RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Hi Ali

...lol!

Yes, I am very much a lightweight and happy to admit it. In my defence I had  a couple of Boddingtons before the meal.

After rising earlier in the day at 4 I admitted defeat at 21:30, although my Irish colleague could have gone on for longer! With 3 children all under 4 he was relishing another 10hrs sleep :0)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I got my rejection magazine for VLM today image  And no, I'm not going to start ranting about how unfair it all is.  My view is that it's the organiser's race so they can organise it how they want.

I've still got a chance via my Club so fingers crossed for that image

• Big_G - I got mine today as well. Looks like we might have to meet up with those Irish boys in Dublin or some other exotic location next year...

• Haven't got my London yay or nay yet.  But I've kind of decided in my head since applying that I don't think I can do it...I'd rather do Edinburgh and much as I was glad to have the London experience under my belt last year, I think I can say once was enough...  So hopefully I just get a rejection mag making it nice and easy.

• Got my "Dear John" for London today also image ,,,, although the rain jacket they sent is quite nifty so that cheered me up as a consolation image

Similar to Big G I will have another chance for London via my Club... we had 2 places last year and only 4 members put themselves forward so was a 50/50 chance!

This week:
    Monday - 4 ml recovery;
    Tues - Club session 5 mls inc 5 x 6mins @ 6.30 pace avg (pfffffffffff soooo hard!).... managed a 6 min mile on the 2nd interval which is a 1st for me!
    Wed - 8 mls with 6 x 600m
    Today- rest/18 holes of golf
    tomorrow -11 mlr;
    Sunday - my 5th 20 mlr in the run up to Dublin image

Ali - its a cert u get in - rule of "Sods Law" will apply!

• All, just back home after a week in the States / Canada for work. Feeling a tad tired.

Only time to get some running in was early morning so I hit the treadmill for the last 4 days. Runs for 45 - 60 mins in duration and varied between randon hill sessions to manual where I adopted an tempo type regime. I was running 7 mm pace on tempo sessions and 8 mm pace on hill sessions.

For the last 2 mornings I was beside a chap who insisted on setting the machine to 11.5mph which is 5:15 mm pace. Crazy. He would run for a minute or so, hop off and hop back on after a rest. I was convinced he was going to dissapear out the back of the gym. Really off putting when you are trying to keep focus.

Ricky - some solid running from you again this week. You are in great shape for Dublin.

Ali - best of luck with the marathon tomorrow. You will nail it for sure.

Must ask Santa to get me the Art of Running Faster. Seems to be a fascinating read.

Not seen anything from VLM. Not expecting anything other than a rejection as the'Yes' magazines went out over a week ago.

• Thanks Carl!

have been quiet last few days as too nervous to say much!

but am looking forward to tomorrow. I feel good right now, legs are fine, had a little jog yesterday and felt perfect.

Going to try and enjoy this one. Chat to some other runners, take in the scenery, and remind myself I can do this!

Wish me luck. Will report back after.

• Welcome back Carl... good to see you kept at it whilst on the other side of the pond! This time 4 weeks you will be packing your Vaseline etc!

Ali - all the best for tomorrow - relax and enjoy... the time might just surprise you!

20 miler in the morn for me.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Good luck Ali!!

• 20 mls with a pal this morning... more relaxed pace this Sunday - 2:56 for the run. That's no.5 twenty miler in the bank. One more will do me I think. image

Come on Ali - let's have that race report!

• Bloody hell! I did it!!!! 3:59!!!!!! Race report later but WOW I am so happy.

• Wow indeed Ali! congrats & welcome to the sub 4 club.

Very well done - looking forward to reading the report later !!! 

• Well done Ali, really pleased for you! image

• I had a much better week training this week thankfully. Amazing when you get some decent rest. Still busy at work but managed to juggle things better I guess this week.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 5 miles

Wed - 5 miles

Thurs - 8 miles

Fri - 3 miles

Sat - Rest

Sun - 20 miles

I didn't play football this Thursday and I think that put me in better shape. Had a good two nights of sleep this weekend and felt pretty good running today. Kept bouncing either side of 8:30 and on the last few miles ran 16-18 at 8:00min/mile and 19-20 at 7:46. This was a  test to see how I felt and I felt ok. Last week I was suffering at the last few miles. Although this week got a bit carried away and realised I was a quite a few miles away at 16 miles so had to arrange a meet at mile 20 for my wife to pick me up. I did think of running the last 4-5 miles but thought behave Nell!

On the whole feeling good image

• Great stuff Ali, well done !

• Ali - fantastic job at getting into the sub 4 hour club. image

Ricky - another solid 20 miler from you. Really impressive form.

Nell - a really good week from you. Looks like the rest did you some good.

Today went a little pear shaped for me.

My eldest who is 10 had a football tournament for his school today. Had to drop him for 10 and be back at 1pm for the knock out competition. As it was all supposed to be done and dusted by about 3, I had planned to get back home and go out at 4 for teh 20 miler.

Well the footie went well and he found himself in the final. He was playing well, had bagged 4 goals during the various matches including the opener in the final. His team were winning 3-1 with a few minutes remaining when he went down under a heavy challenge. From where I was standing it looked like he twisted his leg badly when he went down but I was not too concerned. It was when they moved him to the far touchline and the St John Anbulance chap was summoned across that I realised it was a bit serious. So round I went to find that he was holding his arm. He must have landed on his elbow when he hit the ground.

My medical help was not much help and while we were trying to ascertain the problem, the team held out for a 3-2 victory.

No celebrations going on where I was. Anyway conclusion was that it was badly sprained / bruised but an x-ray was needed.

Got a lift back to my local hospital and after about 2.5 hours of waiting and being processed / xrayed etc, the doctor concluded that he had broken his arm just above the elbow. So now he has a cast on it. He is doing fine.

But it was about 7.30pm when I got in so no possibility of a run today.

With 4 weeks to go, I have only got 1 20 mile run in. This will not be enough.

I have a HM next weekend so it is not as if I can catch it up this week.

Really could have done with a long one today for the confidence. This has not been an ideal build up to the marathon (and I know there never is an ideal build up) so may have to readjust my target somewhat.

Lets see what this week brings.image

• Carl if it's any consolation I had 3 runs in the lead up to Loch Ness that were over 15 miles... I think the longest at 19 or just over. I missed the 20 and 21 mile runs on my schedule due to other things cropping up... This happens in life! 20 doesn't have to be the magic number...

And it was truly the best ever I've felt during a marathon. I didn't hit a wall, I had tonnes left in the tank for the last 8 miles. Focus on your overall training not just your 20 miler count.

I really will do a race report later but for now I'm on cloud 9 and am still celebrating. image Plus still in Inverness and only have the iPad. 

• Hi Carl, Hang in there. I am somewhat the same as you. I have been on a 12 week plan also. I have had a few curve balls thrown in over the past few weeks and Sunday was my first 20 miler. Even though you are running a HM next weekend if you give that a good go it will take just as much out of you as a LSR 20 miler and provide good conditioning I would think. When you look at the Advanced Marathon book you and Ricky have been following I think there is only one 20 miler on the plan is there not? They are quite interesting plans as they do not dwell too much on huge miles but shorter MP runs. I am sure it will be fine.....Talk to Karma Ali, she'll sort you out image

• /members/images/754569/Gallery/castles_marathon.png

I have found an elevation chart on the Alnwick to Bamburgh Marathon I am running on the 27th October...

Certainly not a flat course, I am never quite sure with these charts they can mask a hat full of sins. I don't feel I have trained as well as for Edinburgh, but I am aiming to enjoy the run and see what happens....

• OK here goes... sorry if I bore anyone to death but am dying to get this all out...

Loch Ness Marathon 2013

Before this race, though I wouldn't say it out loud due to fear of making myself feel further sick with nerves, I thought this race was honestly going to be a PW for me and I was shitting myself.  I did NOT think I would do sub 4.

In the run up to this race I was terrified (again, didn't want to say it out loud too much to stop myself being further terrified) of the course and race.  I spoke to a lot of local runners who've done it and everyone said two things: a) Loch Ness is a course to go out and enjoy for the scenery, but it's too hard to PB at b) Loch Ness is a course where the second half will kill you- big hills, especially one monster from approx 17.5-19.5 miles that reduces most runners to tears/walking.  So don't expect a negative split.

Well magically I got both a PB and my first MARATHON NEGATIVE SPLIT!  Well chuffed.

Start of race- early meet (7am) at Bught Park- long bus trip out to Fort Augustus to the high ground where the race begins.  Very beautiful start in the middle of the Scottish Highlands.  Nearly moved me to tears in my already emotional state.  Only thing was it was bloody FREEZING and obviously having had to drop off my bag at baggage trucks if I did it again I'd bring some old clothes I could just chuck away at start.  Oh well, you live and learn.  With a dream pace of 9:15 minute miles in mind, but a realistic 'acceptable' pace of 9:40 minute miles in mind, I was ready to start.

And we're off... after a bit of standing about chatting to other runners, the race begins.  Bagpipes move us to the start, very moving.  Everyone very chatty and friendly.  I had been warned that the first few miles are where a lot of runners ruin themselves early on- it's a mostly downhill start and miles 1-5 can be done way too quickly.  Despite checking my watch every mile and trying to slow myself, I fell into this trap ever so slightly and hit mile 5 in 44:50, so a bit below 9 minute mile pace.  I didn't let myself think this was a good thing, and made a conscious effort to slow right down into my goal pace.

First 5 miles beautifully scenic along country roads, mostly downhill and quite easy, then you hit the first steep hill just after mile 5.  Lots of people reduced to a walk here- I kept steady and by mile 7 had settled into the perfect pace.

First 10 miles though mostly downhill are very undulating with some little short sharp hills thrown in, I could see why people said it was a tiring course.  But I felt genuinely great.  From mile 10 you start to run a slightly flatter section along the Loch side, the views were breathtaking and though it was an unseasonably hot and sunny day, most of the roads were shaded by trees so I felt a perfect temperature.  Enjoyed the flatter section of the course as I felt really relaxed and was doing a metronomically steady pace if I do say so.  Remember hitting mile 11 in 1:40:50 and then mile 13 in 1:59:10 which were both 9:10 minute mile pace bang on.  Realised my 9:15 min miles were quite conservative and dared to hope I might do quite well. image

Come half way, I was thinking 'wow, this is the easiest half marathon I've ever done' despite the grunts and moans of runners around me.  My legs felt so fresh, my breathing was really slow and relaxed and I was having a great time.  Pace was on to do a 4:00:20 or so marathon.

I decided to stick conservative up till mile 16 or so, and not think too much about what kind of time I could achieve given in mind the second half of the race was meant to be tougher.

Mile 17 takes you through the village of Dores whi

• ...Dores which is famous for all the villagers coming out and cheering on the runners in spectacular style- wow it did not disappoint!  I felt so lifted by it all.  A lady shouted 'Go on lady in yellow- you're in the lead!' which made me burst out laughing!  I shouted back 'Oh, am I?  Brilliant!' and waved my arms triumphantly which got a good laugh out of the crowd.  

Then came the killer hill.  Started off not too bad, but after a couple of minutes, people seemed to be dropping like flies, everyone around me slowed to a walk and I was passing people.  An English gentleman behind me was running same pace as me, and shouted 'Keep running!'  We got chatting and had some nice banter, we agreed that if I slowed, he would shout 'Hurry up you Northern B**tard!' and if he slowed I would shout 'Hurry up you Southern Softie!'  His name was Eddie and we ran together till the end.  I was finding the hill tough but was reassured by the fact that as a little double team we were just flying by people, he even said 'Look how well we're doing, look at all these f**kers walking!' which was true but I did feel sorry for all the walkers!

Hit mile 18 in 2:45 precisely, so once again spot on for 9:10 pace.  Kept flying up that hill, miles 19, 20 and 21 came and still we were really strong and enjoying running with someone else!

Come mile 22 we knew there was one last steep hill to go, then it was apparently all downhill or flat to the end.  By now Eddie was starting to struggle but I told him we were doing 4 hours together or die, that was it.  Although he was a better runner than me (1:39 half marathon) he hadn't done a marathon before.  He got into that exhausted state where he couldn't even face looking at his watch any more, so I timed us as we went on and gave a notification every mile if we were on time to do 4 hours.  He was grateful for this.  We were both in pain but were just passing other runners all the way to the end which I have certainly never done before in a marathon.  It felt amazing.  Having the company definitely helped me; I don't think I could have done it alone!

Last 3 miles started to take you back into Inverness so there were some crowds which was a nice change from the lonely road and really spurred us on.  Me and Eddie got to mile 24 in 3:40 which was bang on still for the 9:10 pace, I was amazed at how constant we had been.  I said to him '20 minutes to do the last 2.2 and get in under 4' and we agreed to push hard.  We got to 25 in 3:49:10 and I knew I could do it but he started to struggle to keep up.  By this point I had to be selfish about my own time so shouted 'Good luck Eddie!' and off I went. 

Last 1.2 miles done in 10:19 which means a sub 9/mile pace finish, and a negative split to the whole race, finishing in 3:59:29.

Waited for Eddie to cross the finish line, he finished in 4:01 so although he didn't break the 4 hours he was delighted.  Thanked me profusely for pacing him and said he would have been so much slower without me.  I felt really proud- I genuinely did pace someone, and did a pretty darn good job.

Felt elated after the race, and still do.  Best marathon time I've done, on the toughest course I've done.

Race was amazingly organised, so many water stops/energy stations, hundreds of volunteers who were cheery and encouraging and lovely, support from locals which was so warm it would move you to tears, and a finish area with free hot food/drink, lots of nice stalls, and a great T shirt in the goodie bag.  I would highly recommend this marathon to anyone- I will never forget Sunday in my life!!!

• Ali - what a brilliant race report. You've almost talked me into doing it next year. Very well done to you and I expect another PB from you at Edinburgh next year ! Chuffed to bits for you, you had a couple of tricky moments in your build up but you battled through them and came out with a great performance. Well done again

• Ali - brilliant report! I felt like I was there watching as I read through it... and what a bonus helping Eddie through the tough miles.

So you did it all really - ticked all the boxes: PB, Sub 4, Neg split, Paced another runner & had a ball. Absolutley fantastic - well done again!

Amazing really given your setbacks in training - just goes to show you eh.... being rested and hitting form on the day makes all the difference.

What's next then Ali?!

Carl - hope your young lad is not too down in the dumps image ..... and don't panic about the LR's - as Ali said look what she achieved on a distinct lack of 20 milers!

• Thanks guys! Loved every second.

ricky- next up is prob one HM before the year is up (one on 11 November)  which I'd like to make a good go of. Other than that nothing major but I have entered Edinburgh marathon next May and given that I debuted last year in 4:04 there last year and now did a tough course in 3:59, I will perhaps aim for a 3:55 at Edinburgh. We'll see! It's a nice flat course.

Also something I'd like  to say I forgot in my report: THANK YOU ALL!!!! I have so appreciated all the advice and support on here and it has been a big part of my journey toward this particular race! At times I have needed the reassurance from like minded runners that friends/family can't always give. image

• Hi Ali, Great report and very eventful, I believe that gave Oirish a run for his money (pardon the pun). You will smash 3:55 at Edinburgh now!

What is the HM you are planning Ali?

Yes, forgot to say Carl, hope your boy is feeling ok, and I always thought rugby was the dangerous sport??

Up early today, but no run yet, off to pick a colleague up from the airport...think it may be one of those days...runless!

• Carl - hope your boy is ok. You've got plenty of miles in the bank so if you have a good day at Dublin I still think you can come in with a decent time.

Ali - how are the legs feeling today ?

Nell - that route profile looks pretty flat to me ??!! Do you do any hill runs/reps as part of your training ?

Ricky - how are you ? Are you getting into good shape for Dublin ?

I managed 26 miles last week which is the most I have run in about 3 months or so. The knee isnt getting any worse but at the same time I dont think it's getting better, I can still feel it during some runs although it doesnt hurt too much. So, I have decided that the time has come to start increasing my weekly mileage. The plan is to increase the mileage by 2 miles per week, thats 1 mile extra on my midweek medium run and 1 mile extra on my 'long' run at the weekends. I'm also planning on getting in a couple of sports massages over the next few weeks to see if that helps. If all goes well then happy days, I can hopefully think about a training plan for a spring marathon. If the knee goes completely then I will have a few months off running and focus on my cycling. That's the plan anyway.

• Carl- like everyone else hoping your boy is OK!

nell- thanks! HM is Fraserburgh. Meant to be quite nice. Localish to aberdeen. 

You are doing well just now- good week last week. Your course profile for the Mara isn't flat but not too terrible either... just gotta save some energy for the wee uphills near the end don't you. 

carter- the legs still feel pretty darn sore... As does all of me... Nothing I didn't expect, I gave my all out there and am paying for it now! Yesterday I was walking like it was new to me... Looked like Bambi.

well done Carter on last week. And good, sensible strategy to increasing mileage!  Do you have a particular Spring Mara in mind? 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - that's a great report and a great end result!  Fantastic news!

Nell - that profile looks pretty flat to me as well.  Also the minor hill is at the start so that would force you to not go off too quickly and then knowing it's out of the way you can crack on.

This is Dartmoor Vale marathon profile, which I am still in two minds about.  I've done a lot of hill training (there are loads of hills near me) but I haven't had the best week or so as I've had a chest infection.  Also, I've felt very tired but I'm feeling a bit better now so hoping to get out today and I've got my fingers crossed the enforced lay off will have done me some good.

/members/images/465898/Gallery/Dartmoor_Vale_Marathon.jpg

What about the WR going in Berlin then?  What an amazing achievement.  I saw the race and he just looked so comfortable and he reckons he can go quicker.  Any thoughts on the bloke who jumped onto the course to cross the finishing line ahead of Kipsang?  The word "idiot" (and much stronger) springs to mind!

• G- amazing about Kipsang. Breathtaking running. Yes the man who jumped in made me cross. Wonder what happened to him? Probably nothing but he deserves to be punished.