Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I was too tired to go out last night. No idea why but did not feel that there was any juice in the tank so as I was planning a interval session on the track gave it a skip. Would have been a wasted session and as they are so tough there was no point.

But got it in today before the rain descended again !!! Must be grim for those of you up North.

2 miles warm up, followed by 6 800m intervals with 400m walk / jog in between and then 2 miles cool down.

Ran the w/u at 8:06 min/mile pace. Maybe a tad fast.

6 x 800m  -

3:21

3:19

3:16

3:17

Closed out with 2 miles c/d at 8:32 m/m pace.

Legs have been a tad tired since. I cannot say that I enjoy this session when I am doing it. The lungs are burning and it feels as if I am not going that quick even though I cannot move the arms and legs any faster. 

But another 8.5 miles added to the running piggy bank. It is going to be wet here in the morning so am not going to do park run. Might get a few easy miles in to get the weekly mileage up and LSR planned for Sunday.

What is everyone else up to this weekend ? image

• Options

Hi, I think im prob going to aim for 3.45ish so 8.30ish pace. I know I need to be running 9 mm at least for long run but really finding it hard! Am running with others next week so chatting should help me hit that image Im such a novice !!!   Im just used to HM training where i was doing 7.45 ovr these shorter long run distances. As I say, once we get 16m plus im sure Ill slow !

Good luck on the wagon Carter ! 

• Options

Very good intervals Carl, well done!

Just back from a parkrun in Glasgow which I had not done before.

30mph winds, branches on the course, puddles to jump, and then at the end, snow.  Can you tell that I'm building up to the fact I did a PW 5k time?image I think about 25:54 or so... and let me tell you it felt like I was running 2 minutes quicker with the effort I had to put in just to keep going against the wind.

Nice to see a new parkrun course though.  Did Victoria parkrun, which is a 3 and a bit lap course of a lovely park centred around a nice pond.  Only one short section of uphill running, which of course is repeated three times, and the rest fairly flat but today given the storms in Scotland was a little bit 'exciting' at times with flooded sections and a bit of debris.

Met an old friend as we haven't seen each other for ages so we agreed to get together at parkrun.  He lost a good deal of weight through running and got quite fast, but was telling me he hasn't done much in the last 6 months or so and was a good bit slower than me today.

If the weather stays like this I am NOT looking forward to my long run tomorrow. I'm almost (don't shoot me Carter) considering doing 2 hours on a treadmill rather than face the outdoors.  The wind is just something else.

• Options

Just saw my official time, 25:52. 15th out of 75 ladies which shows it was a pretty slow day... and lots of people who hit a similar time to me also have a PB of between 22 and 23 mins so that made me feel a bit better about my time!

• Options

Hi Carl, Nice intervals and some good mileage coming in...

Hi Washwood, Once the training plan get's in full flow for London, after your interval and MP/Tempo runs during the week you will relish taking the pace down on those LSR's image

Hope you are still dry Carter?

Hi Ali, Yes, I wouldn't beat yourself up about times this morning it was pretty brutal in places with the wind. I think tomorrow is not to be so windy, but wet! image

I went out this morning and just got in before there was a big snow shower....phew! Pretty windy this morning, but I guided myself around so that I was dodging the wind the best I could, even though that involved hitting more inclines. Just shy of 11 miles at 7:25mm pace. Off to see if Hibs can keep the form going this afternoon image

• Options

back a wee while from just over 2 miles nice and easy to shake the legs out after parkrun and take my total for the day to 5.2 miles. image

Nice running Nell. You seem invincible to the wind. 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - well done for braving the conditions and getting out for the park run this morning. It cannot have been easy as you say it had a few additional obstacles just to make it interesting. The time was not that important. And adding the 2 miles later in the day was great. Looks like you are well and truly back into the swing of things.

Nell - once again you are showing good form. Pretty windy up there from looking at the news so any run is a good run. If I ran 11 miles at that pace you would need to order an ambulance !! Training looks to be going well.

No running from me today but planning it get up early and go for a run before to much movement gets going in my house.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

How is everyone today ? Anyone been running ? Has the weather settled down up north yet. Beautiful clear blue skies here in London early this morning and the wind had eased so perfect conditions for an early morning run. Well early by my standards and a few hours after both Nell and PS would be out image

I set off with nothing fixed other than 10 -12 miles. Not quite long enough for an LSR and probably the top end of a MLR. So took in an undulating route and circular route that took in both Hampstead Heath and Regents Park. 

Plenty of runners and cyclists out enjoying the conditions.

Completed 12 miles in just over 1hr 40mins so approx 8:23m/m pace.

A nice run to finish off the week. 37 miles this week.

Now must sort out the details of my training plan.

• Options

Hi all

Carl- great mileage this week.  How high will it go in your training plan?  You're doing so well.

I was due 11 miles today but decided on 12 to take my weekly mileage up to 30.  It has been pouring rain, stormy and very very windy all day here.  I kept waiting about thinking, it might get better soon, it might... but it never did.  So 3 hours ago I went out and it was truly hellish.  I was wearing full length tights, hat and gloves, LS top and water proof jacket... 'waterproof' not really justified as I was still soaked underneath.

I did a hilly 12 mile loop.  It felt shit.  I was battling the wind and I didn't enjoy it at all.  And it was at 11 min mile pace average.  I had to walk in a few places.  I look at paces like yours Carl and it discourages me a bit, because I think how can he do that and find OK, and I'm struggling away and hoping to run a 4 hour marathon?

I'm feeling a little discouraged but at the same time proud that I went out and did it despite the conditions.  I am determined not to miss any of these long runs and so I'll make myself do it no matter what.

30 miles, plus an exercise class, and plenty of core and strength work for me this week.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - that is a great week for you and really well done for braving horrible conditions to get some good miles in. You got hills in and kept the pace nice and easy which is great. In all honesty I was a tad too fast today. I was surprised how wet my top was today when I got back in home and it was not even raining so can imagine it all that rain and the effort is was not so nice underneath a waterproof.

I am not exactly sure what I will top out at in training. I am guessing it will be 50 - 60 miles which will need 5 runs minimum per week. The Hansons plan requires 6 runs per week and I need to have a think this week if that is something I can really commit to.

I would not be at all discouraged if I was you. You have been building your way back into this over the last few weeks. You have got the weekly mileage up. You have been doing loads additional stuff on top. So building a good base. What you need to concentrate on in your marathon training is some intervals / tempo runs and these will quickly give you confidence that you can nail the sub 4. Today was a tough day at the office and was more about the miles than the pace. You nailed the miles so bank them and move on.

What training plan are you following and how much faster stuff does it have in it ?

• Options

Thanks Carl, wise as ever really.

I'm following the RW Intermediate plan, I used it before with varying success but I like it, it's fairly simple and straightforward.  In terms of faster stuff it tends to have one interval run per week, also one hill repeat run per week, and then as the weeks go on there is quite a bit of the longer runs at marathon pace.  So I should be good if I stick with it.  I did manage my interval session this week and though it was hard I enjoyed it as it feels like it will be a key to improving.

• Options

Yikes, you guys are hardcore ! 12 hilly miles ! I did my 10 on friday. Today was a steady 4 which I enjoued around the not too windy Oxfordshire countryside. Nice little 6 miler to do tomorrow image Might go off road round the forest for it image

• Options

Morning all.

Ali - there is no way you should be feeling discouraged by your running over the weekend. The weather was helllacious where I am so much worse where you are. It was one of those runs where you felt awful, walked a bit, got batter by the weather but where you will feel the benefits later in your training. The fact that you didn't enjoy it but managed to complete it shows how mentally strong you were; again, another positive for later in your plan. It's ticked off the list now so just forget about and move on to your next session.

Washwood - a lot of us on here have found running the longer runs 'slowly' the hardest part of our training. It just feels so unnatural but it definitely pays dividends if you can stick to it. As Carl says, we don't want your burning yourself out too early. 'Not too windy Oxfordshire' sounds ideal right now.

Nell - I was thinking of you as I was watching the XC at the weekend. It was from Holyrood House and it was a complete mudfest, of course Arthur's Seat was in the background and it was snowing. Have you had to resort to wearing a jacket yet ??

Carl - 37 miles before you've even started your training plan is seriously good going. You a certainly back in the groove now. Hope things are ok at work these days. And no, the weather hasn't settled up north yet !

• Options

I went out for my MLR on Saturday morning with the idea of going as far as I could up to about 16 miles. I wanted to get as little incline in as possible as I knew it was going to be tough due to the new diet but, as you know, living where I do it's really difficult to find many roads that are fairly flat. The wind was blowing an absolute howler in the morning but for the first time in ages I 'manned up' on went out.

Well, within a mile it was tough going; the legs were already feeling tired and I just felt empty. I headed up a long steady climb to get to some flatter land and when I got to the top I was nearly blown off my feet in the wind. I had my HRM on but like the fool I am I forgot to sync it to my watch. I thought I was doing well as my watch wasn't beeping at me ! I found it really tough going and I was going as slow as possible, which was about 10:30 min miles; even this felt hard at times. This was also a fasted run so I had not eaten for about 16 hours, I just took on some water during the run and that was it. I could mention again how tough it was but I suspect I am already boring you with this. I only had to walk once which was towards the end of the run and it was a particularly steep climb. But, I managed to complete 14 miles without bonking and I was completely done in but very happy to have completed the run. I got home, showered and then had a big lunch of bacon, eggs and mushrooms which didn't take me long to devour. I felt quite good quite quickly after that.

Yesterday evening I went out and managed another 5.5 miles at an average of 10:32 min miles. The wing had calmed somewhat but I still found it hard going and the legs could feel the previous days longish run. So, I completed the week on 30 miles which is a good, but belated, start to marathon training.

On another note, yesterday saw me hit day 9 of no alcohol. Yes, day 9; this must be some sort of record for me ! I also had a weigh in and in the the last week I've lost half a stone so I'm feeling a lot better at the moment.

Have a good week everyone

• Options

Morning all!

Lots of great running in very horrible weather conditions over the weekend. I did 5 miles steady on Saturday and then 9 miles LSR yesterday. Both felt ok although of course my LSR was too fast. Total of 27 miles for week 1 of marathon training plus 1 yoga session, 1 pilates class, 1 plyometric workout, 1 strength workout and 1 core workout. Plus a partridge in a pear tree.

Husband has gone off to the States today until Saturday morning. This of course has put me in a complete spin as to how I am going to get my runs in this week. I'm trying to cobble together little windows in the day when I should be working to dash out. At least it is early in the plan so the runs aren't too long at the mo.

Well done on the alcohol free weekend Carter! My wine was nice image

• Options

Petite a good weeks training for you. Know where you are coming from RE husband being away! Mine has only gone for 2 nights this week so I can fit runs in on day off and treadmill, but a week in states next month is going to throw things if its half term !!! Oh well Ill sort it somehowimage 

6 slow/steady today, appetite starting to increase already, but resisisting the urge to go for the bread bin ....... trying to cut right back on bread :/

• Options

Carter, interesting reading about your last run. WHat is the diet you are on? think I missed the post i am thinking alot about how to fuel at mo and getting it right, I run after school drop and generally cant eat for 2 to 3 hours before a run :/ so porridge is a favourite for these runs but I never quite know what to eat the night before, I fin pasta quite difficult to digest  and quinoa seems the same :/  

• Options

Washwood - I'm on a low carb high fat diet. I can eat as much bacon as I like !! Basically, my lunch will be chicken, gammon, fish and salad for lunch and meat plus veg for my dinner. I can cook my veg in cream, each a fair bit of cheese, have mayo in my salad etc. It's tricky convincing yourself that eating all of these high fat foods is going to be good for you but it seems to be quite popular at the moment. Carbs are the enemy for me at the moment !

• Options

So is that basically Atkins Carter? Is your breath smelling really bad too? image

Washwood I only ever eat before a long run, the rest I do on an empty stomach always in the hope that I'm burning some of my fat stores. Never seems to quite work though! If all else fails you can always eat jelly babies.

I had a quick look at the Asics sub 4 forum earlier. Looked like there was all sorts of disagreement over the winner who ran Edinburgh last year without a number. Hmmm.

Then I started to think about how on earth I ended up on this forum as it's years old but hey we're all kind of used to each other and our funny ways now aren't we? image

• Options

Oh and Carter I've been wearing my new socks. They look EPIC teamed with capris (tights that finish below the knee before you start to claim again you don't know what they are). Just like full lenght tights but plain black at the top and then all bright and stripey at the bottom. I have no idea why my children rolled around laughing when they saw me in them yesterday. They obviously haven't inherited my amazing sense of style.

• Options

Petite I have been banned from buying any compression socks image husband said NO NO NO !!!!     I think Ill aim to get up early enough for porrisge before long riuns and rest I should be OK. Will play around with diff meals night before and see what works for me. I enjoy cooking so shouldnt be a chore image    I just know Im trying to avoid too much bread as I know Im not brilliant with it, odd slice/roll is ok but too much isnt good which is gutting as I LOVE it. 

Carter : Would that mean I can eat Lots of choc ..... ???  

• Options

Carter- well done on the diet, weight loss, no alcohol, and long run.  A hero amongst us image  Thank you for the reassurance on my run.  I have to be realistic and realise that 11 min miles in awful conditions are not the same as 11 min miles in still weather and sunshine.  I KNOW I am capable... as you say on and up.

PS- I love compression stuff, have compression socks and compression calf sleeves, I must admit to being a bit vain and thinking they look cool so and not ashamed of that.  Yes I saw the 'controversy' on the sub 4 Asics thread.  Bad thing to do, being a race bandit, but let's be honest it's hardly up there with the worst crimes of today... people acted like she'd murdered someone...

washwood- my favourite night before a long run meal is probably pizza.  Or macaroni cheese.  Something that feels like a right treat as well as fuel.  I have never done a low carb thing like Carter- I rely too heavily on carbs as my main fuel.  We will see how it works for him, which so far, seems to be very well.

• Options

Do you have patterned ones Ali?  If so where from? I get mine from the RunMummyRun kitstop but am always on the look out for more! Washwood tell your husband he knows nothing and get some in your life!

Ali you are a great runner with good experience. It will all come together in time for April I know it. 

• Options

PS - the way I do it I believe it is pretty much Atkins. I am such a fussy eater that I don't like all the 'fancy dan' foods the real LCHFers do. No dog breath yet, well, no more than normal anyway  Are you going to post a picture of your new socks ?

Washwood - I've given up bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. i think you can have a couple of chunks of 70% dark chocolate if I remember correctly but I'm not the biggest fan really so don't miss it. 

Ali - hardly a hero !! I'm not yet missing the alcohol which is a massive surprise. I am however struggling to quit the coffee. I can build it into my daily allowance so it's not the end of the world 

• Options

Boys - come and help me out. The girls have taken over and are talking about clothes, how long before they move on to shoes !! Let's have some proper talk about football, getting drunk etc !!

• Options

Hi Carl, Sounds a nice run yesterday. Nice pace too and sounds like you enjoyed it. I take it you are still going to use Hansons? Will you be building a plan from the book?

Hi Ali, I wouldn't beat yourself up about the pace yesterday. If it was anything like over here it was truly miserable and just getting out there shows you have the character to succeed

Hi Carter, Well done on the long run, the second run is your easy run so that should be slow anyway... Well done on the diet and no alcohol. Funny, I did get the jacket out this weekend with the terrible weather but stuck to shorts

Hi PS, The socks and capris sound great, is there any photographic evidence? I actually got a cool from my son when I came in from my run the other day in my montane beanie... and it was a freebie. I am the same, usually run on empty stomach apart from the LR's when they get to 16 miles.

Hi Washwood, Porridge is about the best for a pre-run I think. The night before I don't worry about it too much, just try to avoid the obvious bad ones like curry etc..

I went out for 5 miles yesterday at 7:14 mm average. It was very windy and wet with a bit of snow. Character building! Gym today for some S&C...looks like a windy week ahead.

• Options

Carter, I went to see Hibs on Saturday. After watching them throw away a 3-1 lead I am off talking football at the moment. Although Birmingham won! imageimage 

• Options

I don't have patterned socks PS, but do have rather cool Nike calf sleeves which look and feel amazing.

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/pro-tiger-print-calf-sleeves/pid-10250861/pgid-10250862?cp=EUNS_KW_PL_UK_Nike_Pro_Tiger_Print_Calf_Sleeves

Thanks PS good words.

Anyway I didn't mention earlier but I did 3 miles recovery today at 9:50 pace, plus some upper body work in the gym after uni.  Nice day.

• Options

Im a fan of quite funky running gear so would love some patterned socks ! Hmm while OH is away maybe some may just drop into the online basket ..... Its not like he ever runs with me anyway image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Are we talking about shoes now Carter. Well I do need a new pair of running shoes and was thinking of getting coloured ones this time round rather than plain boring white which become grey very quickly. What do you think ? image