Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Carl - thanks for the welcome mate. Sounds like a good track session you had there, even with the rude women. I firmly believe the track can play a very strong part in your overall training plan and every runner should get down to their local track at least once a month.

Andrew - good work with your mate and hopefully he'll now be looking for the sub-25

Carterusm - take those runs where you can, they are the best.

I did my LSR yesterday. 15 miles at sub marathon pace of 7.55. 1 hr 58 in total. This was unintentional , just how the run panned out. Felt really good though. I have a X-country today but have been told the course is underwater. Ive only just washed me bloddy trail shoes too. Fun fun for a sunday hey
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  I haven't been on here for a bit but just letting you know I PBd at a Half today.  Unofficial time of 1:38:54, so I'm really pleased as that's over 3mins off my previous PB.  The conditions were perfect after the very bad weather we've been having, so it couldn't have been better; if the event had been yesterday morning, this time would have been very, very different.

Anyway, it looks like everyone is doing well which is great to see!  The reason I haven't been on here much is that I'm still continuing with my "slow" running for the majority of my sessions (10:00-10:30 min/mile), with one speed session a week, plus racing different distances/terrains fairly regularly.  I know this is different to most people on here, but that approach seems to be working for me so I'll stick with it for now.

• Options

Hello all - I'm still alive.... Just a few glute & hamstring issues over recent months and lost my running mojo a bit as a result image

I have been ticking over getting 3 or 4 runs a week in however. Still running longish on a sun morn - 13mls this morn. Longest since Dublin Marathon 3 and a half months ago!

Some great Marathon training going on here & the PBs wil be coming thick & fast come the Spring!

Big G - congrats, v well done .... welcome to the sub 100 club!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - great to hear from you. Was wondering if you had packed it all in. With Berlin as your marathom I bet you have been glad that you did not have to go out in the recent spell of damp and windy weather. 13 miles in good considering you have had a few issues and all that.

For those of us running in April, we are now in teh thick of it and need all the support we can get. It has been tough with the weather but there is some good training going on.

Big G  - great PB from you. I had forgotton that you had a HM on the horizon. As you say whatever you are doing is working and you are knocking out great times everytime you race. Keep it up. Puts the pressure on the rest of us.

Sean - that is a great time for 15 miles in training. If you keep this up you will smash 3:30 in London.  Did you do the XC today or was it cancelled ?

Carter - great run from you yesterday. 8 min miling for 11 miles in a cutback week !! Keep this up and you will be on for a great result in Manchester. 50 days to go. Hard to imagine that the marathons are not far around the corner.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I had planned 16 miles today with 8 of them at MP.

Got up early and as the daylight came up it was clear and bright. AS it was cold when I went out I wrapped up well with a few layers but I was cooked by the time I came back in. That said there were places where the wind got me and I was glad to have the layers on.

Headed down through London to the Thames again and ran either side of it and back home.

I covered the first two miles in 8:36 and 8:26 m/m.

I then decided that I would up the pace and go for the 8 marathon pace miles. Was not really keeping an eye on the garmin and before I knew it I was miling at sub MP. I then decided to see how long I could keep this going.

Splits for the next 8 miles were :

7:45 ; 7:38 ; 7:47 ; 7: 37 ; 7:45 ; 7:47 ; 7:50 and 7:56 m/m

Eased up then and covered the last 6 miles in :

8:44 ; 8:22 ; 8:32 ; 8:36 ; 8:39 ; 8:49 m/m

Average pace was 8:10 min/mile.

16 miles in 2:10:40 and passed the HM point in 1:45:20.

Pretty pacy but bot as fast as you Sean.

This was my highest mileage week of the campaign so far covering 45 miles from 5 runs.

So today was tough and left me wondering how the hell I would keep this together for 26.1 miles in 8 weeks time. It is certainly going some. I suppose this is normal at this stage of training. I have a few more tough weeks ahead of me and no doubt they will help. Will just have to see how it all feels a bit closer to race day.

How did everyone else get on today if you were out running ?

Wonder if the worst of the weather is behind us now.

• Options

Ricky, I think we all feel like that from time to time but well done on keeping going fingers crossed you will get your mojo back soon

Sean wtf? That's a LSR? Awesome work!

Carl, another good run from you. Like you I'm struggling with the idea of maintaining my planned MP for the duration

well didnt think I say this but today was a lovely day for running! Went out for my planned 20miles and even added an extra at the end for good luck.  Started steady at around 9.40 pace held that for about 10 miles picked up to just over 9 m/m for next few miles before last 5 at 8.30-40 pace. Finished with final mile in 8 mins.

so my quandary now is linked to my remaining LSRs. My schedule has me until the Mara running, 17, 18(w.14 @ MP) 17, 20, 16, 12 race day. This will mean I've only done 3 x 20 mile runs in all my training. I'm considering altering the schedule to the following... 18(w.14@ MP), 20, 17, 22, 16, 12 (tho I'm also thinking of running less in my two week taper. The planned schedule is from P&D. What do people think?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - it was a lovely day for running. The sun was so bright I am now thinking of investing in shades. Does anyone have a good pair ?

The P&D schedules are higher mileage but have less 20 and 22 mile runs than other schedules. Loads swear by these and are very successful in achieving PB's.

Others amend them and add a few 20 mile runs in.

My LSR's currently are as follows :

20, HM, 20, 22, 20, 15, 10, race

I ran 16 today. I was supposed to run 18 last weeek but ran 20 by accident.

Last year my plan had a similar number of 20 mile runs as this year but I did not get them all in.

I tend to think that 3 is too few and that 4/5 is probably more like it.

I think what you are suggesting makes sense and if you feel you are up for it, go for it.

• Options

Cheers Carl - yeah the X-County went ahead. Very very muddy, but pretty good run as you can imagine. Seeing as I ran 15 the day before at a pretty fast pace (for me) I saw the XC as a recovery run, so completed 5.4 miles in a very sedate 48 mins. Ill try and link a picture here, but this is me (with my head chopped off) wading through the mud. All of that for the entry fee of £3. Bargain. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53249423@N08/12574369423/in/set-72157641085304344

• Options

It was a bit quiet on here towards the end of last week, so good to see some interesting updates over the weekend.

My own schedule for last week took a couple of dents due to the bad weather, and  that combined with taking on board the (good!) advice offered from kind folk here regarding LSR vs 10k race, resulted in overall mileage being down to the mid 30s.

Everyone (Carl, Carter, Sean) seems to have gone a bit off piste on the pace front this weekend. Good times there, Co-incidentally I did 11m at MP on Sat, and with no ill effects from that, managed a new official PB for 10k yesterday @ 40:49.  

I’m sure everyone here will know the feeling you get when you achieve a goal you’ve set, or met a target you’ve worked towards.(Most recently Big G – well done on that HM time!) It’s a great buzz. Now if I could only get down to 39 something….

• Options

Hi everyone!

I have been noticeably absent most of last week due to the fact that not much running was going on and I didn't think you would like to hear the mundane details of my life otherwise.image  I had the hen weekend I mentioned previously and all in all a week of excess and fun.  But now I am happy to be back into my routine and got back to things tonight.

Met my friend at the gym, we were going to go for a run outside but the weather was absolutely awful at that time so we decided to go for the treadmill instead.  So did 10k tonight on the treadmill and enjoyed a good chin wag with my friend.  Then some weights and stretching.

I am glad to see Ricky back on the thread (where is Oirish though) and happy to hear of PBs happening even in these wintry, horrid conditions!  Well done everyone.

It's funny, one week on here and feels like millions to catch up on but I only really feel it's worth posting if I've done worthwhile running which I will do this week!

• Options

Hi everyone!

I have been noticeably absent most of last week due to the fact that not much running was going on and I didn't think you would like to hear the mundane details of my life otherwise.image  I had the hen weekend I mentioned previously and all in all a week of excess and fun.  But now I am happy to be back into my routine and got back to things tonight.

Met my friend at the gym, we were going to go for a run outside but the weather was absolutely awful at that time so we decided to go for the treadmill instead.  So did 10k tonight on the treadmill and enjoyed a good chin wag with my friend.  Then some weights and stretching.

I am glad to see Ricky back on the thread (where is Oirish though) and happy to hear of PBs happening even in these wintry, horrid conditions!  Well done everyone.

It's funny, one week on here and feels like millions to catch up on but I only really feel it's worth posting if I've done worthwhile running which I will do this week!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - looks like you are making up for it with 2 posts !!

Glad you had a good time over the last week as sometimes other things in life are more important than running. Not often though !!!

Canter - funny how going off piste with the pacing can be a good experince. Once I knew I had gone off piste it was a case of wondering could I stick with it for 8 miles. And of course if I can do it for 8 miles can I do it for more ???

A bit like when you get a PB, you are always pleased and then start dreaming of foing even faster.

This running malarky is very intersting as it is all about mind games.

I am now wondering if the training is working. Am I building the endurance needed to go faster on race day ? Am I better this time this year than last year ? What do I need to concentrate on - over and above getting the miles in.

I am 7 weeks in with 8 weeks to go. Have completed 270 miles. Have got a 45 mile week behind me. Am in the heavy mileage weeks. Have run 2 x 16 miles, a 20 miole and a 20k race. Speed sessions seem to be going as planned.

But yet I wonder am I doing enough ?

I am guessing I am not the only one who thinks about this. Hard not to. Must look back at last years training log .............

Anyone else feel the same ?

• Options

Carl - yes, I've started to feel a bit like that. I've got less than 4 weeks until I start my taper. As you know, I haven't got this far into a marathon training plan before so I'm now starting to feel nervous, apprehensive, ill-prepared but most of all excited. Today, I have been looking at some of the finer details like carrying my gels, how often are the water stations, getting from the hotel to the start line etc. I'm feeling strong and confident too but, as you say, am I doing enough.....

• Options

Remind me again Carter, which mara are you running?

Carl, always worth comparing what went well last time to how this time is going, looks like you are doing plenty to me esp as you told us your planned long runs for the remaining weeks.

8miles planned this evening with 5 x 600m @ 5km pace. Must also book a sports massage. Leg. Are not currently too bad but it's always in the last few weeks of training that my body usually falls apart.  Fingers crossed this time won't be as bad as I've not ran anywhere near as fast in training but massage is only going to help (please remind me of that as I'm laid on my front trying desperately not to swear at my friend who is digging her thumbs and elbows deep into my calfs)

io

• Options

Andrew - Have you got a roller? My legs are in a similar state, i.e. constant aches and groans every time I stand up from my desk. I must look like an 80 year old man. However been putting my calves and hamstring over the roller for the last week and its really helping. 

I have a similar plan to you tonight. Club session which ill run too and from, then 5 x 6 min out and backs at full effort. Should clock about 10 miles total and no doubt will be needing that roller tomorrow morning.

• Options

Carl/Carter- I always feel the same in the lead up to my marathons but then I think you have to remember the plan you've been following was in place for a reason, it had all the beneficial runs and mileage to give you your best chance, you have to trust it and think 'no, I couldn't really have done much better'

Andrew/Sean- I use the rollers at my gym after being recommended on here, they really do help after a long/hard run.

I had an off day today, but am finishing work early tomorrow hopefully about 4.30 so I am planning on running after work.  My plan calls for 7m steady but I haven't done hill reps in a few weeks and there are none on my schedule this week so think I might do 7m with some hill reps in the middle as I have strangely got to enjoy them (well more than I used to anyway).

Was not lazy today even though I wasn't running and ended up walking about 6 miles around the city with my parents who were visiting.

• Options

I have a roller complete with knobbly bits to make sure that pain isn't an option, and a hand held stick roller. Tend to use the foam one every other day or so but not really for long enough I don't think. But it does help.

did just over the 8 planned tonight with the 5 x 600m at 15.5km per hour pace (yup did it on the treadmill again but I'm finding the interval runs easier on treadmill as I can monitor the pace and distance much easier, will be outside again tomorrow for my midweek 12 miles)

• Options

Carl & Carter - you are both in a much better place training wise than I have seen u at any point last year. Keep the niggles away, train smart & get to the start line and I reckon your PBs are nailed on. Sub 3:40 is where you should both be pacing for given your training times I reckon. What are your target paces?

club tonight for me - tough interval session: 10mins, 7mins, 4mins x 2 .... 42 mins in total and covered 6mls according to my garmin. All on a gloopy, muddy grass circuit in worn out road shoes which was .... Interesting!

• Options

Andrew - I have one of those knobbly rollers and, as you say, pain is definitely not optional. that said, I certainly believe that this has helped me to stay running following my ITB issues. I'm running at Manchester on 6 April but am still unsure of my race pace (despite me last week saying I had settled on one). 

Sean - I spend a lot of my day at my desk stretching so I'm not aching too much. I do have a bit of pain going up and definitely down stairs and I dont think any amount of rollering is going to sort that out. 

Ali - I agree what you say about trusting the plan. The thing is, this is the furthest I've ever got in a plan and the old mind starts thinking all sorts of things regards my training and race. Looking at my plan I am about 50 miles down on what the plan says but I'm not too concerned about that as I'm feeling pretty good most of the time. 

Well, ive now had 3 rest days this week, 2 planned and tonight i had things to do at home. A bit of re jigging means I am looking at a 14 miler tomorrow. I'm off to Burnley to watch Forest on Saturday so I've booked off Friday to do my long run, 20+ miles with 14 at MP

• Options

Hi Ricky - glad to have you back mate. Yes, I am in a good place. My target for Manchester is between 8:15 and 8:30 but will settle on the exact pace nearer the time as I am still unsure !

• Options

Hello again everyone, i have been very lax in posting and visiting the forums recently, i hope everyones training is going well. How are the 20+ miles going Carter, i did my first 20 on Sunday and died on the last mile. Intro the last 16 weeks now so starting to get a bit nervous. Is there anyone else on this forum who is doing their first Marathon? 

• Options

Hi Stuart - this is my first marathon after 2 aborted attempts last year. the 20 milers are going very well indeed, I've done 4 already and I hope to get in 2 if not 3 before I start my taper. What marathon are you running ?

• Options

I think Ali makes a great point about not under estimating how following your plan puts you in the best possible place race day. Of course if it is your first marathon, or even if it is your first attempt at a time you’ve never achieved before, there will be those questions in your head as to whether you can do it or not.

I’ve only run one marathon distance, so I’m no expert, but my experience of it was that the training was the hard part, not the race itself. (Relatively!)

If you’ve done the physical preparation then the final part has to be reminding yourself that you are ready as you can be, and you can do it.

Carter, your mantra as you get closer should be:

‘I’m ready, and I can do this’.

Actually that’s the case for everyone and for sure  what I’ll be telling myself when I’m standing at the start, nervous as a kitten!

• Options

Hi Carter, i'm running the Edinburgh Marathon in May. How about you? 

I agree with the training being very important, everyone who ive spoken to and everything thing i have read on the forums points to this. I'm hoping to give myself every advantage i can by putting i the hard work now. Its been hard, especially in the rain and cold, but at the same time i am seeing improvements across all my running, with new PB's at 5K, 10K and Half marathon distances. This has given me the boost i needed on those cold dark mornings. 

I cant wait to get to that start line, i know i will be nervous but as the same time its going to be a great day.

• Options

Think I read a stat somewhere that only 50% of those who start a marathon training programme actually make it to the startline - 99% of those that make the startline go on to go the distance. So this stat kind of backs up BKs experience in finding the race the easy bit!

Carter - proposed pace sounds about right . I remember well the anguish and indesicion on pace and didn't decide until virtually race day. In the end I went out at 8 mml pace with thoughts of 3:30 but at 8 miles in thought better of it as I just wasn't feeling 3:30 was on and backed off a little. Ended up averaging 8:19 for the 26.2 miles so it worked out in the end and my 'B' goal of sub 3:40 was achieved.

• Options

Another 12 miles this eve, 9.10 pace and quite glad tomorrow is a rest day.  weekly mileage is already at 41.5 miles with two more to go. (Tho it depends on whether you start the week with Sunday or finish with it)

i think I've already posted that I have similar concerns to Carter regarding pacing on the day.  Like many on here my shorter distances suggest I should be capable of 8.00 min miles but my last marathon I attempted to maintain around 8.30 or just under and burnt out at about 21-23 miles.  Think I'm going to go for something in the middle around 8.15, see how I go with 8.30 as the back up and plan C to get anything under the 4hr mark.  Big difference this time is that is is the first time I've trained at a slower pace but also a higher mileage per week so fingers crossed will do the trick

• Options

Hi all

Ricky- again nice to see you.  You are right about Carl and Carter and their training so far this year.  Very impressive.  

Carter- you have made it to this far in your plan because you amended your plan to include your cut back weeks which are there to avoid injury as per previous years.  Doesn't that show you your own approach has worked.  Given that you've got this far without major injury and are looking well set to run your marathon.  Keep up the approach you have- trust it completely- it's worked for you.

Canter- talking of mantras, I had one during Loch Ness that I used in the last 10k.  I repeated 'You can do hard things, this is easy' to myself to the beat of my foot steps.  Helped...I think.

Stuart- nice to hear from you again.  How is training going for Edinburgh?  I am really looking forward to it.  Pretty excited.  You will love it I promise.  I know quite a lot of people running during the weekend doing the 5k, half marathon, and marathon.  So will be a nice social event.

Andrew- How's your training going?  Sounds pretty high mileage- well done.  Legs feeling ok?

I got in 8.6 miles tonight on the treadmill (longest I've ever run on there...wow!)  First hour did 11k with hills thrown in (sorry for mixing between km and miles but treadmill measures in km) and then hopped on a treadmill next to my friend to do a 20 minute cool down nice and chatty and easy.  So total time 1 hr 20 and I can't believe I managed it on the boring treadmill but that's nothing compared to andrewimage

• Options

Canter - a very appropriate mantra and despite sometimes feeling a bit unsure about the pace I am very confident that I will get round. It's hard to explain that I feel so confident although this is my first marathon. I'm in a good place at the moment and don't feel it's over confidence. 

Stuart - sorry, you've have asked me before but I didn't answer. Manchester on 06/04 for me, 46 days away ! Like you, my over riding emotion at the moment is excitement. 

Ricky - interesting stats. If it turns out race day is easier then I will be a happy chap as I'm not finding it particularly difficult which is a complete interest to last year. I can't remember what spring marathon you are running ?

Andrew - sounds like we are in the same predicament and have very similar aims for race day. How on earth have you managed 41 miles already ?? It makes my 4 miles look very poor !

I'm having one of those weeks that really upsets the training plan. After 2 big weeks (for me) last week was a cut back week and this all went swimmingly. This week was meant to see me almost at my training peak, ready for some big weeks before starting to taper. A couple of planned rest days went well and was meant to do 14 tonight. Mrs C has been ill recently and tonight saw her feeling quite bad. Despite that, I went out but got a bit guilty leaving her feeling unwell so I turned for home. Some juggling will be required to get this week back on track without overdoing it. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Always good to get a discussion going I say.

Carter - like you I am playing catch up this week. I had a late one last night at work and just did not feel like going out when I got home. So tonight I did last nights interval session on the track.

I had it all to myself as the lights were not on. Really enjoyed this. Tomorrow I need to do tobights 10 miler. Going to get it in early.

1 mile w/u, 6 x 1km intervals (10k pace)with 200m jog recoveries and 1.5 mile c/d.

Splits for intervals as follows :

6:51m/m (4:23min)

6:36m/m (4:20min) 

6:27m/m (4:06min) 

6:26m/m (4:06min) 

6:20m/m (4:06min) 

6:15m/m (3:57min)

What pleased me most about this was the fact that I got faster each one and was in control of these sprints.

These are a key part of my training plan and are the sessions I do not want to miss.

Marathon running is as everyone says all about putting in the training. Do thgis well and theoretically race day should be easier.

it is only 26.2 miles after all compared to the 500 + miles of training image

• Options

Carter, my runs this week have been 21 on Sunday, 8.5 on Tuesday and 12 last night. I've just got a recovery 5 tomorrow and then to encode what to do on Sat as the scedule talks about a tune up race, but I'm still not quite sure what these are and I'm due to do 18 with 14 at MP on Sunday so don't want to go too mad.  Suspect ill do around 7 at 9.30ish pace

ive played around with a few running mantras before, but the last marathon I used snippets from a txt sent to me on the morning by my brother in law (the previously mentioned mountain goat of a runner) can't remember it exactly but went something along the lines of...

'you have trained the legs, now trust them, relax, be confident but be prepared to test the mental strength between the ears. Push hard for your goal. Forget the niggles, no excuses and enjoy.'

thg bit about having trained the legs now trusting them really stuck with me.