Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Comments

• I finished my running week today with a very comfortable 20 miles through the New Forest. It was a little slower than I would have liked as we were trying to keep a group together so no one got lost, so average pace for the run was just under 8.30 a mile. Everyone else finished at about 16-18 miles, so I then finished with a two mile blast at sub 7 minute miles around the same hilly mile loop we were using for yesterdays fartlek to make it up to 20 miles.

Feel really fresh and could quite happily do a load more miles today. Finishing this week with a total of 74 miles, my biggest week of miles.

Will see how I go with my foot again, it wasn't an issue today, just feels bruised not painful more a dull ache occasionally or if i land on a stone????
  • Hi AW - important thing is you got the miles in and finished strongly - looks like you need to ice the foot and get treatment just to be safe. what is fairly mild bruising now could get much worse.

sorry to hear you didn't have a great run at Birmingham CC2. Yes, I was there on reporting duties.

I did Lydd HM today. Bit disappointed to be a few seconds down on my time last week on much harder course. This week was very flat but it was very cold and windy, However lots from my club did PBs so obviously wasn't that bad but wasn't 100% and a bit lazy in last few miles and ran tactical to win from the group I was with. I did pick up a British Masters Championships bronze but lucky as one M50 athlete ahead hadn't entered the championships. 

• Congrats on the medal Steve. My club are always drumming it in to us - always tick the box! 

• This weeks schedule.

Mar 11th: 5 miles slow

Mar 12th 5 x 1600m in approx 5:45-6:00 total 8M

Mar 13 10 mile steady at 7 min 30 miles

Mar 14: 8 miles with 5 miles of alternate 2 mins of 10K pace, marathon pace,steady jog

Mar 15th: rest

Mar 16: 6M fartlek

Mar 17: 23M steady in 7:30 to 8 min miles with 5M (ideally 15-20 at sub-7:00s)

week total: 60M
  • Congrats on the bronze medal Steve.

5 miles easy done early doors. Not much to add really, pretty uneventful. Will try and see a physio about the ball of my foot this week if I can get an appointment, its not affecting my running but like Steve say, better to be safe and get it checked.

What recoveries would you like me to take on the mile reps tomorrow Steve, was thinking 1 minute??
  • A medal is always nice Steve congratulations.  Just missed out on vets prizes yesterday at Salisbury but was very happy to be a shade under 2mins quicker than last year, I also feel about that mucher better at this stage.  I then ran a 2nd lap in 67 for a good 22M overall, I was glad to have a couple of gels with me on the 2nd lap.

• Well done oon the medal Steve

Good mileage for last week AW. Looks a good 23 miler planned for next week with that 5 mile block of sub 7's. I'm trying to build up the blocks of MP to longer stretches, so next week I hope to do 3 lots of 3 miles @ MP.

I ended up doing my long run on Saturday night as I was keeping yesterday free for family stuff Mothers Day / sister in law's 40th. So was pleased with the 2.31.47 time after spending the ehol day at Alton Towers. First 10 was 1.19.20 and the 2nd 10 was broke up with 2 miles fast (6.45 - 6.52 pace) and 1 mile slower (7.30 pace).

Great result for you Choisty and added on 2nd lap to get your long run in - looking good. I was hoping to do the same yesterday with a local 6 mile road race, then run home, but was busy with family stuff.

• KR I should of been doing family stuff and am still in the dog house somewhat especially as there is no trip to Paris at the end of it this year!

• CC2 - I agree with AW, well done for finishing.

Steve - well done

AW - 74mile weekimage

AW - are there any areas you want to discuss now about nutrition, are you happy with pre-race breakfast & timings and can you replicate in Paris? Race plan - i so think you have this nailed but again any doubts?

In the taper before carb load, you do need to be careful and make sure you are not eating like you are still training with big miles so just taper back on portions and snack sizes and you should be OK but do not cut out carbs, keep these in little & often. If you don't your bodies ability to uptake carbs may  be compromised come carb load days.

• Hi Ruth,

That's exactly what I was going to ask you. During the taper how to gauge food volume that I actually need? I think the only week it will be a major issue is the last week leading to the race as the two weeks before wont be so much short of what I am doing now.

I'm happy with the carb loading part, I'm going to write an eating schedule down for Friday and Saturday and make sure I have everything I need with me. I will take weetabix with me for my Saturday night snack, but will I be able to get milk at the hotel or do they have fridges or anything in the room?

As we're eating late on Friday I will take a sandwich to eat on the train or about 6pm rather than have a snack before bed.

Is there anything else I need to think of?

I'm happy with my pre race breakfast and snack now. 3.5 hours before race Weetabix with a bit of dried fruit, a couple of bits of toast and jam with coffee, and then a banana 1.5 hours before race. I will use SIS Go gels for the race at 6, 11, 16, 21 miles, I will also take an SIS Go gel with caffeine in case I need it in the latter stages, but don't plan to use it unless I'm struggling.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Nice one Steve image

• good runs KR and Choisty.

AW on mile reps yes start every 7 minutes and aim for just inside 6s as start and only go faster if you feel comfortable.

• Today's session was meant to be 5 x 1600m, I decided to skip the session today and just ran the 8 miles steady at 7.30 pace. After warming up my legs didn't feel right, my right hamstring was especially a bit tight and felt a little delicate so didn't think pushing the pace was a good idea today.

I'm sure its nothing, I just wanted to be cautious with only 3 weeks until race day. I completed the 8 miles today without a problem, leg just felt a bit twingy on the odd occasion. I have a massage booked for this afternoon so hopefully that will loosen it off.

What's more important Steve, shall I shift mile reps to Thursday or do session that's planned on Thursday?
  • Betterbe safe that sorry. We are coming to the end of our training and the legs are going to be tired. I have managed to do my last 20M today but I could my legs we tired.

3 weeks to go on Sunday. The hardest thing for me will be to watch out what I am eating

• yes best to have an easier day today - Normally the mile reps would be more important but I think maybe best just to do Thursday session which is slightly easier and then you should be fresher for weekend

• Better to be a bit cautious AW, I think you did the right thing. How did the massage go?

Nice photo Denis!

4 x 2k reps tonight at the local park. Still a bit cold and had multiple layers on which made me feel a bit restrictive! Still not too bad times 7.43, 7.40, 7.40 & 7.33/. Mad it up to 10 miles with a longer slow jog home.

• Good 2k reps KR, I missed my mile reps today, its one of my favorite sessions. Massage was good, hamstring feeling a bit raw now! There must have been a slight issue with it given the pain while it was being ironed out and its a bit tender now!
  • I know what you man about favourite ssessions AW. The 2k reps is mine in a strange way - usually dread them, but glad when they are done and know the benefit from them. Is there any stretches or drills that Sarah give advise for you to do to help out / strenghten / loosen the hamstring?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice session there KR. I'm off to the track tonnight for first time this year. Looks like it is going to be pretty cold though so I may find similar restrictions caused by clothing. I will see how much I can strip down once my warm-up is done. I realise I need to man-up but.................

6 x 800m as part of a 9 miler planned and really looking forward to it. It seems like I have been plodding forever. Now the endurance base is in place hopefully I can inject a bit of speed and make those MP miles seem easier. This is the part of the training I loved when I was younger but I haven't been in this place (endurance wise) for years so hoping it will all come flooding back.

I shall let you know tomorrow!

Not long now AW. How is that foot feeling?

• I'm pretty good with stretching and I am fairly flexible KR, goes back to when I did a lot of martial arts training at University and I've retained a good amount of flexibility. I try and foam roller regularly and spend plenty of time at the end of runs stretching, I think this time its just an accumulation of running and racing. 

Enjoy the 800's at the track DS2, I don't get to the track too often, but do like a good session there. You can definitely generate a bit more speed in the reps at the track.

• I had 10 miles at a steady 7.30 pace scheduled for today, and what I did was 10 miles at 7.23 a mile.

My legs felt really battered from my massage today. He really worked my hamstrings in particular quite hard, and I find after that kind of really hard deep tissue work it can take me a couple of days to recover and get a bit of spring back in my legs. 

The result of this was a real hard slog of a run, really no pleasure at all in the run for me today, I just wanted it to finish as soon as I left the house! I'm glad to have got it done though when the easy option would have been to have a rest day and I'm sure I will be better for it and my legs will loosen off a bit.

I think part of the tightness and tiredness may well be the fact I have not had a day off running since the Friday before my half marathon the weekend before last as I was at the New Forest training camp this last weekend and ran on the Friday when I usually have my rest day. Will definitely be having this Friday as rest!

• good solid speed session KR

strong run today AW though a slog. i did 8 miles today in two parts and barely went sub-10 in 2nd part on own over 5 miles and didn't feel easy - 7:23 would have been relative sprinting to me!

yesterday did 10x800 off start every 4 minutes and struggled to reach bare minimum target. Just about did but would have hoped for 5-10 secs better if feeling fresher

• Still a good run AW & well paced 10 miler AW - another one ticked off.

Hope your track session went well DS2. It good to get a few weeks back to back speed work under th belt to feel sharp again.

Sounds like a tough run Steve. Those 10 x 800 reps are a tough session.

I missed my (10 mile) run tonight as I had to take my lad to football training then Mrs KR went to the cinema. Was planning on going out when she returned but at 10.30 she'd still not got back so decided to have a night off and get an early night. Will make it up a bit tomorrow with a 14 miler with some MP / HMP combined miles.

• Hey AW was just put onto this thread from a mate who's a keen runner. I'm running my first ever marathon at Paris this year and am gonna take some notes from your training. Best of luck with it, looks like you're going great!

• Hi Ruth,

I've put together a plan for food from Thursday to race day, would I be able to send it to you to have a look at? Just to check if its ok? If so maybe you could PM me with where to send it?
  • AW - well done on getting out there, even if it felt tough. Enjoy your rest day tomorrow.

I have a quick question for Steve and Ruth if that's ok, which hopefully will be helpful to everyone else on this thread...

I always seem to get ill after a long race. I had a great HM on Sunday but then predictably have been unwell since Monday. Is there anything I can do to help stop this? I eat and drink well, but perhaps not as well as I should... In particular, I wonder if I have a zinc deficiency but it's hard to tell?

Many thanks

• Hi Aw, sorry missed that one! Has it eased following the massage? Did he go into the foot and release all the deep tissue there? Rolling on a golf ball is good. If not settled then def get a physio to look at it it's so close now don't risk it. It's probably come form the fact you have so tight and tired don't be afraid to take those rest days. It's all about balance over the next couple of weeks.

• Hi Aw - hope all feeling better and enjoy a rest tomorrow - you deserve it.  As you know, the next few weeks are when the doubts start to creep in but you've done the work and unless you're really unlucky or do something stupid (like I did last w/e when failed to set alarm, woke up an hour and half late and so arrived at the race start half exhausted after rushing!) you'll be fine.  

Steve - I'd be really interested to know how much cycling you'll be doing alongside your running in your taper phase.