Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Agreed RBB, I'd take 23 degrees any day of the week!

Matt, glad you are in the relaxed camp, I was beginning to feel a little worried about not feeling worried.

Fink brick session yesterday was so enjoyable. 2 hours on the bike and a 30 minute run hardly registered and decided to head out in to the Peaks which was a nice change from the last 10 weeks riding the Cheshire flats.

Hour run planned for this afternoon and I am going to practice changing a tube for the 1st time! Any good online resources people can recommend for clinchers?

Might also start packing which means kit choice. I met up with Slower than I Look for lunch last week and relieved him of his Pirate monaco. Not is not as comfortable as my  Skins kit but think the extra support you get in the yelow and black might be worth it

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Ill be delighted with 23 degrees - I usually worry most about getting too cold. I much prefer warmth but will need to be careful to drink plenty I am rubbish at that.

I managed a very poor 500ml (or even less) during yesterdays 63 mile sportive!

LMH - its actually the cycling which aggravates the sciatica - probably because my bike set up is all wrong - I have the seat right back to favour my left knee - which gets really angry otherwise. This seems to strain my right hamstrings/ piriformis etc and the scaitica results.

It got bad last week from the Alps cycling trip...its a lot better now and yesterdays cycling hasnt made it worse at all.

So - I've done my usual pool swim. Will do a slow run. Been invited for an evening river swim which I might do - but only if my mum can talk me through videoing the tour highlights at 7pm over the phone! I can never work the blasted thing.image

Not a lot planned for the week. Maybe an easy ride or run or such like. Bit of short pool swimming.

I cant do nothing at all. It's not possibleimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Stanners....have you seriously never changed a tube before? you've NEVER had a puncture? I SO need to get whatever tyres you've got. Either that or move to somewhere with better roads!

• Never in my life so got some learning ahead of me this afternoon!

I've trained all winter on Continental Gatorskins which have been phenominal (even on crap Cheshire roads) but just too heavy for a quick time, so I have changed to Continental Force / Attack

• K9 fit is do important for comfort on a bike to late to change your position now as it could cause you more problems thsn it sorts in the short time if you give me a shout over the weekend i would be more than happy to look at your fit and advise you what to have a look at after the race, I am not a qualified fitter but have read heaps on the subject and have sorted my mates bikes for a few years now

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Thanks Ridgeback...

It may just be my old wrecked body though.

I had a proper retul fit last year but it felt 'wrong' straightaway for my left knee - I can feel my patella maltracking, and once my knee really flares up it takes ages to settle again. I got the Retul fit done after I developed hamstring tendonitis on the other side from the knee problem!

I put the bike back to how it had been. knee has been the best it's been and hamstring grumbling but not so bad....but then got scaitica instead! 

Have been trying to find a half way house to suit both legs!!

The bike shop I was in yesterday reckon the bike I am on is too big - which may be true. They are going to take a look too - but I agree - it's too late for next week.

I may well be a lot better without the mileage I've been doing for Outlaw anyway...

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Stanners - I have a gatorskin on my back wheel. They are pretty good, but quite slow I agree. I still managed to get a puncture on it in my half IM last year though ..Grr - that was glass. I've also had a thorn-related puncture this year

• I got sold a bike that was to big for my first roadbike i could never grt the set up tight snd in my ignorance thuought that my lower back killing me eas part of riding a race bikeimage when i twigged i flogged it brought a bike from s decent dealer and never looked backimage i am quite suprised the Retul didnt tell you the bike was go big i have seen some crap " pro " fits that take no account of the individuals flexability and what they are trying to acheive i.e sn ironman fit is going to be a lot less agressive than a 25 mile TT position

• A chair?

You will need a large wet flannel.........to wipe the big stupid grin off your faceimage

• lots of food and drink and somewhere to sleep...

To be honest if you have never done an ultra event you will have no idea how your body will react.you might need a wheel chair to get yourself around the next day if your body seizes up with DOMS.......which would be made worse by a long car journey straight afterwardsimage

• I just had a lovely morning ride on the bike,..it was windy out so i tried to take the front quite a bit.....image

• Seriously you may have trouble walking more a shuffle and stairs may have to be negotiated on your bumimage that should give the kids a laugh, only had it that bad once  when me and a certain Mr Cona were hammering the run at Outlaw I got a massive PB but I was in bits the next day poor Cona ended up in the Med tent at the finishimage

• Just realised what happened to Captain Jack Sparrer who started this thread are you racing?

• leave the pump where it is.if you are unlucky enough to need to use it the 30 secs putting on and off your bento box won't matter next to the time taken to sort out the new inner tube.........

also you will need the pocket on the monaco for the food

• Wonder how Gym addict is getting on today.............go go Gym addick.hopefully on the run now image

• I shall be glad when I can stop worrying. Just bought 2 x bottle cages for behind the saddle as there seems to be a possibility of going through a lot of hydration.

Cycled 15 miles on mountain bike with a stop for lunch one for shopping and 1 for a drink. All done over about 4 hours. Was exhausted when I got homeimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I'm sure I'm going to get serious nerves at some point (soon) but right now I am SO enjoying the taper.

Not sure what that says!!

Im actually looking forward to next weekend. Partly to get it over with as before but also because I feel I have themental and physical energy. For something big (-at last!!)

•  

Did my last ride today, Great Manchester Cycle, 52 miles in 3.05, with avg 16.9mph. Legs feel great and hydration went well, 3lts High 5, 6 gels,not to clever with the food though, flapjack cubes( struggled to get it out of the bento) mini malt loaf felt like I was eating glue, imageno probs with the banana, any other suggestions?

• 2 gels an hour and 1litre of High5 an hour may well be enough carb intake for you?

Have you worked out your requirements? 

• No, not sure, so if I work on 7 1/2 hours on the bike I should Take on 15 gels and 71/2 lts of high 5 ???

• I think you'd be sloshing ...

I work on a gel every 20 mins and water OR a gel every 30 mins and high 5 which seems to work for me at my bodyweight v carbs needed
    From memory about 60g per hour

• Taper Pixie taper ! easy short spiins, jogs or a quick swim now just to stop stuff seizing up image conserve that energy your gonna need itimage