Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

1282930313234»

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Great running Rennie. Being a relative youngster at 49 I like to draw on the likes of you and Steve for inspiration. I'm 50 on VLM race day next year so will be hoping to be close to 3 hours. I've returned to serious running after many years and it's not as easy as it was for me in the mid 90's.

Seeing performances like yours gives me hope. Well done.
  • Hi Rennie, Sub 3 is around the corner. My view is that the trick is training for sub 2h55m. You can then still be conservative then and get your sub3.

Great session Nutterman. it does seem well within reach with those HM times.

Steve, I also ran a 88 first half. I must admit I got mixed feelings. From the very start I didn't feel great. It didnt help that it seems virtually every runner started way too fast around me almost sprinting in some cases.

Even waiting for the start the sun was quite strong and I could feel my head and neck feeling quite warm. For me it was not so  much the heat in terms of temperature but the direct sun and lack of shade.

I took me a couple of miles to get some sort of natural rythm going. I've done a couple of fairly large marathons but London really takes the biscuit as far as crowds of runners is concerned.

I stuck to my pace plan and got to the half 10 seconds behind schedule in just over 88 minutes.

At this point I could already see loads of runners slowing down and some even cramping up and walking.

You'd think runners capable of an 85 minute half would know better and pace themselves conservatively. It's a mistery to me why so many people after weeks of training and mental preparation would set off too quickly.

You can't avoid sites and forums talking about the importance of conservative pacing early on!! What are people thinking!!??

I understand the heat may have played a part (certainly in my case) and the harsh winter may have not allowed some not so serious runners to get the necessary long runs but at one point people were actually sprinting and we hadnt even crossed the river yet.

Anyway, by mile 18 I started feeling the effort and started to mentally recalculate and visualise the rest of the race. At that point I had a strong suspicion I would not be able to get a 38/39 minute last 10K as I intended. As it turns out I ran the last 10K in 39:38

I ran the 2nd half in just over 86 minutes (1minute 40 second negative split). In the last 7K I overtook 240 people and I was overtaken by 2 runners.

Will go out for a jog today as I feel pretty good and will resume proper training next week.

Steve, I'm running the BUPA 10K in just udner 5 weeks. Is there a particular structure or speed session you would recommend to improve leg strength in that short period?

Apologies for the long post!!

• Great running from the weekend. Congrats to Yasunaga on your sub 3 and PB, great run.

I know you wanted sub 3 Rennie, but still a PB so well run.

I hope the hamstring is ok Steve? Not seen any of the coverage yet, but will have a look at some point this week.

Good duathlon there Nutterman. Looking good for your marathon.

Just back from Hamburg, a really nice place and good marathon. Would recommend it. I ran with my other half, who wanted to run a PB so I helped pace her round. A little quicker than I was going to run as a result, but comfortable all the way. She wanted to run sub 3.30 and we came through at 3.25.xx, so she's very happy with that!

Feel fine now, just felt like a normal long run and recovered all ready. Will take the next week off to be sure and return to running on the 1st of May I think.
  • Just out of interest, AW, what are your revised running goals and ambitions now that you've gone sub-3? Are there more marathon's in the pipeline, and if so, do you have a new target to aim for over that distance? Might you be focusing on shorter races over the summer?

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I nearly forgot to update this thread as I've posted my race report in 'Sub 3:15'. I completed the VLM in 2:56:41 which was a 13 minute PB. Thanks very much for all the help and advice from everyone here.

• Hi Cookbox,

I have actually spent this week planning for the next 6 months. The main focus will be shorter stuff for the next few months, 5 and 10k's, trying to build some more speed. The main goal for the rest of this year will be to try and get my HM time down to well below 80 min, maybe 76/77. I'm planning on running an October half as my main goal race.

The ultimate goal over the next year or so is to try and run sub 2.45 now for the marathon. I have GFA for London next year now so will run that as my next marathon.

How about you? What are your plans now?
  • Great result Badbark, congratulations on your PB.
  • Not dissimilar to your goals, actually AW. Very much looking to focus on improving my speed over 5km and 10km over the summer months. I'm discovering that I'm very much a stamina-reliant runner, but if I want to make improvements on my first marathon time, I know I need to be able to run more comfortably at faster speeds than I can currently. Again, like you, I have a half marathon lined up for the autumn, and I've set myself the challenge of knocking my PB down from 83mins to below 80.

From then, I'd love to run next year's London Marathon. Assuming they don't shift the goalposts too much from this year's criteria, I think my 03:00:29 from Paris might be enough for a GFA?? I also have a guaranteed entry up my sleeve for New York in November next year, courtesy of the 2012 postponement.

• Sean here, sat next to you at 26.2 bootcamp, seems a long time ago!

Congrats on the Paris PB! looked out for you all around the finish area but didn't see any of you! Bootcamp spurred me on to a 3.04 debut marathon in Paris so was delighted with that.

Looking ahead to an autumn marathon now (considering Warsaw or Chester - bizarre I know) hoping to go sub 2.55. I like the look of your Paris training schedule. Do you have it all in a document with training paces etc so I can check it out?

Also will be moving back to London in Sept, which club do you run for? Remember you saying you were North London area.

Good luck with the next phase!

• Hi Sean,

Fantastic run at Paris, well done! 

You can see my schedule here! The paces are about right, but for the most part of the schedule I was hitting a little bit quicker paces than on the schedule.

I run for London Heathside, they are a really friendly bunch and I have enjoyed running with them over the last year. The runs go from Finsbury Park, Crouch End, Highgate, Hampstead Heath and I think there is one more a bit further away from me at a park, cant remember where it is. Lots of different sessions going on over the different days.

If you want any more info give me a shout.

• Hi AW, well done again in Paris. Good to see you have the rest of the year planned out!

I got a 6 minute PB in Manchester last week of 3.04.37 which I was well pleased with. I think a sub 3 was pushing it a bit for me this time, but hoping it will come next Spring. I managed a negative split too of 1.33.xx & 1.31.xx which I believe helped. I felt a lot stronger in the second half and was overtaking people from 18 miles to the finish, not necessairly as I was getting quicker rather than others were slowing down.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

A belated congratulations KR. Great time. You seem to be improving at a steady rate and consistently c5 minutes quicker than me. A neg split as well, great work fella.image

• Great stuff KR! Congratulations, a really well run marathon with a nice negative split!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

AW - what are your plans now? Sub 2:50? Possibly even a Championship qualifying time???

KR - I think I completely forgot to add my congrats on the Sub 3:15 thread. Work has been manic and I've hardly been posting. However, that was a great run with a big negative split. I assume you are gaining confidence in a Sub 3 attempt?

• Thanks DS2, gained a bit more confience and edged a bit closer to the 3 hour mark.

• Hi - Really delighted with how it went at Edinburgh.  2:58:57 - did it!  New PB by 16mins!  Felt really comfortable throughout and didn't go off too fast and kept exactly to target pace to do 1:28 for first half.  Slowed a little bit from mile 23 because I was getting tired and knew I was on track.

Huge thanks to Steve, AW and others on here for the advice and training plan etc.  Pretty much used  the same plan and no doubt the volume and consistency of run training made the difference.   Thanks again.