RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Good morning all, glad to see some great running going on, been busy now im home, so no chance to post. Been out with the Club a few times and did a nice 18 mile LSR last Sunday, Beats running it on a tradmill, even with the rain image

Goingto do my first every parkrun tomrrow, going to try and get between 20 and 22 mins as there is a steep hill in the middle. Who else is doing one tomorrow?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi Stuart - good luck with the parkrun; don't forget your barcode!  I love them, but I'm not doing one tomorrow as I've decided to go out for a steady 12-miler with my club instead.  It looks like there are going to be about 40-50 of us in 3 different groups.  The promise of free nosh at the house of a club mate afterwards has brought us out in drovesimage

• Stuart - I bet you're glad to be home, although the weather must be a shock to the system. I'm not a big fan of park run, it's far too early for me to be running at such a fast pace. good luck and have fun.

Carl - I must have missed previously which race you are running tomorrow ?

Big_G - hope the weather isn't too bad where you are at the moment.

Ali - another convert to off roading ??

I've had a couple of nice lunchtime runs this week. Wednesday I did a tempo run which was w/u mile @ MP, 2 @ 7:07 and a couple of c/d miles @ MP. Yesterday, I did 5 miles @ 20 seconds quicker than MP. I'm feeling pretty good at the moment but have a tough session tomorrow; 20 miles with 10 @ MP. This is not a session I have managed yet so a tad nervous about it.

Hope the weather holds out for everyone this weekend

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi Carter - good luck with that long run.  That is a tough session!

Weather down here is rough with wind, rain and lots of localised flooding.  The temperature seems to have dipped a bit as well, although no ice which is a bonus!  I haven't missed a session yet due to the weather though, so I'm doing well from that perspective.  Having said that, I'm not actually marathon training at the moment, so I'm not having to plough through 3hr+ runs or whatever.  I do have a 16-miler in the schedule planned for next week, so we'll see how that goes image

I do seem to have picked up a slight hip/groin issue.  I slipped a bit awkwardly on my run yesterday but at the time it felt fine and it was only a couple of hours later that I started to feel it.  On a scale of 1-10 it's 2 in terms of pain, so just a bit of discomfort really.  Fingers crossed it doesn't develop into anything else and it's a rest day today so I'll see what it's like tomorrow.

• It’s been a tough week this week for me, and although probably not the end of the training week for everyone just yet, it is the end of January. The wettest (they measured it, it’s official) and most miserable (we can mostly agree) January on record.

So well done everyone for getting this far. There’s been some impressive sessions this week.

My overall mileage is down this week on previous weeks, in line with the schedule, but with some more intensity – including a 10m midweek run on Weds, and 7m today (1m jog, 5m @HM pace 7.20, 1m jog)

The LSR run for Sunday is planned as 13m at HM pace. That’s gonna be a step stage in the programme to date.

Carl – I think we’re on similar training plans – I’ve been broadly following the Asics 26.2 one, but not having access to a track I struggle a bit with the structured interval sessions. I do what I can on the road with those, and put a bit more hill training in the mix for the anaerobic effect.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Stuart - great to hear that you have got loads of running in. Do not apologise for not having the time to post. It must be busy having been away for 4 weeks.

Isn't this weather just crap. I am really hacked off with it by now. Going out for long runs in the rain is no fun. Bring me the colder weather please.......

Big G - running to get some food. A little theme beginning to build here I think .....

Carter - good running from you this week. 10 miles at MP tomorrow. That will be a tough one. Be sensible if you need to be.

I am running a 20k race tomorrow at Eton Dorney. I think it might be 4 laps of the lake that they used for the rowing at the Olympics. Must check the details. If it is pissing it down I probably will not do it as there is no point in catching a death and missing weeks of training. All about being sensible. The forecast looks a little better though so should be ok hopefully.

I am debating my strategy for this. I may not go flat out from the start but go at MP for the first half and pick it up during the second half. Depends on hopw I feel.

I did 5 miles at the gym tonight. First 1.25 miles at 8:45m/m; second 1.25 miles at 7:20m/m; third 1.25 miles at 8:00m/m and final 1,25 miles at 8:45m/m.

Big G - hopefully it is only a slight strain.

Canter - you are right there. wet, miserable and horrible. Have you noticed that I am not a fan of this weather. Good running from you. Yes I have seen the training plan you mentioned and used that along with others to blend mine. Having access to a track is great and without it I would struggle to get the speed sessions done as it is harder to repeat these on the road.

• Hi all

well done to everyone getting out in this weather. Really good stuff especially all you guys who have managed longer runs!

carl- good luck today, let us know how it's gone!

I got out yesterday for a planned 5 miles but ended up being 4.5 miles and I did it as an out and back progressive run. There was a good article in an issue of RW recently on different progressive run ideas. Really good to give you some inspiration for interesting ways to do progressive runs.

I am just back from parkrun in Edinburgh and somehow ran a big new 5k PB. Got round in 22:30, it felt really really tough but I was totally determined to do a new PB given the last one I ran was 22:59 on my watch but 23:03 on the official results. That spurred me to know I could run under 23 mins but I never imagined a 30 second PB! Hope the official results say the same time when I get them but even if they are slightly behind it will definitely still be a big PB image

Hope everyone has a good Saturday. 

• Oh and Stuart how was your first parkrun?

• Canter - sounds like your training is going according to plan. Well done and keep going. 

Mali - great stuff, a nice way to start the new year off with a PB

Carl - good luck today. 

Thats my 20 miler done today including 10 @ MP. the exact figures are a bit skewed as I ran the Monsall Trail that has quite a few tunnels with it being a disused railway line. I kept losing the signal as they are quite long tunnels but I know I was hitting MP through them. During most of the run I felt fine but there was one occasion where I felt a bit rough but the gels soon kicked in and I was soon feeling fine again. Tried my breakfast, fuel and water strategy today and everything worked a treat so my confidence has been boosted.

• Hi Ali great running for a new PB, I really enjoyed the park run, it's uphill for the first half and then back down, did it in 21:57, really chuffed and quite tired. Will defo do one again.

Carter that's a great 20 miler, I'm off tomorrow for my LSR will try and do some at MP as we'll.

Carl, how was the race?

• Hi Guys, Good running from everyone it is testing with the weather at the moment. I imagine you guys down south are feeling it more especially Big_G!

Well done on the PB Ali. I must try and get down to the parkrun one Saturday. Clashes with the kids swimming unfortunately...

I ran Tuesday and played footie later that day, went to the gym Wed morning for some S&C and that has been me until this morning due to work. Went out for 4 miles averaging 7:30 min/miles. Wind was strong but it was sunny. Glad I went out this morning as it is miserable now! Plan to go out tomorrow after dropping my daughter off at a gymnastics competition in Musselburgh, so will take a run along the coast.

Hoping to be up for it, my son has 3 friends over for a sleepover tonight.....sleeping is usually not what they do!

• Edit: double post!

• Carter that's a great long run. 10 at MP is a tiring venture, how's the legs now?

stuart I'm glad you enjoyed your parkrun too, what part of the world was that in? Great time!

nell- Edinburgh was stunning this morning when we were at parkrun! I heard it was to get worse during the day but first thing in the morning it was sunny and bright and just a bit breezy.

got my official time for this morning of 22:34 so still a PB of 28 seconds for me image I am well chuffed and I think it's the first time I've got an age graded score of above 65% for any distance so it's officially in those terms the best race I've done. I find it interesting to keep an eye out for that too. Was 16th/162 ladies this morning.

going to the gym now though it's really more a social visit...

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

OMG - still thawing out. It was like running along the coast in the west of Ireland. If I had been the waves would have been crashing down on the beach. It was not just very windy it was blowing a gale !!!!!

Full report to follow .........

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - very impressive long run from you today. How are the knees feeling after a few hours rest ?

Ali - another PB for you. Excellent running. Really pleased for you. Nice that the weather behaved even if it was only to allow you to run.

Stuart - great first parkrun from you too. And a PB to go with it. Must be great to be running outdoors even if this weather is a bit mad.

Nell - best of luck with your sleepover ......

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So my race was not until 1.30pm. I picked it as it was close to being a HM and it was on a Saturday as the OH is never pleased when I dissapear on a Sunday.

Dropped my little fella at footie - even the astro turf pitch that he was training on was waterlogged - and came back home to get my things ready. Had 2 bowls of porridge, made some jam sandwiches for the trip and packed a change of clothes as I was expecting the weather to change. It was beautiful and bright but cold but I was expecting the worst.

Went back to pick him up a little early and this is where I lost some time. He managed to string it out for an additional 15 minutes !!!

Back home, changed and in the rush to leave the house I forgot to pick up my gels. Did not realise this until I got to the race ....

Got delayed in one or two places on route to Eton Dorney and got there just before 1.10pm. As the grass was too wet, we were parking down the road that connects one end of the lake to the other. So yes you have guessed it, I was about as far away from the start line as you can imagine.

It was at this point I realoised I had made a bit of a boo boo with the gels. But there was nothing I could do.

Headed for the start area at the top of the lake, (top left below)

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Eton_Dorney.jpg

Best part of a 1 mile jog.

It was wild. The wind was 25mph or so. I know for those of you in the north or south-west this is nothing but I was beginning to think that this was going to be tough. Got to the registration tent. Found my name on a list and went inside for my chip and number. There were three races all starting at the same time; 5k, 10k and 20k. With it being so windy they were writing numbers on peopels hands. 

The website said there would be bag storage and there was. A supermarket truck cage type thing. I had to chuckle.

There were probably about 400 people or so lined up. Started a bit late. I was doing 4 laps. Each lap was down the centre path between the lakes to the boathouse in the bottom right corner of the pciture and back up (slight rise in gardient) along the boundary adjacent the Thames.

The start was crowded and slow and it quickly became apparant that the wind was going to play a big part in the race. At least on this lap there was some protection afforded by the mass of runners but it was still hard going. I felt good so pushed a little over the first 2 miles to make ground. Drinks station was cups of water / gaterade. Most of it ended down my front.

At no point was the wind ever behind me. Mile 3 coming up the perimeter offered some respite from the swirling wind.

Then lap 2. Really tough. We were strung out by now and it was hard to breath the wind was that strong. It was hard to stand upright. I kept being blown from one side of the path to the other and kept kicking myself as I lifted my right foot off the ground. I could feel the energy being sucked out of me.

Again I did ok coming back up. Took on some gaterdae to try and build energy but was concerned that I would run out of puff.

Lap 3 and back down between the lajkes again. Wind was even stronger this tiome and by the time I got to teh bottom I knew that I was in trouble. I needed gels but did not have any and the effort of pushing into the wind was draining. Have never felt like this before. I began to slow on miles 9 through 11. I just had nothing in the tank. Most runners dropped out after 2 laps (10k) so laps 3 and 4 were quite lonely as the field was well strung out. On lap 3 I was passed while I was doing mile 9 by the guy who won the 20k in 1:11:20.

I remember when

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So my race was not until 1.30pm. I picked it as it was close to being a HM and it was on a Saturday as the OH is never pleased when I dissapear on a Sunday.

Dropped my little fella at footie - even the astro turf pitch that he was training on was waterlogged - and came back home to get my things ready. Had 2 bowls of porridge, made some jam sandwiches for the trip and packed a change of clothes as I was expecting the weather to change. It was beautiful and bright but cold but I was expecting the worst.

Went back to pick him up a little early and this is where I lost some time. He managed to string it out for an additional 15 minutes !!!

Back home, changed and in the rush to leave the house I forgot to pick up my gels. Did not realise this until I got to the race ....

Got delayed in one or two places on route to Eton Dorney and got there just before 1.10pm. As the grass was too wet, we were parking down the road that connects one end of the lake to the other. So yes you have guessed it, I was about as far away from the start line as you can imagine.

It was at this point I realoised I had made a bit of a boo boo with the gels. But there was nothing I could do.

Headed for the start area at the top of the lake, (top left below)

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Eton_Dorney.jpg

Best part of a 1 mile jog.

It was wild. The wind was 25mph or so. I know for those of you in the north or south-west this is nothing but I was beginning to think that this was going to be tough. Got to the registration tent. Found my name on a list and went inside for my chip and number. There were three races all starting at the same time; 5k, 10k and 20k. With it being so windy they were writing numbers on peopels hands. 

The website said there would be bag storage and there was. A supermarket truck cage type thing. I had to chuckle.

There were probably about 400 people or so lined up. Started a bit late. I was doing 4 laps. Each lap was down the centre path between the lakes to the boathouse in the bottom right corner of the pciture and back up (slight rise in gardient) along the boundary adjacent the Thames.

The start was crowded and slow and it quickly became apparant that the wind was going to play a big part in the race. At least on this lap there was some protection afforded by the mass of runners but it was still hard going. I felt good so pushed a little over the first 2 miles to make ground. Drinks station was cups of water / gaterade. Most of it ended down my front.

At no point was the wind ever behind me. Mile 3 coming up the perimeter offered some respite from the swirling wind.

Then lap 2. Really tough. We were strung out by now and it was hard to breath the wind was that strong. It was hard to stand upright. I kept being blown from one side of the path to the other and kept kicking myself as I lifted my right foot off the ground. I could feel the energy being sucked out of me.

Again I did ok coming back up. Took on some gaterdae to try and build energy but was concerned that I would run out of puff.

Lap 3 and back down between the lajkes again. Wind was even stronger this tiome and by the time I got to teh bottom I knew that I was in trouble. I needed gels but did not have any and the effort of pushing into the wind was draining. Have never felt like this before. I began to slow on miles 9 through 11. I just had nothing in the tank. Most runners dropped out after 2 laps (10k) so laps 3 and 4 were quite lonely as the field was well strung out. On lap 3 I was passed while I was doing mile 9 by the guy who won the 20k in 1:11:20.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I remember when I turned to do my final lap thinking that I had had enough. It took alot of mental strength to keep going.

I picked it back up a bit on mile 12 and crossed the line in 1:36:46 going at 7:09m/m pace for the last 0.5mile.

Splits as follows :

7:46; 7:31; 7:28

7:39; 7:47; 7:27

7:42; 7:55; 7:50

8:00; 8:27; 7:59

3:20 (7:09)

Overall I came 31st out of 99 runners who did the 20k.

270 people ran the 10k and 65 people the 5k.

So this equates to 7:46min/mile which would give a time of 1:41:39 for a HM.

Putting this into McMillan spits out 3:33:56 for the marathon.

Real schoolboy error forgetting the gels and it cost me time. The wind was also a big factor. This has got to be one oif the hardest races I have ever run due to the conditions.

But I am still sort of pleased with the outcome considering I am only 5 weeks into my training.

I have entered the same race again on 1st March so it will be interesting to see if I can improve on this time over the next 4 weeks.

Legs are not too bad tonight. I will probably get a recovery jog in tomorrow (if it is not raining).

• Oh Carl. Gosh that sounds tough! What a brilliant time though. I always think that the great thing with long races too is that they're excellent marathon training runs as you push yourself harder than you would alone and get a good, pacey long run in which should give you confidence for any marathon impending. Big well done to you!

well I did another couple of miles on the treadmill tonight taking my daily total up to 5 as per plan. Tomorrow going to finish the week with 6 miles easy as I've already done my long running, speed, and a whole lotta hills this week! Nice to look forward to.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - looks like I have been struck by the double post gremlins too !!!

• Hi Carl, That sounds a terrible run, not only monotonous but having to deal with the wind also. I suppose it will be interesting when you return and the conditions hopefully improve to see how you get on... I don't usually bother with gels on a half marathon, just take on water. You have got me thinking now whether I would benefit from one gel around the 9-10 mile mark to help a stronger finish?

I dropped my daughter off at her gymnastics competition at Musselburgh today and headed off with 10 miles in mind. I headed for Arthurs seat and back, but decided to head there inland as the wind was terrible this morning ( ( I did think of your exposed run Carl and winced), it helped things running a bit inland and on the way back touched Portobello and ran back along the coast. The way back was not too bad and the wind was with me in parts. Overall averaged 8:00 min/miles. On the way back was 5-10 secs faster per mile. Couldn't really get into the run to start, think it may have been due to lack of sleep as I mentioned earlier it was my sons supposed sleep over with his pals last night, and not a lot of sleeping was carried out! Plus it had been a pretty hectic week overall.

Ended up running 11 miles and got into the run more on the latter stages. finished in 1:28 so pretty much bang on averaging 8:00 min/miles. Had a shower at the sports centre and then got into the hall to see my daughter perform her routine, perfect timing, and her team won the gold medal for their section...result all round image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - good run from you considering the lack of sleep. And good timing too to see your daughter perform.

Normally I try and avoid laps on long runs as they are monotonous. The wind was a massive factor in making this a difficult race. When I was coming to the turn at the top of the lake, you just knew that you were about to run the length of the lake with it howling into your face. By the time of lap 4 I was really not looking forward to it.

As this was energy sapping, gels would have helped as I needed something to push through the last lap. I have used gels before in a HM and I do think it is good prep for the main event.

As you say, it will be interesting returning here in a few weeks and with more benign conditions, who knows.

Took my 10 year old out for 1.5miles today as part of my recovery jog. Our first run together and the poor fellafound the 'hills' tough. Dropped him home and then doid 3.5 miles more at about 9:20 min/mile. 5 miles total bringing the weeks total to 39.5miles.

This coming week is going to be a tad challenging as my parents are visiting from THursday through Sunday.  Not sure that the OH will appreciate me dissapearing out for my run. 18 miles planned for my LSR next weekend.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Lots of good running here as usual!  Well done everyone.

Carl, that sounds a tough race so well done for sticking it out and getting a great time in the circumstances.  I know what you mean about the wind - it can have a massive impact.  With hills you can kind of prepare for them or plan to run up them at a certain pace or run to feel, but with the wind all you can do is grind it out.  I've had two races this year where the wind have scuppered any time, but I just think it's good training anyway!

Ali, well done on your PB.  You'll be knocking on the door of sub-22 soon.

---

You may remember that this time last week I wrote on here that today I'd either be a bit dejected or quite happy following my running this week.

Well, today I got a 5-mile race done called Fulfords 5.  Having never raced a 5-miler before, I was using my 5K PB from Wednesday as the pace target and I pretty much nailed it today as I got 34:03 - McMillan suggested 34:09 from my 5K time.  I did have a "Garmin malfunction" due to human error image  At the start line I must have missed the start button as I noticed after about half a mile that the time was still on 0.  I could still see my pace, and I pressed the start button at the 1 mile marker so my Garmin only shows 4 miles.  However, the results have been published and I got 34:03 so I'm pleased.

In summary then, I got a pretty big PB on Wednesday at a 5K where my average pace was 6:38min/mile and quite a strong run out today where the average pace was about 6:48.  So, I've got to be pleased with this, and I am hoping that I am on target to get under that 1:40 half target that I've set myself.  The predictors show I should do this comfortably, but I don't want to be greedy!  1:39:59 will be fine with me image

This week it will be lots of very easy miles with me trying to do 40+ including a 14-16miler, and then an easier week the week after to prepare for my first Half of the year.  I was tempted to do a cross country race next weekend, but today I decided that I won't do that as I don't want to risk injury before my first "A-race" of the year.

• the weather throughout this month has really put a bit of a downer on running.  image

Ali, well done on your new parkrun PB, great work!

Carter, great 20 miler!

Stuart, like you ive only just joined the park run craze, welcome to the club

Carl that sounds like a horrible race in terms of the weather and boredom potential

Big G, good work on your 5 mile race.

sorry if ive missed anyone!

Right, fingers crossed this will work as ive tried to post a number of times over the past few weeks on here using my ipad and it has deleted my post somehow as ive gone to save it!  Using the laptop this time.

Ive rejoined my local gym partly due to this horrible weather so that I have an indoor option to my runs and partly to enable me to do some basic strength work a few times a week.  The week before last I had a bit of a sore ankle so dropped my mileage slightly (skipped one of my midweek runs and shortened another slightly) So when it came to my first 20 mile run of this training program with a sore ankle I was concerned about getting 8-10 miles in and being a little stranded.  Therefore I went to the gym and did the whole 20 miles on the treadmill!!! A few podcasts helped me out (Simon Mayos Radio 2 confessions were a highlight!)  but I don't think I have ever had a more boring run.  3hrs 10 mins it took me in the end.

This week, the ankle has seemed better and so ive ran 6 on Tues, 14 (again on the treadmill) on Wed, and 6 again on Thurs.

Yesterday was my second crack at parkrun, I went with a couple of friends to a different Parkrun local to them as my local is still using the alternative longer route.  Finished 22nd out of 409 runners in 21.22! very pleased with that.

Today went out for 16miles with 13 at MP.  Toughest run ive done in a while, after the mileage this week and parkrun yesterday, plus I pushed the MP a little quicker than I think I will go for.   2 mile warm up: 9.24, 9.13

13 miles @ MP 8.17, 8.17, 8.01, 7.51, 8.05, 7.59, 7.53, 8.02, 8.03, 8.02, 7.54, 8.04, 8.02

1.25 mile cool down 9.00, 2.14 (9.30pace)

Ok essay complete, fingers crossed it will submit this time!

• Carl – that race sounds like a right brute. I think you should be very pleased with that performance considering you are only 5 weeks into your training. If the weather conditions are ok then you will definitely by cracking 3:30 at London. Interesting that you take gels during a half, do you always do that or was it a decision you made because of the windy conditions ?

Ali – I love running up hills, not so keen on coming down them though ! Another good week for you.

Nell – sounds like a hectic week for you. When I was working in Edinburgh I sometimes ran along Portobello and it could certainly get rather windy round there. Did you go up Arthur’s Seat ?

Big_G – you are carrying on this year where you left off from last year. 2 new PBs as you prepare for your first A race, 1:37 for you I reckon if the weather is favourable.

Andrew – good god man, 20and 14 miles on the treadmill, are you mad ??? You’ve had some tough runs last week but good progress is being made. And congratulations on successfully posting !!

An easy 5 miles for me last night. The legs felt a little tired after Saturday’s effort but overall I’m feeling pretty good at the moment. Last week was 46.5 miles for me and I feel like I’m definitely heading in the right direction. So much so I think it might be time for me to enter a spring marathon !

• Monday is a rest day in for me so a bit of time to look back over the week just gone and some things that I’ve learned.

In no particular order (or importance)

Wind and Rain may be a great source of inspiration to Wessex poets (oblique A level reference to keep the education secretary happy this morning), but they are no to the aspiring long distance runner. Wet, miserable January – glad to see the back of!

If the question is ‘why does the male of the species have nipples’? The only answer can be: Vaseline. (Other petroleum based products are also available).

Just because the weekly plan indicates less mileage than the weeks before, that doesn’t translate to an easier week. Oh no.

Running a HM ‘solo’ is a real challenge. The schedule for Sunday was HM at race pace, and with nothing  organised within a reasonable distance of home It was a case of flying solo, ending in a session that was as tough a mental challenge as it was a physical one. Even if the outcome was very satisfactory  -  splits                        

Note to self : next time, find a proper race.

Gels are the way forward for anything over 10m. Every 5m seems to do the trick (8km), washed down with a bit of H2O.

Carl – enjoyed your race report. The west of Ireland comment made me laugh. Did you know there’s a Connemara marathon? It’s on April 6th this year. I’m guessing you were as happy with the result yesterday at the Aviva as I was.

Carter – have you not got an entry already for spring? Or I’m missing something there?

• Nice to hear from you Andrew.  But I think you might be a bit mentally unstable- 20 miles on a treadmill?!  I am SO full of admiration because the idea of that scares me beyond belief.  How did you feel after?  Did you do it at the gym?  I imagine you getting some strange looks from the other punters image

Carter you are managing some big mileage weeks.  How do you fit it around work- do you tend to run after work most days or do you manage during the day at all?

Canter- I can't imagine doing a HM at race pace running solo.  I have never managed to come anywhere near race pace whilst on my own.  I think it is totally a mental thing- I seem to need the adrenaline, the other runners around me, etc, to pull the pace out of the bag.  Did you manage to make the time goal you had in mind for this training session?

I finished last week somewhere around the same mileage as the previous week, around 30, so I think I should start building it up a bit further now and aim to get into the mid 30s over the next couple of weeks.  I didn't quite manage 6 miles yesterday as planned as I had a couple of other things to do and before I knew it it was time to drive back up to Aberdeen.  But I did get in a nice easy 3.2 very slowly, as a nice restful end to the week of some hard runs.

Today I am planning on going out later and doing a hill session as on my RW plan.  There is a good hill near Aberdeen beach that I have used for hill reps before so I think I will jog there and then do my session.  My next day off this week is Sunday so I will do my long run then which is to be 13 miles this week.

• Hi Andrew, Well done on the parkrun....20 miles on the treadmill, that is insane! I take my hat off to you, I really do!

Hi Carter, The way the wind was on Sunday there was no way I was running on the high road on Arthurs seat. I ran down the innocent railway (if you know that) and then along the lower road and through Duddingston down to Portobello. Good running for you lately carter, how are the knees behaving, and are you keeping up the strength exercises and stretching? 

Hi Canter, well done on the solo HM, I have ran like that before and it is quite a struggle to keep motivated unlike an actual race. I had been watching MOTD and then the Scottish cup semi (Hearts v Inverness) so didn't watch the rugby. My daughter kept updating the household of the score...I think she enjoys serving out misery on people...

Hi Ali, Good running from you, certainly right not to push things ;0)

I had a rest day today as I had ran Sat/Sun, went and did some S&C at the gym. I did contemplate a short recovery run tonight but the body suddenly relaxed and told me no....so I said ok we'll leave it...Hill reps in the morning!

• Hi Nell - the knees are holding up at the moment. I've been rolling most nights and doing some stretches most days, I'm sure I could still be doing more though. Question re the roller, a silly question I suspect - if, when I roll along the ITB, and there isn't much pain, does that mean it is on the mend ? The original knee/ITB hardly hurts now when I roll/ run so I guess it must be getting better. In fact, the other knee/ITB hurts more at the moment. 

Ali - my week looks something like this. 

Tuesday - MLR of about 2 hours when I get home from work. 

Wednesday - tempo run at lunch, work are very flexible with our working hours 

Thursday - interval/hill/easy session at lunch depending how I deel

Saturday - long run in the morning. Mrs C works Saturday mornings so no great impact on family life 

Sunday - evening, easy run for about an hour. 

Its now a routine/habit so everyone knows when I'm running and we all just get on with it. 

Canter - no, you aren't missing anything. Last year I started suffering with ITB issues so failed to make the start line for my spring and autumn marathons, plus a few fell and trail races I wanted to do. I booked most of them well in advance so it cost a lot of money and I couldn't race. This year, I decided to wait and see how the training goes and if the knees hold up. I think I should be ok so I will be entering Manchester marathon shortly. Hopefully that's not a kiss of death !