Options

Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Options

I was far too embarassed! 

Not sure whether I can actually make it up the stairs now,  though!

Took another leaf out of your book and made the last 6 miles 4 laps around my house -I'm sure it was running without a bottle in my hand that made me faster!!I

• Options

Loads of awesome training being banked. My weekend however was less than ideal. Picked up after work on Thursday and drove to Dover, stuck in horrendous traffic so arrved about midnight. Left 6:30 am Friday heading for Berlin, traffic was the worst I've been in for a while, arrived Berling 11:30pm. Saturday was mooching around, eating and drinking far too much (well, not drinking for me - why dont the Germans do cider)

SUnday was the Garmin BErlin Velothon - 70 mile closed road sprotive which was awesome. 3:22, average 20mph, including a 4 minute puncture repair and 3 minute queuing for drinks refills.

Yesterday was a repeat of Friday in reverse, only we went from Berlin to Stoke, stopping only for the ferry. Left Berlin at 7am arrived home 11pm 880 miles pretty much non stop

I feel properly broken now. I know it was a rubbish training weekend, but the event was just awesome. Fully closed roads, roads, dragging a large line up the autobahn, massive support along all the roads - what a day. The downside was it was very nearly 30 degrees!

I'm planning on a run with club later then back to something useful tomorrow

• Options

Matt.....a 4 minute puncture repair.......it takes me that long to wipe the tears from my eyes and get the bloody wheel off the bike......amazing...image

• Options

Well done to everyone drawing on their last reserves.

Since outlaw half I've done a 12 mile run and 40 mile bike. Really cross as this is supposed to be big weeks but my quads just say no. Didn't feel too bad after the half and had 3 days off. Also had couple of migraines but this is now the last big week and I've still done nothing. Want to run 18 and bike 100 this weekimage

• Options

Ive got 70 hilly miles this coming weekend, flat out in the fens 112 the weekend after. Need to get 1 or 2 2:30 runs in and some swimming

Southern Snail - come do the Flat out in the Fens 112, I think there's a group of us going

• Options

112 miles 2 weeks  before? I wouldnt go for it SS if your s first timer the aim is to get to the start fit snd rested and ready to go just my take on it, image

• Options
    Britrisky wrote (see)

I was far too embarassed! 

Not sure whether I can actually make it up the stairs now,  though!

Took another leaf out of your book and made the last 6 miles 4 laps around my house -I'm sure it was running without a bottle in my hand that made me faster!!I

If you can't make it up the stairs Brit, i'm afraid you might never make it down.  Sounds like enforced rest to me! image I usually have a bottle on a belt that also has a gel bottle on it, but for some reason for the past couple of weeks i've been loath to wear it. I can't bear to carry stuff in my hands either.  The past two runs i've also done without my iPod, as i'll not be using it at the Outlaw.  Having loads of drink stations will be brilliant though, sooooo much easier!

seren nos wrote (see)

Matt.....a 4 minute puncture repair.......it takes me that long to wipe the tears from my eyes and get the bloody wheel off the bike......amazing...image

LOL Seren!!!! I'd be the same, except I'd probably spend the first 4 mins thinking "shit, i KNEW i should have practiced repairing a puncture...."

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

A slight hitch to my finish strong plan as a minor procedure I've been waiting for, for the last 4 months, happened at 10am this morning, I got 1hrs notice! But downside is absolutely no swimming for 7 days which wipes out 2 of my remaining 7 swims and I need to double the distance I'm doing now.

But can't be helped so I will deal with it, might try and get over to another lake to up my swims to 3 per week next week and the week after. Will concentrate on my running and cycling this week although I'm also not allowed to do either of those today.

If I'd have know it was happening to day I'd have done something yesterday and this morning but it is what it is.

I'm doing flat out in the fens as my last big training session to kick off the taper. I have to say it is quite hard not to just stop now!

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

How come Rosie was behind you image

I did start 15 mins before him image

• Options

Yup, Fens is the last big event I'm doing. Then its taper time, few days doing nothign and then some tri club swim sessions and steady bikes / short runs. The travels has battered me though this weeekend. Ive just had to have a 3 hour power nap! Missed the club away run. Will go long running Saturday, get some short runs this week and a bike or two.

Heading to OW thursday if I can get home from work early enough

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

My weekend of work left me battered.

Got home after 7pm after my 59 hour 'shift'...managed a short 4 mile 'run' then ate, drank a couple of glasses of red beverage and fell asleep on the sofa!

Today I felt awful (fell asleep in a meeting in the afternoon!), but managed a gentle 2.5k swim before work and a 31.5 mile bike after.

Have spent evening nervously dismantling my bike and packing it up to fly to Alps on Friday - so no more cycling until Saturday. Will swim and run tomorrow, run +/- open water swim on Thursday - then nothing Friday.

Desperately lacking in bricks, so will try and focus on short bricks after I get back from France.

Eek

• Options

Is anyone else having trouble getting into z4? I'm fitting all my sessions in but today's 30 min in z4 was barely in z3 for most of the time - I'm just too tired to work any harder.

Am I being a wimp or are others struggling as well?

• Options

K9.........after those hours there is no way I could have done any training.you are a machine.......a couple of days without the bike will be good for you....

Britrisky..you have been getting the long stuff in so its not suprising that you are struggling with the higher intesity stuff..don't worry as you are getting the sessions in.....

I am struggling as usual......I am always tired all year around.have been for decades.just me.......but had a nice run with club last night and hoping to get out on the bike today

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

z4 Britrisky???

I'm having trouble getting above z1

(not that I really know what all these zs are - but I'm guessing that tootling along at a HR of 100 on the bike is z1!!)

That reminds me - I discovered my HRM in the washing machine this morning. It's been through a 40 degree wasj.

I fear the prognosis may not be too good!!

• Options

Only on hills do I get into zone 2 on the bike (160bpm plus), it is months since I have been anywhere near zone 1 other than run intervals.

Quick question for Garmin and the like users. I have a target time in mind that I would like to complete the run in. Is it a dangerous tactic to set the Garmin to alert me when my average pace drops below that needed to achieve my target? I am thinking it could panic me etc and throw me even more off track.

• Options
    Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Quick question for Garmin and the like users. I have a target time in mind that I would like to complete the run in. Is it a dangerous tactic to set the Garmin to alert me when my average pace drops below that needed to achieve my target? I am thinking it could panic me etc and throw me even more off track.

Have you got the 910XT?  If so, maybe use the Virtual Partner?  My ride/run sessions are all uphill or downhill so i can never maintain a steady pace/speed throughout the laps.  If i see that I'm behind at certain points i can put in a bit more effort to 'catch up'.  Is good over longer distances particularly - especially when i can do a bit on analysis on the PC when i get back and measure it against my HR...

ultimately though, I haven't done this as a full on iron distance race/brick so i expect to bike and swim slower on the day than i am in training.  dont know if this is a helpful comment or not image

• Options

I agree 112miles bike 2 weeks out is too much for me personly but have a great day matt and all others doing it.

I've been poncing about doing nothing but this is not the time to lose my mojo so done a brick session this morning and OW swim later. Looks like it'll be just as wet out of the lake as in it. When is summer going to arrive

• Options

Stanners the run on IM is a different beast to A stand slone i start out at a very conservative pace that ithink i  could maintain for the run at the halfway mark if i am feeling good i then start to up the pace and i fo the same again at 20 miles i would always race it on feel rather than chasing a vitual partner, apart from last years Outlaw where the wheels fell of with cramp i have msnaged to run 5 out of 6 IM marathons using this strategy

• Options

Speedwork i have never gone near z4 for fear of injuring myself a do speedwork but at  a perceived effort of no more than around 85% trust me you will not be hitting Z4 on race dayimage

• Options

Cheers JD and RBB

• Options

I think for me z4 = heart attack.  I tend not to exert myself that muchimage

• Options

Zone 4 should only exist on a tube map

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hey!!! Garmin HRM can survive the washing machine

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Zone 4 should only exist on a tube map

Hehehehe

• Options

Keep up the good Work, your all going to be great On the day!

someone mentioned sun cream, there will be plenty on the day, for both the run and bike, normally there are some nice ladies ready to smother you in cream before you go on the run!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

I'll be doingporridge with banana and honey at 3am

• Options

Holy crap, 3am!!!! I'm not getting up before 4am, porridge and banana approx 4.15.