RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• PS Carl CONGRATS on the 5k PB!

• Hi Carl, well done on the parkrun. I would definitely go for the HM you have got the training in and just need to tick over until then. You deserve to get a run in befor ethe end of the year...

Hi Big_G, Lovely photo, that brune bierre looks looks very tempting ;0)

Hi Andrew, Good splits, what time are you hoping for in Brighton. Will also look forward to hearing about that event too, I like the look of Brighton.

Hi Ricky, Managed to get a decent sleep on Thursday. I ended up taking a couple of Ibruprofen before going to bed to make sure. Up until then the legs were aching on the evening in bed ;0(

Still no running, like you I have had a good week off and done nowt! I popped into the gym to do some light S&C and a little bit of stretching today. I may go out for a short canter tomorrow morning. No hill running tomorrow though!

Hi Ali, I'll let you know on running in the horrible weather soon...

Alas the parkruns are not on my agenda at present...unfortunately. I take the kids to their swimming lesson on a Sat morning and that is when my wife gets away to do her stuff. I think that would be pushing it if I tried to get out to that as well as a long run on the Sunday....so for the moment  I will have to have my own parkrun during the week image

• At the moment I am contemplating a 10 mile event at Ponteland on Sun 24th Nov (about a 2hr drive from here). I will see how things go when I get back running. Also there is a bizarre run at Newcastle racecourse in December. A marathon and HM ran around the course. The marathon is 16 times and the HM 8 times around the course. Not sure abut the marathon, think I would get dizzy. But the HM seems achievable, I will put that in reserve and see how I feel. Think it may get very boring though.

• I heard about that Newcastle race Nell.  Must say sounds awfie boring to me though!  Not to mention is it on grass all the way round?  No thank you very much!  

• Evening all. I landed this morning and after getting off the plane thinking the weather wasnt too bad a couple of minutes later I was adding more layers. 

Carl - the right decision was made by you, obviously it was far more important to be with your family at that time, good on you. Keep up those track sessions. I recall they were doing you the power of good earlier in the year when training for the spring marathon. Bedford half eh, hopefully you can get that PB there.

Ali - good to see you are getting back into the swing of things following LN. Well done on the park run too. I arrived back today and you were right it is bloody freezing !

Ricky - shame you and Carl didn't get chance to throw some shapes at the disco. A 5 minute PB by you too so really well done mate, again considering you had a bit of a niggle that's a cracking effort. A top 19% finish is really good going. A great year of racing from you and some of the training runs you have told us about have been terrific, I find you very inspirational. Don't you fancy trying an ultra then ? Maybe it might be easier to run 50 miles at a nice steady pace and follow a walk/run strategy rather than going hell for leather at a marathon ? 

Big_G - sounds like a lovely break from running while you have a few beers in Bruge.

Andrew - good to hear from you again. Good luck with the P&D plan, have you followed one of theirs before ? The reason I ask is that a couple of us on here tried following one of their plans and it was really hard going so I would just say be careful not to overdo it. And well don't with pacing your brother round too.

• SFB - hi and welcome. Ricky claims he is t he worlds worst stretcher and strength trainer but I can give him a good run for his money. Like Nell, I have been suffering with ITB issues for about 8 months now. I went to physio and did some stretches/strength work and this seemed to help my injury. However, as the weeks have passed by I have been doing them less and less and I havent done any in the last month. Ironically, my ITB has not been a problem in that time and it has felt the best it has in those 8 months. That's not much help to you I'm afraid but I do think that stretching and strength work does help you so my advice to you would be to come up with a routine you can follow regularly. I have, however, just started doing a yoga class one lunchtime a week' only dont it a couple of times so too early to say if it is benefiting the running or not. Re the pace of long runs' earlier on in the year I was doing them at 10:00 min miles but this felt too easy so I would now run them nearer 9:30.

• So, the detox has started and it's been about 20 hours since my last beer so I am well on the way image

Sitting on the beach gave me plenty of time to think about my next few months running. Starting from next week I will be running 4 times a week and aiming to get in 30 - 35 miles. This will be along side cycling in to work 3 days of the week plus the yoga class. I will also try and get in a long cycle, this may alternate with my long run, and try and do a bit of cycling with Mrs C too. I really do need to get back to doing some stretched and strength work as I havent done any in the last few weeks. Strangely though, the ITB/knee has been the best it has been since I picked up the injury in February. So, that will hopefully get me a nice base up to the new year when I can start a training plan for a spring marathon. Oh, and I seriously need to do something about my diet and alcohol consumption...

• Carter, no I've not tried P&D before. They do look pretty hard work but seem to get results. I'm planning on doing the 55mile 18 week programme but I'll tweak it as I need to.  Your plan for the next few months sounds pretty good!

6.35 miles tonight, got faster as I went on... 8:12, 7:50, 7:37, 7:33, 7:39, 7:23 and the final 0.35 at 6:28 pace.

• Hi Ali, I know it does sound boring, but I feel drawn to it in some way. It is not on the grass but on the inside track. Not as bad as a race Scott Jurek the great Ultra Runner  competed in. He ran the Brive la Gaillarde a 24hr ultra race the circuit 0.9 miles of the village, round and round and rou..... the winner was the one that completed the most circuits! Eat & Run is a great book by the way.

I certainly fancy the 10 miler on 24th if I am fit enough. It is the same organisers as the Marathon the other week.

Hi Carter, I fell into that trap before. I eased off the S&C and it came back to bite me in the bum (sorry couldn't resist the pun!).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Dropping in... 

Waves to Carter and Karl

Nell the Newcastle HM is full so only places left for the marathon & 50k. It runs around the ambulance track so Tarmac/gravel underfoot. Not a bad surface to run on. 

Are you Edinburgh based? 

• First run post Dublin tonight & it felt good! 4 easy miles with full winter fluoro gear @ 9.30pm. I had a hellish day at work and a bit of a stress headache and nearly didn't bother - glad I did though as it de-stressed me and the sore head has gone! Just ran at what felt like an easy recovery pace - turned out to be 9.10 pace for the run.

Legs felt good - hamstrings just feeling a little tight still though.

Carter - sounds like the break has been good for you & focused your mind on your running/cycling plans in the future. An Ultra may also be on the cards - never say never! On one hand I feel I want a different challenge to a marathon but on the other I feel I have unfinished business with marathon distanca and I have a 3:30 in me.

• Nell- you get these 24 hr ultras run on 400m tracks!  Absolutley insane!  I don't know how anyone could do it- truly strong spirit needed!

Carter- welcome back from holidays.  It is too cold here image  What was portugal like this time of year?  Still warm enough to sunbathe?  I am sooo jealous.

Andrew- so many posts this week....are you here to stay again?! image

Hello Minni...enjoy reading your posts on the speedy thread where I dream of one day joining...

Ricky welcome back to running.  Glad you enjoyed the first run back- sometimes I feel like if you have a wee break you're just aching to get back on your feet again!  And nothing is better after a crappy day at work for destressing than a relaxing run.  Or sometimes I prefer a short, fast, burst on the treadmill where I get my rage out and step off feeling like I'm going to collapse.  One or the other.

• Hi Minni, Yes I am Edinburgh based. I do not think I'll bother with the Full Marathon, 16 times around seems a bit excessive. Are you running it? I may go for the Ponteland run and drive down early on the Sunday morning, just to finish the year off. Are you based in the NE yourself Minni (NE England that is)?

Hi Ali, Yes you can keep that stuff, At least for the moment, ultras are certainly not on my radar....

Hi Ricky, I too had my first run today since the marathon. 3 miles this morning, probably went a bit too fast and averaged 8 min/miles. I was keeping the cadence high to protect the knees and just seemed to fall into that speed. Also it was cold (staying with the shorts for the moment)! Legs slightly heavy but I did some S&C the day before.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Just popping out for my tempo run. 

Winter. Dark cold nights. I remember these from earlier this year.

Going to my personal running track. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Back in. It was a tad cold out there on the running track and windy on the home straight. As per normal.

loads of fireworks going off all round the place.

1.5 miles w/u.

3 miles tempo pace. 7:27 min; 7:22 min and 7:22 min.

1.5 miles c/d.

i have not gone out running this late for some time and probably did not get my hydration / nutrition balanced to run this late. Thought about doing a 4th mile but knew that that would have been pushing it tonight.

• BigG - thanks for the link to Shades 10 in 10 challenge. Just read it: Wow - inspirational stuff!

Went to club night this evening - 5 x 6min session.... was strangely put into a faster group which puzzled me only a week after Dublin. Legs still feeling it and the pace was 6.30 so after 3 intervals I dropped back to the slower group behind for the final 2 intervals which were run at a more managble 6.50 pace.
    Total of 4.5 miles for the 30mins of intervals with 1 mile warm up & 1 mile cool down so 6.5miles in total.

Probably not the wisest session but felt reasonably ok - will take the rest of the week easy - a couple of easy runs just I think.

• Good session Carl! Fireworks probably made you run faster!

• Good sessions Carl and Ricky, very impressed with that pace so soon after a Mara Ricky, but then I ran my half PB two weeks after London Mara and my 10k PB two weeks after that.  I found that mentally it was really beneficial as I could clearly remember just how tough london had been.

Ali, I hope I'm hear to stay again. I'm tend to drop out when injured but all ok at the moment.  I find it very inspirational not only being able to tell like minded people about my runs, achievments and problems but also reading all your stories and achievements

should be out for a run tonight but had 3 very long days at work this week so having a day off, if I'm feeling up to it I'll then run tomorrow, Friday and then a longer run on Sunday

• Well done Carl and Ricky.  Back strong after Dublin Ricky.  I think part of us never loses the desire to go fast- even when we know we shouldn't.  

Andrew- glad you're well just now- long may it continue.

So I did 8 miles last night (following my 8.5 on Monday night which was meant to be a longer run but wasn't due to horrid weather/my laziness...) so was pretty happy that even though I hadn't done a long long run this week I had done 2 back to back mid distance runs.

Tonight I did a quick 5k after work which was a nice change, my legs wouldn't have been up to much longer as they are pretty tired from Monday/Tuesday's runs combined.

Think I'll give myself tomorrow off and possibly Friday too then run at the weekend again.  I am tired but happy with what I've done so far this week.

• Talking of running too fast. I did my first post-holiday run at lunchtime. My first mile was 7:15 then 7:30, 7:50 and by this stage I could hardly breath. I put it down to a bit of a cold (manflu) that has started rather than the copious amounts of food and alcohol consumed last week image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)

Dropping in... 

Waves to Carter and Karl

Minni - thanks for dropping in.  All going well here.image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - you and copius amounts of food and alcohol. Can not believe it. Surely not.image

What is with the santa hat. It is not even December !!!!!!!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Long day at work today so did not get home in time to do any running. Planning an interval session on the track tomorrow night. Hoping to get some sort of MLR in on Friday night and then there is the parkrun on Saturday. Need to get round to stay in the running for my VLM place alongside Big G. Then I am off up to Liverpool with the wee lad to watch the footie. A bit of a req=ward for him after having a rough few weeks with his broken elbow.

• Hi all,

I'm into my second week of doing sweet Fanny Adams due to the old ankle and much to my own surprise I am thoroughly enjoying myself, no agitation or bad moods from me so clearly I was ready for a short break from it all. It's responding really well and I am using my time by sorting out my running calendar for next year, my dance card is filling up nicely, I'm going long rather than fast.

I'm enjoying reading all your posts on here and living vicariously through all your activities so for my sake please keep running and flogging yourself out there in the cold and wet, I really do appreciate it.

• Hi Guys, Ran 4.5 miles today roughly just under 8 min/mile pace and felt ok.

I have been running in the Kinvara 3 's for nearly a year now and have got on really well with them. They are a 4mm heel to toe drop and have been tempted to try a zero drop. I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of Inov8 Bare-X 180 Running Shoes and I am going to give them a trial over the winter period.

Anyone have any views or experience in this area? If I recall correctly I think you were heading that way Oirish, Is that right?

By the way Ali, the kinvara 3 supplies seem to be drying up quickly, I am struggling to get an 8 in them now. I am not desperate so I am hanging off as I think the K5's will no doubt be out soon image

• just a short run for me tonight as I didn't get home from work until 7.30 so went straight out for a quick 3.25miles.  Splits were 7.25, 6.46, 6.44 and final quarter at 7.40 pace

currently having fun and games with my left glute though which has felt slightly numb for the last few days

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy a pair of trail shoes this weekend, if I can make it into town.  If I am going to keep the 8-parkrun streak going for the chance of the London marathon place I'm going to need them as it's getting very muddy on the course in this weather.  I don't really know where to start with this (I currently run in Asics GT2170 for all my road training/races), but hopefully the local running shop will help me out.

I've been feeling a bit off kilter with regards to running and generally feeling quite tired, even though I was hoping that my holiday last week would have done me some good.  I was hoping to do about 30-35 miles this week, but that's not going to happen unfortunately.  Hopefully I'll pick it up next week.  I did go out for a quick (for me) 6-miler today and it was the best run I've had since DMV the other weekend and I actually felt like I wanted to get out there and run.  After a quick warm up I did 7:55, 7:30, 7:40, 7:33, 7:44 & 7:29 which I was quite pleased with and is the fastest session I've done for some time.  I was knackered at the end (the last mile and a half is up a slight incline), but I enjoyed it.

• Hi Oirish, good to hear from you.  Sometimes you really need a break.  I will keep going out in the rain and wind for you image

Nell thanks for the heads up, I just checked the ladies ones and I can still find size 5s online so I think I might snap some up, they are 47.50 which is a bargain!

So I would like someone to answer my very tiny dilemma.

At my work I've had a really long week and have worked some long days!  (We have been launching 'Christmas' in the world of retail) I left a handover to my next in charge tonight saying that I would be taking back an hour (one of many extra worked) tomorrow morning and would come in at 11 instead of 10 because I'm fooking knackered!!

Anyway now I've committed to going into work later, I am really fancying running parkrun!!  I don't often get the chance and quite fancy going along tomorrow and smashing my PB again!

But, answer me this, is it cheeky to have told my next in charge that I was coming in late because I'm exhausted only to use the time to run a 5k instead?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali, I would say it's your own time so you can do what you want.  You could always say that you'll feel invigorated after the parkrun and thus even more ready to tackle whatever joys work will have to throw at you image

• That's what I wanted to hear G image

oh dear why are all the faces Santas?!