RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• It has gone a bit quiet round here hasn't it. summers hols in all that I guess. 

Carter. Week late, but I hope Harvey is getting on and healing up well. 

Carl. Precise training as always.

Bit of a low mileage week for me , just ran in the two races I entered. 

I did the Hyde Park summer mile on Wednesday and was in heat 8 of 10. Good standard, and became a bit of a hyde park harriers vs Valley Striders as 6 of them to 5 of us. Two laps of the top of the park, 0.99 miles on the garmin in 5:32. Wow the fastest ever mile ive run. Pretty happy at that.

Did the Eccup 10 today, not a massively hilly course by way of gradients, but very undulating. Very tough on the stamina and legs. Got round in 69 mins and 20 sec. First time ever under 70 min at 10mile. Chuffed to bits.

No rest for the wicked as have the Leeds 10k up next weekend. I think ive entered a few races this year haven't I. lol.

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Hi guys sorry for the absence but I've been rather into the football believe it or not!!!  Had bets on last night's match and won £45...not too bad right!

Am watching the final right now so this will be short.

Carl- usual machine like goings on with you.  Speedy 10 miler.

Carter- I understand lacking in motivation.  I am still feeling a little that way after Edinburgh.  For me I've decided to use my lack of motivation for high mileage to just focus on shorter distances.  I don't know how that appeals to you but it feels nice to me.

Sean- that's a smashing 10 miler there.  Well done you.  What kind of time are you hoping for in your upcoming 10k?

This week I got in 5 decent runs though none of them particularly long.  One good hill session yesterday and a great interval session today on the treadmill.  Feeling good for short distances but since Edinburgh have only done a grand total of 2 runs over 7 miles.  Haha.  However am enjoying the shorter stuff.

Aiming for a 10 miler in a couple of weeks in Ballater which would be a nice build up to half marathon level for me again.  Then a couple of 10ks in August as there are quite a lot in Scotland then.  My 10k PB is 2 years old so I feel it must be due renewing!!!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - so why am I not surprised at another two races and two absolutely fab times. Great time for the mile.image

Have never done one and not sure how I would approach it as you sort of need to come out of the traps flying. Usually takes me a while to get into a stride.

And great time for the 10 miler.image

Have only ever run one 10 mile race and I think I came in a little under 80 mins which I was well chuffed at. So just under 70 is amazing.

Ali - well done on getting the sessions in this week. At least you are out there running and enjoying it. Does not need to be all long stuff in any case. If you are focusing on the shorter stuff through August some focused shorter runs are not a bad idea.

Carter - that is some training run. 22 miles in 5 hours. No wonder the feet are killing you. As I read your post I was thinking 'good decision'. Then I get to the end and see that you had changed your mind after convincing yourself you had made a decision. Being honest I think yo could probably do it but it will kill you in the process. There is probably an easier way to transition from road running to this fell running you are doing. It seems to me that you have taken on a mammoth challenge and that your body has not yet adjusted from road running. But a challenge is a challenge and being as we are sometimes we have to do the near on impossible as that becomes the focus rather than what we are actually doing. If it was me I would not do this at the moment. I would focus on getting a new PB on the road and deciding then if that is as fast as I could manage on the road. If the answer is yes then I would say that is the time to change terrain and go after the fell stuff. But I would also work out how to do some shorter fell runs first to get the hang of it and then tackle the longer endurance mind over body stuff that you are contemplating.

Me - did not get any running in over the weekend. My window of opportunity was short on Saturday and it closed no sooner than it had opened. I thought about it on Sunday but it would have compromised stuff with the OH and the kids so I thought that was wrong as I have been pretty single minded about it for much of the year and they still tolerate me. So back on the merry go round tomorrow evening. Was going to do an interval session but will do my rolling hills at MP again to make up for the weekend. 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Sean - Harvey is getting better cheers. The stitches were out today and all is good. Some great racing from you and a cracking mile time. How did you enjoy watching the tour fly by ?

Ali - short stuff isn't for me, I tend to break when doing too much faster stuff. I ran/walked near Ballater when I was in Scotland, it's a lovely place. How is the new job going ?

Carl - I think my biggest problem at the moment is that I don't really know what my main goal is for the rest of this year. I agree that it would make more sense to focus on the marathon for now and go as fast as I can and then change to the off road stuff. On the other hand, I'm really enjoying these long runs in the peaks. During the winter they won't all be as nice so I can spend my time pounding the streets while training for a spring marathon. So, my latest thought is that I will go for my next long, off road run in a few days and try some different footwear. If the feet survive I will go for the race, if they don't survive I might still go for it ! Have you settled on your training plan yet ?

Just about to head out down by the canal for a little tempo run. 

Carl- glad you had a nice weekend with the family.  Back on it this week.  Have you any races coming up soon?

Carter- fair enough re shorter stuff.  I like shorter races but haven't done as many of them.  But find them very satisfying in a different way to the HM/marathons.  With longer stuff it's all about how long you can put up with the exhaustion for, that endurance.  With shorter races you have to be giving it your all, feeling pretty painful from the word go and pushing through that.  The grimacing look on the faces of the winners at parkrun says it all about racing a 5k.

Re: new job- I haven't started my teacher training yet, it starts next month, but thank you for asking.  I only have 2 weeks left in my current job in retail, bring it on.  So really looking forward to next month image

Had a nice 45 minutes today out with my friend, it was a warm evening and we enjoyed some late sunshine, both came back dripping in sweat.  Tomorrow working a night shift at work but might try and get in a run before hand.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - great to hear that Harvey is on the mend. Must be a weight off your mind.

I had guessed you really enjoy the fell running and as you say this is the time of year to do it and enjoy it. 

So if changing shoes helps and you want to give it a whirl, then do.

Still thinking about the training plan in detail. The big question is do I do 4 runs or 5 runs per week.

I am looking at doing my rolling hills / 800m intervals on alternate weeks, a MLR and a tempo run during the week. I am debating 2 runs at the weekend. One at MP and the other a LSR. This is sort of the Hal Higdon approach and I am contemplating trying this as it is the summer and I can probably get away with it. 

Ali - No races in the diary as yet. I am thinking of a HM early August in Richmond Park, getting some parkruns in and maybe a 10k or two before the end of August. I am probably looking at a pre-marathon HM first weekend in September. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So my rolling hills run tonight. Usually do 8 miles and briefly thought about trying for 10 but after a severe talking to myself decided that sticking to 8 and going for it seemed to be the better option.

And 10 miles would have killed me.

Just in case you have forgotten the profile.

/members/images/557163/Gallery/HH_240614_0.jpg

Splits as follows :

7:42 ; 7:43 ; 7:40 ; 7:46 ; 7:22 ; 7:55 ; 7:32 7:02

Average pace of 7:35 m/m.

Exhausted after this but strangely feel really pleased with myself.

I had to work really hard to get this down to this pace. 1min 40sec faster than last week which is alot over 8 miles.

Will be tired in the morning. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ali - you can keep you short stuff thanks !! Glad to hear you're getting some nice weather oop norff image

Carl - re Harvey, yes it's a weight off my mind but also off my wallet ! At the end of the day, we run because we enjoy it and if I'm getting more pleasure out of off road running then I will go down that route I reckon. You're getting faster on that rolling hills run, 12 seconds per mile quicker on average, that's great going. As for your training plan, I think you should settle for a 4 run per week plan. You know you will be able to get them in most weeks so you can focus on making them quality sessions. If it happens that you can get a 5th run in some weeks then do so but if you can't then you know you have got your quality runs in already and therefore it's not an issue if you cant do a 5th. And I guess the 5th run is likely to be a short recovery run which, in my opinion, isn't going to improve your fitness or speed so not totally necessary. You have often mentioned how busy you can be at home and work, so take some of the pressure off yourself by knowing you can achieve all the runs that are on your plan.

Tuesday, I did a 5 mile run including 3 @ tempo pace - 7:18, 7:06 & 7:00. Speedy stuff is hard going in the heat and muggy conditions. Last night, I hit the streets and did a 12 mile easy run. The term 'easy' is all relative; after my tough run at the weekend my legs were really heavy last night, especially on a climb that goes on for about 4 miles. That said, when I made it to the top and was running on a flatter part of the route I felt pretty good but tired at the end. I think all this off road, hilly run is helping me become stronger which should be good when I return to the roads to train for a road marathon

• Evening everyone.

Hope you're all enjoying this beautiful weather. I was out at 5.45 am getting my intervals done for the day. Glad I went before it got hot.

if you're enjoying your off road running Carter you should definitely stick with it. I love my occasional runs up the hills around us when my plan allows. Only a small fraction of the distance you're covering though. 

Carl - how could we ever forget that profile? I'm in awe.

Hello fellow girl Ali! Hope you got your run in before the night shift.

Sean your racing is putting me to shame. I'm debating a 10k race this Sunday. 3 laps of Worcester Racecourse. There's a fun run before it that my 8 year old wants to do but that will require some logistical working out. It's his birthday in a couple of weeks and he's asked for running kit and running shoes along with new football boots, football, training kit and replica kit. Makes a change from all of the electronic stuff anyway.  

• Hello all, just doing my periodic check in

Happy to see the core contributors are all chugging along nicely in various states of preparedness, while some of us are still drifting with only misty commitments on the horizon

I scratched my plan for both 10k races this week as the target was for sub 40 and I diligently failed to follow the required schedule to get me there. The HM in Sept remains a goal, maybe with something in between.

In a moment of madness last week I convinced my other half that a trip to Ireland during October half term would be good, and while I’m there I could run the Dublin marathon.

I haven’t signed up yet, but I think I’ve made the commitment in my head. It’s 14 weeks from next Monday.

In the meantime I’ve joined my local running club. This has been on the cards for a while, not least because I was struggling for access to facilities/motivation for interval sessions during my London training schedule. It’s not perfect but they have a 400m track on grass (April to Sept evenings) and Thurs nights is the interval training session with 3 groups for fast/medium/slow abilities.

I slotted in with the medium group last night and after a 2 x 400m warm up the intervals were 6 x 4 minute intervals at 5k pace (3.55m/km – 6.20m/m), with 1 min recovery in between.

You basically mark your position with a cone at the end of 4 mins and then try to match/beat that point on the track with each interval.

It was quite a tough session, and there is no way I would have pushed myself as hard trying to do this solo. Also the effect of having people to push yourself against and someone on the clock with a whistle keeping time meant there was no slacking.

At the end there was an excellent static warm down session – a mixture of stretches and pilates type exercises. Again, I’d never have the discipline to undertake this kind of session on my own.

Add in the chance to meet some like-minded runners and it’s all positive stuff. Having toyed around with the idea for months before finally taking the plunge I’d definitely recommend.

Carl- great run on those hills.  I reckon that's quite a fun one!

Carter- your tempo run times make me think you'd have a very decent 5k time in you!

PS- have NEVER been out running at 5.45am I can safely say.  Well done.  Did it leave you tired for rest of day?

BK- well done on joining a club.  That session sounds fun!  Will help you improve.  As you say it's all about being forced to commit to a session you may not have stuck to yourself.

A lovely easy 6.3 miles in the sun today, beautiful in Aberdeen but not too hot at about 18 degrees (that's tropical to us pasty Scots).  9:36 min mile average and a lovely enjoyable hilly run in a circular loop around the city.  So enjoyable!  

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Canter - great to hear that you have made the 'commitment' to run Dublin. Ricky W ran it last year. Great event by all accounts.

Great running at the running club. Sounds like it is just what you have been waiting for.

PS - a 5.45am run. Respect. image

Ali - I wish it were only 18 down here. Problem when it hits the high 20's low 30's is the humidity, otherwise it is bliss.

Good running as always. 

Not much more running from me this week as have been busy and I am getting ready to take the family for the annual holiday back home. 

• 5.45 running is brill! Sets me up for the day and means that it's done and I don't need to worry about squeezing it in once the toddler is in bed. Not fun in the winter though as very limited on routes. 

Debating a 10k race tomorrow. On one hand my plan says I should do it. On the other hand, it's nearly an hour from home, I've had a mad busy week, we've been invited to neighbours for dinner and I have a bottle of champagne in the fridge to take....

Hi guys

Yesterday I did a nice 3 mile progressive run before my workout at the gym on the treadmill.  Today, 4 miles along the beach including a little paddle in the sea at the end- what a treat!  Was pretty freezing but you've got to get into the spirit of Summer...

PS- did you do the 10k?  If so, give us a report.  image

• Ha ha no the prosecco, sauvignon blanc, cabernet sauvignon and pudding wine won! Did manage 6 miles at a decent pace this morning though!!

I am so envious of your paddle in the sea Ali. I've always wanted to live by the coast. Instead I've ended up in Warwickshire about as far from the sea as you can possibly be!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

PS - Sometimes you just have to let the hair down. A night out or in with friends is just as important as a 10k race and as you say you got a good 6 miles in this morning.

You are right about those early morning runs. It is done and dusted. I just cannot force myself up at that time.

Ali - you are certainly enjoying your runs at the moment and a little paddle in the sea as well. Must feel good. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So I set off from London last night at about 7pm and made it to Kinsale in County Cork tonight just before 6pm.

Quite a long drive with a car full of noisy kids but we all survived.

After unpacking the car I decided that I needed a run.

KInsale is a beautiful harbour town on the south coast. Only problem is it is hilly. 

I set out with a plan of 6ish miles. Did not bring my garmin so had to use my phone. First time I had the volume on while running with Map My Run and was surprised to hear it speak to me after the first km. The first 3 were all uphill and I went for it. It is certainly tough starting a run and heading up a steep hill from the outset. My recent hill runs came in handy.

Listening to the phone every km is certainly interesting motivation to keep the pace going. I was surprised that after sitting in the car for so long that I was getting faster as I went. So first 4 miles I got faster each mile and then it was a case of holding on at the end as the route picked up elevation coming back home over the last 2 miles.

So 10km in 43:12 mins.

Mile splits 7:31 ; 7:04 ; 6:56 ;  6:22 ; 6:46 ; 6:52 and 6:56 for the 0.25 miles.

So 6:56 min/mile average was a good workout after a long car drive and was totally unexpected.

This is an unofficial PB for 10k. I have never run sub 45 in a proper race. 

Pretty chuffed with myself tonight. image

• Carl D: Thats awesome stuff mate, I remember the first time I went sub 45 at 10k,  was buzzing, so you must be over the moon. It also goes to show that a scenic run can be the difference in a fast time, as it can take you mind off the task at hand. But I would say that as a half Irish runner. image 

BK; Great to hear you've joined a club. That sounded like a right old session you dropped onto for your first time. I would have been sweating buckets. In saying that, we have the dreaded hills as our club session tomorrow.   

Ali: They have sun in Aberdeen?   

So my mileage has been pretty low last couple of weeks, just been running in the many many races i've entered really. (Went a bit crazy with the online entries one bored day in January).    It was the Leeds 10k on Sunday. I was hoping for the elusive sub 40 run, but as the starting gun went the sun came out in full glory that very moment. As temperatures rose, my breathing became more laboured and my legs became more and more disjointed from my minds control. I think the technical term for that is jelly legs. ha ha.     

I thought to myself my goal was probably not on for today, but I would still give it a bloody good go.  I tried to push as hard as I could but after a 6:20 first mile which was bang on target pace, I did a 6:29, 6:40 and 6:38 min / miles. I needed to complete mile 5 in 6 mins flat to stand any chance of clawing it back, so when 6.40 was recorded on my watch I knew it was gone.  In saying that, the last mile was largely under shade so I found another gear and ran the runners equivalent of a consolation goal for my final 1.2 mile.   

Came home in 40.51, which was still a PB, but not the sub 40 I wanted. So close yet so far. I know I can definitely run sub 40 as the heat yesterday much have easily been worth 1-2 minutes on my time.   

Anyway I dont have a autumn marathon to worry about like you guys, so I can continue to focus on my speedwork.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Canter - good to hear from you again. Sounds like it good benefit you from joining the running club, keep us up to date with how it's going.

PS - I've spotted some good runs from you on Strava so training is obviously going well at the moment. I can't remember what your PB is and what you're aiming for at Chester ?

Sean - some cracking races from you on Strava as well, very speedy indeed. How come you aren't doing an Autumn marathon ?

Carl - that was some speedy 10k from you as well, especially considering it was a hilly route. Will you get much chance to go running while you're over there ?

A quiet week for me last week with just 2 runs and 17 miles. It was a deliberately low mileage week as it followed that tough session the week before. I also wanted to go out on a long (for me) bike ride on Saturday. I did 35 miles up in the peaks that took in one of the climbs they did on the tour. My God, I have no idea how I managed to get up the Col de Midhosptones, it seemed so steep and yet it isn't even a mile long ! When I got to the top I had to have a 'moment' to gather myself. For the next 5 miles or so I could hardly pedal, even on the flat sections, even in the lowest gear my bike has got ! After that the legs started working again and I carried on. It was absolutely lashing it down too and all the roads have been resurfaced for the tour so the 5 mile decent I did at about 35 miles an hour certainly had me twitching ! Anyway, it was a really tough ride for me but I seem to be enjoying tough stuff at the moment. It gave me a better appreciation of the boys on the tour and how they manage to go so fast for so long for 3 weeks. Respect to them I say.

In other news, my Autumn plans are now sorted. I'm giving Chester a miss and have entered the Ladybower 50. Should be a piece of cake after the Long Tour of Bradwell in a couple of weeks. My last long training run is planned for this Saturday and I'm hoping to get about 25 miles in with 5000ft of elevation image. Should be tough but I'm now focused on completing it in however long it takes, current training pace would estimate about 7.5 hours.

• Sean that's a fantastic 10k time. Can understand your need to get under 40 mins though. Have you got another 10k race lined up to give it another shot?

Carl I sympathise with your car full of noisy kids. We're driving to the Loire this weekend with 4 in the back. I'll probably kill the husband first though image. Fab run when you got there though. Imagine how fast you can actually go in a race then.

Sorry to hear you're not doing Chester Carter as was looking forward to meeting you for a beer after! I am in awe of your ultra training though. My sister lives in Crow Edge and the tour went right near her house. Are you near there? My training is going ok I think. Getting my runs in plus some core and strength work. My PB (from 2 marathons) is 4:12 but my half times say I should be capable of sub 3:45. If I can get under 4 I'll be so happy. Having done a couple of marathons I am adjusting my expectations! 

So just a core workout and yoga for me this morning. 6 miles easy tomorrow. 

• Canter. Whats your strava name pal, ill look you up pal.

Carter. Doing a spring one, but decided to focus on speed and strength work this summer / autumn. When I read about your autumn plans I misread it at first and though you had entered the ladyblower 50. imageimage

Petite. Out nice and early this morning according to Strava. 5:45 no less. Rather you then me. Im doing the Leeds abbey dash in November which is another fast course, but will possibly look for one more fast one before then.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

You look away for 5mins and there is a mad rush of posts ....

Sean - yes the scenery on the south coast is so much different from running in London and it does give one a spring in one's step.

Great 10k from you even if you did not get that elusive sub 40mins. It is only round the corner I am sure. And with no marathon to worry about you can focus all your effort on cracking this one. 

Carter - not over here for long this time. Just dropping and heading back to work. Back over in a few weeks for a little longer.

Did manage another 7.5miles last night at 7:35 m/m pace. This was much harder on the legs than the 10k the previous night. 

Great that you have finally settled on your races for the autumn. Had a sneaking suspicion that you would do the longer stuff. I am still struggling with the concept of a training run being 25 miles long. You must be made of sterner stuff than me.

PS - good solid training from you. Seems like you are really focussed and getting those runs in. image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Back from our holidays, away for 3 weeks spending most of the time in the Languedoc region near to Beziers. I had some great running whilst I was away and probably ran too much, but it felt good so I went with the flow. There is a canal and salt marshes near to the site so some really good running to be had and it was nice and flat! The site has a running club Tues/Fri which was supposed to be beginners Tues and Advanced Fri, but to be honest it was the same folk on both days and the pack just split up. I partnered with a Dutch sub 3 marathon runner and we had some good tempo runs, at some points hitting 6:45 mm on a 9 mile run which was probably a bit too fast but felt great! I think the S&C work I did before we went really put me in a good place.

Oh well back to work and the madness again, not had much time to catch up properly so please forgive me for being ignorant, but everyone seems to be doing ok...

12 week plan for York starts next week!

Oh and got my GFA for London next year image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - 3 week holiday. That must have been great. And getting a site with a running club too. Those of us with suspicious minds might think you planned the perfect holiday.

Well done for doing so much running and congrats on the GFA for London next year. Is sub 3 hours is your new target after trying it out in international territories ? image

Don't know what is going on with Garmin Connect tonight. It has transferred my running data from my watch but will not let me log in. Another issue I found out is that my watch is not storing the latest running data. It stopped on Jan 16. Must find the setting that is controlling this. If only I knew where to look .... This is where I need a 10 year old to work it out for me.

Anyway tonight I decided that I would try my usual hard hilly run at pace. I must be mad. It was a tad warm. After the exertions on Sunday / Monday I was wondering if the legs and lungs had it in them.

Pleased to say that I did manage the 8 miles at an average of 7:38 min/mile. I could not have squeezed an ounce more of performance out of me. But am pleased with that. 

This is week 1 of my marathon training. Am loosely following a plan. 4 runs minimum. Hills or interval. Tempo. MLR. LSR. I might also throw in a parkrun or a few miles at MP as a separate run. Just got to work through the weekly mileage to make sure I increase it at a steady pace and I am going to throw 3 20 milers in. 

Am adopting the Sean training principle of going with what I want to do and not stressing too much about rigidly following a plan. 

I think there is a good base. It is just a case of mixing it up, putting the miles in and adding a few races. Easy when I say it like this. 

Only thing to work out now is what I think my MP should be.

I am running faster at shorter distances than I used do. Does this mean a faster MP or actually nailing the time I was shooting for in the Spring. Decisions, decisions ....

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

PS - I live in Sheffield  (Nottingham boy but moved up there 5 years ago to be with the missus) so am about a 10 minute drive to the Peak District.  So that's a fair distance from Crow Edge although I have been running up near Dunsford Bridge which isn't too far away. Enjoy your time in France, are you taking your trotters ?

Sean - fnar fnar about Ladyblower ! One of the running podcasts I listen to advocates speedwork before you start your marathon training. Then, when you start doing your longer runs, your easy pace should be quicker due to your speedwork. Makes sense I guess so hopefully that will be the same for you when you start your training for your spring marathon.

Carl - I definitely prefer the longer stuff although training for this first race is tougher than I expected due to the amount of hills. In hindsight, I would have started off with something a bit easier and worked my way up to this one. But hey ho, I'm in it now so will give it my best shot. I like the look of your training plan, it's covering everything you need for a successful training plan. And good to see you aren't trying to cram in that 5th run every week, it will take the pressure off you a bit which can only help. Re your MP, as I'm sure you're well aware, 8:00 min miles will get you under 3:30, which is well within your grasp I reckon. Longer runs at 9:00 min miles and get some MP miles, or a tad faster, in them if you can. You're currently running some hard tempo/hill interval runs at a cracking pace on tired legs so you must be feeling very strong. All the signs are very positive for you nailing it in Chicago.

Nell - welcome back. Are you sure it was a holiday you've been on with all that running ?? Well done on getting the GFA for London as well. Do you always go with a 12 week marathon training plan rather than a longer one ?

This week, I have managed a lunchtime tempo run on Monday and a MLR on the hilly roads on Tuesday night. Whilst my legs are tired due to all these long, hilly, off road runs, I am definitely feeling stronger and I reckon I will start to feel the benefit come marathon training over the winter. An easy run this lunchtime down by the river followed by my last long training run on Saturday.

There seems to be a lot of people on other threads moaning about running in the heat; I suspect they probably moaned about it being too cold during the winter too !! I am finding it OK to be honest, providing I keep the water intake up. How is everyone else finding it ?

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carl, Yes, you could be suspicious. In my defence it is our third visit there and I have never noticed the club before, I have always been out earlier. They head out at 7:30 and I am out about 7:00. I am going for sub 3:10 for York and hopefully a bit more if I can. I will not go for sub 3 for this one, that is a step too far at the moment!

nice 8 miler Carl ;0)

Hi Carter, I use a 16 week plan for the spring and 12 week for the Autumn, I feel after the spring marathon once I get back into things I have not lost too much and reckon 12 weeks is enough. Besides I couldn't do another 16 weeks without getting a little fed up.
    Your running seems to be going well at the moment Carter?

5 miles at an easy/moderate pace this morning. Pretty much 7:50mm. trying to get back to even paced runs. Went to the gym yesterday morning for some S&C and my glutes and thighs are aching a bit today, bit of a shock to the system after 3 weeks without image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Did not have time to get out last night so I decided that I would get up early and go for a stroll.

Not the 5.45 that PS manages but 6.15 was not bad.

5 miles at 8:22 m/m pace and back in the door just after 7am.

It was nice to be out early but not sure I could do it regularly.

Am planning on a parkrun in teh morning and then adding a few more on at the end to get 7-8 miles at MP in.

I will then do a LSR on Sunday.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Evening all. 

What a scorcher today. I made an early start to avoid the heat but by 9:00 I was really hot. Within 200 yards of the start of my run I was faced with a herd of cows on the trail who were indulging in breakfast. I made my way towards them but they were giving me funny looks and started to walk towards me. That was my que to take an early detour into the woods and eventually came back on the trail behind them. 

Then came the first climb of the day up to Win Hill. Most trails in this part of town are technical/rocky so I started the climb and as soon as you start walking you basically have to walk to the top they are that steep. Eventually getting to the top rewarded me with a stunning view of the area. A steady decent, across a few fields then on to the next climb up Lose Hill. More cows ! This time I had nowhere to go so had to turn around and take the other path. Another steep climb and by this time it's really hot. Another technical decent is then followed by the climb I dread up Ringing Roger. This is a real tough one but I get up it and, as usual, I get lost up there. So I had to change my route and ended up back towards Win Hill. Normally, by the 12 mile point, my feet are hurting, but today I had taped my feet in the hope that would help and it did. A stop at the shop for a bottle of coke, water to top up the bladder and I was off again. I made it half way up the next climb and by this point I was spent so headed for the car. A couple of miles later I was done and boy was I ready for a sit down in the shade. 23.6 miles in 6 hours with 4,600ft of climbing. That was the toughest run I've ever done. 

Im still not sure I can complete the race but I'm going for it and let's see what happens

Hello Nell, lovely to hear from you!  A holiday with a running club sounds like heaven actually image

Carl- RE: MP... as you've faced disappointments before due to conditions you can't control on the day, I would be tempted to be more on the conservative than the ambitious side (but still ambitious, and aiming for a time you are capable of...)

And the 'Sean' running plan has worked for him... so why not.

Carter- great running from you.  That last one sounds fantastic.  You were asking about running in the heat.  I ran in heat today, as hot as Aberdeen ever really regularly gets, strong strong sun, temps in the mid 20s, and very humid too.  But personally I actually like the feeling of running in the heat, provided I stay hydrated.  I feel it is easier on my joints than running in the cold.  I always feel quite limber and strong in the heat, but then I am a sun bunny who loves hot weather in general and being outdoors in the sunshine any possible opportunity.

I've had some lovely runs this week.  Since I last reported in almost a week ago, I've had a 4 miler with one of my friends (not my usual running bud, a bit faster which was nice for me), a 10 miler with the same friend on Wednesday (though we took a very hilly, coastal, trail route... Carter you would have been proud... we had to walk some of it) another 4 miles last night after work, and then 6.2 miles today with my usual running chum in the glorious sunshine.  It was lovely.  Tomorrow I will go out again and think if I feel up to it I'll do something a bit longer.

I was going to do this Ballater 10 miler tomorrow, but I don't think I am.  Combination of already having done a 10 miler on Wednesday (which was fairly impromptu) and being quite tired this week.

But I do have some other races lined up which I'm looking forward to.

Dyke 10k 9th August (would love to get a new 10k PB)

Perthshire HM 6th September (pacing my friend, so just a good training run for me)

Linlithgow 10k 28th September (my hometown- and a great race!!! Well worth a visit, Nell!!!)

It's my last week at my work before I begin my teaching course next month.  4 more work days to go image

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Nice 5 Carl, hope you got your run in over the weekend...

Hi carter, Good running from you. remember on the day the Adrenalin will kick in and as long as the body holds out I guess a fair portion of it will be keeping positive mentally...

Hi Ali, Glad to hear you are enjoying your running. Linlithgow noted, I will also let my wife know on that one ;0)

Out for 10 this morning just a bit faster than easy to moderate pace, 7:30-45. Avg pace 7:32 which was just about right all round. Not as hot as yesterday thankfully this morning. My wife gave up after 3 miles yesterday as it was unbearable..