RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nell - that sounds similar to the route I did.  I can't remember if I mentioned but a few weeks ago my sister-in-law and father-in-law both did their first triathlons near there.  Unfortunately it ended up being a run-bike-run as the sea was too dangerous to swim in on that day, but they enjoyed it.

If you go on the other side of the estuary, you can get up to Exeter on some good gravel/cycle paths.  There are one or two decent pubs on the way as well image  I've cycled it a few times, but never ran it all.  I've entered a half marathon in February which is partly ran on some of the cycle paths from Exeter and it's very flat.

• Hi Gang!

Hope you are all doing well?

Humble apologies for not being around recently. I've not been on the forums much of late. Never seem to have time.

I confess I haven't read back through 1000s of messages so I've no idea what you are all up to.

My training has been a bit patchy this year. I've managed to squeeze in 4 trail marathons and an ultra (all slowly) but have only been managing around 100 miles a month.

So - to help motivate me I've signed up for an Ironman next summer! I don't do any cycling so will need to do loads.....

• Hey Spoons, good to hear from you again. 4 trail marathons and an ultra is pretty good going if you ask me ! Which Ironman have you entered, the Outlaw ?? How did it go for you at the Robin Hood marathon ? Since you were last here I have been training for Chester marathon but didnt make it as the ITB wouldnt allow it. I'm currently making a bit of a comeback, running about 20-25 miles per week and I managed a 12 miler at the weekend, although it was very hard going. I've just purchased a new road bike and am currently riding part of the way in to work but am still trying to balance the running and cycling together. I might even attempt a duathlon next year if all goes well !

Keep in touch. Cheers

• Nell - the 17 miles I rode this morning is the shortest route ! I've just checked my gear and it's still wet through. And I have made the novice error of not bringing a change of gear so the ride home tonight could be most unpleasant image 

• Spoons - there has been some great running by the guys, and girls, on here this year with some impressive racing and some new PBs.

• I am doing the Fraserburgh Half Marathon on Sunday.  It will be 7 weeks since Loch Ness.

Since Loch Ness I took a few weeks v. easy with no runs longer than about 6 miles.  SInce then I have done one run at almost 11 miles, and two over 8.  That's the extent of my long runs...even though my training has been generally good and quite consistent, and I've done well over short distance bringing my 5k time down, I am worried that I've not done enough long running in the weeks since Loch Ness.  Weekly mileage has been around 30 with a mix of longer/mid distance runs, tempos, a couple of 5ks including my new PB, and intervals.

Obviously I had lots of miles in my legs pre marathon and it's not like I've forgotten what it's like to run 13... but I am feeling a tad anxious nonetheless.

Do you guys think that I'll be OK for my half?  If you were me what would you be doing this week pre HM?

Thanks image

• Ali - you definitely have enough miles in your legs and averaging 30 miles per week will be more than adequate. This week, if I were you, I would be doing a tempo run on Tuesday - 1 mile w/u, 3 miles @ tempo pace and 1 mile c/d and on Thursday I would do an interval session - 1 mile w/u followed by 4 x 800 and 1 mile c/d. I would then have 2 days rest before my race although I know some people like to go for a short gentle trot the day before. So, I dont think you need to feel anxious. I think you should be feeling positive that you have got enough miles in your legs, plenty of speed and a new PB could be on the cards if you have a good day image

• Thanks Carter.  Really reassuring and good plan for the week.  Definitely going to take the two days off beforehand I think.

• I guess its different for different people but I always felt that having 2 days off left me raring to go on the starting line. That, along with my training, and each time I have run a half I I have got a PB, so that plan for the last week of training has worked for me. I even managed NOT to have a beer the night before !!   (my profile here has just been updated with those pesky santa emoticons and I refuse to use them as I am such a miserable chuff !)  

• Yeah I think laying off the beer/wine the night before a race definitely helps... image Although saying that my HM PB from back in February I was so nervous the night before that I had 2 large glasses of wine (500ml) in the restaurant in my hotel just to help me sleep.... and guess what, it worked a treat, I slept like a log and ran my fastest HM!  Haha but I wouldn't rely on it as a tried and tested method.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali!!  Two-thirds ofa bottle of wine - tut tutimage.  I wonder if Paula ever did that before any races image

There are a couple of people at my club who got absolutely plastered before the London Marathon one year and staggered out of some nightclub at 3am.  They still managed to trot around in a good time - call me a lightweight, but I couldn't do that!  One of them has ran over 100 marathons, and the other is very quick as he has the world record for the fastest marathon dressed as a Roman Solider (2hrs 57mins - second in this list) so they obviously decided to have a blow out one year.

• Hi carter, Good luck with the ride back then ;0(

Hi Big_G, Yes we stayed over the other side at Ladram Bay the year after. I had a few good runs along the coast there too. It was quite good travelling from edinburgh down to that part as it is motorway all the way down. Lovely part of the world I must say!

Hi Spoons, That is not bad running for 100 miles a month training ! The thought of an Ironman brings tears to my eyes...

Hi Ali, You will be fine. I think you are running pretty positively and seem to know what is right for yourself at the moment. I suppose a HM this time of the year after the marathon is a bit of a bonus....so enjoy!

• G- omg that sounds horrendous!  I can't even imagine doing a marathon after a night on the tiles...crazy!!! Yes I am aware 2/3 of a bottle of wine before a HM is not recommended but I never felt better before that particular race... shan't be trying it again just incase that one time was a fluke. I heard that Paula likes red wine, but I bet her idea of indulgence is one large glass a week...I won't shame myself with how I compare!

• I can see that this cycling malarky is going to be equally as frustrating as running. This morning, I felt rubbish coming in to work and the weather conditions where horrible so I took it nice and steady. On my way home I felt pretty good and the weather was quite favourable so I gave it plenty of beans. Yet when I check my stats I was only marginally quicker this afternoon than this morning image I also see that those bloomin santa emoticons are not an option on my home laptop yet they are at work.

Ali - I have one word for you, Magners image

• But Carter is the word a word of advice, or a word of warning?  In your experience, how many bottles of Magners before a race is too many?  Or is there no limit.

• Most definitely advice Ali, I would never warn anyone away from Magners. I would say 3 bottles is fine if accompanied by a kebab (large of course) or 5 bottles if you arent eating anything as healthy as a kebab....

• Sage advice, will report back and let you know how things went.

• Morning all. A lovely run in to work this morning; 7 miles @ 8:29. Not bad at all after yesterdays efforts on the bike. And dare I say it but it was my first niggle free run in months, fingers crossed and all that...

• Carter - I've entered The Anglian in North Norfolk. Robin Hood was tough as I hadn't done the training. You just can't cheat a marathon like you can with shorter distances. I managed a sub 4 but only just....

Sorry to hear the ITB is still playing up. Good luck with the cycling. Take up swimming too and enter a triathlon?

Well done everyone getting lots of PBs.

AliBali - you'll be fine. You won't have lost the endurance. 30 miles a week is fine for a half. How was the 11 mile run?

Drinking the night before a race..... Well I did a New Years Day 10km one year (can't remember the time). I had to lean against a fence half way round for 5 minutes......

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Nice run there Carter.  Fingers crossed your niggles have cleared up.

I didn't manage to get to the track session yesterday as I had to work a bit late last night, which was kind of expected.  However, I got a 6-miler in at about 8min/mile pace (8:14, 7:50, 7:39, 7:37, 7:44, 8:02) and felt good, so I was pleased with that really.  It didn't seem as cold last night either, which was a bonus.

It's a rest day today (I've ran 4 days in a row, which I don't usually do).  Then it's a club interval or hill session tomorrow, 6 on Thursday, parkrun on Saturday and 10ish easy on either Friday or Sunday.  If I do that, it'll be 32ish again so that's not too bad.

Are we continuing our list of races into next year?  This morning I've entered another half marathon for next year, but it's not until next September.  It's a new race, but it looks flat apart from some of it is in airfield which I guess could be windy.  I'm contemplating a 10K race called "First Chance" which is on 5th January, but I'm not sure how that would go following Xmas/New Year festivities!

My race plan so far has a distinct lack of any marathons in it, although I am considering entering North Dorset Village marathon in May which is my PB course from this year.  So far I have entered the below:

16 February - Exeter Half Marathon

2 March - Bideford Half Marathon (This is an A race for me)

23 March - Exeter "wrap up and run" 10K

29 June - Torbay Half Marathon (This is an A race for me)

28 September - Barnstaple Half Marathon

• Spoons- the 11 mile run was fine, did at 9.30 pace over all and felt good, that is over a minute slower than my HM pace but I am quite used to benig able to pull out a much faster pace in races- don't know if anyone else is like this but I do struggle to run anywhere near race pace when training?  But somehow on the day pull it out the bag.

My mum always does a New Year's Day race, and a Boxing Day Race actually, she is a glutton for punishment.  I could only face it if I really laid off the celebrations the night before.

G- good on you, lots of races entered so far.  I have only entered the Edinburgh Marathon for next year so far but must have a sit down soon and look at possible races to do.  I really fancy knocking some off my 10k time- I have only actually done 3 10ks since I really got into running (had done a couple before as a teenager when) and so have plenty of scope to improve at them.

• I havent entered any races yet and dont intend to do so until nearer the time. Once the old knee is sorted and I feel confident I can race then I will enter. At this stage though, I am looking at entering Manchester for my spring marathon in April. I intend to run plenty of fell races over the winter, these are generally shortish races of between 5-8 miles, plenty of elevation, harsh weather and underfoot conditions. Cant wait ! There are a few longer trail and fell races I've got my eye on such as Edale skyline, Stanage Stumble, Nine Edges and Grindleford Gallop. Again, these will depend on how the knee is at time. 

• So, here we go. Feel free to add your upcoming races and those nearly a year away !!!

16 February - Exeter Half Marathon - Big_G

2 March - Bideford Half Marathon - Big_G

23 March - Exeter "wrap up and run" 10K - Big_G

25 May - Edinburgh marathon - Ali

29 June - Torbay Half Marathon - Big_G

28 September - Barnstaple Half Marathon - Big_G

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali - I have been invited to a 3-legged race on Boxing Day image  I am tempted, but I'm not 100% sure on what our plans are over Xmas yet.  From what I can see, it's basically a race (in the loosest sense of the word) which invovles people dressing up and getting drunk....

I think I am learning that my favourite distances are the Half or 10K.  5K's are too painful, and marathons are too muich like hard work!  Basically, for me the Halfs and 10Ks are the lazy option as they fall somewhere in between image  I'm only joking, but genuinely I do think I prefer 10ks and Halfs.  I don't tend to get that "never again!" feeling on Halfs, which I do on marathons.

• Big_G - I was going to ask you why you had cited the half marathons as your A races for next year. More trail half marathons maybe ?

• Big_G - rather than a 3-legged race, it sounds like ali may be better suited to a 'legless' race image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Take your eyes off this for a minute and there is loads of posts to catch up on. Must read back when I get more than a few minutes to have a peak.

Did I notice Spoons back on here. Great to hear from you. 

Ali - you will be fine with your HM. You have loads in the bank. just get out there and enjoy it.

Great to see the list of races back up. Will have a good think about this in the next few days and get my races for the early part of the year lined up.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - those two races I marked as A-races are because 1) Bideford is a great course and ripe for a PB and 2) Torbay is my local race and I like trying to chip away at my course record there.

Regarding trail races, I think I will do some.  I am waiting for the Club Championship races to be published, which will happen in December.  If it all ties together, I may have a crack at that which will mean doing some trail races in order to complete the championship.

• G a three legged race on Boxing Day sounds like a recipe for disaster and falling about!

I think my favourite distance is definitely half marathon as it's slow enough to 'enjoy' but fast enough to still feel like a real race, I very much compete with other people around my speed when I do them...I love marathons but they are more a test of endurance than a 'race' to me in a way, I don't find myself running against other people but purely against myself... However recently I have really enjoyed getting into the 5k, I have only done the 3 parkruns but would love to keep getting my time down and aim for well under 23 minutes soon given my 23:02 the other week!

However I must say 5k does HURT.  By the time you get to the end you feel like you can't run another step.

• Oh and just back from my tempo run as recommended by Carter.

One mile warm up 9:40, 3 miles at 8:08, 7:50, 8:35, mile cool down 9:51.

Hard run though- ran up and along the beach, and the third 'fast' mile was so slow because I was running into a very bitter headwind when I turned around at the end of the promenade. 

Enjoyed it though.