Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi Steve,

Great news but please LISTEN TO SAM! I liked Sam's article although the experts give you rope to hang yourself, better techniques, better nutrition, better training programs. Of course you're flying. You are in uncharted territory and it's difficult slow down with all this new power. You could have been a victim of your own success, pushing yourself hard can lead to injury. Although Sam may have been thinking about clients like you, your injury was bad luck. How many times have we fallen just to get back up. Perhaps the fall has stop you getting injured in another way. Often the body needs rest which the mind doesn't understand. You still have 4 weeks which is a long time.

On the Paris 2013 forum, a wise one reminded the newbies that each marathon is just preparation for the next one. You have shown that you have enormous potential, you can rival Sarah and Ady, perhaps a sneaky dream to beat them this year. The Target 26,2 is a unique experience but it doesn't have to stop on the 7th. Sub 20min parkrun? New HM PB begging to be broken, next marathon. You seem to be someone who sets the bar high, what was your goal in December? I bet you've pushed it even higher. I'm sure you'll be on the starting line to kick my butt however it may be better to wait to kick Ady's.

Dont know if my waffling made sense. Don't worryg about replying. All the best.
  • Garmin connect request sent image glad ur knee feels better...

So as an Essex boy, I have a request... We're launching a park run in Colchester- we need volunteers to run at the test event which is on Sunday 24 March at 10am... If it fits with ur plan, we'd be delighted... And other runners too- it's really to train all us volunteers... image
  • Hi Steve, let's just keep slowly building up this week, not fast running yet we need to get the knee used to running again first.

Keep icing as the key from here on in is to stop the inflammation building back up again. Stretch your hamstrings and calfs foam roller too as these will get tight to protect the knee from any twisting. Also worth doing some one leg mini dips and 2 leg small range squats plus calf raises one leg then both to regain the strength in the knee that will have been lost from the inhibition due to pain and swelling. Make it a mini circuit 3 x 10 of each exercise then use the bike to supplement your running. Your may find you need to progress to the cross trainer to get your cv fitness up this week, time it as you would your run. Both kinder to your knee. It's important to cross train this week to keep the fitness there.

How long did your 3 miles take? Progress to max 40 mins steady on next run and try and alternate running with cross training. This just gives it that bit more chance this week this if able to tolerate an hour next Sunday can slip back into Sam's new schedule.

• Let me know when and where the scan is as I can probably phone and get the results much earlier than your GP. Try and get  copy of the scans too.

• PC91 wrote (see)
    Hi Steve,

Great news but please LISTEN TO SAM! I liked Sam's article although the experts give you rope to hang yourself, better techniques, better nutrition, better training programs. Of course you're flying. You are in uncharted territory and it's difficult slow down with all this new power. You could have been a victim of your own success, pushing yourself hard can lead to injury. Although Sam may have been thinking about clients like you, your injury was bad luck. How many times have we fallen just to get back up. Perhaps the fall has stop you getting injured in another way. Often the body needs rest which the mind doesn't understand. You still have 4 weeks which is a long time.

On the Paris 2013 forum, a wise one reminded the newbies that each marathon is just preparation for the next one. You have shown that you have enormous potential, you can rival Sarah and Ady, perhaps a sneaky dream to beat them this year. The Target 26,2 is a unique experience but it doesn't have to stop on the 7th. Sub 20min parkrun? New HM PB begging to be broken, next marathon. You seem to be someone who sets the bar high, what was your goal in December? I bet you've pushed it even higher. I'm sure you'll be on the starting line to kick my butt however it may be better to wait to kick Ady's.

Dont know if my waffling made sense. Don't worryg about replying. All the best.

Hey PC,

Yes, maybe a bit of a wake-up call and a chance to taek stock of exactly how far I have come in only twelve weeks... and how far I've come is bloody far!! My initial goal was simply to get round, sub 4:00 would have been nice. Pre-knee I was hoping for sub 3:45 with a sneaky suspicion (especially after the Dorney Lake half) that I was capable of going even faster. Maybe not in Paris, but definitely in future.

Now... I'm back to thinking I'll be pleased just to get round image

Although sub 4:00 would still be nice haha. Looking forward to seeing you on the start line!

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Garmin connect request sent image glad ur knee feels better...
    So as an Essex boy, I have a request... We're launching a park run in Colchester- we need volunteers to run at the test event which is on Sunday 24 March at 10am... If it fits with ur plan, we'd be delighted... And other runners too- it's really to train all us volunteers... image

Thanks Angela, very pleased to run "normally" for a bit, even if it was only for three miles... itching to go for a long run now but I know that I have to break it back in gently so that'll have to wait!

I would love to come and run the parkrun! Assuming recovery continues then there's no reason why not - I had a parkrun scheduled for that weekend anyway - I was aiming to try for low 20mins before all this but I think I'll just come for the event and not worry about times now! image

• sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Hi Steve, let's just keep slowly building up this week, not fast running yet we need to get the knee used to running again first.

Keep icing as the key from here on in is to stop the inflammation building back up again. Stretch your hamstrings and calfs foam roller too as these will get tight to protect the knee from any twisting. Also worth doing some one leg mini dips and 2 leg small range squats plus calf raises one leg then both to regain the strength in the knee that will have been lost from the inhibition due to pain and swelling. Make it a mini circuit 3 x 10 of each exercise then use the bike to supplement your running. Your may find you need to progress to the cross trainer to get your cv fitness up this week, time it as you would your run. Both kinder to your knee. It's important to cross train this week to keep the fitness there.

How long did your 3 miles take? Progress to max 40 mins steady on next run and try and alternate running with cross training. This just gives it that bit more chance this week this if able to tolerate an hour next Sunday can slip back into Sam's new schedule.

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for posting that. Shall I do another run tomorrow, then? Or is it better to take a rest/cross-training day tomorrow and run on Tuesday instead? I don't want to over-do it but I'm likewise very conscious of how close Paris is and I hardly feel like I've done any running at all for the last fortnight!!

I did the three miles in 24:52: 8:16m/m so fairly steady. Is that too fast, or about right?

I haven't seen Sam's new schedule yet so looking forward to seeing what's in store now...

sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Hi Steve, let's just keep slowly building up this week, not fast running yet we need to get the knee used to running again first.

sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Let me know when and where the scan is as I can probably phone and get the results much earlier than your GP. Try and get  copy of the scans too.

Will do - I'm phoning round tomorrow to see which venue has the earliest available appointment so I'll let you know a date hopefully in the morning.

Thank you again for all your help o

• Hi Steve,

Good to hear your running again. Try and stay positive, your in the best hands with Sarah and Sam watching over you and guiding you. Most of the hard work is done and we're nearly at the start line for Paris. Remember you've had a good few months hard and well executed training under your belt before the knee problem.

Got my fingers crossed for you that the next few weeks go well!
  • Yay, Am glad you can join Colchester parkrun.  I think there will be details on the park run site, but if not, I'll post a reminder on here closer to the time.

To echo A. W.  I had a knee pain come on during my last 20 mile run pre- Berlin marathon a couple years ago (2011).  I was at mile 11, and was painful enough to cause me to stop and just walk the rest of the way home.  Just did RICE, and no running at all until 2 days before the marathon which was just 20 mins.  Can't remember if I did any cross training to be honest :-S  I just wanted to make sure I could race.

Managed to cut 5 mins off my london (first time) time earlier that year to finish in 4:33, despite not running at all, for a month before the race, so I think if you stick to cross training (if advised) to keep your fitness up, you'll still manage a decent pace you're hoping for image

• A.W wrote (see)
    Hi Steve,

Good to hear your running again. Try and stay positive, your in the best hands with Sarah and Sam watching over you and guiding you. Most of the hard work is done and we're nearly at the start line for Paris. Remember you've had a good few months hard and well executed training under your belt before the knee problem.

Got my fingers crossed for you that the next few weeks go well!

Hi Alex,

Thanks mate, appreciate that. I'm feeling so much more positive today and Sam and Sarah have been really great and given me loads of support.

Yes, it's easy to forget all the training up until now but we have been putting the miles in, haven't we??

I'm sure they will - I'll be there in Paris with a big smile and a medal and a sub 4:00 timeimage

Yay, Am glad you can join Colchester parkrun.  I think there will be details on the park run site, but if not, I'll post a reminder on here closer to the time.

To echo A. W.  I had a knee pain come on during my last 20 mile run pre- Berlin marathon a couple years ago (2011).  I was at mile 11, and was painful enough to cause me to stop and just walk the rest of the way home.  Just did RICE, and no running at all until 2 days before the marathon which was just 20 mins.  Can't remember if I did any cross training to be honest :-S  I just wanted to make sure I could race.

Managed to cut 5 mins off my london (first time) time earlier that year to finish in 4:33, despite not running at all, for a month before the race, so I think if you stick to cross training (if advised) to keep your fitness up, you'll still manage a decent pace you're hoping for image

Hi Angela,

Looking forward to it image Do you know roughly how many runners you will have turning up? Can't wait! What is the course like?

Well hopefully will be doing lots of cross-training to supplement the running and if the inflammation keeps at a reasonable level then there is no reason why I can't run a half-decent time... Can't believe you ran so well after having that break in training so close! Well done you image

• Hey Steve, I've not had a chance to post for the last few days but I'm pleased to see that things appear to be turning around for you.

I think one of the reasons I have enjoyed in following your progress is that I recognise a lot of Waites Traits (see what I did there) similar to my own!

One in particular is a knack to shift the goal posts as I progress towards a particular goal.  On the plus side this can help keep me motivated and drives me forward to try and squeeze every last drop out of every oportunity but at it's worst it can lead to unrelenting pressure and suck the satisfaction out of anything other than complete unequivocable success.

By some curious quirk it seems that the logic that allows me to persue a more ambitious target never seems to apply when circumstances suggest that a shift in the other direction may be more appropriate (even if that would still be ahead of my original objective)!!!

You have worked so hard to get to this point and whatever happens between now and Paris it's important to ensure that you celebrate everything you HAVE achieved and (as PC has suggested) appreciate the foundations you have laid for your running future.

And of course if all else fails you should recognise the impact you have had on many of us, I for one don't know how I managed for so long without knowing the correct way to tie my shoe laces and I'm not sure a run goes by where I don't flash to your stickman drawings of good and bad posture. image

• Hi Steve,

Yes, I know the course image. Do u know castle park in colchester at all? The castle is on top of a relatively steep hill and the park mainly flanks one side of the hill. The course starts right in the middle of the park. Gentle uphill to loop around the castle, then downhill into lower park and along a part of the river, then back up the other aide of the hill to go around the castle again and start another lap. It's definitely not a flat course, but its only 5k, and really lovely park- maybe I'm biased as its my home town, but I think it gives a good mix of scenery, natural and man made- the castle that stands there now was buillt by the Normans, but stands on the remains of a roman castle. I don't think Colchester was their capital, but was the Romans first settlement here image

We want about 30 runners to do this test event- don't wanna be inundated, but want a chance to see how it runs. The official start date is 6th April, but that's day before Paris right?

On the Berlin, I can't say it was a fab race experience- I did experience cramps fairly early on, at about 16 miles. I crossed the half way at 2:06, so for a second marathon I was actually really pleased with my time, especially with the issues with training, however, I want to do so much better now I have some more experience, and all you 262 people are really helping to motivate me image
  • Kandinsky wrote (see)

Hey Steve, I've not had a chance to post for the last few days but I'm pleased to see that things appear to be turning around for you.

I think one of the reasons I have enjoyed in following your progress is that I recognise a lot of Waites Traits (see what I did there) similar to my own!

One in particular is a knack to shift the goal posts as I progress towards a particular goal.  On the plus side this can help keep me motivated and drives me forward to try and squeeze every last drop out of every oportunity but at it's worst it can lead to unrelenting pressure and suck the satisfaction out of anything other than complete unequivocable success.

By some curious quirk it seems that the logic that allows me to persue a more ambitious target never seems to apply when circumstances suggest that a shift in the other direction may be more appropriate (even if that would still be ahead of my original objective)!!!

You have worked so hard to get to this point and whatever happens between now and Paris it's important to ensure that you celebrate everything you HAVE achieved and (as PC has suggested) appreciate the foundations you have laid for your running future.

And of course if all else fails you should recognise the impact you have had on many of us, I for one don't know how I managed for so long without knowing the correct way to tie my shoe laces and I'm not sure a run goes by where I don't flash to your stickman drawings of good and bad posture. image

Hi Kands,

Thanks for such an awesome post - really put a smile on my face. image See?

Totally with you on the moving goal posts. Having that approach does have its upsides and its downsides, doesn't it? But, at the end of the day, you can't change who you are and I'll always aim high and be a bit disappointed with doing a "good job" when I know I could have done a great job!

Exactly as you said: before all this I would have been delighted with even close to 4 hours... now I'll probably be secretly disappointed with 3:59... which is completely ridiculous but that's just me I'm afraid.

It's great to know I'm not the only one thoughimage

As for what you said about the impact on everyone else, I myself can't look past the impact everyone on here has had on my running! I've always been a solo runner as my friends and family just aren't into running, which is totally fair enough, so it's been absolutely amazing to find so many like-minded, supportive people who have taken such an interest in my running and have been willing to share so much of their experience and knowledge with me. It's been an absolute pleasure so far and I'm genuinely looking forward to the next four weeks, come what may.

Hi Steve,
    Yes, I know the course image. Do u know castle park in colchester at all? The castle is on top of a relatively steep hill and the park mainly flanks one side of the hill. The course starts right in the middle of the park. Gentle uphill to loop around the castle, then downhill into lower park and along a part of the river, then back up the other aide of the hill to go around the castle again and start another lap. It's definitely not a flat course, but its only 5k, and really lovely park- maybe I'm biased as its my home town, but I think it gives a good mix of scenery, natural and man made- the castle that stands there now was buillt by the Normans, but stands on the remains of a roman castle. I don't think Colchester was their capital, but was the Romans first settlement here image
    We want about 30 runners to do this test event- don't wanna be inundated, but want a chance to see how it runs. The official start date is 6th April, but that's day before Paris right?

On the Berlin, I can't say it was a fab race experience- I did experience cramps fairly early on, at about 16 miles. I crossed the half way at 2:06, so for a second marathon I was actually really pleased with my time, especially with the issues with training, however, I want to do so much better now I have some more experience, and all you 262 people are really helping to motivate me image

Hi Angela,

I don't know Colchester as a whole too well to be honest but I've visited the castle a couple of times over the years. The castle was originally commissioned to be built by William the Conqueror and my ex's family are actually direct descendants of his. The Roman mosaic there is amazing.

Sad as it is, I am a bit of a history buff and I could actually talk all day on the Roman invasion in Britain (Colchester was called Camulodunum and was the stronghold of Caratacus, who resisted the Roman invaders for a long time - he ended up fighting almost guerilla warfare tactics in the end) but I don't want to bore the pants off of everyone else on here!image

It sounds like a great course and I can't wait to give it a go. I only discovered the parkruns through this competition and talking on the forum and I'm so glad I did. Kandinsky is in Chelmsford as well - perhaps you could extend an invite his way as well? Us Essex folk need to stick together.

You'll do great this year - experience seems to count for so much in an event as hard-going as a marathon and you've had that experience with injury to learn from and improve yourself and even then you managed to go faster!

• Had a fab day running with the Target 26.2 guys and girls, even though I missed the track session!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFBu8MmCAAE7lP0.jpg

Here's me running faster than a speeding... bikeimage

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFBvJyVCcAAEjBg.jpg

Sarah working her magic - she has certainly had her work cut out with me so far...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFBvcMZCMAANxFa.jpg

• Hi Steve,

Wow, your local history knowledge is impressive image

Yes Kandinsky of course is very welcome to the Colchester Park run test event image. Do I need to repost all the deets?

I'll be practising by volunteering at the Ipswich park run this Saturday... D'oh.... Suffolk....
  • Hey Steve,

Where do these pictures keep cropping up from, seen a couple Ady posted too?? Not seen any of these, guessing they're the ones the photographer was taking on training day?
    Hi Steve,
    Yes Kandinsky of course is very welcome to the Colchester Park run test event image. Do I need to repost all the deets?
    I'll be practising by volunteering at the Ipswich park run this Saturday... D'oh.... Suffolk....

Thanks and great work Angela, we've been crying out for Essex Parkruns for ages and soon we're going to be spoilt for choice!

Unfortunately that's the same day as the Brentwood Half Marathon so I won't be able to make the test event however my Sister in law is Colchester based so I'll try and push them in your direction!

Of course if I don't make it up to you beforehand you can keep an eye out for me wheezing my way around Halstead on May 12th (note to self must pop into that thread and say hello)!

• Hi Kandinsky, shame you can't make the test event, but perhaps u can pop along when its up and running. Official launch is 6th April.

Yes do say hello on the Halstead thread. Only a few of us, but all enthusiastic image

Good luck in the Brentwood Half. I have Colchester Half this Sunday image
  • Hi Steve, first time I've logged on in a while and really good to see that you've been able to get back out running, albeit that its a bit tentative for the moment. I appreciate that the times and distances won't be quite as good as what you were doing a few weeks back but to echo some of the other posts on your thread, your progress has been phenomenal so keep that positivity going as I'm sure it will help your recovery and get you back to your best sooner rather than later.

You asked if I had any other races planned - I'm doing the Colchester half this Sunday. I'm hoping to break 4hours for Brighton so I think for the half I'm going try and stick to even pacing at 9mins per mile for the half. My pacing is normally all other the place but yours always seems so exact - how do you do it?!

Keep smiling!
  • Hi Steve,

I echo PC91 & Kaninsky posts - really nice and constructive posts. Really willing this knee to make a full recovery.

Keep positive (and icing)

Hi Kandinsky, shame you can't make the test event, but perhaps u can pop along when its up and running. Official launch is 6th April.
    Yes do say hello on the Halstead thread. Only a few of us, but all enthusiastic image

I was trying to choose between the two but ultimately went for Brentwood becasue the start/finish was just a couple of hundred yards from where I used to live and I remember what it used to be like when the Sugar Hut was still the White Hart and before the vajazzles invaded image

• Hi Steve

This is my first post on the forum and if you ever wanted a third carreer (after law and athletics) I think you make a great writer, maybe you should turn this experience into a book with all the highs and lows it could even be a mini series on TVimage

Who would you get to play you and the other main characters?

I only found this thread on Sunday and have been zooming through it. I decided to follow your forum as I was in a similar to you on the experience front. My goal is a couple of half marathons in the autumn (Windsor and Royal Parks) which are on back to back weekends - am i crazy?!

My main conundrum at the minute is that I have a few short races planned over the summer against colleagues so although the HM has to come first I need to keep my speed going.

I really home this story has a happy ending and that your knee holds up over the 26.2

PS I am a big fan of sweet potatoes too!

• A.W wrote (see)
    Hey Steve,

Where do these pictures keep cropping up from, seen a couple Ady posted too?? Not seen any of these, guessing they're the ones the photographer was taking on training day?

Hi Alex,

Yes, they are the ones from training day two and they are here along with the video from training day two... I'm not in the video much as I missed the track session and spent half the day on the Physio table!image

• Kandinsky wrote (see)
    Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Hi Steve,

Thanks and great work Angela, we've been crying out for Essex Parkruns for ages and soon we're going to be spoilt for choice!

Unfortunately that's the same day as the Brentwood Half Marathon so I won't be able to make the test event however my Sister in law is Colchester based so I'll try and push them in your direction!

Of course if I don't make it up to you beforehand you can keep an eye out for me wheezing my way around Halstead on May 12th (note to self must pop into that thread and say hello)!

Best of luck with Halstead Kandinsky - I'll definitely run that one next year if I don't get into VLM image

As for the parkruns, it's great to know that we now have Southend, Chelmsford, Colchester... spoilt for choice indeed! My son really wants to run a parkrun so looking forward to doing one (and hopefully lots more!) with him.

Hi Kandinsky, shame you can't make the test event, but perhaps u can pop along when its up and running. Official launch is 6th April.

Hi Angela,

Hope the Colchester half goes well - what sort of time are you aiming for? Is it another course that runs around the castle grounds?

• PAUL FORDE wrote (see)
    Hi Steve, first time I've logged on in a while and really good to see that you've been able to get back out running, albeit that its a bit tentative for the moment. I appreciate that the times and distances won't be quite as good as what you were doing a few weeks back but to echo some of the other posts on your thread, your progress has been phenomenal so keep that positivity going as I'm sure it will help your recovery and get you back to your best sooner rather than later.

You asked if I had any other races planned - I'm doing the Colchester half this Sunday. I'm hoping to break 4hours for Brighton so I think for the half I'm going try and stick to even pacing at 9mins per mile for the half. My pacing is normally all other the place but yours always seems so exact - how do you do it?!

Keep smiling!

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you - I've enjoyed sharing our training stories! image

Yes, the half is a great chance to try out marathon pacing and really nail what it feels like to run at that pace for an extended period. On training day two, we ran one mile out and one mile back at goal marathon pace and then they TOOK OUR GARMINS AWAY (!!) and made us do the same off the back of our own judgement.

Talk about terrifying when Sam Murphy is watching...

But that is the whole point - I rely so heavily on the watch to regulate my pace when I am out on a run that what would I do if it didn't work for whatever reason on race day? The simple answer is: panic! image

But I actually got through that session a lot better than I thought and ran it very close to goal pace, which surprised me (especially as I have a penchant for... exceeding my paces every now and then. I think I must just enjoy Sam telling me off - it's the only logical explanation!). So I think I must take more notice of how it "feels" to run at a certain pace than I thought I did!

As for how I keep them consistent, I did at first have the watch set for current pace and, yes, it is really hard to keep it bang on the whole way round...  but now I have the pace on the watch set for each lap and set a lap as one mile, so the pace shows as what I am running for each particular mile of the run. It jumps around a lot less and seems to be a bit more consistent so it works very well for me and allows me to keep close to the pace I am supposed to be running at.

Do you use a GPS watch?

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Hi Steve,

I echo PC91 & Kaninsky posts - really nice and constructive posts. Really willing this knee to make a full recovery.

Keep positive (and icing)

Hi Ruth,

Yes, I've had some amazing constructive posts that have really helped to keep me smiling and keep me positive.

At the end of the day, going to Paris is going to be amazing and I am in the "first timer" category - whether I get round in 3 hours (that'd freak Alex out, wouldn't it?) or 7 hours, it doesn't matter as long as I finish with a smile on my face.

As Kandinsky and I have discussed, we are both the kind of people who set ourselves really high benchmarks and maybe put more pressure on ourselves than we need to... but we obviously enjoy that pressure, otherwise we wouldn't do it!

But, really and truly, to finish the marathon is what it is all about and the support I have had from you guys at Runners World and from everyone on this forum has been out of this world.

• Kandinsky wrote (see)

I was trying to choose between the two but ultimately went for Brentwood becasue the start/finish was just a couple of hundred yards from where I used to live and I remember what it used to be like when the Sugar Hut was still the White Hart and before the vajazzles invaded image

Kandinsky,

I'm not quite sure how to break this to you...

You know I work for a law firm...?

You know we're based in Essex...?

You know we specialise in alcohol and entertainment licensing law...?

Um... we act for Sugar Hut and got them their late licence in 2011 image so you can blame the  vajazzle invasion on us!