Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Sean – great time for your 5k, well done. I wonder if your Achilles flair up is connected though? I’d take it easy on that club session today. You don’t want to aggravate that with only a few weeks to go.

Big G- hang on in there. And don’t worry about the weight thing. A few less intensive sessions won’t have a big impact on how much timber you’re hauling around.  Just don’t OTT on the carbs.

So after a rest day yesterday there were some intervals in the diary today: 8 m with 1m w/up and 1m w/down; 5m in the middle at 7m/m.

My legs said no. Not today.

So I swapped tomorrows 9m easy to today instead, and even that took a great deal of will power to pull the trainers on.

Gawd, I’m tired.

• Options

Welcome along PS!  What was your first marathon and how did it go?

Nell- I also worked harder than I thought or maybe just the impact of not being well caught up with me, yesterday my legs were feeling horrible.  But today I went for a very gentle 6.3 miles with my running/gym bud and they do feel much better for it!  Funny how sometimes having sore legs from running can be cured by more running.

Carl- I was thinking re Mo Farah, what's the big deal, he's a professional athlete and these guys run all out for every race, they give it all they have every time and so no wonder sometimes they have nothing left at the end.  I'm sure he's been slightly embarassed by all the fuss and is fine now.

Stuart- do you have a half coming up soon?

G- don't worry about the weight.  Funnily enough I've found during periods of relative inactivity I actually find it easier to lose weight.  When at my most active my appetite goes through the roof.  I put on weight training for Edinburgh and London.  Managed to curb it third time around for Loch Ness.

Sean- wise choice on the run.  Track session sounds good.  I have little experience in track sessions but believe Carl would be your man for that!

Canter- listen to your body and remember that if you are feeling over tired you won't gain as much from your runs, don't stick to a prescribed run 'just because'.  Think what value it brings you and if rest would be more valuable to you sometimes you have to make that decision.

Easy 6.3 miles for me tonight with my buddy who I am helping along, she did really well and I enjoyed it as it was a beautiful night and we hadn't had a catch up in a while.

Tomorrow my first 20 miler- ah!  Going an easy, flat there and back route to keep things simple and undaunting.  And just around 10 min mile pace would be grand.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - your first 20 miler. My last one is this weekend and I will be glad when they are done. I think you are right to keep it easy for the first one. I thnk I enjoyed my first one. Not sure I would use the word enjoy for any of the others. More about grinding them out.

Canter - sensible decision to swop things round. Our bodies need rest. I have passed the 450 mile mark on this training stint. That is a lot of miles.

Sean - I do love a good track session mainly after lights out when I have the track to myself. I have not done pyramids. Have tended to stick to the same distance but sometimes try and run faster each time. Tonight I did 5 x 1mile intervals. Next week I am doing 10 x 800m. I have also done 6 x 1km, 15 x 400m and 16 x 200m. I think the 800m intervals are my favorite.

Tonight it was much colder on the track than I thought it should be with a firece headwind particularly in the finishing straight. I got to the track late so most of the club runners were on cool down laps.

I had dispensed with the winter running gear which might have been me being optimistic.

After a 1 mile w/u at 8:39m/m pace I set off on my 5 x 1mile intervals with 400m slow jog recoveries in between.

The first mile was tough. Getting the legs moving was not easy. This was a 6:54min mile.

I decided during the recovery lap that I would td run the next one a little faster even though I had struggled a little bit in the first interval and the wind was not nice.

Managed to do this in 6:49 min.

So the die was cast. Next lap had to be faster. Pulled a 6:45 min out of the hat.

I always find when doing these longer interval distances that after a few intervals I have loosened up and can squeeze a bit more. So I pushed it a bit harder and crossed the line in 6:31 min.

The jog recovery was getting a bit slower each time as it was really tough going.

I squeezed out a few more pips on the last interval to grab a 6:26 min final mile.

I think I left part of me on the track on this one. I was done after this. Finished off with a 1 mile c/d.

This is the third time that I have done mile intervals each time adding an extra mile. My average pace was 6:48m/m the first time, 6:43 the second time and 6:41 tonight. So it looks like I have got a little faster even if it is only marginal.

• Options

Carl: Mile Intervals. hmmm, thats could be challenging.

One of my facebook friends just posted this yesterday incidently. Looks proper solid. Old school metal. image

'The way we generally did the session at Sale in the '60s was to pair up on the track with a runner of roughly the same ability. 

So RUNNER A with partner RUNNER B covering let's say 10 miles. In those days it would be 40 laps of the track.
    Runner A starts ....half way along the finishing straight. He runs 200 metres around the track where RUNNER B is waiting. He touches RUNNER B who completes the 400. Meanwhile RUNNER A has to jog across the middle of the track fast enough to be back in his /her start postion as RUNNER B comes around. They touch again and repeat

So RUNNER A in a 2 man 10 mile PAARLAUF they each do 40 x 200.

Apparently you can also do variations of this, i.e. 5k, 10k etc.

Now thats a track session if ive ever seen one.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - that is as you say a track session and a half. I think I will stick to what I do as tht would kill me off.

Quiet on here today. Where has everyine gone ?

What is wrong with the weather. It was boiling hot last weekend and this week the nights are cool and the wind is so strong. Makes running harder than it should be this time of year.

So went out for 9 miles at a comfy pace tonight. Average pace was 8:47 min/mile.

The first mile or two were hard (probably not helped by the fact that the legs just did not really want to get moving.

But stuck with it and another session closer to London.image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. It certainly is windy out there again at the moment...

I've had a nice long break since my long run on Saturday; I went out on the Trans Pennine Trail yesterday and knocked out 4 miles at tempo pace of 7:15 then another 3 miles at HMP +30. It felt pretty good to be out there again and running at a reasonable speed and it was a lovely afternoon too. A gentle trot this lunchtime for me as well. With 5 days into the taper and 17 days to go to race day I am happy to report that there is no signs of taper madness....yet..

• Options

Bugger. Went out for a warm up before the track and my achilies flaired up again. It feels like its bruised and quite tight, but I don't think its any worse then that, however, again took the decision to pull up and stop. Very frustrating. 

I'm at the gym tonight so will try and do some gentle stretching and light weights. Then see how it feels for my Friday jog to work tomorrow.    Injury sucks.
  • Options

Yep it’s been a bit quiet last few days, we seem to be on a ‘one in, one out’ basis at the moment : PS has joined, and Nell’s gone to play with the speedsters on the sub 3:30 thread – don’t forget your roots Nell!

Carter – good to hear you’re not climbing the walls yet. That’s a nice tempo speed/distance.

Carl – last couple of days there’s been a strong breeze blowing face on when I’ve been on the Embankment. That wind direction and strength replicated on the big day would make the last 5 miles a bit (more) of a slog. So here’s hoping for more calm conditions.

Sean – rest, rest and more rest. And if you’re not feeling like you can fully rest then slow down a bit.

Only 23 days to go.

My interval session yesterday didn’t go according to plan. The requirement was for 5 x1m intervals with 400m recoveries. I managed the first 2 as scheduled and midway through the third had couldn’t keep the 7mm pace. So I cup them down to 800m intervals with recoveries, and extended the overall total to 8.5m.

The 2 sessions so far this week have been tough. And again I’ve swapped my rest day to today with 7m (5m @MP plus jog 2m) in the diary for tomorrow instead.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Sean, I'm struggling with achilles too image  It's a right pain, as the gym just isn't cutting it for me at the moment!  I've been twice (Monday and Wednesday), and been bored out of my mind on both occasions.  However, I've got a little 1 hour routine sorted so I'll keep that going for the next week.

I saw the physio again yesterday and she said the injury could take a while to fully sort itself, but to keep persevering with the stretches.  She has also referred me to a podiatrist, but I'm not sure of the timescales of that.  The issue does feel slightly better than it was, but I've promised myself I'm not going to run for at least another week.   She also said that as long as whatever I'm doing at the gym doesn't hurt (which it doesn't), it is okay to continue with that.

In other news, there are a load of my club doing a 10K this weekend and I'm trying to get everyone together for a group photo in front of Exeter Cathedral before the race.  "Herding cats" is quite a good expression of trying to arrange to get everyone in the right place at an agreed time image  Wish me luck!

• Options

Hi guys

Sean- that track session sounds like a killer. Give the Achilles a couple of days. Sometimes a small niggle can go as quick as it came.

Carl- I am longing for summer weather. Would rather run in heat/sun than rain or wind any day. I also feel more incentivised to run when I enjoy being in the outdoors and getting the sun on my back...

Carter- good work on the taper. Keep it sharp and interesting. Can't wait to see how you get on in Manchester!

Canter- don't worry about sessions not going to plan at this stage. You're ready for it- have faith.

G- what are you able to do at the gym?

I was meant to do my 20 miler yesterday. Sadly it didn't happen. Me and my OH were both quite ill the previous night. I was up half the night hacking my lungs up. I felt so weak the next day that I didn't even go out the house all day.

my only other day I could do it this week would be Sunday morning. I start work at 10 so it would be a 6am start. Sounds unappealing but I really want to get it done. Whether I do is another matter. i will plan to.

• Options

Ali Bali: exactly the same for me pal. got 5 miles into my 20 on Monday before I had to pull up. Then not been able to run again this week. Retrying the last long long run this sunday AM as a 11 mile out and back along the canal. Will have a running partner so hopefully we'll keep each other going. Not starting at 6am though. Ouch.

• Options

Yeah a 6am start is sounding extremely daunting. I mean I could leave it till next week but I really want to get it done this week. I was psyched for it till I was ill. And as I'm working the rest of the week it has to be on a working day. And Sunday is my latest start time in the morning.

it goes without saying that running 20 miles after work screams no to me. I'd be exhausted.

anyones tips for getting up v early and just getting it done? It's so out of routine for me but there must be lots of you who run early mornings at points or at least have done previously.

So if you have can you encourage me or tell me how you've done it?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali, I'm doing mainly cardio (cycling, x-trainer, rowing) and some back and leg exercises on the machines.

Ali, I quite regularly run my LSR after work on a Friday, but I suspect I probably finish work earlier than you on a Friday as I'm usually out the door before 4pm.  It is tiring, but I get the motivation from knowing that I've done the miles early in the weekend  

When I do LSRs early, I make sure I choose a really nice route which for me means good scenery, a few hills (not too steep, but just nice hills to break it up), ideally a loop as opposed to an out and back and the quieter the better.  On runs like these, I ditch the headphones and just take it all in whilst "doing what we do" and they are often the best runs to be honest, especially if you're out when the sun is rising.  Good luck!

• Options

AliBali: FILTER COFFEE. Im doing a canal out and back on Sunday, but its quite a scenic one to be fair.

So I went to the gym last night and did a decent core / legs workout. Tried some new exercises I saw in Mens fitness specifically designed for runners. My fav was putting a 70kg bar on my lap, maneuvering myself to the edge of a bench and performing 10 deep dips using my hips to thrust me up. Felt the burn in the calves alright, very good exercise for the legs all over.   Anyway I got a call at 6:45 asking if I was in town, and could drop into the game of 5-a-side I dropped out of the day before. Achilies still not 100% I went, but to be fair that seemed to cure it, who would have thought. Scored some belters to with the left peg too.    Ran 5 miles into work today, a bit sore to start off with but still managed 7:45 min miles with a rucksack on. So fingers crossed im back on track.
  • Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi canter, yes I have been over on the sub 3:30 page seeking some advice. I am a small guy but I have plenty of love to share, so I will still be knocking around on this thread....I couldn't leave you guys :0)

Just hearing about all the pulls and tears, remember the powers of Ice guys, something not to be underestimated!

Hang in there Big_G, I know you like knocking the miles out!

Hi Ali, If you are struggling for time in the mornings what about fitting 13 miles in first thing and then 7 after work? Not ideal I know....

After the HM last Sunday I have had a decent week. Like you Ali I went out for a 4 mile recovery run on Monday which helped with the lactate. Tuesday Hill reps, 6 miles, ran a 10 miler wednesday and then ran 5 miles yesterday as I had football last night. To be honest after 5 miles yesterday I had enough with the horrific wind and rain yesterday morning!. rest day today and went to the gym for some S&C and then a 4 miler tomorrow and my LSR Sunday, cannot remember whether it is a 18 or 20 miler?? Looks like it will be windy!!

• Options

Hey Nell – good to see you! We need a good speedster here; it brings us all up a notch.

Ali – can’t give you any advice on such an early start except to say that you’d really need to be fuelled up from the night before if you are setting out so early. Do you have a plan for liquid/gels on the 20m?

Personally I struggle to get any food in me early doors. I’ve been practicing an early breakfast on Sunday morning in advance of the race day. I’m not sure I could set out on LSR before 9am. But everyone is different. Let us know how you get on.

Big G – your description of your LSR conditions makes it sound great! Makes me want to get out there on Sunday.  

Sean – what’s the plan for your final (?) LSR now. Is that the canal one?

The schedule said 7 miles today – 5 at MP. I was tired earlier in the week and swapped things around a bit so today was feeling a bit more energetic. After some good stretches I got straight into MP for from the off just to try to find some rhythm and see how I went. Kept that up to 10k, nailed at exactly 50 mins,  and then stepped it up for 3 miles at 7.15mm to finish.

20m planned for Sunday to complete a 50m week and then

Taper time!

22days to go…

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    BK Canter wrote (see)

Big G – your description of your LSR conditions makes it sound great! Makes me want to get out there on Sunday.  

Canter - thinking about those early morning LSRs make me detest the blasted gym even moreimage  Get through the weekend and then enjoy that taper - you've earned it!

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Canter, I remember you got a 1:30 HM the other week didn't you? I am looking forward to see your time in the marathon, I think we could be seeing a good time. I just hope the weather starts behaving itself before the beginning of April for you guys!

Sean, you seem a strong soul and you seem to be mixing the training up well. I myself will play my last game of footie next Thursday and then just concentrate on the running for the 8 weeks before the marathon. It kills me as I love the footie, but it makes sense as the miles go up and knowing me I would get injured!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ok so I have just about recovered from last nights run. And it was not the running I was recovering from.

I had a night out in a restuarant in Covent Garden planned with 2 great friends from previous work places. We meet every 4 - 6 months for a catch up.

So ever dedicated to the cause I brought my running gear with me, carried it about London from one building to another.

I work near Victoria - moving to Holborn on Monday - and headed through Pimlico for the river. Ran on the south side along to The Globe theatre, back across the river at the Millenium Bridge and back down the Embankment past Parliment and back to teh office via Pimlico.

It was cold and windy. Very windy. And it started to rain.

The plan was 7 miles with 5 at MP.

The run along teh south side was cold but ok. When I turned to come back I could not believe the wind. Crossing back over the Thames was brutal and the run back the embankment was brutal. It was hard to make progress and I expended alot of energy to keep going at a little faster than MP. (mile 5 was where I took the brunt of it).

My splits are good but it left me exhausted.

8:11 ; 7:35 ; 7:42 ; 7:38 ; 7:52 ; 7:45 ; 8:06

I did enjoy the night out but I was shattered today. Maybe getting home after midnight was a wee factor in this.

I plan on resting again tomorrow and doing my last 20 miler on Sunday.

Ali - I am not one for ealy morning runs but have done it once or twice. As it is your first and you will not be pushing it, suggest you get up, have a quick bite to eat (toast, tea/coffee) and head straight out. You should be fine as you will be taking it easy. But it is hard getting up and heading straight out. I might be doing something similar on Sunday. But not at 6am. More like 7:30am.

Big G - hang in there. Must be tough but you can do it.

Nell - good to hear that the week was good. Always tough after a race to get back into it. And yes the weather better improve. I cannot imagine runing 26 miles in cold and windy conditions.

Canter - like you I am looking forward to the taper. The body is tired. Trying to work out if that is as it should be or a result of pushing too hard.

Sean - glad to hear that the injury seems to have self corrected itself.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter -  Just over 2 weeks now. How are you coping with getting thsi close to arce day ?

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. 

I've been really busy at work recently so haven't had much time to come on here. Glad to see everyone is doing OK, there is always going to be the occasional blip but we just have manage them as best we can. 

Carl - 'how am I coping this close to arce day ?'. I hope you mean race day !!! image

I am doing OK so far. I did a tempo run on Wednesday with Mrs C along with me on her bike. That was tough going, 4 miles @ tempo pace then 3 at marathon pace, the old legs felt that. An easy run in the woods yesterday with the mutt was a nice gentle trot. I've just been out to do 14 @ MP but after 6 my legs were really struggling so I headed for home with a couple of easy miles; I don't think the curry and beers last night helped really ! I think I need to rest more than I have been recently and any runs I do between now and race day will all be at an easy pace. I also need to knock the beers on the head.

Just off to watch Forest against Derby, we desperately need a win in this one.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, I think that more beers will be required after todays result. That is a royal humping :0(

Hi Carl, You are certainly dedicated matie!  

From what I am hearing from you, Carter and Canter it seems like you are ready for the taper. Which must be good as you have been putting the body through the motions. After the taper you guys will be feeling ready for things I am sure. I have not included you there Sean, as you are quite a maverick and I have not quite worked out your training strategy yet, but I have a feeling it will work as you sound a pretty dynamic guy ;0)

4 miler for me this morning at 7:30 pace whilst the kids were at swimming broken when I met my father-in-law and stopped for a chat, so I didn't stop at my usual viewpoint across the Forth, besides there was another runner behind me and he wasn't getting past image......

• Options

Hi everyone.

When I last posted I was in London for an overnight stay with work.  I went out for a little run at night on the Thursday and started to get a very, very sore heel in my left foot.  Had to cut the run short at half an hour and go home.

Yesterday and today it's worsened to the point where I had to literally limp into work this morning not able to put hardly any weight on my left heel at all so looking like a cripple.

And now, in sympathy, the right one is starting to feel the same.  Shooting pain across my foot and up the start of my ankle when I step on it.  Maybe plantar fascitis or achilles related.  I am so so SO pissed off.  Went to the gym today to do some non weight bearing stuff and upper body weights.  Don't know when I will be able to run again and it came on so suddenly?!  So that's my planned 20 miler off the rota for this week along with my planned run today.  I hope it will go as quick as it came.  Any advice welcome.

G- you are a trooper.  Keep going to the gym as it will make your return to running easier.

Sean- another football player eh?! Glad your achilles feeling OK

Canter- please enjoy your taper as you've worked so hard.  Well done.

Carl- your dedication never ceases to amaze.  You are one of the most reliable of us on here for just going out and getting it done regardless of the personal and work life.  Really hats off to you.

Carter- don't be silly you told me that kebabs and cider makes for great PBs... does it not work the same with beers and curries then?!

Nell- enjoy your LSR and report back about how it went so I can be jealous and seethe that I can't bloody do anything.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Not sure I should come on here. Everyone seems to be getting injured !!!

Ali - really feel for you. Hopefully a little reast and the niggles will dissapear as quick as they came.

I am off to bed now. Running at silly o'clock in the morning.

It is bleedin' freezing here tonight. Not looking forward to the last 20mile LSR of the campaign.

Hang in there everyone else. Anyone else doing LSR's tomorrow take care.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

20 milee LSR complete. Shattered.

Got to take little fela to footie now. His tea is playing the team at the top of the table so not expecting a result..

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I hope you get that issue sorted Ali and Carl, well done on getting that LSR done.  Have you any more LSRs now before the big day?

I went along to a 10K this morning as a spectator and assumed the role of "Trotter Race Photographer".  I had put something on the Facebook group about getting a group photo done prior to the race, and 33 of the 40 finishers turned up at the requested time and place so I was pleased with that image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carl, Well done on the last LSR, I bet that feels good? I am just getting into my longer runs and you have finished yours.

Hi Ali, That is crap news, hopefully you can get it sorted. We are still 9 weeks to go so hopefully it will not hurt your prep too much ;0(

Hi Big_G, Well done on keeping up the restraint..

I went out for 18 miles this morning, completed 18.5. I am completing last weeks schedule as the HM was scheduled for next week. Kind of a repeat of the other week down to Portobello and back but taking a slightly different route. Saw a lot of the no doubt marathon runners coming along from Musselburgh to Portobello. Got back home and the first cold bath of the schedue......not enjoyable, but legs feel good for it.

Off down to see my son at the swimming baths soon. He is swimming 100 lengths for Sport relief, rather him than me!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Big G - hang in there and keep going to the gym. This way you will maintain a reasonable level of fitness and this will make the recovery quicker when you get the green light to run again.

Great stuff getting everyone together for the photo. How was it spectating at a race ? Really impressed with your dedication to your reporting role.

Today was the last 20 mile LSR.

My plan has me doing 15 miles next weekend and 10 miles the weekend before the Big Race.

Ali - As Nell says, you have 9 weeks to go. You have been training well. Most important thing is to recover and not make the injury any worse. You might want to see a sports physio just to get an opinion on what has happened.

Nell - great long run from you today. Looks like you have got back into it this week after the HM. Well done.image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

My plan had me doing 20 miles today at about MP +30 secs.

So I somehow managed to get up just after 7am. My 10 year old was up and catching up on last nights Match of the Day.

A quick bite to eat and I headed out the door at 7.50am. What a mad hour to go running.

It was absolutely freezing with a strong wind.

My hands did not thaw out for at least the first 6 miles.

Usual long run route. Down through Regents Park, Oxford Circus to Westminster. Along the river to Tower Bridge, crossed back over the river via the Millennium Bridge, back up the Embankment to Westminster, Horseguards, up the Mall, past Buck Palace, up to Marble Arch and into Hyde Park. A few miles here and then back home.

It rained on me when crossing the river at Tower Bridge.

I  set out at 8:20 min /mile pace and was not sure if I could keep this going for the 20 miles. It did not feel right running so early in the morning.

But somehow I did. I completed at an average of 8:16 min/mile with most of my miles in the 8:10 min to 8:22 min range.

It was hard and I had to keep talking to myself to keep the pace up. 

It was cold. Needs to warm up for race day. 

My legs have been put through their paces these last few weeks and need recovery time now.

I am definitely ready to taper now.image