Hi, I'm Martin...

...and I'm contemplating sending off a form for the Henley on Thames Triathlon (Super Sprint or Sprint - undecided).

I'm meant to be having a L5 - S1 fusion next March/April but not too sure whether or not I'll have it done as we have a new born and a 2 year old.  Will be a struggle for Mrs N looking after 3 babies!

I've used running to lose a few stone for the operation (2 so far, 1 to 2 to go) but am slow...very slow.  However, I've fallen in love with plodding as .... well it makes me feel good.  A pleasent change after suffering with GAD for several years.

Not sure whether or not I'll be a runner post op or not so I'm thinking maybe delaying and doing a few things i may struggle to do in the future.  

Can just about plod a 40 min 5k, can cycle fine and can swim .... sort of.  My biggest worry is the thought of any form of lycra clothing image

Waffle over.

Martin

Comments

• Welcome aboard Martin!

Don't worry about wearing the lycra, worry for those that can see you. Are you local to Henley?

• Good thinking IC :0)

Not a gazillion miles away. Live near Leighton Buzzard so I'm guessing in the region of 30 miles.
  • If it's any consolation Martin I find running road races by themselves much harder than running at the end of a triathlon, and the recovery seems to be quicker.

• Welcome Martin!  Go for it. You won't regret it.  

• Hope the operation goes well, and good luck with your triathlon debut.

• Cheers for the responses all!

• Welcome, Martin! I have just had an enforced 6-month lay-off after a hip replacement (hence the name) but will be back to running tomorrow, hurray!

• Good luck Bionic! I've heard it could be 12 to 18 months out....this displeases me. Hoping to find some folk who have had the procedure who have taken up a good level of activit afterwards. Seem to be few and far between.