RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Hi all, Carter, i am working out at sea on an deep water drillship. I'm lucky in that the weather is quiter calm here and so there is not to much motion. 

Ali, i'm off of the west coast of Africa, so the sea is calm and the its nice and sunny.  The downside being the grind of a LSR on a treadmill.

Carl, i am doing the Edinburgh Marathon in May.

• HI Ali, Yes I ran the GR last year but just haven't fancied it this year...bit lazy ;0)

Hi Big_G, I was thinking of York and had the pin code etc for the pre-sale this morning and headed out with the kids to the swimming pool and cleanly forgot. I saw the email this afternoon but it was too late and the pre-sale had sold out. The rest go on sale on Monday morning at 9 ...

Hi Carl, Good running again and from everyone all round I think. Everyone seems to have got through the Christmas period without losing too many miles.

Hi Carter, I start my Marathon training at the beginning of Feb. I am just drawing up the schedule and trying to pen in some 10K's and HM's...

Hi Stuart, I suppose when you have no option the treadmill has to do, I think I would go insane image but then when you have no choice....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

It was wild out there tonight (probably just a light wind compared to those down west and up north) but decided to venture out.

Tempo run tonight.

2 miles w/u (8:43 and 8:24 pace).

Then 3 miles where I was aiming to be circa 7:30 being the first tempo run of the season.

First mile at 7:32.

Garmin went a bit mad during the second mile and seemed to hang for a while before I noticed it telling me I was running at 27:45 pace when I was pumping the arms and legs. Got it working again and from looking at my stats after uploading it, I was easily doing 7:30, maybe a bit faster.

Mile 3 at 7:22 pace.

Garmin died on me. I had forgotton to put it on charge all week !!!

2 miles coold down at circa 9:00 pace.

Overall 7 miles tonight.

This was easily the hardest run this week. Maybe it was the wind / cold. Maybe it was the timing. Maybe it was just the end of a sluggish week.

One more run to complete the first week of training. Going to try and do this early on Sunday as it will only be 12 miles. We will see. Last year I used enjoy the tempo runs. Not tonight.

Will put up the 2014 race list in the morning.

• Another night on the treadmill for me, managed 7 miles without gettingh too bored. Not sure how im going to cope with some of the longer runs though.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Stuart, well done for getting those miles done on the treddie. what kind of sessions do you run - intervals, hills, constant speed ?

I guess the challenge for you other than getting bored is trying to geta different mix of sessions in as you would if you were running on road.

It is a truly miserable day here today. Must be a lot worse for you Big G and Ali / Nell.

Son's footie was cancelled today as everything is waterlogged and thee is water flowing down the streets.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Carl - yes it has been pretty grim down here although the wind seems to have died down. There is a lot of water flowing though. I'm still waiting to see if my 10K will be held tomorrow but I'm expecting it will be canceled. If it is, I'll get a longer, slow run in instead.

I did get a parkrun done this morning and the event's Facebook page said to expect mud. It was the worse conditions I've ran in, but it was strangely enjoyable and everyone seemed to be having a good time which is the main thing. I slipped and slid around in 24:08 and I'm glad I went. We bought my wife some trail shoes in the week and it was her first time trying them and she enjoyed it too image I did see a couple of people fall in the mud, but they were fine although a bit embarrassed.
  • Hi carl, The weather on the East coast is not as bad as the West. It was windy yesterday but the wind has dropped, bit damp this morning.

Funny I cannot remember a game being called off when I was a kid, we played in all weathers and conditions...

Well done on the run this morning Big_G and staying upright :0)

Hi Stuart, Hopefully you will be able to get some road running in on your training schedule. There is actually a piece in RW this month that mentions treadmills and training.

I went down to the gym early this morning and got in some S&C work. I know I haven't done enough over the festive period and thought I would resist the urge to just go out and run, I will go out tomorrow and it will no doubt be pouring with wind and howling with wind knowing my luck.

Got back early to release my wife who went out for a run, she is getting back into things, but finding it tough as she didn't really do much running last year.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So the 2014 Race List so far:

5th Jan - First Chance 10k - Big G

12th Jan - 11 miles ? - Big G

26th Jan - 10 mile road race ? - Big G

8th March - Grindleford Gallop 21 miles - Carter

6th  April - Manchester marathon - Carter

13th April - London marathon - Carl, PinnerAd

25th May - Edinburgh marathon - Ali, Nell, Stuart G

25th May - Bupa 10k London - Carl

8th July - Lake Coniston trail marathon - Carter

28th September - Berlin marathon - Ricky

Big G, you mentioned races in February and March associated with you club championship so once you have firmed up your plans, we can add them in.

I have a few other races to add when I book them. I am thinking of adding 2 HM's to my training schedule for London, entering a 10k series through the summer, running the 10 miler when on holidays in August and have not yet found the Autumn HM to chase the PB on. I might do a second marathon this year but will wait until after London to book it.

Andrew - you mentioned doing a few marathons this year so let us know the details whenyou have them booked and I will add them on.

• Thanks for doing the race list Carl!

Stuart I am trying to think the longest I've ever done on a treadmill.  Probably about 6 miles!  Can't imagine spending much more than an hour on there but I know there are people who run marathon type distances on them... no way for me!

Well I have now done 4 runs so far this week though all pretty short.  Aim to get out tomorrow night after work too.  However today I did my running at the gym.  I actually did 3 separate sessions of 10 minutes, of interval training, and in between the sessions I was doing upper body weights.  Just fancied mixing it up and got a really good workout.  Plus fitting in half an hour of running didn't feel like half an hour at all when it was 3 short fast sessions.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Thanks for the list Carl.  I'll give you a list of mine too.  Do you want them all though, or just the "main" ones?

Stuart - hats off to you to keeping it going on the treadmill.  Do you mix it up a bit to try and keep things interesting?

Ali - well done for getting the runs in.  I skipped a planned session yesterday as I just felt too tired.  I felt it better to have a day off and try and recover a bit rather than push it.

I have my 10K tomorrow but I was really thinking that it would be called off - a race sponsor posted this picture from 11am this morning (Saturday) of part of the route!

/members/images/465898/Gallery/Waterlogged.jpg

However, the race is going ahead although it's been put back 1 hour to avoid the worst of the high tide (it's an 11:30am start now).  Also, there is a chance the route may be changed if we get a downpour tonight, and if it is changed it will be "approximately" 10K.  Not ideal, but I'll give it a go anyway image 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - think you might need flippers and a snorkel not trainers  image Best of luck with this one.

Happy to include all the races or just the main ones. Up to you.

Been working on my training plan today. Speadsheet heaven at the moment image

• Good Morning all, loks like its been an intersting couple of days for running, hope the weather has improved although loking at Big G's picture, i think it might be a bit wer still.

I tend to try and mix up my treadmill runs, when i was training for the Swindon Half i foillowed the RW training plan. Because it mixed things up with hill runs, tempo runing etc, it waasn't too bad. The worst part was a 13 mile run on the treadmill,  Nothing beats runnig on the road though. I am lucky that one of the national cycle route pases near to me so i can do a lot of running away from heavy traffic. My LSR takes me from my home and onto the tow path on the Avon, through the gorge and under the Suspention bridge, somne mornings its feels like your the only person in the world.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Stuart - 13 miles on a treadmill. You are amazing. I can never do much more than about 6 miles and even then it is a struggle. But understand that with your job you have no choice so well done you for being so dedicated.

Well I got out this morning before anyone got up and headed for my 12 miles at a comfortable pace as this is what my training schedule (that I am still building) told me to do. Comfoirtable pace is 8:10 to 9:10 m/m.

I managed the 12.16 miles in 1:44:46 which is an 8:37 m/m average.

So my first week's training for London is done and I covered 35 miles in all.

This is what this week looked like :

Monday                REST

Tuesday               7.5 MILES INTERVALS; 2.5 w/u, 4x800m @ 6:16 / 6:05 / 6:05 / 6:10 m/m, 2.75 c/d

Wednesday         REST

Thursday             8.34 MILES COMFORTABLE @ 8:44 min/mile average

Friday                  7 MILES FAST, 2 w/u, 7:32; 7:30; 7:22, 2 c/d

Saturday              REST

Sunday                12.16 MILES COMFORTABLE @ 8:37 min/mile average

Typically I plan to run 4 - 5 times per week. Anything more would be too much. I have most of the schedule worked out but just trying to fit some races into it and juggling it about a bit. Takes longer than you think.

Next week will be similar to this week. Will be doing 400m intervals instead of 800m. Increasing the long run by 2 miles and introducing a few MP miles

• You're into the groove nicely with your London training Carlimage

Just back from a similar run - 11.2 miles @ 8.40 pace. Blowing a gale & raining sideways the whole time so was a tough enough, teeth gritting run.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  My 10K race went ahead today, but it was a shorter course due to the floods and my Garmin showed exactly 6 miles.  The ground was fine with no mud or really large puddles, but it was obviously very wet.  However, there were some really strong headwinds for a lot of the course and it was raining quite hard.  I don't overly mind the rain, but the wind was tough.  The profile of the course is as flat as you can get though, so that is one positive image

Anyway, after last week's 10K which I averaged 7:04 min/mile I had hoped to go off at 7 min/mile pace today, but the first bit of the race was into a headwind so I couldn't do that and just ran to feel.  My mile splits were 7:11, 7:12, 7:09, 7:26, 7:03 and 6:52, which is an average of 7:09, and a time (according to my Garmin so not official yet) of 42:54.  It does mean that even if the course had been a full 10K I wouldn't have PB'd, but I'd say that is to be expected for the conditions so I'm quite pleased really.

Running as part of the club championship added another dimension to the race for me as well, and if I stay injury free and can complete it I think I'm going to enjoy it.  I overtook 4 club mates and had a 5th in my sights but couldn't catch him, and no one from my club overtook me today.  It's all friendly competition but I think I'm going to enjoy that part of it.  The next race is next weekend which is an 11 mile (approx) off road which I will struggle with in comparison to today, but I'll just do my best image   I don't expect to come anywhere in the championship at the end of the year, but it means I'm going to do some different races which is what I'm looking forward to.

--

Ricky, well done on getting out there today, and Carl well done on a successful first week of London training!  It's getting exciting now isn't it, with the build up to the Spring races image

• Hi Stuart, I think I am with Carl on the treadmill, hats off to you...think I would go crazy doing those distances on a treadmill. Good dedication!

Hi Carl, Good week of running there.

Hi Big_G, well done on the soggy run ;0) Sounds like you are to be busy!

Hi Ricky, Good to see you are getting back into things.

Hi Ali, Interesting session at the gym. I like it when it is quiet and you can mix things up. If the gym is busy I don't like hogging things. I like mixing my leg exercises with upper body.

I think I got out this morning before the wind that Ricky had headed over to us.... Ran 10 miles, 75 mins. I must admit after the third mile I was not feeling great and  felt the leg exercises from the day before, but then I seemed to gain back my mojo and felt nice and strong again. Quite enjoyed the run in the end. Pace kind of flitted around as the route has flat, uphill and downhill parts, so was averaging some 7:15, 7:30 and 7:45's, felt good though didn't go full out silly but just tried to keep a constant .

I will update my intended runs, just working on the schedule and seeing what ones will fit....

• Good running, gym sessions and treadmill runs done over the weekend. Spring marathon training can now start for real. 

This week has been a bit of a cut back week for me and until today I had only been out twice. I opted for a long run this afternoon, however, as next Saturday when my next long run is due, I am on a moorland navigation course for the day so I'm having to change all my runs around for the next few days. So, 20 miles done in 9:40. The first 15 felt ok with intermittent 'knee aches' but the last 5 were hard going as they were in to a strong breeze. It didn't stop raining during the run either. That's the first 20 miler of the plan completed

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Well done Ricky and Big G for getting a run in in those conditions. Good session ALi in the gym.

Nell - another good run from you. Funny how sometimes we start a run, feel crap and then finish it feeling great.

Carter - well done on another good session. Really impressed with your progress. It is always a struggle to balance the marathon training with other needs. Running 4 / 5 times per week does not leave alot of room for flexibility. I am still tweaking my training schedule but have settled on 5 runs with a long one and a short one every weekend. I am going to have to juggle them depending on the times of football matches and othere kids activities but am going to try and get them in early.

Rest day for me tomorrow which is just as well as I am back to work and will probably not feel like running in any event.

• Hi Big_G, I will see you in York on Oct 12th. Got in to the marathon today.  That will fit in quite nicely as the kids break up for half term that weekend so we will stay over on the Sunday night also, making things a bit more relaxing. ;0)

• Good running Carter.

Hi carl, First day back for me today also, not running today but might pop into the gym later.. Yes it is strange how you can suddenly get back into a run. I think it was Adharanand Finn said that running is drinking in reverse, You can feel crap whilst running but great at the end as opposed to when you drink you feel great but then feel crap after.... it was something like that anyway ;0)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Well done on getting a place Nell.  It looks like you were lucky as I think they sold out in 10mins today....

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/yorkshire-marathon-sells-out-in-record-time/

• Hi all

Got in another run last night at the gym but just a short one as I wanted to do more strength work and did a really good workout with a lot of upper body weights and squats/lunges/leg press.  And a bit of cycling at the end to cool down.  Forgot how much I enjoy a good gym workout sometimes without focussing on running.  I think recently when I've been so tired sometimes it feels a drag to go out running but when I mix it up and do something different I feel a bit more invigorated.  And different fitness/strength work can't hurt can it.

Stuart- 13 miles on a tready is v impressive!  Amazed!

Carl- 35 miles very good in a week.  More than I've done in a long time.  But about to change!  Work suddenly much quieter (sigh of relief) so I have some more me time.

Ricky- good to know you're still out there doing your thing, haven't heard much from you lately!  The stormy weather has been horrid to run in hence my more frequent gym visits.

G- nice time even if for a 6 miler rather than 10k.

Carter- you are some demon with the long runs.  20 miles in this weather.  

Nell- that analogy about running and drinking made me laugh.  Shame I love both. image

• I thought it must have sold out quick Big_G, I had to drop the kids off at the commonwealth pool this morning for a club day there and I had a feeling the tickets would have all gone by the time I got back so I asked my wife to book me a place at 9 from work. She said she had to refresh the page a couple of times, as they must have been getting the site hammered! When I got back in I saw the confirmation email and then the noticed on the site they had sold out and that was at 9:30....that is pretty impressive. That is ideal for us as we get the train down from Edinburgh and it is a great 2:30 journey down the coast..... I think a fat rascal at Betty's will be in order after that run image

Hi Ali, with the wind at the moment you are better off in the gym, although the West seem to be getting it worse, I was over at my relatives in Motherwell yesterday and they were saying it had been terrible over there!

Might try and brave a run outside in the morning....

• Moring all, This week is back to the trainnig plan after a couple of weeks off with only light running last week, I manage an easy four miles last night and tonight i hope i can do some speed work running at my 10K pace. Again its all treadmill work, but two weeks more and i can join you all out on the roads and paths again. I well try and bring the weather back with me.

What do you all have planned and are you all following a 16 week plan?

• Nell – good news about getting in to York.

Ali – sounds like you’ve got a bit more time on your hands on the moment. When do you start your training for Edinburgh ?

Carl – thanks for your sending your training plan.

Stuart – I’m currently training for Manchester which is on 6 April but I actually started my training at the end of November which works out at 20 weeks. I had ITB issues last year so I thought I would add in an extra couple of weeks to try and build up the base miles before I started my plan.

A rest day for me yesterday, a good job really as my legs were quite tired from Sunday’s long run. I will go out at lunch time for a gentle 5 miles or so. My Garmin has started to play up so I think it’s time for a new one, I’m currently looking at the 610

• Hi Carter, i was loking at the 220, is there a big leap betwen the models or is it worth buying a higher spec older model? Especially as i have never done HRM training before and tend to just use the Endomodo app on my phone to log my runs and work out the pace.

• Stuart - I cant see a big difference between the 2 models. The two things that made me chose the 610 is that I like the look of it more than the 220 and that I have found a better deal for the 610. I tried a training plan (HADD) where you ran to a specific heart rate but I found that quite boring in as much as there was no speed work and you had to slow right down, or even walk, when going up hills to get your heart rate to the desired level. That said, monitoring your heart rate can show you how your training is progressing e.g. if you can do a LSR and your heart rate is 140 a few weeks later you should expect to see your heart rate come down a bit for the same type of run (other factors can determine your rate like the temperature, is there any wind making you work harder, are you tired, have you been over training recently, did you eat before your run to name a few). If you like analyzing your numbers then Garmin Connect is really good

• Thanks Carter, i am a bit geeky when it comes to the numbers, so it sounds like Garmin connect could be right up my street.

• Hi Carter, cheers. Yes Edinburgh and York are the places to be this year image

I have a garmin 110. I didn't choose it my wife got it for my birthday about 18 months ago. Does the job though pace, HM and a very loose elevation guide! I have cracked the screen once and you can send it to Garmin and they will replace it out of warranty. which saves buying a new one. I think they charged £50-60 Even though I work in IT I am not geeky in the slightest, so the 110 suits me fine :0)

Went out this morning and it was pretty wild, but I knew it would be as I heard it all night! Got in 5 miles around 38:30. Pretty tough for the last mile and a half as I was running right into the gale.....Character building is what they call it I think!

• Hi all

Carter- 2nd February is 16 weeks from Edinburgh so I'll likely start the proper training then.  I followed one of the RW plans for Loch Ness and it seemed to work not badly though I did deviate from it quite a lot.  But will probably stick to the same one, it's really simple and easy to follow and not daunting.

Stuart- what will you be doing in the way of training for Edinburgh?  A 16 week plan?  You said this was your first marathon right?

I went for a 3.5 mile run tonight, just over 30 mins, with my new Garmin on, I do love it!  I just got the simplest model the 10 I think it is but it is absolutely great for what I need as I really don't want too much detail just my pace and time and I love the 'virtual pacer' option too.  Then I stopped at the gym before going home and did all my upper body weights and some squats.  

I am planning a long run on Friday this week.  When I say long run I mean probably about 9 miles which is longer than I have done in a long time.  I actually feel a bit ashamed of my running the past month or so when I look at what you all have achieved but I just haven't had the time or energy to give it my all so the miles have been sadly lacking.