RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Those dodgy dealings are starting to pay off Carl? image are you running a gold bond place.

Wind thankfully didn't pick up too badly until the last few miles.  my long run today had to become close to a LT run in the end as I was running out of time to be home by the time I had promised my wife. So although the first mlies were at a good steady pace, the last 4-5 were much quicker than I would have liked. Didn't feel too bad mind and I'll be resting tomorrow and quite possibly Xmas day also.

the splits today were: 9.41: 10.08: 10.16: 9.34: 9.27: 9:47: 9.05: 8.45: 8.10: 7.49: 7.44: 8.05

so was the wife right to insist on me being home by a certain point?? Of course she was... She is always right!

• Ali - nothing like a good hard run to sort your head out!

Carl- woop woop on London! Please tell us more?!

Carter good run there - and noooo I won't be doing Glencoe... although I do have a mountain marathon pencilled in for June!

Nell - I know what you mean on the treadmill - its just so boring which to me makes it feel much tougher than a proper outdoor run. The I-player does help though.

Ran the 10.5 ml "hills of Hell" route on Sunday morning with 7 others from the Sunday morning crew (was a hit last week so they wanted to do it again!). Very cold - 2 layers + running jacket ... a few us almost came a cropper on black ice too! Tough run - struggled on last 2 miles - avg pace 8.24 for the run.

Christmas Cracker team trail run on Saturday which should be fun image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    We were in Birmingham and came back to Devon on the train yesterday. I was worried about getting back but we were lucky and arrived ok. There were speed restrictions on the line so there were some delays but that was fine. Some people were getting really angry with the train staff about the delays, as if they could do anything about the weather. I know it's stressful making train connections etc, but what could the staff do? The train companies had already said that tickets would be valid on any train so I'm not sure what else they could do in the circumstances.

My club had organised a 'Mince Pie Marathon' yesterday which is a 5ish mile run, going between 5 or 6 clubmate's houses for mince pies and port etc. Unfortunately it was canceled due to the weather which was the right decision, but I feel sorry for the hosts who probably got food and drink in for the event.

I got a 6-miler in along the seafront yesterday (I checked the tide before I went and it was out, so safe from that perspective). It was windy/rainy but I found it exhilarating!! I didn't look at my watch at all, but it was nice being out running for the first time in 3 days.

In case I don't get back to the forums soon, Merry Christmas to everyone!
  • Got up this morning and could hear the wind, mind you heard it through the night!

Decision, 5 miles in the howling wind or go down to the gym and run on the treadmill. the wind won!

Wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be although near took my head off in places :0) Glad I chose to go outside though, felt better for it. Funny as that was one of the most satisfying runs for a while....odd as not particularly super fast as the wind was bashing me around, (finished in 37:50 mins) but it did feel quite an experience running uphill against the wind.... I suppose to coin a phrase from Big_G it was quite exhilirating!

Happy Christmas folks!

• Good running boys. Mrs C is at work this evening so I will go out for a trot later. It's blowing a gale here as well. 

Have a good Christmas everyone, see you on the other side

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Have been having a mad week but when do I not these days.

The weather has been wild so for those who have done some running well done.

London .... yes .....

I was not convinced about Milton Keynes so was looking around ....

By chance I came across a small childrens charity who were looking for runners for London and they were prepared to negotiate on the guaranteed minimum level of sponsorship. So I thought .. opportunity... London is my home marathon ... It is not the usual level for a gold bond place, which are tough at these times , so why not.

Training starts proper next week. This is serious now.

Anyone else doing a parkrun tomorrow.... I have got a pass .... Amazing ... I have never run on Christmas Day before .....

Happy Christmas everyone. Enjoy ...... image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Good morning and Happy Christmas everyone.

And what a nice day it is here. Hard to imagine that not far away some people are flooded and without power ....

I was awoken early this morning to a whirlwind of energy rushing through the house and rushing back pstairs to tell us that Sant had come and there were presents. Dragging myslef out of bed, I settled down i a chair to watch the presents be opened in a mad feeding like frenzy ....

Then I realised that there was only 15 minutes to get dressed, out the door and cover the 3/4 mile to teh start of the parkrun... I am lucky being close ...

Left the house with 4 mins to the off. Normally it starts a few minutes after 9 but today with less runners I knew I was pushing it. Got to the start area as the introduction talk was finishing and the runners were all heading for the start line so I tagged onto the back  ....

I have never run on Christmas Day before and it was great to get out. Cold but the sun was coming out ... image

I reckon there were 70 + runners in total so not a bad turnout.

I gave it a good go. It was tough. I spent a large part of the race passing people out, particularly on the hills. It was very slippy underfoot in the wooded sections and I nearly lost it on one corner when I had no grip whatsoever.

A strong finish got me over the line in 23:19. I reckon I finished in the top half of the field.

9 parkruns for me this year so far.

Now back to work. Need to start preparing the dinner as I do the cooking on Christmas Day in our house. I think I am now entitled to indulge ever so slightly .... image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Merry Xmas all.  I just got a cheeky 6-miler in so I an eat more mince pies later image

/members/images/465898/Gallery/IMG_0213_0.jpg

• Good stuff Carl & Big_G getting out today. I did my 11 miles last night while Mrs C was at work. Went up into the peaks with my head torch and it was blowing a right old gale and was icey under foot right at the top. 

I too am cooking dinner today. The duck is just about done and the pork is well on the way so I should hit my 2:00 target ! The bottle of Rioja is calling me so I'd better get there. Have a good 'un everyone

• Merry Christmas all! Hope you have all survived the constant barrage of food & drink!

Off out in the morning to run off some today's indulgences....

• Merry Christmas everyone!  Hope you had a lovely day.

Well done to those who went running!

I did a Xmas parkrun with my mum, conditions were terrible (very windy) and I had drunk a tad much wine the night before with my friends, but I still managed round in 23:38 which I thought was respectable given the circumstances image

I had got in a run on Monday night too followed by a short gym workout, then Tuesday and today off (working sadly) but I am a day off tomorrow and will go running again.

I got a garmin for Xmas, anyone else get any exciting running gifts?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    No running yesterday but we got our usual long Boxing Day walk in, between pubs image We walked just under 10-miles and I won't tell you how many drinks I hadimage

My club have a planned run at 10:30 this morning (10 miles), which I'm going along to. Then, it's a trot around a parkrun on Saturday and a possible 10K race on Sunday, which could be 'interesting'.

It's blowing a gale down here in Devon too.
  • Morning all. I have eaten and drunk far too much and feel rubbish today. I think a day off the juice is in order and some sort of run. Tis rather windy up here too

• 8 muddy xc miles done. It hurt a lot........

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Well done Carter.  I'm just back from the club run and it wasn't too bad, although I took it nice and steady as anything too strenuous would have hurt image  The couple who organised it also put on some great food for after the run.  A nice coffee, shepherd's pie and apple cake went down very well indeed!

• Sounds good Big_G, a good day so far considering the cricket too.

A nice hot shower has made me feel much better. Mrs C and I are off for a wander around Buxton now, mince pie and coffee is the order of the day. No beers for me today, possibly image

• Hi Carl,Ali, Big_G -  I can only admire your dedication on getting out for a run on Christmas day. I am afraid I was a lazy devil for Christmas and Boxing Day. No drink as I was on-call but plenty of food. I went out for 5 miles this morning about 7:45 and I got the payback for not going out yesterday. My wife took my son out for a short run yesterday and it was lovely. This morning it was pouring with rain and blowing a gale...luckily I had my Christmas pressie of a Ronhil Windproof top on image still looked like a drowned rat when I got home. It was a hard one. Not sure whether it was the food or the wind...probably both! 

Working today but that is me on holiday from today until Mon 6th Jan....the bottles of Innis & Gunn have been transferred to the fridge!

went to see Edinburgh v Glasgow at Murrayfield yesterday which was a good game and we are off to Easter Road on Sunday, hoping Mr Butcher can get those lazy sods into gear!

Pop down the road and get one of those Bakewell puddings Carter they are scrummy......I got told off once in Bakewell for calling them Bakewell Tarts.

• i thought id join this forum as im planning on VLM 2014, and my target is 3:59:59.  That, and im a huge Carter USM fan (the band not the forum member!!!)

Anyway, i think its going to be v tough for me as ive only done one marathon (last year 4:45, so its asking a lot, but i did manage a 1:54 HM so i think its possible.

Ive done a lot of running since last Aprils debut (about 25-30 miles a week since May).  So im going into this years plan with 2700KMs in last 16 months whereas last year i started a plan on 1/1 with 500Kms in previous 4 months.  It will be interesting to see the difference.

• PinnerAd- welcome to the forum.  Good luck on your mission.  I think if you can achieve a 1:50 HM then a 4 hour marathon is definitely possible.

Nell- sounds like you've had a good Xmas.  A few days off running did no one any harm!

Carter- I've definitely overdone it on the food and drink too and though I had another short run tonight 8 miles sounds like a marathon to me at this point in time.  Well done!

G- your club run sounds fun but again, 10 miles is very admirable!

I did 25 mins tonight just slow and steady, really to work off some of the excess of the last couple of days.  I was working yesterday which was exhausting (WHY do people go shopping on Boxing Day?!) but today was nice and relaxing with lots of laying about, eating, and then my little run later on.

Hoping everyone else is having a nice time especially if you're off work.

• PinnerAd- welcome to the forum.  Good luck on your mission.  I think if you can achieve a 1:50 HM then a 4 hour marathon is definitely possible.

Nell- sounds like you've had a good Xmas.  A few days off running did no one any harm!

Carter- I've definitely overdone it on the food and drink too and though I had another short run tonight 8 miles sounds like a marathon to me at this point in time.  Well done!

G- your club run sounds fun but again, 10 miles is very admirable!

I did 25 mins tonight just slow and steady, really to work off some of the excess of the last couple of days.  I was working yesterday which was exhausting (WHY do people go shopping on Boxing Day?!) but today was nice and relaxing with lots of laying about, eating, and then my little run later on.

Hoping everyone else is having a nice time especially if you're off work.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - you are double posting again. The gremlins are still in your computer !! image Any run at the moment is a good run. The weather is crap. We are all eating too much (well I am anyway) and we are probably sleep deprived (too much celebrating). AS you are oing Edinburgh you have a few more weeks to get stuck back into serious training.

PinnerAd - welcome to one of the friendly threads on the forum. Hopefullly we can give you some advice along the way that helps you get under the magical 4 hours. Looks like you have a much better base going into it this year than last so that will set you up well. We will need to disect your training plan of course but plenty of time for that ....  How much speed work do you do in your training each week ? it is all about mixing up the training as running more miles on their own does not get any of us where we want to get to ....

That reminds me. I need to do my review of this past year and my goals for next year. Will reflect and do it over the weekend.

Carter - great 8 miles from you. XC too. Would be tough whatever teh weather but with this sind it cannot have been too pleasant. No doubt all those Magners over the last few days were catching up with you. Did you just manage the mince pie and coffee then in Buxton or were you tempted .... just one more ....

The good news is that you are getting those miles in and the knee seems to be holding up well.

Big G - great mileage yesterday. 10 miles at walking pace. image Your club session sounded fun. I think the running clubs near me take themselves too seriously. Another race for you on Sunday. You are getting them in ... Keep up the good work. You have finished this year very strong and are in great shape to tackle your race series this coming year.

Nell - that sounds like awful conditions for a run. The weather is so unpredicatable at the moment but fair dues for getting out (at an unearthly hour I must add) in it and getting a decent session in - even if it felt tough.

Ricky - thought you ahd dropped off the edge of a cliff. Good to have you back. What are your plans for next year ? You are not running the big one in the spring if I remember rightly. Must do a race list for 2014 over the coming days.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So I did get my own trot in today as well. Had sort of kidded myself last night and said I would get up early and go before the family woke. Fat chance. The bed was too inviting with it blowing hard outside.

Eventually got out mid afternoon. Cold and windy but not the gale from earlier.

Ended up running a 7 mile tempo type run followed by a 3 mile cool down. Still debating which was the tougher of the two sessions.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Regents_271213.jpg

Pretty much my usual tough start with the killer hill during mile 2. My legs were heavy today and I was labouring a bit more than normal. Must have been the mince pies.

My splits were :

7:55; 8:46; 7:34; 7:46; 7:34; 7:28 and 7:25

7 miles with average 7:47 min/mile.

It was tough to keep this going for the last 2 miles but it felt good afterwards.

3 miles cooldown in : 8:16; 8:24 and 8:17 so 8:19 min/mile average.

I am planning to do the parkrun in the morning as this will be 10 parkruns for me in 2013. After todays session, I think I will just be jogging it as anything more will be torture.

Going to finalise my training plan for the marathon over the weekend. 15 weeks to go. Just got to stay injury free for this one and it would become the first marathon I have run without carrying an injury into it. image

• Carl - excellent tempo run at this time of the year. Most runs for everyone else are just plodding miles, well mine are anyway. I assume you aren't working at the moment if you are getting chance to stay in bed in the morning ? I know you've been very busy at work the last few weeks or so, is it going to get any better for you in the new year so you can get some good training in in the new year ? We got a coffee in Buxton but the service was terrible so we ended up taking it out as the car parking had nearly expired. So, I consoled myself with a few Magners tonight whilst watching the cricket as I'm not running tomorrow. I'm meeting up with a chap from work on Sunday for a 16 mile recce of part of the Grindleford Gallop route so I need to keep of the juice tomorrow night !

Ali - people shop on Boxing Day because shops are open !! At least you got a bit of a run in tonight, better than nothing. How is the new year looking for you with regards work/running balance ?

Pinner - may I ask what is wrong with forum member CarterUSM ??? Welcome to our little thread and hope you are a regular contributor. 

I think that finally Mrs C has accepted my running. Firstly, she gave me a few running items for Christmas pressies. Secondly, I told her that Ive changed my long run from Saturday to Sunday this weekend (when I first started running I told her it wouldn't impact too much on family life and as she works Saturday mornings I have previously done my long runs then ). She was absolutely fine with this change of plan. Wait til I tell her of my intention to run an ultra at some stage image I wish it was next year already as I don't want to eat and drink anymore, I feel rubbish

• Nell - we visit Bakewell quite often but I'm not a big fan of their 'tarts'. Enjoy your time off work

• Hi, i have just found this thread. I have signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon (my first). Looking to finish below 4 hours, currently running about 45 miles a week.

I have previously only run two 10K's (Bristol) and one Half (Swindon), so this will be an exciting challange. Unfortunaly the nature of my job means that i can't run as many races as i would like as i tend to be away for a lot of them.

Half of my training is treadmill based as i spend one month at a time off shore. Any tips for long slow runs would be appriciated as i find myself always running too fast. In fact any tips at all for this marathon newbie would be great.

Thanks

Stu

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Pinner and Stu - you've found a good thread image

I watched some of the cricket until about 1am and then was up at 6am to watch some more..I shouldn't have bothered image

I got my parkrun done and I tried to keep it at target 10K pace, which I managed, although the first half a mile was slow as I made my way through the crowd but I felt good at the end. I started right at the back as I arrived 'promptly' (ie, just as the start happened...) but I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting that many people to be there but I reckon there must have been 150ish which is a good turnout for the event.

I'm hoping to do this 10K race tomorrow, and I'm staying off the booze today as a form of preparation image
  • Hi PinnerAd, Welcome to the forum. With your HM time you sound like you are on track and already getting the base miles in. Look forward to hearing how you get on. It is a friendly bunch ;0)

Hi Ali, A couple of runs and you will be back to normal, indulgence is unavoidable this time of year!

Hi Carl, Good run there and good splits. I find it always harder running in the afternoon as to the morning.

Hi Carter, Nice to see the miles still clocking up for you. I take it the knee has been ok? Are you stretching etc, again or is it the Magners lubrication that is doing the trick??

Hi Stuart, welcome aboard, myself and Ali are running Edinburgh. Where are you based ?

• No running for me today, popped down to the gym for some S&C early doors before everyone got up. We are off for a walk around Flotterstone reservoir which has cheered the kids up no end image

Thanks for the reminder also Carl, I must start looking at knocking up a training plan for Edinburgh. Although I will not start the schedule until early Feb, it will be best to get it done before things creep up on me image

• Hi All, thanks for the welcome, I am based near Bristol, so i am lucky in that have some nice countryside for those LSR.

Nell, have you run the Edinburgh marathon before? What trainnig plan are you going to use?

• Hi Stuart, I ran Edinburgh last May and it was a great day, perfect conditions. The support is really great the route takes you through East Lothian coast and the villages all come out and give you a cheer.

I will use one of the runners world training plans as a base and tinker with it. I like to use some of the ideas from the P&D training plans where they have you running a long run at say 12 miles with 8 miles at marathon pace. I also build in at least one hill rep session per week for strengthening. I have the Braid Hills next to me ;0)

That's a long drive Stuart what made you pick Edinburgh?