RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl - I too am looking ahead to next year, but I am thinking of doing the Club Championship as it looks right up my street, with the exception of the offroad stuff which I don't love.  If I did the Championship, I'd also aim to do one or two marathons as well I think (Spring and Autumn).

The Club Championship is fairly straight forward.  The organiser creates a calendar of races that count towards the championship and there is some age grading and points mechanism depending on your time for each race.  Most of the races are relatively local and you have to complete 12 races in the year.  You have to complete at least one race from each of the 7 race categories with each category having 6 or so races to choose from.  The categories are:

- Half marathons

- 10Ks

- Short off road

- Short misc. (this includes a track series, which looks interesting!).

- Long misc. (nothing more than a 20 miler, mixed terain).

- Long off road

- Mixed (odds and sods really).

Looks good, but it is a bit of a commitment to sign up to so many races although there are plenty to choose from.  I am tempted.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - that sounds like a very sensible goal in the circumstances.

Oirish - great to hear from you. Sounds like a busy few weeks. Great park run PB. I can only dream about sub 21. Maybe next year if I focus on the fast short stuff. And a park runner of the month too. We are truly honoured to be in your company. Had forgotten about your 30 mile race. You will be fine. 

Big G - you have really enjoyed all your club sessions and events this year. So a Club Championship is right up your street. Looks like a good mix of race distances. Go for it.

And your Fat Rascals look very tempting. 

• Oirish, nice to hear from you! Look forward to your announcement....

I've been away in London since Tuesday with work and haven't had any time to catch up on here so I will have a read. Took my running stuff but due to too much work, too much wine, and not enough sleep, I didn't get any miles in.... Oh well. Good intentions!

• Good to hear from you Oirish...

Hi Carl, I am not even thinking about next year yet, I have booked my place for Edinburgh, but that is not on my mind at all at present.

Love the look of those cookies Big_G! You sound like you will be busy next year, and good luck for the weekend     image 

You deserve a rest and a few glasses of wine Ali !!

Myself, I have had a torrid week at work, I have been on call this week and the implementation project I am working on has drawn long days running into the late evening, luckily I am into the taper, but to be honest I am not feeling too relaxed. Missing sleep and have tried to get up early morning to get in some miles. Not training smart at the moment....

Ran 5-6 miles Tues morning. A combination of hill reps and then intervals on the flat. wednesday ran a slightly pacey 5 miles at roughly average 7:30/45min/miles. Today I was knacked as got in at 22:30 last night and was up through the night dealing with nuisance stuff at work so only managed a 5k this morning.... The family and myself are all away to York for the weekend tomorrow so I won't get out tomorrow probably. will take my kit and try and get a 10-12 mile run Sat or Sun.....to be honest I just feel like sleeping. I am on holiday Mon-Wed next week so hopefully will get a bit of rest in before the run on the 27th....

Come on Nell positive thoughts   image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi Nell.  Maybe if your body is telling you that you need rest, you should take a couple of days off of the running, to give yourself a chance of feeling fresh at the start line.  I know it's easier said than done, but it sounds like work has taken it out of you and you need to take a couple of days off?

I love York by the way.  I was there for a couple of days in the summer and got a couple of runs in along the river.  There are bridges you can cross to loop back, and it's a plesant, flat run.

York is one of the places that is a great place to visit.  There's loads to do, nice food, nice beer, loads of history etc.  Those Fat Rascals I posted earlier were home made, but I first had them at a famous Yorkshire place called Betty's last year.  Well worth checking out if you can image

I am well into taper/carbloading madness.  I went for a 6-miler yesterday, and it was awful.... image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - sounds rot me like you need a rest. A couple of days off at this stage is not going to have any effect. If you need rest you need rest.

Ali - you deserved a bit of Ali time. Every so often you need to chill out. 

Big G - taper running is so hard. You will be great on Sunday.

Have got a few short runs in this week. Going to do a park run in the morning and planning a 10 mile on Sunday.

• Evening all. 

I managed my first double digit run in months earlier this afternoon, 10.2 miles to be precise.  I ran to how I felt and the first 8 miles were at 40 seconds quicker than my MP pace (not having run a marathon yet I don't have an actual marathon pace but I was training to run at 8:35 a few months back) that means 8 miles at 7:55. I have to say it felt fairly comfortable running at that pace for so long. Legs feel like jelly now but I've done it and it feels great. And the bonus is that there was/is no knee pain at all. Hopefully, it's not the kiss of death, but maybe my injury worries are over ? Here's hoping...

• Hi Guys

Thnaks for the advice, and I know you have all been there before , so really appreciate it.

we were in Bettys' yesterday Big_G and I took the opportunity of tasting the Fat Rascal...oh yummy!

We are staying at the Novotel and after a swim with the kids, we just popped round the corner to the Masons Arms and I had a couple of pints of sheeps head and a very splendid Game Pie. After a decent night kip I got up before breakfast and ran a 10.5 mile down the river and headed out on the track towards Selby past the racecourse, turned back and did a circle of York. 84 mins so about 8min/mile pace. Felt good. Amazing what a decent nights kip does. Out sightseeing now catch up later guys ;0)

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - great run from you yesterday. And pain free too. Hopefully your injury troubles are behind you. You a re a real inspiration to the rest of us as you have worked your way through some tough times and come out the other side. I think you will be strongeir for it too. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - sounds like you are having a great break. Good early morning run from you today. I always enjoy running in different locations. There is something really exhilarating a bout it. Must be the different scenery. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So park run for me this morning. what does everyone else do food / drink wise beforehand. For proper races (Oirish maintains this is not a race), I get up early and have breakfast etc. I don't for this and I normally roll out of bed about 30 mins beforehand.

if I was going on a training run I can manage a slice of toast etc. But as this is the lungs bursting eyes popping type of run I think eating etc would be a problem.

But then I think I run out of energy as the up and down nature of this 5k really takes it out of you on the second lap of the course.

Today I finished in 23:38 which is about 20sec off my PB.

i was doing ok on lap 1 and had settled into a good pace and was swopping places with another runner and also passing pleasantries about the hills. Covered the first mile in 7:30.

This was about right pacing wise as mile 2 is the toughest. You are climbing the steep hill at the start, descend and then go on a long steady climb. I was still keeping pace and when I hit the top of this climb he started to pull away. It was around this point that I was feeling low on energy and them we hit the steep climb for the second time. I struggled a little on this and knew that I was slowing down. 

But I dug deep and pushed on and picked up the pace for the last 0.5 miles which is up and down.

Crossed the line with nothing left. 

I am determined to get sub 23 on this course. 

• G- GOOD LUCK tomorrow! look forward to a report. Know you can do really well.

Ricky and Carl- how you feeling about Dublin now? Great to hear P and D has gone so well for you Ricky.

Carl- still good consistent times on that tough parkrun route. Re: eating, I still always breakfast even just for parkrun. I don't like eating without fuel. I normally have a cup f tea and a bagel or toast with butter. Easy to digest, nothing fancy. Even when marathoning I don't eat a lot more beforehand.

carter- totally cheering for you from the sidelines here! You've run a lot more than me this week- I have had ONE run this week!image Had planned a lot more but was away with work, and am also in the middle of moving house.... We have a new flat and my god it is taking so long to move everything. I've tried not to get upset and have written this week off as rest. Bring on next week.

Nell- nice holiday image sounds lovely.

Oirish- great to hear of your parkrun PB. I am getting a Saturday off work in two weeks and am excited to do a parkrun.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl, regarding parkrun, I think it helps to be warmed up properly.  I've seen the quicker guys/gals doing some pretty intense warmups prior to the start of these things.

Regarding food/drink for a parkrun, I just make sure I'm not feeling thirsty on the startline, would have had a couple of pieces of toast an hour or so before hand and gone to the loo!  I'm no expert though!

IMHO I think it's all about pacing, which can be trickier on a hilly course.  Going out at even 10 secs/per mile too quick in the first mile means you can blow up in the third mile.  I reckon an even paced race is the way to go, or if that's not possible due to the profile I reckon an "even effort" (if that can be measured) is what's needed, but leaving enough to kick on in the last couple of hundred metres or so.

I was really surprised with my times.  I've ran 21:32 on what I would describe as a fairly hilly course, although the finish line is lower that the start line, so overall it's a down hill course.  A week later, I turned up at a flat and fast course where I had basically structured that week's training around "giving it some" and only managed 21:29 which I was surprised about but, in hindsight, I was unrealistic with my pacing.  I had thought I'd be able to get under 21:00 (and went out at the pace), but I blew up in the final mile.  In fact, at the start of the 2nd mile I knew I was struggling.

I'm still tinkering with my strategy.  For me, it's also really dependent on if I'm "up for it" or not, which is something I struggle to control!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - thanks.  I don't mind saying, but I'm shi**ing for some reason!  I'm always nervous, but even by my standards, I'm pretty bad image

Nell, well done on getting on that run and I'm glad you liked the Fat Rascals image

Carter - nice run there!  Fingers crossed you're on the mend now!

• Yes big g those rascals are great! Glad I ran this morning, I now have sun and mon rest, so couple more pints of black sheep tonight! You are right carl, running in another place is quite refreshing. York marathon is tomorrow, so we will go out and give a cheer to folk, I did look into this but it was sold out really early, and then forgot about it until we arrived yesterday.

If I eat brekky before running Carl, it is usually porridge. If you are up early enough a small bowl is ok and easy on the stomach.

parkruns seem to be going well carl and your runs coming on too carter, on whole everyone seems to be running well. Don't rush back Ali, if you feel you need another week, why not? open up the wine!

Good luck tomorrow Big Gimage

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Best of luck Big G. We are all behind you. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Raining cats and dogs here this morning so have had to put off my run until later today. If anyone else other than Big G is out today - enjoy.

Enjoy it Big G. image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

A tough day at the office today, but I'll write more later.  4:21ish unofficial time, so PB stil remains at 4hr08.  Hips/Hammies etc have totally seized up, so I need a nice bath....and a few pints!

• You deserve it big G! Well done on another marathon under the belt! Look forward to hearing more later.image

All this talk of fat rascals and pints is making me hungry.

Today was my day off from work and I was doing another fitness course... Spinning teachers qualification. Anyone do spinning? I love it! The course was amazing, v enjoyable, but after 7 hours spent mostly on a spinning bike, I am exhausted, aching, and will NOT be running tonight! So my running days this week stays at... One. Never mind! At least I got a great workout today. Can't wait to do one more Christmas in retail then hopefully move more full time to working in fitness. Today really whetted my appetite.

next week though I am keen to get more running in as I have really missed it!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - from what you said beforehand it sounded like a tough couse so that is still a great time. Well done and hope you enjoyed the few pints. You deserve them. image

Ali - 7 hours on a spinning bike. That must have been murder. I have done it a few times and it nearly killled me after 40 minutes.

So my last long run before Dublin. And a beautiful day NOT for running. More like a day for ducks. 10 miles at 8:10 min/mile pace. A bit racy but I enjoyed it despite the rain and puddles.

Have not quite settled on a race strategy yet. No doubt it will come to me when I get to the start line.

• Well done G - v respectable given the toughness factor of the course - well done!

Ali - I have never tried spin class but Mrs RickyW is totally addicted .... she started going about 3 months ago and has lost nearly 2 stone! (goes 3 times a week). She has been threatening to drag me along but I have managed to avoid it so far image

Carl - nice pacey 10 miler before DUBLIN. I was out early doors for a 12 miler and had a rubbish run - 8.30pace but it felt like it took more effort than that pace normally would. If I feel like that on marathon day 3.45 will even be a big askimageTaper Madness maybe?! Heavens opened at 6mls for the following 3mls so got soaked thru into the bargain.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - you will be fine on marathon day. Your training has been super. You are having a proper taper after normal training so it is not surprising that you will have the odd rubbish run. The key is the shorter faster stuff during this period. Loads of good miles in the bank. I fully expect to be looking at your heels from the start !!

• Big_g - well done on another marathon completed. Sounded like a tough route from what you were saying previously so not a shabby time at all. Enjoy the beers

Ali - I have done spinning a few times in the past and it really does hurt. So for 7 hours at that I'm not surprised you haven't been for a run. To me, though, it's pretty similar to running on the treadmill, I would sooner be outside doing the real thing. 

Carl - thanks for the kind words. It certainly sounds like taper madness for you !! Try and have a nice chilled week in the build up to Dublin. Did I remember correctly that you and Ricky are staying in the same hotel ? Is it 2 nights so you can have a few beers after the race ?

Ricky - as Carl said, your training has gone about as well as it could possibly have done so. If I were you I would be feeling very confident indeed. Do you know what the weather forecast is for race day ?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I got around DMV marathon yesterday, but I can't say that it was a particularly pleasurable experience.  

I went off steadyand I also ran/jogged up the first hill and got to 10-mile mark in good shape, which was where my wife was for the first lap.  We exchanged a few words and I was off again.

I was still running comfortably and got to the half marathon point in 1hr59.  Just before this point, all the half marathon runners I was with turned off to head for home and at this point I was running more or less by myself, which I had prepared for so it wasn't a shock.  I was still feeling fine in myself, but about about 17 miles I felt some tightness in my hamstrings and I got to 18 miles (which is just before the big hill, for the second time) in pretty bad shape.  By this time, I knew sub-4 wasn't going to happen so at this point it was just doing what I could to get around.

At about 20-miles I was well and truly on my own with no one in sight ahead or behind me and it was at this point the rain started.  It was ridiculously heavy, and at this point I was questioning why I was out there.  Out loud I'm afraid I uttered the words "I'm never f'in doing another one of these f'in things again" and I found those last 6 miles hard.  There is another thread on RW I post a lot on (Shades marathon training) and the starter of that thread also ran this marathon.  She has ran over 300 marathons and she said it was the hardest/heaviest rain she's ever known in 20 years of running image

At around this point I was struggling to run up hill or down hill as my hamstrings were sore, and also my hips were hurting.  I was really just walking, with a bit of shuffling every now and again at this point.  At about mile 23 it was the home stretch, and by this time I was with a drawn out line of people who all looked equally dejected in one way or another and we were passing and repassing each other all the way to the finish.  I managed to jog through the finish line in an official time of 4:21:26.  A marshall offered me a seat, but I declined as I didn't think I would be able to stand back up again!  My wife was at the finish and she shepherded me to the car where I got a change of clothes and did some stretching.

I was home in 10-mins (the great thing about this one is that it's so local) and had a bath and went straight to the pub.  I was hungry so had a Gourmet Burger meal....and then had another one for dessert image  I was still under my calorie goal for the day, so that was all fine image

This morning whilst writing this, I'm pleased I've done it but I realise (yet again!) that I have so much to learn.  I don't know why I cramped up so badly.  I feel the training I've done has been representative of the course profile (i.e., I feel I was prepared for the hills) but I was just in pain.  Yesterday, I was wondering if I'd "thrown the towel in" and "wasn't willing to push through the pain", but this morning I honestly don't think that was the case.  

So, on reflection, I'm glad I have ticked one off and I am pleased I completed the event.  OK, I'm not delighted with the time but, deep down, I know it is the best I could have done on the day.  I am talking some positives from it as well.  I think my food/drink strategy was fine as from an energy perspective I was okay on the race and I don't feel too bad this morning, apart from the soreness in my hammies).

Apologies if this is coming across as a negative report, but it is accurate image

• Hi Carl. Nice last run, similar to mine and I found it gave me back a bit of zip...

Hi Ricky, You have had a good run up to your marathon, and I am sure you are just feeling the normal feedback from the body. I am sure the week of less mileage this week during the taper will get you feeling back on track.

Hi Big_G, Well done on the run, that profile looked brutal and coupled with bad weather, that was a great run. I also take my hat off to you for the double gourmet Burger Meal, that is fantastic going and a display of shear endurance  image Seriously though, well done you should be very proud of yourself...

Hi Ali, Never been on a spinning class, I have seen the guys at it whilst I have been stretching and exercising on the mat in the gym, and I must admit I think it looks rather frightening! I kind of went of the idea when I was performing some interval training at the gym and when going on to a bike interval my calf went into a spasm...

Little story.. On our way home to Edinburgh from York yesterday I passed a guy dressed in his running gear and asked how he got on in the marathon, " Great he said, I had only ever ran 14 miles for my longest run", wow I said, and before I could say anything more my son enquired "What was your time?" to which he replied " 3:45, and it is my first marathon" I could only congratulate him on such an amazing achievement, kind of got me that one!

I have had Sunday and Monday off resting and will do some interval runs tomorrow, feeling a lot more relaxed now. Last week was a bit of a header at work and I really didn't know whether I was coming or going also trying to cram in the runs. I am off until Thursday now, decorating Tues, Wed so aiming to chill a bit and not rise early to run, trying to get some quality kip in.

Went out with my 10 yr old daughter for a run this morning, 2 miles with 1 mile timed, she is competing in a relay cross country this weekend, 1 mile leg each. Afraid it wasn't pretty, she is a sprinter and not quite into pacing. A lot of please don't say I can't do it and advising to replace with I can do it! We are off out again before teatime...

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - no need to apologise. You have another marathon under your belt and you finished when many others would have given up. For such a tough course and appalling conditions, that is a really good time. It was probably never going to be a PB due to the terrain but when the going got tough you somehow managed to find that extra mental focus to make you push to the finish. 

Well done you. And you should take the positives from this. We are all still learning on here and it is during the tough runs that we learn if we have what it really takes to improve and go faster. You do. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - nice story image don't you just hate those people who say they just turn up for a marathon and knock out a time we would all love.

Best of luck with the 10 year old. We struggle sometimes with the concept of pacing so imagine how hard it must be for her !! My 10 year old is keen that I take him out as he wants to run a 3k race next year. I have promised him that once hos arm is better I will take him out and see how he gets on. Suspect I will have similar challenges.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nell Blue wrote (see)

Hi Big_G, Well done on the run, that profile looked brutal and coupled with bad weather, that was a great run. I also take my hat off to you for the double gourmet Burger Meal, that is fantastic going and a display of shear endurance  image Seriously though, well done you should be very proud of yourself...

What's better than one Gourmet Burger Meal?  Two Gourmet Burger Meals!

Carl/Nell, I have a similar story about a mate of mine.  He was generally fit, but never ran before.  In his late 30s he trained for and did Paris in 2012 (his first marathon) and got a GFA for London for 2013.  He was disappointed with this as he was hoping for sub-3 so went back to Paris earlier this year and did a sub-3 and then took his London GFA place the week later and did something like 3hrs10.  He's got a confirmed spot at Boston next year and is just looking at costs of getting over there but if he can, he'll run that.  It makes you sick, doesn't itimage

Don't get me wrong, he worked extremely hard to get that sub-3.  He followed P&D 55-70 to the letter and he went through some dark times where he sounded like he was going to jack it in.  But he obviously had some kind of natural talent that many of us could only dream of.  He's got quite a stressful job but the training took over his life, but he's that type of bloke.

• Hi Carl, Yes, I was just taken away by the guy to be honest. But he sounded such a nice guys (as we all are!) I thought he deserved it image.

I wish you luck with your ten year old and hope the arm is coming along Carl. Problem with my daughter is she has always went everywhere at a high speed apart from when she is in front of the telly! We'll get there, as long as she enjoys it then I'm happy. Isn't it amazing how kids have such a natural ease of running though, I have tried to teach my two how to try and run efficiently but I think also it is natural to them...

Hi Big_G Hope you are recovering ok, yes that is some achievement running a sub 3 and hats off to your man. I know someone who ran sub 3 at Edinburgh this year although he kept it a secret that he was going for it. He ran Chicago just last week and got 3:01:49...He actually ran Loch Ness with a groin strain last year in 3:30! Ye Gods, these guys!

That is interesting Big_G how he followed P&D to the letter as there is not a lot of long runs in the plan is there? Is there one or two 20 milers?

4 mile run for me this morning, 1 mile or so jog, 10 x 200M intervals then 1 mile or so slow jog! Ran the intervals at 35-40 secs, hence the slow jog back, uphill ;0(