RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - run. You know you want to. It is your time. You seem to have earned it. image

I will be running but tomorrow it will only be a gentle stroll. I have had a crazy week at work and have not been able to get the running in that I really want to. If I wake up early enough I might get a couple of miles in before the parkrun and then jog around enjoying myself rather than flogging my guts out. This way I have taken part and am still in with a chance (not a great chance but a chance in any case) of an entry to VLM.  

Still undecided about running the HM in early December. I want to but am not sure I will get the training in to do it. Then I fancy taking the pressure off and just enjoying the running for a few weeks while trying to get in 30 - 35 miles per week so that I can kick into marathon training after Christmas. Still undecided about which marathon too. Too much being undecided going on here I think.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carl - I think we can say you're decidedly undecided image I am the same though. 

I also fancy having a go at a half in December but I can't find one local enough (local means within a 2hr drive). I'll keep looking. I don't want an off-road event though. 

I got 10 miles in yesterday at a steady 10min/mile. The first 6 were fine but the last 4 were very cold image I got home and even though I had been wearing gloves etc I couldn't feel my hands. Not pleasant! That's the longest run since DMV. 

I'll be doing a parkrun this morning but not eyeballs out. I may try and use it as a tempo-paced run but I'll see when I get there. 

I think I'm going to enter a 10k for March. If I do that'll be a half in mid-Feb, a half in early March and a 10K in late March. The aim would be to 'give it some' at these events and build any marathon plan around them. 

• Ali - sod what your co-worker thinks, get out there and smash your PB. 

Big_g - nice 10 miles in the cold, something we are all going to have to get used to over the next few months. 

Carl - I'm now finding that running as and when I want to, rather than following a training plan, can be rather good for you. If you can't be bothered to go for a run or miss one because of other commitments then so what. There is no pressure on you so just enjoy it. 

A shit week at work for me too. I came back from my hols to the announcement that there are going to be redundancies. Not sure if I'm one who is going to be considered yet so worrying times waiting to find out. Anyway, I'm off out for a trot shortly. Not sure how far or what pace I will run at, I will see how I feel when I get out there, another benefit of not following a plan for the time being

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - I agree about the running.  It's nice to just get out there an do what you want sometimes.  That's more or less the attitude I'm going to try and take between now and Xmas I think.

Ali/Carl - I found myself thinking about you guys and this thread whilst trotting around my parkrun this morning.  I enjoyed mine so I hope you enjoyed yours too.

Mine was a total mudfest, but I loved it!  I wish I had a video camera for You've Been Framed as there were loads of people who fell in image  (is that an evil thing for me to think....apologies if it is image)  I nearly face planted a couple of times myself, but it was good fun.  I slipped and slid around in about 24:50 I think.

It's not the most exciting of pictures, but these were reasonably clean this morning.  I think I definitly need some trail shoes!   I'm hoping to get to a running shop today to try out a few pairs.

/members/images/465898/Gallery/Mud.jpg

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - sounds like a fun run for you this morning.

i did not make it out early but got to my usual park run. It was very cold out there today. My hands were still frozen after the run.

My park run is inside the Heath and is a mixed surface. Majority is on tarmac paths but there is a gravel section on one of the downhills and a trail section on one of the up hills where we go through the wooded area. Also a lot of leaves on the ground and water runoff. So not too bad today but will get messy as the weeks go by.

but Big G yours sounds like a serious mud bath.

I set out this morning with no intention of racing it. Plan was to run at MP of circa 8 min/mile.

Really enjoyed the first mile and found to my surprise that I did this in 7:40.

Mile 2 is always tough as it starts with a steep climb and following the descent you start a long steady climb ending with the climb on the trail in the woods. A respectable 7:59 for this mile. 

Somehow mile 3 ended up being my fastest mile with me completing it in 7:37. 

I did push the last bit and crossed the line in 23:50 and finishing at 6;45 pace.

On the train up to Liverpool at the moment with my little fella to watch the Reds. Hoping for a good result to cheer him up after his troubles with his elbow.

Last week I was 37th out of a field of 194 runners.

Just got my text message confirming my time (what a great organisation the park run crew are) telling me that this week I was 45th.

Really pleased with that. 

And still in with a chance of winning those tickets too. 

Ali - did you go running today ?

• Hi Ali, Reading between the lines you are tired of work not running, so hopefully you got out there.

Hi Andrew, Nice splits. If you don't mind me saying, all your runs seem to be pretty tempo. Are you stretching enough after? This may be why you are feeling the glute numbness. I have felt that before and found stretching more and getting the old spikey ball into the glutes helped...I hope that helps?

Hi Carl, I think you will be ok for the HM. You have the miles in you and I think you owe it to yourself and also I believe it will get it out of your system and make you feel better through the winter.

Hi Big_G, There are plenty of trail shoes to pick from, good luck. image

Hi carter, Good advice and hope the run went ok?

I went for a run yesterday (4.75miles) 7:38,7:11,7:02,7:58,6:17 The figures flatter me as miles 2 and part of 3 were pretty easy with down hill parts. I wanted to just see where I was and felt something from the left ITB so will get stretching and rolling. I am not running today as I ventured down to Manchester for a concert yesterday and drove back on the same night, getting back to Edinburgh at about 3:30, it was great, like being 18 again! Working tonight with some scheduled power work at a Data centre so will see how I am Sun AM and maybe go for a 6-7 mile recovery run...

Once I have ran the 10 miler on the 25th I intend to ease right off until Jan and give the body a rest...although if I feel I am not up to it I will just scrub the 10 miler.

• Good luck with the football Carl

Hi Big G I think that was a tough marathon you had so the body is probably still recovering or it is still recovering from the belgium beer ;0)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nell - yes, I think the marathon took it out of me more that I appreciated.  It's only the last couple of days that I've really wanted to run.  Before that I've been kind of forcing myself out and have been lacking motivation which is unlike me really, but even then not doing what I had planned.  I'm feeling more like getting out there a bit more now (even though yesterday was very cold!), so I have got my mojo back a bit.

I went to my local running shop today and tried a few different pairs of trail shoes on.  I run in Asics usually so I was fully expecing to walk out with a pair of Asics trail shoes (I forget the name of the model) but the fit wasn't the same as they felt too tight.  I ended up with a pair of Adidas Kanadia, and they seem fine based on the 1 minute jog I did them on the pavement outside the shop.  I'll go for a run out in them in the week and then properly test them next week at the parkrun.  In fact, it is my birthday fairly soon so my wife bought me the shoes, which was great.  The running shop I go to sponsor my club so we got a 15% discount too.

Whilst in there my wife and I signed up for a charity 5K event in December.  Everyone dresses up as Father Christmas (the costumes are part of the entry fee and it's mandatory to wear them....) and I know a lot of my club do the event and then go for a few drinks after, so my wife and I thought we'd give it a go.

• Hi Nell, I think your spoton about the stretching and I am making a real effort to stretch and roller daily (lasted 2whole days so far!) but it does seem to have helped already.

i do have one further injury issue which is pain in my big toe, I can't work out if it's an arthritis type pain or if it's caused by my orthotics as the right one has a section that runs under my big toe on.  Thinking I may try my long run tomorrow without them in. I need them to prevent a return of Plantar fasciitis but as I wear them all day everyday I may be able to get away without them for running

• Evening all. It was grim up north on this mornings run. Leggings and thermals helped but it was still bitterly cold, we have even had some sleet this afternoon. Anyway, I managed about 12 miles @ 10:00 min miles but I was struggling from the start. My legs felt like they were seizing up after a couple of miles so I carried on running (more of a shuffle really) thinking they would loosen up but they didn't. A warm bath and dossing on the sofa all afternoon but I'm still aching. There is only one thing for it, get the magners out.....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So Carter, almost back to where we started then ..... image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Big_G wrote (see)

Carl - I think we can say you're decidedly undecided image I am the same though. 

Nell Blue wrote (see)

Hi Carl, I think you will be ok for the HM. You have the miles in you and I think you owe it to yourself and also I believe it will get it out of your system and make you feel better through the winter.

Both - It is a tough call really.

On the one hand I have put in training so it would be a shame not to put it to some use. It would be nice to have a crack at a PB. But on the other hand I really want a marathon PB and more than that I want to get a Boston qualifying time. That is my real next running goal. So carrying on training may mean that I am tired going into teh end of the year and not fresh to really go after the training in the first few months of next year.

If I did the HM early December and really went for it, a marathon in early April might just be too soon. So a marathon later in May might be better.

Who knows.

And of course then there is Carter's point about not following a plan and just enjoying the running. Great idea.

I think I will give it one more week and see how I am doing. It is only 13.1 miles. Not far really ....

• Carter- sorry to hear about your shit time at work.  Have my fingers crossed everything turns out fine.

Carl- another good parkrun, well paced too.

Nell- you are back with a vengeance post marathon.  Very quick run!

G- having seen your shoes I'd love to see your parkrun course!!

Andrew- Nell is right, you run lots of short fast miles!  Good on you- my legs would kill- but hope you run some easy paced stuff too and do take time to take care of your legs!

Well after wanting to go to parkrun this morning I slept terribly last night and didn't feel well.  So I thought- stay in bed for the extra hour, then see how you feel after work.

I went to the gym after work and decided to do a good treadmill run to make up for my parkrun absence today.  I did a 10 minute slow warm up (1.5km) then a quick 5k (in 23:28- slower than I could run in real life but feels HARD on a treadmill and I gave it a lot!) then did a slow cool down till I hit 40 minutes total time and 7.5 km.

Then did 10 minutes spinning as a cool down from my cool down image

So although I didn't get my parkrun in I felt happy with a nice treadmill run which included a decent paced 5k, and I am satisfied I got to work out today.

• Carl - yes, back to where we started. I think the magners has been the most consistent aspect of the last 12 months or so image What is the qualifying time for Boston ?

Ali - thanks for the kind words about the work situation. You do a cool down after a cool down ? Very impressive indeed. 

Nell - take care of that pesky ITB. 

Andrew - do you get the toe pain during a run or after ? When I have finished a run my right big toe hurts like hell until I 'crack' it then it's fine. 

Big _g - did you get yourself some trail/fell trotters ? I'm hoping that in another couple of weeks I will be fit enough to get out in the mud of the peaks. It's great fun, makes you work hard and benefits your running greatly. Get out there as much as you can

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - yes, I got a pair of Adidas Kanadia trail shoes. I'm looking forward to getting out in them.  There was a person in the shop buying what looked like racing flats and he wanted 15mm spikes with them so he could use them off road. I suppose I haven't really been on the look out for it as I don't do much off-road stuff but I don't think I've seen anyone wearing spikes whilst out on an off-road course. He looked like he knew what he was doing though!

I was supposed to be running early this morning but last night we caught up with friends we haven't seen for a while and it ended up being a late one and I've only just got up. I'll wake myself up and then see if I'm up for a bimble about a bit later. 

• Hi Andrew, You may be on to something with the orthotics. I had problems with my big toe some time ago when playing football and found going up half a size in my boots helped. Must have not been enough room in the toe area. At least with the orthotics out that might give you a bit more space....  I have resisted the orthotic path. I am fallen arches and suffer from ITB issues but have been working hard for nearly a year now to prove the physio and chiropractor wrong as they have kept suggesting orthotics. I have blown out the chiropractor as to be honest I do not believe he really added anything, apart from a bill ;0)

Hi Carl, Good result yesterday. The highlights looked good. I really like that Sturridge- Suarez partnership!

Hi Ali, You seem really positive lately which is good going into your HM next week.

Showing good endurance there Carter

Hi Big_G, Sounds like the guy in the shop was going into the cross country season seriously!

• Went out today and like Big_G I have not appreciated how the last marathon shredded my legs. The undulations and hills on the course really took it out on the quads and hamstrings, and basically most of the muscles in my legs I think ;0)

Started off 7:20, 7:42...at this point I decided to take the pace down as on the last run I did feel the left ITB start to play up.8:00,8:26,8:14 next three. Things were not too bad in these 3 miles I did feel a kind of dullness in the ITB at some point, but just concentrated on my posture and things seemed to be ok. Came in on the last mile and a half 7:58, 3:13. 6.5 miles total.

From the run today the legs did feel a bit heavy but I can put that down to a late night Friday and then working last night. Standing up and walking around a computer room from 19:30 - 23:00 I suppose is not good prep for a run in the morning. I still think the legs are recovering slightly so I will try and keep the runs this week more on the recovery side. Easier said than done as I always have the temptation to strike out, but I think I really need to ease off this week to combat the ITB.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I went out in my trail shows for the first time today, and really enjoyed it!  I was totally unconcerned with pace but it was just nice to get out there, in what were great conditions.  I chose a flat, coastal route that I've walked along many times, but running it was a different experience and it was great.  I got about 7.5 miles in on an out-and-back route on mixed terain (gravel paths, sandy paths, tarmac, mud, beach).  I even stopped for an ice cream part way and ate that whilst sitting on the sea wall image

Here is the route (not sure why it has me out in the sea, as I didn't do that but this part was on the beach).  It was surprisingly very quiet with people which was nice.

/members/images/465898/Gallery/Coastal_Path.jpg

• Nell - I think a couple of recovery runs this week is the order of the day. Do you find that the colder weather has any impact on your ITRB ?

Big_G - nice run in the new trotters. I have some Kanadias and find they are great for multi surfaces so if there a re a couple of different trails I want to run it's not a problem running on the road to get to one of them. They aren't brillain when it comes to really steep, muddy tracks though. I see you are in Dawlish, we are off camping next year and the plan is to stay at Ipplepen which I see isnt too far from where you are

• Ali - which half are you running next week ?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - I don't live in Dawlish, but I live in nearby Newton Abbot so drove to Dawlish and ran from there.  Which campsite are you planning on staying at next year?  This may sound really strange, but in the past I have camped in and around Ipplepen even though it's only a few miles from my house!  We used to have a campervan and we used to jump in it and get a long to a campsite after work on a Friday, and we found it was a great way to very quickly switch off from work.  We'd turn up at the site, plug the 'van in and have a beer in our hands within 5mins image  The 'van was becoming too expensive to keep going though (it drunk diesel, at

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

My last message got cut off because I dared to put a "less than" sign in....grrr

Anyway, it drank diesel at "less than" 15 mpg so we let it go.

Generally, I'm quite pleased with my running this week.  I was hoping for 35 miles and at one stage I thought I was going to be very short of that, but I ended uo with 32.5 so I'm pleased with that.

Carter - what shoes do you use for the really muddy stuff?

I am tempted with a 3K track session tomorrow.  I've never set foot on a proper track before but there is race series going on in nearby Exeter.  It's only 1.86 miles so it sounds like a distance you can go out and give it some, and then try to hold on!  I'll see how work goes tomorrow and decide from there.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Loads of good stuff going on here by all at the moment.

Andrew - Carter and Nell will sort you out. They seem to know most about different running niggles and usually are spot on. Both seem to have everything under control as well which is even better.

I would have put a smiley face but everything comes with a santa hat and as it is still November I have decided that santa hats are not appropriate yet !!

Nell - I agree with Carter. Take things a little easier this week. The experts suggest nothing for 2 weeks after a marathon and then to build up easyy again. You do seem to be a little speedy so running more to the recovery end will be harder but probably beneficial. With the colder weather we are having it is probably best to be a little cautious as overdoing it may cause the ITB to come back.

Big G - that sounds like a great run today. Must be nice to run on mixed trails and by the sea as well. Really envious.

If it works for you tomorrow try out the track. Don't be surprised if there are some real speed merchants out there. As you say 3k is not too far and it will be an eyes out type of run for sure. Running on a track is very different from the road. I enjoy it and intend to do more this winter than I did last winter.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So today was a nice bright cold winters day in London. With one thing and another I could not get out until nearly 4:30 so it was getting dusk. I decided that I would spend the time in and around the Heath and would incorporate my 5k route into my run.

An image of the heath with the parkrun route marked out is below.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Parkrun_Satellite.jpg

During the first lap alot of people were on teh move clearly going home as it was getting gloomy. By the time I got to the end of teh second lap it was getting darker and harder to see people (and their dogs).

I kicked on to the highgate side of the heath and up through Kenwoood House area to reach the road that bounds the heath on the north side. This is a climb and beats the climbs on the 5k route. But visibility was next to nothing and all I could hear was the squelch squelch as I moved along.

I was really enjoying myself out there tonight but realised that doing this run in dusk and dark is just not on. This was about the limit of what you could do safely.

Also made me realise that I will nead to invest in another pair of trotters as these one will get destroyed the more I try and do here over the winter.

So the profile of my route looked something like this :

/members/images/557163/Gallery/HH_101113.jpg

And my splits were :

8:23; 8:28; 8:30; 8:16; 8:46; 8:30; 8:12; 7:46

Overall 8:21 min/mile.

I was buzzing at the end of this and could have gone longer but just did not have the time.

Legs feel good.

I have been trying to think why I do not do this more often. Of course winter marathon training means that this route is too dark and dangerous in the evenings and it does not quite work for a LSR at the weekends.

But today was about running for fun and it was fun indeed.

• Carl - sounds like you are venturing into the world of trail running. Get yourself a head torch (I've got an Alpkit Gamma and for £15 you can't go wrong) and find some new routes and if possible some quite country roads or trails. It's a very weird feeling to start with, running down pitch black roads and when you look to your side you see a cow looking back at you ! But I found this type of running really enjoyable and I think it's one of those runs where you can forget about pace and just enjoy yourself. Oh, and at 4:30 up north it's already pitch black !

Big_g - we are off to Ross Park in the first week of august I think it is. We have only just bought our tent and are currently getting all the kit together. We intend to do a trial run around April/May as I'm pretty sure it will take us forever to get the tent up. For the real muddy stuff I run in some Salomon Fellraisers. As the name would suggest they are for the rocky, gravely, muddy stuff as the grip on them is really quite pronounced. I feel a lot more comfortable giving it some welly in the tricky conditions compared to the kanadias. That's not to say I don't like them as I find them very comfy indeed. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I will be able to get out in the Fellraisers and give them a good workout. I took the mutt for a walk in the peaks on Friday and already it's muddy as hell so the trotters will be out to the test

• Interesting hearing about trail shoes.  I've never bought any as living in the city centre means I rarely go off road.  When I do, it tends to be quite tame paths/trails rather than anything really extreme.  So I probably don't need them.

Nell- you do have to remember how long it can take to recover from a marathon.  After I did my first marathon I think it was about 5 weeks before I felt recovered.  After my most recent I felt recovered after a couple of weeks but then that's experience and having done more as a runner.

G- your coastal run sounds nice.  In Aberdeen, running by the beach is my favourite place to go.  There is something mesmerising about the sea.

Carter- I am running Fraserburgh Half Marathon a week today.  I'm looking forward to it, a lot of people say it's a great event, there is a good spread at the end, and you get a lovely winter long sleeved technical tee.  Got my priorities sorted image (bloody winking Santa... *bah humbug*)  I am just happy to be doing one last race of the year, I think it will be nice.

Carl- great run from you, I love that feeling when everything goes right in a run and you could have gone on and on.  Doesn't happen that often mind!

I finished my week with just a short jog after work today, just about 5k. Had another hellish day at work today so even though I only got home at about 9 o clock I was dying to get out for a short destressing run.

• As a PS- this thread has been nice and lively recently.  Loving it!

• So, I've got my new bike and have been plodding along on it recently. Today, I thought it was time to extend my ride into work so I chose a route that ended up being 17 miles. It was cold, wet and windy and I get freezing cold and wet through. Why did I think it was a good idea to start cycling at ths time of the year ?? image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - I know Ross Park and it's a nice site.  It's got a bar on site image

Carl - I had a look at the track results from last year and saw some in the high 8mins.  A 9 minute effort would be around 4:50min/miling I think!  However, the organisers have several heats on the night and group people together based on anticipated finish time.  On a flat 5K course I've done 21:29 which is a bit less than 7 min/miling.  On that basis, I think I'd estimate 6:50min/mile which would be around a 12:45 predicted finish time so may try and get myself into that 12-13min group.  I think the 13-14min group may be the more likely finish time but if I can get into the 12-13 group who knows what may happen when those competitive juices start flowing image  Anyway, I may not be able to make the track session today, but there is another opportunity in two weeks time.

Carter/Carl - I also have Alpkit Gamma head torch and it's a great piece of kit.  I haven't used it yet this autumn/winter, but used it quite a lot last year; it's a lot safer and you can really see where you're going although I didn't use it on trails.  Carl, looks like you'll be going down to your local shop and buying some trail shoes shortly, too image

Ali - I know what you mean about running near the sea.  One of my regular training routes takes me along a coastal route on pavements, but yesterday was the first time I've done a trail route.  I'll definitely be doing it again.

• Hi Carl,Carter, Ali - Yes I am taking it down this week. I was the same in June after the Edinurgh Marathon. Although I think the legs took more of a battering this time. I am def going to behave myself this week. I was awake before 5 this morning for some reason and even resisted going out for a run. i went down to the gym and did some S&C work with the grunters. I must admit I quite enjoyed it ;0) easy week and then I will see where I am and whether or not to do the 10 miler on the 25th.

Carter, no the ITB has no preference to weather or seasons I am afraid ;0(

Carl, Good run, sounds like you had good fun last night. Nice to finish the weekend off with a good run. I always try and get out in the morning for my runs which is not always ideal for everyone else. I have the luxury of being based from both office and home so just please myself, which gives me a bit of slack in the mornings and I find my body is more accepting to morning running!

Hi Big_G, I think I have run some of that route when I was on holiday with the family a few years back. we were staying at the Welcome site in Dawlish Warren, I think it was. I would run up towards Dawlish on the road and wind my way round a bit and then head back on the coastal path (hoping the tide wasn't in) and then head down to the bit you looped back and then would do some intervals in the car park by where the railway bridge is then back to the site. Sometimes there would be some good kite surfers down at that estuary area which was quite entertaining.

I remember one day we were the only family left on the beach. Everyone else had abandoned as the weather was awful. It wasn't raining so we had the cricket set out!

Take the shorter route home Carter ;0)