The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Malcs wrote (see)

LOL - yes he was definitely more on another planet than this one. I didn't have the energy to lose him so I went for the 'slow down and let him overtake' option. Problem is he was going incredibly slow. I guess it was quite an impressive show of balance really. I know the Park which he frequents so I'll mention that you're looking for a pace maker next time I see him. Box of white lightning should be enough to secure his services.

Thanks for the detailed description of your stretching strategy btw. I now have an image in my head that I'd rather wasn't there!

I think I may have got away with the 23. Had a little recovery run today and was fine. Sports massage again on the leg tomorrow and back into 3 days of running on Wednesday. Definitely will be a shorter long run at the weekend.

A box of White Lightning? You wait until I see him and introduce him to the cloudy genius that is Old Rosie. Many nights have spiralled out of control thanks to that cloudy cider. Not recently mind!

How long does your sports massage last for? I've been trying to arrange mine today, but keep going through to answer phone. I've sent an email instead so all being well, I'll finally have mine by this upcoming weekend. One more the following weekend, and I'll be primed for Paris.

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Sounds like a very interesting final long run! I did my final long run on Saturday jumping over puddles and being blown about by the wind! 20.2 miles! It was a real confidence boosting run. Just need to manage my niggles for a few more weeks! Hope you enjoy the extra free time the taper gives you. Just try not to spend it eating chocolate!

Paulo..........it must be nice to get that long run out of the way and feel your'e on the homeward stretch now. All the more impressive for doing it with the wind blowing. I hate the wind............and I think it's the only weather I've luckily not had to run a marathon in.....not the kind of wind that knocks you from side to side. If it was like this come Paris, I'd struggle not to be beaten before I even started the race!

The extra free time the taper has given me, is already being well utilised by Mrs. Shady Ady this weekend - this seems to be  focusing on shopping and spending money.......I think I might get back to my running before it leaves me bankrupt!

Unfortunately Ruth has requested that there will be no chocolate eating between now and Paris.........I'm not sure how I'll manage when I see my wife enjoying her Easter egg next weekend!

• Boffy wrote (see)

Ady - no need to apologise for a short message! That's the most fullsome response I've ever received on a forum I think.  And this thread is about you, not me, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

I'm obviously disappointed with the result, but it has served as a good reminder of the value of good performances and PB's.  I've knocked off 10+ mins on each of my previous marathons, so I thought I probably would this time around.  The fact I didn't is my own fault really, as all of the factors I listed above (cold aside) are of my own doing, and manifestations of sub-par training/planning/execution.  What was quite interesting is that I've read all about these things, like all of us I guess, and suffered from them all previously at one time or another, but I still did not take enough effort to avoid them - and that came home to roost this time.  Makes you realise how unforgiving the marathon can be.  Still - it's a great reason to try again next year!

On a serious note for Ady, Paris has loads of toilets available at the bag drop area, but none on the way down to the pens, and only one cubicle in the pen.  This caught out a lot of people, and there were queues of them still waiting for those single cubicles as the race started around them and the pens behind them streamed by.  Get in early!

Finally, legs were stiff the following 2 days, but pretty much fine now (although the left quad is still a bit sore).  I think the copious Estrella, tapas and red wine saw away the worst of it. 

Haha...........thanks Boffy..........but I'd like to think this isn't just about me (it helps to take the pressure off slightly thinking this way!). There's many people out there going for a sub 3:30, so all I hope is that something on here helps someone in someway reach their goal! 

I'm glad you're trying to be positive even through your disappointment. There's so many factors involved in running a marathon and if just one of them is off (weather, chaffing, water in cups instead of bottles, a steep hill, etc, etc) then it can knock you off your rhythm more than you expected! There's no doubting you will learn from this experience and come back better and stronger. You'll probably look back on this race in the future and see many more positives than negatives.

I've never faced the audacity of doing a number two without adequate cover during a race though. You have me beaten there! I did once have to get off a bus while in Ecuador due to a dodgy stomach and do my business alongside the verge of the Pan-Americana Highway in the middle of nowhere. This happened just as a tractor full of carrot farmers trundled past. The driver actually stopped and let the farm workers point and laugh at me for a good minute before carrying onwards. One of my lowest moments!

Thanks for the heads up with the toilet situation in Paris. I can't believe the race starts so early 8:45am....even earlier than Parkruns! I'm hoping to get up at 5am or even earlier so my body clock kicks in quickly and I try and make sure all toilet breaks are taken care of before the race. At least the early start means I can follow in your footsteps afterwards by enjoying local cuisine and drink......after a nap of course!

I hope you're enjoying the rest now.........is it too early to be thinking nof your next goal and race?

• Hi Ady...you said that about me running that 20 miler on sunday, but I thought the same about you running 15 miles at MP......I really hope that we both smash that sub 3:30 and as long as nothing goes wrong between now and the race, im sure we will do it. Did Sam advise you to do all the run at MP at the weekend?

You was so unlucky with the weather on sunday....I was the opposite, it stayed dry for me until I got in the car (except for a small amount of drizzle).

Im in france this weekend just doing a 9 mile race so my last long run will be a week on friday now, just over three weeks before London - arrrrrrhhhhh!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Boffy - I couldn't imagine being so desperate as to do what that poor bloke did but then if there's ever an occasion to bring on such desperation then it's the marathon. I think sometimes it has nothing to do with food or drink - your insides just give way because of the sheer exertion.

I had a similar issue on last year's Thunder Run. luckily that's 10K laps so I was able to struggle through the woods and complete my lap before pegging it for the loos. I have to confess that on that final mile I made more than a few glances into the woods looking for a ditch or a cluster of trees that would save my blushes. Thankfully I held on.

Sarah - please don't let that last story put you off coming this yearimage

Ady - my sports massage lasted 30 mins. You can have longer but I found that was enough and I'd prefer to split it over two sessions. I had another one on Tuesday and will do one more 10 days or so before the race. 

Re. payment for your potential pacemaker - I think he'd take anything with alcohol in it. If it makes him "spiral out of control" then all the better. 

Nearly at the end of the week and then it's just 2 weeks to go!

Sarah - I think it's worse for us having these guys two weeks ahead of us. Usually the last 3 weeks are nervy enough but it feels now that this is being drawn out over 5 weeks instead. I can feel the adrenaline as I type this.

My eldest is off school today. Doesn't look too well. Achey and a bit of a sore throat. Isn't it awful that my first thought is to put him in quarantine image

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Week 13 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 11: 152.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 12: 152.4lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 13: 151.8lbs (-0.6lbs)

Total Loss: 11.0lbs

It’s been another week with questionable eating habits and surprisingly, another week of weight loss. I do wonder if I’d been a bit better with the food I’ve eaten over the past few weeks, if I’d already be down to my target weight of 148lbs for Paris.

As Ruth has said if I’d asked myself ‘Do I really need this’ before a few of the questionable food items to pass through my lips, the answer would definitely be no. But it’s easier said than done. My diet now is a million times better than when I started. I don’t eat any fast food now, but to cut out everything, has been a step too far for me. You need a few treats in your life!

With only 3 weeks to go now before Paris, I’m prepared to go that whole extra mile in terms of diet and cut out the few treats I’ve allowed myself. So no more chocolate, crisps, beer or wine….or anything else that Ruth would frown upon. It would be amazing to reach the start line of Paris at my goal weight, and with my miles now reducing in number, I really do need to watch more closely what I eat.

I need to lose another 4lbs roughly in the last 3 weeks. It’s time to focus on that goal even more intently than before!

I do think treats whilst marathon training are a must for most people so I am not that mean but feel now on lower milage... the time has come to be a little mean! image 

Can I suggest you don't weight yourself once you start your two day carb load as you will store water with the carb load and weight is likely to increase a little but don't worry about this.

Food diaries are good but watch how much cheese you use (unless cottage cheese) when you have the ham as a protein....do you also need the cheese?image. Better make a run for it before you comment on that.....

• Ha ha, no Sarah O, Sam did not tell ady to run 15 miles at mp!! It was originally an off road run to be time based, but ady did right thing avoiding mud logged trail and taking to pavements instead. But think this sped him up a tad! No harm done tho and tapering nicely now image
  • Day 95 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (21/03/13)

Target: 4 mile comfortable @ 7:50m/m-8:40m/m

Actual: 4.1 mile jog in 31:25 @ 7:40m/m

I had a bit of a mare this morning. Not only did I sleep through my alarm, forget my lunch and miss my 8am morning meeting, but more importantly, I managed to forget my Garmin.

I've used the excuse before of missing a run due to not having my Garmin. I thought it was lame and embarrassing that I stooped low enough to use it as an excuse once, so there was no way I was going to use it again. Instead I decided to swap my planned interval session today with tomorrow's 4 mile comfortable run.

It was actually a pleasant surprise and quite enjoyable to be running without a watch where you become completely dictated by  the pixelated numbers on the small screen. Without a watch though, there was no knowing exactly how fast I was running. I have a sneaky suspicion that it was quicker than the 7:40m/m I have classed it as. The distance is definitely right though. One good thing about running the same route more or less every day, is that you get to know the exact locations of all the mile splits off by heart and the turning points for 3,4, 5 or 6 mile runs.

It felt very relaxed today and I easily confused myself after starting the run by questioning whether the run should be comfortable or steady. I settled for a pace that felt between the both. Earlier in the week I have felt tired when running but today it felt like I had bundles of energy and with running quicker for only 4 miles, it meant like yesterday, the run felt like it was over before it started!

There was one negative in running news to come from today. The sports masseur that I'd sourced through that wonderful tool called the internet is now fully booked until April 17th. I can't fathom out why!  

I now have to try and find an alternative and attempt to get an appointment amongst the hundreds of our runners who are obviously doing the same as we reach peak Spring marathon running!

I'm glad to have swapped my interval session to tomorrow. It means I can get an extra foam rollering session in tomorrow morning, which will give me extra confidence in pushing my quad harder than usual.

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Hi Ady...you said that about me running that 20 miler on sunday, but I thought the same about you running 15 miles at MP......I really hope that we both smash that sub 3:30 and as long as nothing goes wrong between now and the race, im sure we will do it. Did Sam advise you to do all the run at MP at the weekend?

You was so unlucky with the weather on sunday....I was the opposite, it stayed dry for me until I got in the car (except for a small amount of drizzle).

Im in france this weekend just doing a 9 mile race so my last long run will be a week on friday now, just over three weeks before London - arrrrrrhhhhh!

Hey Sarah........I really hope we do.....I don't know about you, but sometimes I can't help but be a glass half empty kind of person. I know I've given it my best shot in training and my times suggest the possibility of going sub 3:30, but I feel saying this just tempts fate and failure. So like a stereotypical Englishman, I will remain reserved! You on the other hand, well you;re just going to smash that barrier!

I hope you enjoy France and the 9  mile race....this is the race with the town twinned where you live isn't it? Will ther be feasting and celebrations afterwards as well?

As Sam has already said, no she didn't recommend, mention or hint at running the 15 miles at MP. It would have been impossible to have done a decent off-road run nearby due to the weather and rain, so pavements were the best alternative. As my pacing guideline said 'comfortable' I took this too literally and went by my pacing guideline for comfortable, which is 7:50-8:40m/m.

I'll be completely honest. I knew that this would be kind of frowned upon doing. But confidence wise, I wanted to see how I coped attempting to run a normal training run at close to marathon pace. I definitely wasn't planning on running it all at MP. But I started off too quickly and then decided to stick with the pace instead of slowing down. Confidence wise, I definitely feel more relaxed knowing I can already keep the required pace for 15 miles no problem.

Wow London is coming up so quickly now. My wife's charity will have entrants in London, so I might come along with her to watch. It sounds bad, but I find it hard to watch a marathon, as all it does is make me wish I was running it!

Enjoy France!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - my sports massage lasted 30 mins. You can have longer but I found that was enough and I'd prefer to split it over two sessions. I had another one on Tuesday and will do one more 10 days or so before the race. 

Re. payment for your potential pacemaker - I think he'd take anything with alcohol in it. If it makes him "spiral out of control" then all the better. 

Nearly at the end of the week and then it's just 2 weeks to go!

Hey Malcs........30 mins was what I was looking at getting as well. Now that I've found out the proposed massage centre is fully booked until mid-April, I'll have to turn my attentions elsewhere and look to see if there's somewhere else nearby where I can get one. Stupidly it never crossed my mind that there would be other runners wanting to do exactly the same kind of thing at this time of year! If I struggle to get an appointment in the next few days, I'll turn my attention to getting one a week before the marathon itself.

It doesn't feel right saying '2 weeks to go'.....where has the time gone!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 20th March 2013

6:20am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk.

9:00am - Cup of tea

10:00am - Bottle of water

11:00am - Bottle of water, banana

12:00pm - 3 mile jog (see earlier for full description).

1:00pm - Lunch - Ham, cheese and avocado sandwich on wholemeal bread, bottle of water

2:00pm - Cup of tea, Muller Fat Free Yoghurt

3:30pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water

5:30pm - Apple, cup of tea

7:30pm - Dinner - Piece of River Cobbler (I've never heard of this fish before!), baked fish cake, macaroni and cheese (I think Ruth is going to have a field day with cheese being in every single meal!), broccoli. Pint of squash

8:30pm - Muller Fat Free Yoghurt, pint of squash

10:00pm - Fairtrade Hot chocolate

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

I do think treats whilst marathon training are a must for most people so I am not that mean but feel now on lower milage... the time has come to be a little mean! image 

Can I suggest you don't weight yourself once you start your two day carb load as you will store water with the carb load and weight is likely to increase a little but don't worry about this.

Food diaries are good but watch how much cheese you use (unless cottage cheese) when you have the ham as a protein....do you also need the cheese?image. Better make a run for it before you comment on that.....

Ruth......you can be as mean as you like if it helps get me to finish under 3:30. I've now gone 4 days without a single piece of cake, chocolate or crisp. I now see that cheese might join the list of banned substances! image

As we are leaving for Paris on the Friday, luckily I wont get chance to weight myself while enjoying the carb-load extravaganza. I'll only get to weight myself once I get back from Paris after eating my body weight in fondue as well! My plan is to hit my target weight the Friday morning before we leave, then I can carb-load knowing that my first goal of the training campaign has already been met!

Back to the cheese...........you are probably (more like definitely!) correct in saying that I didn't need the cheese....but it was extra mature and sooooooo tasty, I couldn't resist. I'll try and watch my consumption for now then!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)
    Ha ha, no Sarah O, Sam did not tell ady to run 15 miles at mp!! It was originally an off road run to be time based, but ady did right thing avoiding mud logged trail and taking to pavements instead. But think this sped him up a tad! No harm done tho and tapering nicely now image

Hi Sam....I hope all is well with you. You are correct in thinking the pavements sped me up too much. I was running quickly between the flooded parts of the road, and this meant my mile pace started off much quicker than I wanted it to be. At the same time though it felt comfortable and that little voice in my head was saying 'don't slow down now.........that's like how you ran before Paris marathon training started.' So instead I tried to maintain the same pace from then onwards.

Tapering going well so far.......it doesn't actually feel like I'm tapering to be honest, as I'm still running the same amount of times. I like it! 

• Ady- are you anywhere near Richmond?  I know you said you run in Richmond park sometimes. I have a very good sports physio in Richmond you you want the details.

Well done on all your hard work by the way, I have been following but not much time to post. Hope you're enjoying taper madness!

• Hey Brolish...........thanks very much. I used to live in Chiswick, but have moved further west to Woking now. But Richmond still is only a short train ride away and I'd rather go with someone's recommendation than going blind. I have a couple of other recommendations in the Woking area to ring up, but if they can't see me, then I'd be happy to take on your sports physio recommendation. Thanks very much! 

Not a problem about posting...........it's been so tricky trying to keep on top of this forum with training and work.........and that's not having to run as many miles a week as you do.......so I'm not surprised about the lack of time!

Taper madness is good......not at all what I expected it to be........same quantity, but less mileage. When I've done it before, I've cut out entire runs, rather than keep the same number but reduce the length of each one. 

Thanks again for your offer!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Thursday 21st March 2013

7:20am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk.

9:00am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

10:30am - Costa medium hot chocolate.

12:00pm - 4 mile comfortable run (see earlier for full description).

1:00pm - Lunch - Sausage baguette on brown bread, bottle of Pepsi Max

1:30pm - Bottle of water, cup of tea

4:00pm - Muller fat-free yoghurt, cup of tea

7:30pm - Dinner - Ham and Mushroom pizza and garlic flatbread (approx. 700 calories in total), pint of squash

8:30pm - Handful of nuts and raisins with fat-free natural yoghurt, cup of tea

10:00pm - Pint of squash

• Day 96 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (22/03/13)

Target: 2 MILES EASY 5 X 400M INTERVALS at 6.20 pace NOT faster! WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (5)

Actual: 2 MILES EASY 5 X 400M INTERVALS at 6.20 pace, accidentally faster twice (but only a fraction!) WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (5)

Total: 5.63 miles in 48:16 in 8:34m/m

400m (1/2 mile) Splits: 1st @ 6:12m/m. 2nd @ 6:27m/m. 3rd @ 6:22m/m. 4th @ 6:19m/m. 5th @ 6:21m/m

With a very firm 'NOT faster than 6:20m/m' written next to my pacing guideline for today's session, I've never been so conscious of my pacing as I was today. It serves me right really. Every training session that I've done, I've always tried to go a little quicker than the pace I've been set, like that annoying kid at school who always does that little bit extra when they really don't have to.

I'm not trying to be the start pupil by running slightly faster than what I am asked to do. I'm not trying to impress others. I see each training session as an individual challenge (rather than just a build up to the main event) and by beating the pacing target set, in my head it makes me think I can tick off the run as 'mission accomplished' rather than 'run completed'. It's nothing but a mental thing that helps me to stay confident from one run to the next.

But as I'd been specifically told not to run faster than 6:20m/m for my 400m intervals this time around, I decided to abide by this as best possible.

I have no problem sticking to slower pacing guidelines, but as I don't spend so much time running at speeds close to 6:00m/m, or even under 7:00m/m, I find it much more difficult to gauge how quickly I'm running without constantly looking at my Garmin. Today was no different.

The last time I did such a session, I pulled my quad, and I was very worried the same would happen today. To make sure the chances of it happening again were lowered, I foam rollered before my run and spend a good part of the warm-up doing dynamic stretching, raising my knees, raising my feet to my derriere, running backwards and also running sideways. I think this just helped build up the nervous energy more and I shot off on the first rep far too quickly. I tried to slow down but I didn't manage it enough to not go quicker than 6:20m/m.

After the first rep though, I calmed down, and as the thoughts of repeating my quad tear disappeared, I relaxed and found myself quickly falling into the correct stride to keep more closely to 6:20m/m for each rep.

I was actually surprised at how comfortable it all felt today. I think this has  a lot to do with running at the same speed earlier in my training, but by running 800m. This meant 400m felt almost easy. There's no doubting that I wouldn't be saying the same thing if the intervals were longer, but I can definitely see the joys of a taper now. By doing 400m intervals this time and finding it easy, my confidence is sky high. If I was doing 800m intervals and found it difficult, or found my quad tightening, at this stage in training, it would do nothing other than putting little doubts in your head that certainly aren't needed.

So tomorrow for the first time in weeks, I have a weekend day without a run. This means I no longer have my usual excuse for not getting dragged around the shops!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/287511659

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 22nd March 2013

8:00am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk. Cup of tea

10:30am - Tangerine, pint of squash.

12:00pm - 5.6 mile run with 5 x 400m intervals (see earlier for full description).

1:30pm - Lunch - Noodles, broccoli and beef, Muller Light yoghurt, pint of squash

3:30pm - Bottle of Ribena Light

6:30pm - Dinner - Egg noodles, chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and chorizo. Pint of squash

7:30pm - Low Fat Greek style yoghurt with handful of nuts and raisins. Cup of tea

8:30pm - Pint of squash, cup of tea

• Day 97 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (23/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

For the first time in weeks and weeks, I had a scheduled rest day at the weekend. Don't get me wrong, I love running, and I'd run almost every day if I could. But now and again it's such a nice feeling waking up at the weekend and there being no reason to get out of bed. Especially with yet more miserable weather making itself known outside.

It's sometimes nice to have a day at the weekend where everything isn't planned around running (I'm sure these words will be music to Mrs. Shady Ady's ears!). No need to eat breakfast, and then have to wait 2 hours before running. No need to worry that by the time I come home after the run, eat and shower (oh, and stretch of course!) the afternoon is already in full swing. I could enjoy a full day doing normal things!

So what did I do with my free day? Well, a good part was spent shopping, which I find more tiring than running a marathon. I also started looking more in to Paris as well, including the course map, Expo details and hotel location. As far as courses go, Paris looks excellent. Flat and for the main part along the river, it also has enough monuments, sites and attractions along the way to break up the course naturally.

Although I normally break a course up by mileage when I'm running, it's also nice to have another form of measurement - i.e. running between different landmarks. I find it adds a bit of variety and more importantly keeps your head up looking at sites along the route, rather than just focusing on what your Garmin is telling you. Surely part of the experience of running a big city marathon is seeing some of the best attractions in a unique way most tourists don't?

I also saw an email I received from the London marathon promoting the use of nipple protectors to stop the onset of runner's nipple. I've never known the existence of such a product before, relying on the tried and tested plaster and Vaseline technique. I'm not sure whether this piece of nipple protector advice was aimed specifically at women, but on doing on Google search on this product, all I could find was items aimed at breastfeeding mothers! Maybe there's something I'm missing here. I'll stick to what I know best thank you!

Tomorrow brings a weekend run of only 12 miles and will see me getting to the brink of notching up 500 miles ran in training so far, which will definitely be the first time I've ever reached such a milestone. I'm sure after the heavy weekend mileage in recent weeks, 12 miles should seem surprisingly relaxing! image

• Good luck with ur 12 miler shady. Very jealous of ur rest day today of all days! I did my first cross country race today, and it happend to be muddy, and hilly and 15 miles.... I didn't know we had hills in Essex/east London!
  • Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Good luck with ur 12 miler shady. Very jealous of ur rest day today of all days! I did my first cross country race today, and it happend to be muddy, and hilly and 15 miles.... I didn't know we had hills in Essex/east London!

Thanks Angela.......it worked out very well with the rest day yesterday with the weather, but looking outside as I'm writing this, it's not looking any better! I might as well just get outside and get it over with knowing a nice Sunday roast will be waiting for me when I get back!

Well done on your first XC. How did you find it apart from the mud and hills? I've never ran a XC race before, but I imagine it's excellent leg strengthening training if part of a marathon training schedule? I hope you don;t have to venture outside in the snow again today?

• Lets just say I was disappointed to have made the cut off point at 8 miles within 90 minutes... If u want to learn more, or just delay your run, u can look here: http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/

I was planning 8 miles easy today- decided to jog to this meeting I had to go to this morning, unfortunately it was more of a limping hobble, so cut my run down to 3 miles-ie the distance to the meeting and back, rest tomorrow and hopefully back into full training on Tuesday...
  • Day 98 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (24/03/13)

Target: LONG RUN 12 MILES COMFORTABLE (around 8.35 - last 4 at MP or up to 7.55)

Actual: 12.1 miles in 1:39:48 @ 8:15m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:30m/m. 2nd @ 8:29m/m. 3rd @ 8:24m/m. 4th @ 8:32m/m. 5th @ 8:28m/m. 6th @ 8:30m/m. 7th @ 8:24m/m. 8th @ 8:25m/m. 9th @ 7:55m/m. 10th @ 7:53m/m. 11th @ 7:53m/m. 12th @ 7:47m/m. Last 0.1 mile @ 7:03m/m.

So that's it! The last double-digit run over with before Paris starts. Completed in possibly the coldest conditions I've ran in during the whole training schedule. It wasn't so much the temperature today though, more the biting wind that cut through the two layers I was running in.

It's as though my whole mentality has changed now as well. It's not so much as 'nailing' every training session, but more like 'surviving'. As each session ends, I'm not so worried about putting in a performance than matches the targets set. I'm more worried about finishing without any injury concerns that could jeopardize race day. Luckily today was another run survived and one less to endure before we line up in Paris in less than 2 weeks.

After last week's MP long run, today felt very comfortable as I completed the first 8 miles in MP+30. I found on almost every mile, I was running too fast for my pacing guidelines and then had to force myself to slow down in the latter stages of each mile in order to come closer to the pace I'd been set. Under normal circumstances I'd be a little disappointed with this, but I'm just happy to get through the run without any concerns or niggles.

There were several occasions where I almost went over on my ankle, thanks to stepping on twigs littering the trail. There were also several abrupt halts at roundabouts thanks to drivers failing to use their indicators. But these are minor squabbles on an otherwise successful last SLR before Paris.

The last 4 miles ran at MP also felt comfortable and like the first 8 miles, I found myself running slightly faster than what I needed to. I blame the fact I knew I had a nice lamb roast waiting for me when I got home! Either that or that I was fed up of running in sub zero temperatures. I'm fully expecting a mini heat-wave to arrive in Paris for the marathon to throw us all off guard! Chance would be a fine thing!

So with the last LSR out of the way now, it really foes feel like Paris is upon us. With the miles continuing to diminish I'm going to turn my attention more to the stretching, if only for peace of mind more than anything else.

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/288247376

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Lets just say I was disappointed to have made the cut off point at 8 miles within 90 minutes... If u want to learn more, or just delay your run, u can look here: http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/

I was planning 8 miles easy today- decided to jog to this meeting I had to go to this morning, unfortunately it was more of a limping hobble, so cut my run down to 3 miles-ie the distance to the meeting and back, rest tomorrow and hopefully back into full training on Tuesday...

I wouldn't be too disappointed with the run, after reading your blog. It didn't look like ideal conditions and XC times in those conditions will never come close to road or even trail races. The Guidlford Parkrun I ran early on in training was more or less all on waterlogged or muddy grass and I was demoralised after this. But looking back, it was definitely a great exercise of running on harder terrain and I really shouldn't have put so much focus on time. I'd just see it as a training run completed that will stregthen your legs rather than worrying about the time!

Nice blog! image

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 23rd March 2013

I made a concerted effort to cut back on carbs today in order to make tomorrow's 12 miler more difficult and to hopefully feel more of a kick when I use my gels and carb load for Paris.

9:00am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk, cup of tea

10:00am - Cup of tea

11:00am - Pint of squash

12:00pm - Clementine, handful of Saltine crackers

2:30pm - Lunch - Char-grilled chicken, bacon and avocado salad. Glass of Diet Coke

4:00pm - Cup of tea, Muller Fat Free Yoghurt

5:30pm - Small portion of egg noodles with, chorizo, bacon, broccoli and mushrooms. Pint of squash

7:30pm - Dinner - Guacamole with Saltine crackers, pint of squash

8:30pm - Cup of tea

10:00pm - Cup of strawberry tea

• Week 14 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 24/03/13):

Day 92 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (18/03/13)

Actual: Rest (20 minutes of foam rollering!)

Day 93 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (19/03/13)

Target: 5 miles comfortable

Actual: 5.16 miles in 40:36 @ 7:52m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:08m/m. 2nd @ 8:00m/m. 3rd @ 7:49m/m. 4th @ 7:45m/m. 5th @ 7:45m/m

Day 94 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (20/03/13)

Target: 3 mile jog @ 9:00m/m-9:40m/m

Actual: 3.09 mile jog in 27:52 @ 9:02m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 9:18m/m. 2nd @ 8:59m/m. 3rd @ 8:52m/m.

Day 95 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (21/03/13)

Target: 4 mile comfortable @ 7:50m/m-8:40m/m

Actual: 4.1 mile jog in 31:25 @ 7:40m/m

Day 96 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (22/03/13)

Target: 2 MILES EASY 5 X 400M INTERVALS at 6.20 pace NOT faster! WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (5)

Actual: 2 MILES EASY 5 X 400M INTERVALS at 6.20 pace, accidentally faster twice (but only a fraction!) WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (5)

Total: 5.63 miles in 48:16 in 8:34m/m

400m (1/2 mile) Splits: 1st @ 6:12m/m. 2nd @ 6:27m/m. 3rd @ 6:22m/m. 4th @ 6:19m/m. 5th @ 6:21m/m

Day 97 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (23/03/13)

Actual: Rest

Day 98 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (24/03/13)

Target: LONG RUN 12 MILES COMFORTABLE (around 8.35 - last 4 at MP or up to 7.55)

Actual: 12.1 miles in 1:39:48 @ 8:15m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:30m/m. 2nd @ 8:29m/m. 3rd @ 8:24m/m. 4th @ 8:32m/m. 5th @ 8:28m/m. 6th @ 8:30m/m. 7th @ 8:24m/m. 8th @ 8:25m/m. 9th @ 7:55m/m. 10th @ 7:53m/m. 11th @ 7:53m/m. 12th @ 7:47m/m. Last 0.1 mile @ 7:03m/m.

Target: 29 miles

Actual: 30.1 miles

The taper is kicking in nicely now, but I haven't noticed so much as I'm still running 5 days a week. It was definitely nice to get another quicker interval session in and test out my quad, as this has helped put a few ghosts to rest as the last time I did an intervals session was the time I injured it.

I'm a little disappointed I still haven't managed to arrange a sports massage. I need to kick myself up the rear and sort this out. I'm hoping to have this done by tomorrow, which should mean I get a good session in before Paris.

• For those interested, here are my last 2 weeks of training. The taper is in full force now!

SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Week 15 w/c 25th march (1 WEEK OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 2 MILE EASY THEN 3 X ACCEL STRIDES THEN 3 X 1 MILE FAST INTERVALS at 6.55-7.05 pace WITH 2.5 MIN JOG, 1 MILE EASY 6.5
    Wednesday 3 MILE JOG
    Thursday 5 MILE RUN – 1 COMFORTABLE 3 MP, 1 COMFORTABLE
    Friday rest or low impact cross training

Saturday 8.5 MILES comfortable
    Sunday Rest or low impact cross training
    MILEAGE 23

Week 16 w/c 1st April RACE WEEK
    Monday 3 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE, 3 MILES MP, 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (5 MILES)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday 3 MILE JOG PLUS 2 X ACCEL STRIDES
    Friday: REST
    Saturday 20 MINS EASY PLUS 3 ACCEL STRIDES (optional!)
    Sunday RACE DAY

• Thanks Shady, to be honest, all I was doing it for was the training benefit for my marathon, that and it features in the book I have of the worlds ultimate running races. 6 days after a half marathon in which I was gunning for a pb, I was never going to perform my best, it was just a bit demoralising being in a field of runners where I was amongst the last to cross the finish. I'm used to being at least in the top half, if not the top third, and have even done a 5k where I was the second woman in Richmond park!

I'm now sitting here contemplating whether 15miles XC race really is a substitute for an 18 mile LSR, as my plan has me dropping down to 13 nxt weekend before jumping back up to 20 the following weekend.

As for sports massage, I'm sensing u work in London? Are u in the city? In which case pop in to see Sanj at the city point club, near mortgate station- he's tough, but a genius!
  • Though the below might be useful information/reminders.  

Before you travel really think though your nutritional needs for the Friday & Saturday - you be amazed how organised with snacks before you go will make sticking to your nutrition plan so much easier. Put yourself in control of what you snack on  - just takes a little thought  & organisation.

Don’t eat out of boredom, eat to plan.

Do not try any new nutritional strategies; stick to tried and tested foods. Do not be tempted to try any ‘freebies’ in your arrival bag/goodie bag before the race starts.

Do not be tempted at hotel to eat anything too different at breakfast, remember you have Monday morning to eat what you like!

Race day: You should still drink little and often before the start but be careful about drinking too much because of nerves. If have dry mouth just wet your mouth with your drink to avoid an early pit stop but The race eating strategies do not need to be complicated but the foods or fluid must be tried and tested prior to event.

Post race – although you are not eating to refuel for next run you will  feel better the next day and protect immunity if you try and eat some carbs & protein as soon as you can. After race rehydrate also – 500ml as soon as you can can then sip for rest of day of fluid. If struggle to eat after race try sipping on a fluid with some carbohydrates in it such as a milkshake/smoothie/ice cream or a sports drink or cut food into small portions for example quarter a sandwich and just nibble on a quarter at a time (when no appetite large amounts of food can seem daunting so best to present yourself with small manageable amounts).

Good work on the diet!

Here are some useful snacks with estimated  carbohydrate content that you can buy or travel with easily:

• 6” baguette with generous spread of  jam or honey: 70-75g carbs
    • 200ml carton of orange juice and 2 slices of malt loaf (pre-sliced size) – 60g
    • 250g sorbet – 50g carbs
    • Fruit scone  with lots of jam : 45-50g carbs
    • 200ml of orange juice = 20g carbs
    • 500ml of diluting juice or squash = 35-40g of carbs
    • 1litre of orange juice  = 100g carbs (could have over day)
    • 1 crumpet and teaspoon of jam plus 500ml of isotonic sports drink – 60g carbs
    • 1 hot cross bun and 200ml carton of fruit juice – 45g carbs
    • Bagel and generous spread of jam or honey – 50g carbs
    • 1 large banana  & 200ml of fruit juice 45-50g carbs
    • 250g of fruit salad & low fat yoghurt (the sort of think you can buy at station pre-packed before you broad train) – 50g
    • 6 jaffa cakes  (52g carbs)

• Good running Ady.  The last LSR safely negotiated!  Isn't it a great feeling when you look at your schedule, see 12 miles, and think "ahh, nice and short..."

Funny seeing your description of your weekend rest day:  "It'll be nice having a day without running... [What did I do?] I spent the day reading about and planning running..."  Mrs Shady Ady must have really appreciated the change!  You weighed in with a shopping trip I suppose!

I like the look of your taper actually, and think I might do this as a "reverse taper" back up as recovery from my marathon (minus the small matter of the 26.2 you've got scheduled in of course...).

Keep up the good work!