Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Sean, Well done on the unofficial PB, will the Leeds 10k be relatively flat?

Hi Carter, Nice steady running there and good advise on listening to the body. Exactly what I am doing at the moment and keeping the runs to easy, although playing footie tomorrow for the first time in a wee while.. Enjoy the beers. I have been on-call since the world cup started and have not been able to relax with a beer in front of the telly. Worst was for the England game when I was at my neighbours. Everyone else was drinking beer and I was on cloudy lemonade with a tube of pringles! Come Friday I am off so intend to chill out and properly enjoy image

HI Carl, Some good miles clocked up on your side. I too must have a look at joining a club. But alas it is fitting it in with the family/work life!

HI Ali, Good to see you are still working out in some form...just the University running club, aren't they the speedsters?

5 miles from me yesterday, still not convinced with the left knee. Still taking it easy, Did some small muscle group exercises today and will go out for a run tomorrow morning 5-6 miles again easy. Then footie after work and then watch the game image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - sorry to hear that the foot is still causing you grief. Getting it checked out is not a bad idea. At least you have been able to keep going to teh gym and maintaining some fitness levels.

Carter - as you say listening to the body is an important lesson and you are an example of how to manage the niggles and bag a great PB for the marathon. So if running what you feel like is working for you at the moment why not. Constant pressure of a training plan can be rather tiresome.

Nell - sounds like you are being sensible so that is good, Enjoy kicking back when you no longer are on call.

So yes Ali is was nice to run an easier run tonight. Again it was later than planned as the parent teacher evening went on a bit longer than I hoped at my son's school. Legs were tired after last night's exertions but I set out to run down to Regents park and back home. 6 miles at 8 min/mile bang on. Felt good if a tad tired when I came back in the front door.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ali - as the others have said, get it checked out. The sooner you know what the problem is the sooner you can do something about it. I used to work in Glasgow a few years ago at Sky Park, opposite the SECC and was staying around the Dumbarton Road area. It's just a few minutes drive and you are in to some lovely countryside, ideal for running !

Nell - with my ITB I find that I can 'sense' it when I'm running and then it will disappear again for a few miles then come back for a short while then go again. The pain never gets beyond a 3/10 so I'm happy to keep running on it, obviously with the stretches, roller and occasional massage helping. When not running I never have an issue with it. Is this the same for you ? You may not have been able to drink for the England match but at least you saw us get beat ! Good to see you back on the footy, did you have any issues with your knee because of footy ?

Carl - are your easy runs all being run at 8:00 now then, including your long runs ?

Yesterday lunchtime I went for 5 miles down by the river. It was a mix of HMP and MP miles as I have previously found that this session sorts my legs out. I've still got a couple of aches and niggles but a 3 mile trot into work this morning felt good. I'm slowly feeling that I'm getting back to where I want to be. 

• Options

Nell: Yep its a completley flat out and back so massive PB potential course.

Ive also blagged my way into an elite runners pen, so I should gt a good start as opposed to last year which was horrendous.  For some reason they set off the elite runners and corporate challenge runners in two pens that are actually side by side. Thus if you are a little bit back like I was last year, you run through the line and immediately merge with quite slower runners doing the corporate challenge, a lot of whom seemed to think it was a good idea to run holding hands in two, threes, and fours!!!! The weaving and ducking so early tired me in the heat, and cost me 2 or so minutes overall I reckon. 

Im planning an 8 miler tonight straight after work. Aiming for 7:20 pace, as so to deliver me back home for the footy. 

I have a horrible feeling that I cant shake, that England will lose tonight and we will be following Spain on the plane home. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - you should not have bothere coming back home for the footy. Defensively very poor. World calss striker took his opportunities very well. But you have to question the defence.

• Options

Carl - two assists for Stevie G to his teammate, looked like the Reds started the season early! 

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI Carl, nice run. I bet it is better running on a summers night to the horrid winter nights before the London Marathon?

Hi Sean, sounds good for Leeds then and you were right on England ;0(

Hi Canter, Yes I don't think Gerrard could have played a better ball to Suarez for the second. That is Suarez though he is anticipating all the time...

Strange day yesterday for me. I went out for 5 miles in the morning and on the first mile was worrying about the ITB when I realised that I was tensing up, so decided to just get back to basics and relax the shoulders, crown of the head to the sky and all that stuff. Sun was out and ended up having a lovely run, pretty much at 7:30mm?? Played footie last night and made my excuses before we started after being away so long and ended up having a great game, legs felt great and no aches after... the only pain later was watching England and the majestic Suarez ;0(

Gym this morning and might try and get out early doors AM as I have some scheduled work over in Glasgow later on in the morning...

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. Quick check in as I am on World Cup duty again tonight !

Long run for me today of 18 miles at just under 14 min miles. That included 3600ft of elevation so it was really hard going, it was murder on my feet. Along way off where I want to be but it is still very early days at ultra training. That's topped a 50 mile week for the first time in months too so all is looking good at the moment. Now then, where's my magners......

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Hope you're all enjoying the world cup.

Nell- sorry to be ignorant but haven't heard of the speedsters... I have a few friends who were at Glasgow previously and joined the running club the Hares and Hounds, it sounds good because although there are a fair few competitive runners there are lots of students who run at my kind of pace so I would fit in OK image

Fairly quiet around here but I imagine it's cos you're all watching football...Sean you were right on your prediction... poor England.

I still haven't run (12 days now) but yesterday and today my foot has felt almost completely normal!!!  And pain free.  I'm meant to be running round Race for Life with a friend tomorrow.  I'll have to judge in the morning if I feel up to it but hope it may mark my return to running 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - hopefully you will be able to get back to running today. If you do take it easy.

Carter - might not have been as good as what you wanted but as you say it is early days in your ultra adventure and you have done moe than 50 miles in the last week. 

Nell - yes running late on a summers evening is far more preferable to those cold winter nights. GGood run from you despite the ITB.

Sean - great stuff from you as usual.

Canter - less said about the assists the better. 

Carter - not planning on 8 min miling for the long slow runs at weekends. Runs during the week are going to be at a slightly higher tempo. Not started my plan yet - probably this week - so just running for fun and pushing myself on these hills.

Spotted a gap yesterday when the parents went out for a walk. 8 miles on the same hilly route as during the week. Midday sun. Wow it was warm. Very hot actually. Aimed for 8: 30 to 8:45 and finished in 8:34 min/mile. Will try nd sneak in a few more later.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, Blimey you are going for the hills! Nice going...and a cracking match last night with Ghana and Germany! I getting into the European spirit, on the Stella Cidre

Hi Ali, Sorry, I don't know if they are speedsters in Glasgow, just the Edinburgh guys I have come across have been fast, but that sounds good if you can get in with a matched crowd straight away ;0) Fingers crossed you can get out!

Hi carl, Nice sneaky run there, good luck on another attempt today ;0)

My wife is running the Bannockburn 10k today, I am chauffeur to the kids so couldn't get along. So,got up early and went out before she headed off to the run. I Ran 6.5 miles, first mile and last 1.5 at 7:40mm and the middle 4 at 7:15 or just under. The knee was fine, so I am very happy with how things are going there..image

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Nell how did your wife get on at Bannockburn today?  I thought about entering that one previously, looked like a nice race.

Carl- the sun seems to have disappeared from Aberdeen again for the time being, send us some up will you.

My foot was feeling OK today so I ventured out to do the Race for Life 10k in Aberdeen with my friend.

This was my first time officially 'pacing' someone as I had agreed to see her round, her initial goal was 1:05 but I knew she could do it in under an hour so I said we were going to aim for that once we got going.  She was just uncertain as she's not been training very consistently for a few weeks due to holidays and what not.

I really enjoyed it, I told my friend to just stick by me and not worry about pace, I would keep her right.  We did the first couple of km in just around 6:10 pace but I could tell she could go faster so we upped it and did most of the rest in just under 6:00 km pace.  There weren't km markers all the way round but there were a few- which I noticed were a good bit ahead of my garmin (and other people's) lots of hitting the km marker then a couple of minutes later hearing everyone's garmin beeping...so I knew they were a bit off but we were going by my watch to try and keep evenly paced.

All the way round we managed to keep just under 6:00 km/pace, with the exception of 6-7 km where my friend hit a bit of a wall, but I gave her little sympathy, a strict reminder of how far she'd come, and told her to stick with me.  She did well to pick up again.

We were perfectly on pace to finish 10k in under an hour, we had run just over 9k and then suddenly... we saw the finish.

So bit of a shame as the race was short which was a bit disappointing for my friend's first official 10k.  

But we finished what was 9.22km in 54:25, which is 5:54 min/km pace. For 10k she would have finished in bang on 59 minutes which was fantastic for her and much quicker than she's ever done in training.

So I did a good job pacing her, and she really enjoyed the experience even though it was short.  

My foot is feeling OK;  I am aware of it but it's not 'painful'.  That was my first run in 13 days and I thought it may feel worse.  Touch wood it stays good.

• Options

Hi all

That's great to hear that your foot is feeling ok Ali. Sounds like you did a great job of pacing your friend. It was really after I'd done my first 10k race that I got the running bug good and proper.

Was up at 5.45 this morning to do my core workout and yoga. I'm getting as much in as I can early in the mornings. Not looking forward to it so much now that the days are getting shorter!

First week of marathon training was completed yesterday with a 9 mile LSR. It wasn't pretty as I hadn't drunk enough before I went and foolishly didn't take any water with me as I underestimated how hot it was at 8.30 am.

15 weeks to go image

• Options

Ali. Great to hear the foots on the mend.

Was the race a UKA certified one, as I cant see it being so short if that was the case, certainly not by that much anyway.

Did the race have loads of sharp turns and bends? GPS watchs tend to miss distance because of this for eg my local parkrun always comes up as 3.01 miles every week as opposed to 3.1 for that reason.

Also, if you switched on the watch quite close to the gun, sometimes it may not pick up satellites until your are say 0.78 KM down the road, which is maybe what happened yesterday

Good article on it here anyway from someone at my club who is also a course measurer.

http://www.kenkaiser.co.uk/course-measurement/index.html

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Hi Sean. No the Race for Life are not certified and they notoriously often come up quite short. Untimed too as just for charity. Have a friend whose PB is 48 mins and she did it in 44 yesterday... General concensus by most was that it was v short but as most people just run it for fun/ to fundraise, not too upset! My friend is still well chuffed with what was a great run for her so that's the main thing.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - great stuff from you yesterday. Good to hear that the foot is on the mend. And great pacing for your friend despite the shorter course. As you say these kind of races are not about PB's. All about fundraising. 

PS - well done for the early morning stuff. Cannot do that myself. Only 15 weeks to go. That must mean I start marathon training this week. 

Nell - did not manage to sneak out again yesterday. Spent the whole day being taxi.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all, hope everyone is enjoying the glorious weather at the moment and making the most of it. 

A lunchtime run down by the river yesterday resulted in getting caught up in a thunder storm and got rather wet. A nice trot in the sunshine this morning on the way in to work and will get out again at lunchtime. I went out on my bike for the first time yesterday too so I am going to try and incorporate more cycling into my week. I'm really enjoying it at the moment, if only the sun shone all the time

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter -yes the sunshine really does make a difference.

So as I was coming home tonight the clouds seemed to be building up just for me and it poured. Once it had eased I was off out for my first run on my marathon traning.

Now I have not actually put my training schedule together. This week is going to be a bit of a loose schedule but based on a hill session (tonight), easy run, intervals and with a LSR at the weekend.

My usual hill workout tonight.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/HH_240614.jpg

Target was 6 - 8 miles at close to 8 min miling.

End up doing 8 miles. It was tough. I had to really push from the outset but twas a great workout. Lungs were working hard. Splits as follows :

8:00 ; 8:03; 8:02 ; 8:02 ; 7:34 ; 8:08 ; 7:53 ; 7:52

Average 7:56 min/mile.

I am going to try and get this sesion in once a week from now at about this pace. It is a little racy but it is a smahing feeling at the end.

And as it was dusk as I was cantering through the woodlands of the Heath I even managed to see some wildlife. I disturbed a bunch of rabbits who were on their evening stroll and not expecting to see a mad runner come haring round the corner struggling to keep my breathing under control. I really enjoy this run and must try and incorporate it into my proper plan. I will settle on this by the end of the week but it will broadly follow my winter plan.image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

A bunch of rabbits seeing a mad runner come 'haring' round the corner ??!!

• Options

Sounds like a good run Carl! The other week I was running through the churchyard at 6am and came across a deer. Now that did give me a fright. Holy Trinity (shakespeare's church) is in the town so I don't know how it got there.

Some more morning runs from me the last couple of days. I feel great after upping my calorie intake and have lost 4lb! 

Carter will ill you run home from work too? Do you have to keep changing your kit?!

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Carter I keep hearing talk of glorious weather but haven't seen any evidence of it yet image

I take it you English are getting some good sun?

Great pace on your run Carl.  Impressed.

Well done on your changes PS.  I see deer often in Aberdeen.  Sometimes not far from the city centre.  It's mad.  Any decent green areas and they find a home.

I've done a good intervals session this week at the gym with my friend (nice thing about treadmills is we can both go at our own pace and still talk) and then tonight a half hour run after work before going to the gym for strength work.

Rather enjoying still not following any set plan.

Doing parkrun on Saturday then the Peterhead 5k on Sunday.  Enjoying the thought of shorter distances too.  This is the joy of running- variety.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - the sunshine seems to be there during the day and it rains at night.

Came home tonight and it started raining so I had an interval session in the rain on the track. It was sortof nice as the rain was warmish. Not like when I got soaked during winter training.

1.5 mile warm up followed by 4 x 800m intervals with 200m recovery jogs (very slow) in between. Another 1.5 miles cool down.

Intervals were at :

3:12 ; 3:10 ; 3:13 ; 3:08

Not easy as the first real interval session for many a month. 

I am going to get a few easy miles in tomorrow evening (weather permitting).

I might even get the local parkrun in on Saturday. The little fella might be skipping footie training as he is on a sleepover on Friday night.

Ali - good to see you are back running and enjoying it.

PS - well done on the weight loss and getting those morning runs in.

Carter - you could not make it up. image

• Options

Carl: Great to be back at the track huh? I need to get a session in next week. 

PS: been watching your runs come through my feed on strava. You are certainly putting in some (early) miles. Keep it going.   

Carter: Same to you buddy, your miles seem to be racking up as well?    Anyone else joined strava? Join the RW 3:30 - 4:00 crew. ha ha  

I did quite a brutal hill session on Tuesday morning. 10 x up an down the hill that my local parkrun uses without any rests. It actually felt quite good and exhilarating in a kinda perverse way, but boy my legs felt it later on in the day.  

6 mile tempo run for me (moderate effort) at lunch today, then ive entered something a little different tomorrow. Its a 5000m timed track race, so im hoping for a PB. Should be fun.  

Then on Sunday its the Bradford Millennium way, and we shall see if the hill session has paid dividends.  

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

PS - I will only run to work or at lunchtime, sometimes both, but wont run home as I have a 35 mile trip to get home so don't want to be hanging around as there are plenty of roadworks at the moment too.

Ali - it's been lovely down here recently but today it is misty and raining, back to normal. Hope it clears for the weekend. How come you women want to gossip even though you're doing an interval session !!!

Carl - as speedy as ever on your interval session. I see your boy Suarez has been up to it again. He needs banning permanently in my opinion.

Sean - yep, I'm starting to feel good again now after the Manchester so have started increasing the miles. Down to just a couple of niggles too ! You certainly do vary your running and the races you enter. That hill session looked pretty good too.

4 little runs from me this week so far, either on the way to work or at lunchtime, totalling 20 miles. I'm starting to put the emphasis on the longer, hillier runs at the weekend so all the runs during the week are nice and easy and short. Tomorrow, I have got a lovely route planned in the Hope Valley. I'm due to run 22 miles which takes in 4 big climbs that total about 4500ft and most of the route is off road. The 'trails' in the peaks are not lovely, manicured trails like some other areas; they are rocky, stoney, knarley and quite technical in places and they are battering my feet so I need to get plenty of practice. It's a tough old route so I have planned it so I can get back to the car if I'm struggling a bit. So, hopefully this rain will go away for tomorrow or it's not going to be very pleasant on my run !

Happy running over the weekend everyone.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

A bunch of rabbits seeing a mad runner come 'haring' round the corner ??!!

Carl - if you were wearing a cap on that run your comment could have read "a bunch of rabbits seeing a mad hatter come haring round the corner"......

• Options

Ha ha Carter you'd been working on that gag I can tell image

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, Yes the ITB can be like that with me on a run, comes off and on. But then probably at the same level as yourself. I think it is sometimes down to posture. Never had any issues with the footie and ITB. Your runs seem to be getting back to the distances now Carter, so hopefully you have are managing the ITB. The hill runs will also be doing the biomechanics a world of good :0)

Hi Ali, Good to see you are getting back to things and even taking on pacing duties! My wife ran 54:54 at Bannockburn, which she was happy with. Although I think she could have done better if she would have carried on her training after the Edinburgh 10 mile. And, no I didn't say that :0)

Hi Carl, Nice hill session and splits nice and consustant apart from the 7:34 when you must have felt like a quick burst ;0) I do think a hill session in the plan is well worth it. Adds some S&C as well as a run session. Nice speed session too and again consistant splits!

Hi Sean. Hope the running goes well this weekend and looking forward to another maverick report ;0)

Hi PS, Glad to hear the nutrition plan is going well. Hopefully the uptake in energy is boosting the metabolism and sounds like you are feeling stronger for it? I am going for a 12 week plan for the October marathon, couldn't quite face another 16 weeks!

Myself, Busy week at work this week, but managed to get in alternate runs and gym work throughout the week. Went out for 4 miles this morning started out first mile at 7:20, second and third at 7:00 & 7:06 and then last mile came down to 7:45. Intentionally came back on the track uphill to slow down (and take in the view across the Forth). Strength slowly getting back ...hoping to get out for 6-7 miles in the morning. On call this weekend and then break up for 3 weeks Monday evening and then hoping to get in some nice running in the Languedocimage

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

PS - I like to think in funny but others will tell you I'm not !

Nell - nice to hear you're getting back into things. At the moment all this running in the hills is knackering me out. Not sure it's doing much for my biomechanics at the moment. I'm sure it will all come good eventually, I just need to stick at it. 

yesterdays long fun turned into a MLR. It was really tough going again and I only managed 15 miles with 2700ft of climbing. This in itself is good, but with 6 weeks to go to the race, I was hoping to be doing a few more miles and climbing in my long runs. And yesterday hurt towards the end, it was a struggle to even walk up the last climb and the last decent turned into a bit of a shuffle. I think this is due to using different muscles for off road (the ankles amd feet take a right beating on the peaks) and climbing and descending. Still a great run though and took in some beautiful views, well I did when the clouds disappeared and I could see where I was going !

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - those runs you are doing sound really tough.  I think you are doing great. it is only 3 months since you smashed the marathon in Manchester. So getting 15 miles in with crazy ascents and decents is fantastic. I could not do it.

If you look back on recent posts I think you will find that you are improving. Having come this far you will just have to stick it out and see it through. It will take much more out of you than marathon training. It is much more physically demanding on your body and as you say you use different muscles with the climbing you do. 

Hard to offer anything more than encouragement as what you are doing is not something I have any experience of. And there is me thinking that my hill routine is tough. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - I am definitely sold on incorporating the hill session. It is tough but I can sense how beneficial it could be. And I think getting some S&C work in during the week might help. Have been thinking of it for some time. Now just need to get on with it.

Like you I have decided that I am going to go with a 12 week training plan. This gives me another two weeks to build my base back up.

I think 12 weeks is enough and might leave me in better shape to go for a PB. The summer months are tough as the heat does take lots out of you. This is not something that you worry about in winter for sure.

So today after being out last night and needing to leave for a footie tournament just after midday (got home at 8pm), I had a slot of one and a half hours this am.

Decided I would go for a flatter route and keep the pace up a little. 10 miles at 8:14 min/mile. It was warm. Pleased with that as the legs were a tad heavy. Could have gone on for a few more if I had the time.

Over the next 2 weeks need to get back to 4 runs per week and 30 to 35 miles per week.

Must revisit my training plan now that it will be12 weeks long. Must do a little research on how these are normally structured.