RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• I think the most important thing for me is to lose some timber to make sure ALL of my running is easier and therefore more enjoyable. So, I think I am going to give it a proper go on the LCHF plan and make sure I do it right this time. The key thing for me will be to control my alcohol consumption. Previously, I have been fine during the week and eaten a healthy diet but come the weekend I have had plenty of beers which then results in snacking on rubbish food and eating takeaways and before too long one day a week like that becomes two and then three...

If I do it right my body should adapt a lot quicker than on my first attempt. During this period I am going to follow the Maffetone method, which is basically running at a certain heart rate level. At some stage, I will then be able to increase the intensity and mileage depending how I feel. If I am in good shape come April then I can go for a PB attempt, if not there will always be other races

• Carter Same here pal. Generally i'm fine Monday - Thursday, however commeth the weekend, commeth the beer monster. Like you say its a two-fold effect also, as when the beer is imbibed the kebab shop gets dialled (lol thats a motto I may use from now on). It also doesn't help me when I have a chipper, Italian and curry takeaway 30 metres from my house (garmin measured) .

So i've jumped on board this dry january lark, but am also extending mine to Februrary if needed, or when I shed 1 stone, or whichever comes first.

Then when I get to this weight, im confident my race times will fall across the board. 

Sounds easy eh. 

• Sean - I share your pain mate. At the end of our road is a selection of eateries and the smell is always wafting in our direction during opening hours. These thinnies don't understand how hard it can be sometimes !

"the beer is imbibed the kebab shop gets dialed" - like it !

• I'm exactly the same -  body is a temple Monday - Thursday and then come Friday evening it's wine o'clock and it all goes wrong. I'm not overweight but I know that I run faster when I'm 7-10lb lighter than I am now. I'm not sure that the idea of a cheat day works for me as then I end up pigging out all day and then that becomes Friday - Sunday so nearly 3 days.

So just 4 miles steady this morning complete with my Xmas food baby. How on earth I managed to run up to 30 weeks pregnant when now I'm struggling carrying a few extra pounds I'll never know. Tomorrow I have to do 4 miles easy and then my 45 minute plyo workout. That means I am going to have to get up at 5.15 to be all finished before 7. Heaven help me. On the upside pilates starts again tonight.

• Ha Carter - do I really strike you as the kind of person sits around on my bum all day? image

• Sean- The Wishart Restaurant at Leith seems to do a similar idea to the others I'd mentioned and gets great reviews on Tripadvisor- I don't know anyone who's been there so can't comment from that point of view.  Nell you could tell us any nice places you've been in Edinburgh?

Carter- don't know when I find out about the other thread, low chances I think but nothing ventured nothing gained. image

Carter/PS/Sean- Totally feel you on the temptations of wine and bad food.  However for me I'm more of a little and often cheater.  It's not like I'll eat healthy most of the week then have a bad weekend.  I eat healthy most of the day but then there's always the one chocolate, pack of crisps, or glass of wine just stopping me being totally virtuous.  I never seem to binge on either alcohol or junk food but it does make tiny little regular appearances in my diet all the same.

Yesterday I had a rest day from running but did do the 1.3 miles to the gym as a run to warm up, then spent just over half hour in the gym doing core strength and upper body.  Quick but efficient, was a really good workout.  Today I'm doing 5m with some fast sections, going to head out soon and go along the canal near me which I didn't know was so close but a chap on the Manchester thread told me about it image

Have a good Tuesday everyone

• Ali what am I missing? Should I be voting for you for something?

Enjoy your run!

• PS - well if you hadn't been sat on your bum all day !! image

• No voting PS don't worry I've just entered to be in with the chance of getting 'mentored' through Manchester marathon as Carter did originally in this thread with his mentor Spoons.

Carl has entered too.

Today I did 5 miles.  Was meant to have 8 x 90sec fast, 90 sec slow in the middle.  However a multitude of things stopped me doing 8 90 sec bursts at a time... big puddles to navigate, walkers I had to stop to get around, slippy areas... so I had to do some shorter fast sections.

Ended up: 2 miles warm up. Then 5 x 90 sec fast, 90 sec slow.  Then 3 x 1 minute fast, 1 minute slow.  Then 3 x 30 sec fast, 30 sec slow.  Then cool down.  So still the same amount of fast/slow time as the planned run.

Felt soo tired by the end but had planned to go to the gym so I did, 15 mins easy on the bike then a core strength and squat routine, now for a nice hot bath.... aaaah!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    That was a real spur of the moment thing by me today. I had no intention of entering and then I did. Must have banged my head.

As I blatantly disregarded the instructions on word count I will probably not be considered in any case.

No idea who the mentors are and if there is anyone appropriate for the time I have indicated I want to shoot for - as close to 3:30 as I can get.

Ali I hope they do not put is in the same category when trying to make a decision but if they do I genuinely want you to get it .
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Going out for a run now.
  • Hi PS, usamarathonlist.com lists a few marathons in New York if that is any use, but after the New Jersey one.... Yes, I suppose it would not be much fun being on holiday the week before a marathon...

Early rise, you too have crossed over to the insanity region ...nice here isn't it PS?

Hi Carter, Hardrock looks nice, but no thanks :0) I don't look too deep into my diet. I just try and eat sensible and keep the diet well balanced. I am not a huge drinker so that helps I suppose.

Nice splits and 5k run Sean, regarding Edinburgh The Secret Garden at The Witchery is a nice restaurant if you have a bit of spare cash. Kyloe above The Rutland is a good steak restaurant. Their steak's are to die for. My favourite restaurant in the centre is the Grain Store on Victoria Street, nice relaxing place and we have always had lovely service there. You can get a great Indian at Mother India (they have one in Glasgow too Ali). Cafe Andaluz on George street is nice if you fancy Spanish. I don't do Michelin star restaurants, overpriced... Is this a running forum??

Hi Ali/Carl, Good luck with your mentoring ;0)

Hi Ali, Getting a bit of S&C in then eh? Good to get a good base in before the miles kick in... yes I got a PB at Alloa last year 1:30:32 and then broke it again at the Scottish HM with 1:28 (would have been better if the course wasn't measured too long). Hoping for better at Alloa this year if it is not blowing a gale again!

Hi Carl, Hope the run went well?

I like Ali went for a bit of S&C at the gym yesterday morning. Good session but I was feeling it this morning. Went out for 5 miles and legs felt pretty leaden. Got in 5 miles at 7:14 mm average. Pretty wet and windy today..

• Pace session done ! Nice set of 6x 800m fast 200m recovery jog image  ^m easy on the dreadmill yesterday.  

Petite : Im with you, not giving up my Friday wine night !  need to think nutrition though, not a bog eater and hoing to need to fuel up ALOT better if im going to make the long, long runs !!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Well that was tough.

Went out the door and it was a tad colder than I thought and I had no real idea of what I was going to do other than I did not fancy intervals.

So I set off and as I rounded the corner at the end of the street decided that a progressive tempo was the order of the day.

I was aiming for about 10s quicker every mile.

8:00 ; 7:43 ; 7:33 ; 7:24 ; 7:14 ; 7:08 and 8:28 to finish.

7 miles in 7:37 m/m average.

On mile 6 the legs refused to go any faster and despite trying to get under 7:05 could not quite manage it.

Nell your 5 miles with heavy legs were much faster than my 7 miles with not so heavy legs. it is all relative I guess.

Ali - some good running and S&C stuff going on with you at the mo. Seems like you are getting back in the groove ready for an assault on some new PB's.

Carter - that diet looks tough. Be careful with it as with all things it will take some getting used to. I thought we needed carbs to run. Kit is just about not taking too many carbs. I try and be sensible but admit to having a sweet tooth and do not always manage. So everytime I need to loose a few pounds (like now to get to my running weight) I track my food intake on MyFitness Pal and this has graphs that show the relative intake of carbs to protein / fats. I guess it helps as it usually works.

Sean - sounds like you will be having a blast in Edinburgh. From the recent running stories you have shared with us it sounds like ideal training !!

PS - is there a half marathon option at New Jersey that weekend ? Maybe you could run that instead and a weeks holiday will hardly play havoc with that.

• Ali - those 90 second sprints sound tough going, rather you than me ! It sounds like you have now settled into a routine where you can fit your running and gym in around your work. Are you still enjoying the studying/working ?

Nell - is the Witchery on the restaurant on George Street that's got the rooftop terrace ? If so, I think I ate there when I was working in Edinburgh a few years ago. 

PS - have you managed to settle on a pace for your long runs yet ?

Washwood - I'm not a bog eater either !! (I assume you meant big eater ?). I think the Friday wine night is a good thing if you consume in moderation; and that's where the problem lies for me at the weekend. How do you currently fuel your long runs ?

Carl - the diet should take about 6 weeks before I am adapted; in the meantime it will be very slow runs for me so I will have to dust off the HRM. A very impressive progressive tempo run indeed yesterday; you always seem to nail this sort of session. Good luck with the pitch and getting a mentor, I will be following carefully if you succeed.

An easy 8 miles planned for me this evening, subject to how Mrs C is feeling as she is at the doctors today.

• Carter no I haven't but I guess if I'm going for a sub 4 time then I should be looking at running them around 10 mins per mile shouldn't I? Sub 4 this spring, sub 3:45 (which was what I was aiming for with my first attempt in autumn 2013) at Chicago or NY.

Nell thanks for the website I've had a good look at it. I keep coming back to New Jersey or Long Island. I'm edging towards Long Island now as I think it will end up being closer to where we will live and it is a week later (3 May or thereabouts) which just gives me that bit more time if training slips with the move/jet lag/injury etc.

Like Carter I'm not a bog eater either image

Carl that looks like a very tough session. Was it in the evening you were running? The gritters were out last night around us but when I went out this morning it wasn't that cold. I use myfitnesspal too. It consistently declares that my diet is woefully lacking in iron and calcium

So out this morning at 6am to do 4 miles slow followed by my plyometric work out when I go home. I hate that flipping stuff. It had better make me speedy.

• Carl you did a great pitch on the other thread.  You are very dedicated and do deserve help with your marathon goal as Carter said.  I have my fingers crossed for you image

Nell- forgot you broke 1:30 in the HM.  Do you have a goal for Alloa this year then?  It's a tough one because it has a history of the weather being bad which can have a big effect.

Washwood- nice treadmill sesh.  I like doing fast workouts on the treadmill too.  It allows me to enforce a certain speed which maybe I wouldn't hit consistently on my own.

Carl- great progressive run.  You seem to hit great times during a 6/7 mile run... like I bet you could beat your 5k PB in the middle of a longer run.

Carter- I am finding the study/work/running balance difficult but I am dedicating myself to Manchester, I want to give it the best shot possible.  Plus I feel at the start of a new year it's easier to give your all to a big exercise push.  Lots of other people are doing it and you can chat over your goals with them.  I have a couple of friends who are getting into running/fitness in a more serious way and I'm going to do some sessions with them over the next couple of weeks.  I hope this routine can last, I am giving it my all.

PS- generally speaking sub 4 goal would negate a 10 min mile or so pace for long runs.  I've always aimed for that in my marathon training schedules but later in the programmes I've found my long runs happening at more like 9:00-9:30 pace and as long as it still feels easy that's OK.  I know you can make your sub 4 goal, but yes, treating your long runs with the right attitude will be part of that.  Go easy and let yourself reap the benefits in endurance.

• Ali, know what you mean about faster sessions on the mill, so glad I have ine so I can still train when other half away and kids at home. Id much rather be out but if needs must its a pretty good treadmill from a manufacturer return place so alot of machine for a good price. Got a decent set up in the garage with mill, and turbo trainer infornt of dvd/tv and speakersimage   Just need a rower and a weight machine (got free weights in there) and we all set lol 

Anyway 5 mile 8 building up to 7.30 pace today and ready for a rest day tomorrow ! Already feeling hungrier !!

• Hi Carl, Are you going to build in some S&C into your plan? Nice 7 miles there, early days yet and I am sure you will be finding it a lot easier soon

Hi Carter, I think you are thinking of Rick's on Frederick Street? The Witchery is on the Royal Mile just down from the castle. Hoping the 8 miles went ok?

Hi PS, I suppose you will be on your taper so the miles won't be as extreme.

Hi Ali, Hopefully you can find the right balance for your Manchester training. Yes, you are right. Alloa can be a bit hit or miss I guess. If the weather is ok on the day I would hope for a good run and hopefully break 1:30 again. We will see

Hi Washwood, Nice session..

Well with the 30 mph winds outside today I am afraid I had to relent and head down to the gym for an interval session today. I just couldn't face it in the wind! Ran about 10k in all 50 mins. Warm up and cool down with 6 x 800 metres @ 16kmph with 400 metre recoveries @ 12kmph. I was soaked at the end of it. Not a pretty sight image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sean - really impressed with your sub 20 mins on the Gladstone parkrun. As you say it is two laps with hills so you must have been on fire. I will do it a few more times this year and see can I get sub 22 mins.

PS - it was a tough session indeed. Was still feeling it when I went out today. It was early evening and not as late as I normally run but it was still cold. I think it is teh wind. But most likely mild compared to what you have if thr gritters are out.

Carter - 6 weeks is not too long if you can stick it out. Will be interested to hear your journey.

Ali - I think my OH would say I am mad not dedicated. Anyway it is nothing too serious.

You are right though. I can knock out some good times on the shorter stuff but need to get going first. Turning up and going out of the traps like the clappers is not something I can do. Somehow I need to improve on this so I can get the 5k and 10k times down. And of course converting this into a decent time over the marathon is the quest. 

Washwood - seems you nearly have the gym at home. I would probably use a treadmill if I had one at home. It is the hassle of going all the way to the gym and overheating and then needing to come home. Takes so much  time. And that was how I got into running outdoors.

Nell - A good session from you on the treddy too from you. Probably sensible given the weather you are having.

A steady 9 miler from me tonight at an easyish 8:27 m/m pace overall. Legs were very heavy after last nights efforts and it all felt a little laboured. But it was good miles to get under the belt so I will take that.

• PS - yep, 10:00 minute miles should ideally be the easy pace for your longer runs.

Ali - I find having a routine definitely helps with my training. Good to hear that you're enjoying life at the moment. Whereabouts in Glasgow are you living ?

Washwood - maybe you could open your garage as a gym and charge the public to use the facilities !

Nell - I can't really remember the name of the restaurants and pubs, there are that many up there. I do remember the whiskey heritage centre though !!

Carl - I intend to provide you with all the gory details of my journey ! I've had a word with M...eldy and asked if I can mentor you image

No run for me yesterday as Mrs C not well. Cooking, shopping and dog walking for me when I got home. Off out at lunchtime today instead

• 6 'easy' miles for me at lunchtime. I went down the canal and along the river with a couple of friends from work. It was an extremely easy pace; well, under normal circumstances it would have been but this is how it's going to be for the next few weeks...

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - sounds like a good run. What are your running plans for the next few weeks while you adjust to eating meat and butter ? (an oversimplification of your nutritional plans I know but ... ) 

• Hi Carter, Yes a visit to the Whisky Heritage centre would not be forgotten image

Hi Carl, Nice 9 miles after the session the other day.

Like you Carl my legs were feeling a bit heavy after the interval session yesterday. Went out for 5 miles this morning at 7:26mm average.

• washwood- your garage gym sounds great!  I'd love that!

Nell- I too avoided bad weather conditions today with an indoor run.  This storm that's meant to be coming for us at the weekend however shall not get in the way of my long run....

Carl- good 9 miles, well done.

Carter- are any of your workmates you were running with training for anything in particular or is there just a few of you who like running together?

Today I did 5 miles on the treadmill and a 'Total Body Workout' class at the gym (45 mins).  It was exactly as promised on the tin, a workout for the whole body.

Mix of cardio stuff like burpees, squat thrusts, running, then body weight stuff like squats, lunges, press ups.  And a lot of exercises with dumbells, a lot of which I had not done before.  Feeling the burn already!

• Carl - I will be running very slowly indeed. Any sort of exertion is likely to result in bonking. 

Ali - one of the blokes is training for a triathlon and an autumn marathon. The other does mainly trail/fell stuff and he is training for the Edale Skyline, which is a 21 mile fell race and extremely tough. 

• How is everyone doing ?

Todays run was 10.5, found it  hard as quite tired :/     Managed to get down to 8.20 ave so getting a bit slower, concerned ill get injured or burn out if I dont slow it down !!   Also what pace would you do your tempo runs ??   Lots of questions as really no idea what im doing at mo !   I think 8.30 to 8.45 pace is sensible aim for marathon pace ?

How has everyone elses training gone ? image

OOhh and its Friday so wine night image

• Washwood - what's your marathon target time ? Don't mention alcohol !!! I'm on the wagon

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - do not want you bonking on a training run now do we. You can still get decent mileage in if you keep the pace easy and this way the only thing you are not adding is the speedier stuff. Now we know that conventional training plans call for a mixture of slow / easy and speed sessions but sometimes (as Sean regularly shows us image) unconventional plans deliver great results.

It could be that you get to Manchester more refreshed than everyone else and are able to go for it.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Washwood - cannot remember if you ever told us what your target time was going to be. Training too fast will most definitely lead to burnout long before marathon day and that would be a shame. All that effort and then the marathon becomes a bit of a slog which being your first and London it most definitely should not be. It is something to be enjoyed (and any pain is temporary, the memories last a life time).

Most training plans set out guide paces for different types of runs using traditional race  descriptions e.g. 5 miles tempo at HM pace; 4 x 1 mile intervals at 10k pace or 12 miles easy with 4 miles at MP.

If you were chasing a 4 hour finish time, your MP should be approx 9:10 min miles.

Your HM pace 8:42 m/m ; 10k pace 8:14 m/m

And the general rule of thumb is that LSR's should be run at anything from 30s to 90s slower than your MP.

There are loads of race pace calculators out there on tinternet but most swear by the McMillan one as being the most accurate. If you plug different finish times in here it will give you a good idea.

And of course at this stage of your training they should only be guides as it is best not to finally settle on your MP for race day until you are much closer and can factor in how training has gone.

And of course it also depends on what kind of training plan you are following s you need to make sure that you do not overtrain and have too many fast runs back to back as then the legs and body have no recovery time. This is why slow and easy runs need to be run slow and easy as they do actually help in the recovery process.

But of course we will all have an opinion on what your pace should be so when you remind us of your target we will have a go at helping you .......