RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Will catch up with everything including BPC (which sounds gross) later.

I did manage to get out last night despite it being very cold and windy. Nearly got blown off my feet going over the top of Pimrose Hill. The views of the London skyline were fabulous as it was such a clear night. 

If it is cold and horrible here so it must be awful up north. So really impressed with anyone getting out.

A solid 8 miles at 8:30 min miling last night. 

Have plans to go out again late this afternoon as when I get home the house will be full of 8 /  9 year old girls having some sort of girlie activity until 7pm. image

• Hi Ai, Well done on the intervals, sensible not doing them outside at the moment.

Hi Washwood, Good running, where are you based?

Hi Carter, That is super news on the weight loss. If you have an ache in the back you may be leaning forward too much from the hips. When running your body should simulate a straight line from your ankles to the crown of your head....sorry if sucking eggs comes to mind..... still not sold on the coffee!

Hi Carl, Well done on getting out, it is a bit of a battle at the moment out there, but I would rather that than the treadmill. I am only resorting to the intervals on the treadie at the moment in this weather...

Gym session today

• More miles ticking over Carl, well done.

Nell- deffo a day for the gym

I went out and ran almost 4 miles at an easy pace today in the middle of a very heavy snow storm.  Cars were sliding all over the place and I was getting some right funny looks.  I loved it! image  It was rather fun.

• Carter, 10lb is great image and 20 miles !!! Im scared to think of that at the moment.

Nell: Im just outside Oxford so lots of pretty places to get out and run.

11 (well almopst 12 according to garmin) done today, dragged some friends out with me so we ran at gossip pace ... 8.35 ... getting so nearer a better pace image. rest day tomorrow 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ali - Running in a snow storm is always a great laugh. Well done for braving those conditions. 

Carter - 10lb is massive weight loss in such a short time. Amazing indeed. And 20 miles tomorrow. I could not face a 20 mile run just yet. 8 - 10 miles are just fine.

Nell - it must be tough to keep going at the paces you normally run in the conditions you have so it is no surprise that you have to do some running on the dreaded treddie.

Washwood - good running from you this week.

Ran the same route tonight as last night but added 1.5 miles to it.

9.5 miles in total at 8:13 m/m average. Ran 3 miles all sub 8 mins with about 2.5 of these at sub 7:30 miling.

Was a bit harder than planned but will be worth it.

Now Carter are you sure about these Bullet Proof Coffees. They sound dreadful .... image

• Nice running Carl, well done.  Very good pace on those 3 miles!

washwood that's a great long run.  Is it the longest in your campaign so far?

I ended my week's running today with 13 miles.  Pretty horrid but it's done now!  Was aiming to run around 10:30 pace which is quite slow but this is my longest run since September and I knew it would be hard for me.

First dilemma was where to run- Glasgow is covered in snow, and I knew from a tentative check this morning that the pavements are hazardous, icy and slippy as it's freezing so the snow isn't melting, just turning solid.  I spoke to my mum and she suggested going off road so I thought I'd run along the canal.  Turns out the canal paths weren't a huge deal better- they weren't compact ice, given the surface, but were just a deep mix of snow and mud and generally very slow to move along.  I could feel after a mile that it was going to be tough on the legs.

First 6 miles fairly uneventful though I did feel a bit dehydrated after a dodgy stomach in the morning.  Ran off the canal path to a nearby Asda for a drink and that took me to 6.5 miles at 10:20 pace which I was pleased with, all going well.  Bought a Powerade which I normally love but for some reason it just wouldn't go down.  I was drinking it but I could feel it sitting in my stomach with my lunch and just not moving.  I didn't feel I was getting any energy, I just felt sick.

Kept running back the way I came but had to concede some brief walks as my stomach kept threatening to empty.  I 'pulled over' to heave a few times but just acid.  Tried to keep running but as the return journey went on I had to concede to doing a minute of walking every so often as my stomach just wouldn't settle.  As it went on and on I felt more awful and had to walk more  Frustrating as cardiovascularly I felt fine.

By the end I was walking for up to 2 minutes at a time.  The return leg ended up being just over 12 min mile average which shows how much I was walking image

But I did it, and made sure I ran the last part so that I could be running when I hit 13 miles.  13 miles done in an average pace of about 11:15 min miles.  Very very slow indeed... but I guess I'm only 3 weeks in and at least I got the distance done when I could have given up.

Stomach still feels crap!

Carter were you doing your 20 miler today?  Would love to hear how it went.

• Oh and I'm working a long day tomorrow so today's run tops off my week and finishes it on almost 32 miles which I am happy with.  Was meant to be 34 on the RW schedule but in all honestly last night's run of 3.8 miles should have been longer but wasn't due to the weather...

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

• Ali its all miles in the legs and Id be pretty happy with that 13 miles considering you havent un that far since Sept and the icy conditions !!!

Ive just finished week 2 of my plan so 11 is the furthest in  my plan but Ive regularly run 10 /11 miles after training for a couple of half m arathons last year, I just kept the long runs up.  Im up to 13 miles for my long run this week coming, then its unknown territory as Ive never run over 14 miles ...... !!!!!!!!!!

• Nell – I thought you were meant to be leaning slightly forward from the hips sp you are ‘falling’ into your next stride ? I imagine it’s quite tough running at the pace you do on ice covered payments, wise to stick to the treadmill if you have to. Have you had much snow over the weekend ?

Ali – great long run from you. There’s nothing wrong with walking especially so early into your plan. Just think of it as time on feet. Thankfully, I’ve never had stomach issues but I can imagine it’s not much fun. And 2 miles off your weekly total is nothing to worry about either, your long tough run will make up for those. Well done on 32 miles for the week as well.

Washwood – just remind us what time you’re aiming for at London. I see that you did a long run with your friends at a ‘gossip’ pace of 8:35 ? That does seem a bit quick to me for a long run (I thought your target was 4:00 hours for London).

Carl – how was the girlie party ??   

• BPC - not the nicest tasting thing to me but I will stick with it for now.

Saturday's long run was, as expected, one of the hardest runs of my life. It was a beautiful day, nice clear blue skies but cold, perfect running conditions as there wasn't much snow or ice underfoot. I chose the Trans Pennine Trail as it was nice and flat. This was a fasted run so I hadn't eaten since the evening before. Off I trotted at a very pedestrian pace indeed and quite soon I could tell it was going to hurt; and by quite soon I mean within the first mile. I was plodding along at about 11:00 min miles and was finding it quite tough on the legs, the breathing was ok at this stage. The trail is pretty flat with just the occasional incline to go over a train line or road. The further I want the harder it became and by about 5/6 miles I felt I had had enough. I knew before I went out this was going to be a hard run but I put my head down and just got on with it. Of all the days to forget to bring my earphones when I could really have done with some music to distract me. At about 10 miles I went past where I had parked my car; I didn’t even look at it and just went down the trail in the opposite direction. This section was slightly more undulating; whenever I have run on this section before though it hasn’t been anything to worry about. Now the legs were really beginning to hurt and I was blowing a bit more as well. After 2.5 miles I decided it would be silly to continue any further as I wasn’t sure how much further I could go, I was now having to walk up these extremely small inclines that I have previously flown up. The legs felt really heavy now but I carried on plodding back to the car for a total of 15 miles @ 10:45. Not exactly the 20 I was hoping for but a pretty decent effort nonetheless.

The legs felt stiff for the rest of the day and the stairs were a bit of a challenge. However, come Sunday I felt pretty good, I seem to be recovering quite well these days. I went out for a short run last night and felt that good I decided to try and running a bit faster. The pavements had snow and ice on them but I just went for it anyway. It felt pretty fast considering but when I finished I discovered my average pace was 9:31; still, it’s about right for me at the moment so all is good. The run was 7 miles for a weekly total of 40 miles which I’m very pleased with.

And, believe it or not, I am still off the alcohol. Not a drop has touched my lips now for 16 nights !!

• Carl/Ali - when do you find out if you're getting a mentor ?

• Morning!

Great efforts Carter and Ali - both of you getting your tough runs done even when struggling. I really admire that as I just don't have that mental toughness. I just give up when I feel really bad.

Did 11 miles yesterday at 9:12 av pace. Still too fast but slowing down. It's ridiculous but I find it really hard to run more slowly when when I'm feeling ok and it barely feels like I'm moving anyway. Got 13 miles to do on Sunday and want to get my pace below 9:30 per mile. I don't want to get to the start line burnt out again which I think has been my problem previously especially with all of the extra workouts I'm doing on top of the running.

Total mileage for week two was 31 miles plus yoga, pilates, plyo, strength and core workouts. Well you can't really call the yoga a workout more of a session.

Oh and plenty of wine passed my lips on Saturday night and I sweated sauvignon blanc for all of my run yesterday. Not fun.

• Morning all – hope everyone had an enjoyable and productive running weekend

Carter – I like that info with regarding to concentrating on your form to address the calf issues.

That is an incredible amount of poundage dropped. How far to go for our target weight? It’s very impressive staying off the booze too – getting any easier?

15m is a good distance at this stage. I think you’ll see a correlation between the weight loss of fitness that might appear at first to be going backwards, but keep persevering and the benefits will come soon enough.

Ali – yes, that was it how many over 20 miles. Getting those in will be critical to your plan, so best mentally set yourself for that challenge in the coming weeks. One very strong message I took away from the bootcamp and the advice from the experts was about getting those LSRs in and controlling the pace of them.

Nell – how did your weekend run go?

Washwood – that’s much better pacing for your longer runs, keep up the good work!

Carl – nice pacing on the 9.5m. There’s a good base fitness building there for marathon training.

PS – good run yesterday. I know what you mean about the slower pacing. I call those the ‘handbrake’ runs as that what it feels like trotting along.

So yesterday’s LSR was a case of the terrible teens – my first venture since last September in 13 mile territory.

13.1 miles 1.50.14 avg 8.22 min/m (5.12m/km – the plan was 5.15m/km so not bad) Avg HR 136.

Was a  tough session but looking back at the equivalent session from last year the pacing was much better controlled.

So it seems that a gazillion extra threads have appeared over the weekend (Carl and Ali, sorry to see you guys didn’t make the cut for what would have been some deserved special treatment), so mental note to self to get back into the swing of more regular postings to keep this one near the top

Oh, and it's 90 days to Manchester!

• Canter - I don't have a weight loss goal as such. I just want to lose enough so it makes the running easier and hopefully pick up less injuries and niggles. I agree about the fitness and the fact that it's so hard at the moment. Hopefully, in a few weeks time it will all come together and everything will be a lot easier. Running on tired legs is also meant to be good for endurance running but I'm not sure how beneficial running on tired legs all the times is !!

Good effort on your 13.1 run. Having not run that far for 4 months it's good that you got the pacing under control, it is indeed a difficult part of running that we can all struggles with. Was the run part of your spring marathon training ? (I forget if you're running one).

Sorry to hear about the mentors Carl & Ali; we are still here to offer any support and help you need

• Carter - I’m just starting week 4 of the asics 3.30 plan for Manchester and modifying some sessions in line with Tim’s plan on the asics forum

There are four 20m plus runs in the schedule (I only managed 3 of those last year) that I’m determined to keep to the pacing plan on.

I plan to do a HM as part of it too but unlike last year I’m not going for 10k or HM PBs as part of the schedule. I’ll postpone those until later in the year.

• Carter how are the coffees going down? Getting used to them yet?

• BK I have February's RW by my side. Which one are you of the Boot Camp mugshots?

• Ha ha PS, I'm on the far left of the bottom row, and i've never been photoshopped before!
  • Hello all

Canter- you are right about the long runs, they have got to be done if I want to do well, and I am determined to stick to the long run mileage in my plan.  Even if other runs vary due to life getting in the way I am setting the rule that those long runs will be done... however long it takes, however I feel... that's why on Saturday I refused to give up and just walk/get a bus home, I was going to do that 13 miles come hell or high water!  Well done on your 13.1 miles image

PS- you are really speedy.  That long run pace is fast!  I know I've said this a million times but I KNOW you have a good sub 4 marathon in you!  I never ran any longer runs at that kind of pace that you are doing before my sub 4 marathon.  But then many of my training miles are too slow... has always been the way for me, I don't know how I pull it out the bag on race day to be honest. (not just marathons but with all distances)

Carter- a 40 mile week is something to be proud of.  Well done!  Your trail run sounds like a great one, 15 miles is still great for this stage in the game.

washwood- no doubt you'll not struggle to keep breaking these personal distance barriers.  Good running.

Carl- I hope you are crying because we didn't get a mentor for our marathons and not because of anything more serious?

Today I had a day off running as the streets are treacherous round here and my legs still feel tired from Saturday.  I did go to the gym and do some cross training and weights but nothing to make me ache.  35 mins on the spinning bike, a cool down on the elliptical, a host of upper body stuff and my Ab and Squat Challenge.  A nice workout and I left the gym glowing rather than dripping with sweat image

• Hi all Im not sure what time I should be going for ,last half mara in Oct was a 1.38.07  and i have a 1.40.22 and 1.41.58 from the previous 2 when I was slightly less used to the distance etc..... My friend is very experienced in marathons and knows me as a runner and reckons I should be aiming for 3.45 perhaps quicker...... Im just scared to give myself a target below 3.45 !  At the moment the long runs are what I have kept up from half marathon training (which i race at 7.30 pace) so 8.30 feels slow and im struggling to get much slower even gossiping. Perhaps I need to reassess my target time or perhaps when I hit the longer distances which I have never done before I will get slower anyway .....

Im a novice to all this!  I  know I need to run long runs slow and these are much slower than I would usually train. My plan I am following is actually a sub 3.30 plan but this is a bit ambitious so Im just listening to my body although the race paces it suggests are again not far of my PBs wit a 35 mon 5 mile (my pb is 35.14) and a 43 min 10k (my pb is 44.15).  I still need to slow down so I dont burn out Im just finding it so hard !!!  

Long run of 13miles on friday lets see if I can crack 8.45 pace.......  Im basically having to recondition my running mentality to slow down rather than speed up !!!   Next challenge after the marathon is a 5k pbimage 

• Found you BK! Very well photoshopped you are too image Looking at the photos I'm struck by how very white the contenders are - only  one black person out of 47. 

Washwood from my limited experience I'd say a 3:45 is very achievable for you. Having said that, I've got a 1:45 HM PB which really should mean that I can run a sub 4 hours and I've not managed that yet in 3 attempts. 

Ali. Thank you for the encouragement as ever. If I don't get sub 4 this time I'm going to take my ball home and not play anymore..

• Hi Ali, Sounds an awful run the other day! You have had it worse on the West I think image

Hi Washwood, sounds like the plan is getting exciting. I must admit I found my first marathon plan really exciting whilst breaking new grounds. I feel we have a little surprise with your time at Londonimage

Hi Carter, I have inserted a picture at the bottom to display what I mean on the lean. Just bits of snow up here, Ali had more of it over the west last weekend as you might have saw from the Rangers, Hearts game fiasco! More icy over her, I really need to be pushed to use the treadmill, Well done on the 15 miles, sounds a bit brutal.

Hi PS, Nice bit of training through the week. Good mix image

Hi Canter, Well done on the 13 miler. Good positive to take out of it if it was a nice controlled run.

Hard luck on not getting the mentoring Carl/Ali

Limited time on Saturday, got up late so only had time to get in just over 8.5 miles at 7:19mm average bit of snow and ice around Sunday so broke off the last few miles accross the fields. 5 miles yesterday at 7:30mm average, bit of ice but it was nice and bright and the wind had dropped a bit. S&C this morning at the gym, bit worried about my second toe. I have got a black toenail and the bottom of the toe is bruised. No idea how that has developed. Also with the Raynauds it doesn't help. I have a new pair of trainers in waiting so will introduce them...

/members/images/754569/Gallery/Capture_3.PNG

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So much going on today.

Nothing serious the matter with me and if I took the RW7 as it is now being called too seriously I need my head examining. I had forgotten about it yesterday and had a sneak peak at our thread as I was leaving work. 

Having now looked at those they selected I think they have done a good job as always. Anyway they probably thought we had enough going on here and did not need the mentoring image 

Anyway got out for a 12 mile trot yesterday.

This is what it looks like on the classic garmin connect

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2015-01-18_at_16.00.58.png

and this is what it looks like on the modern garmin connect

/members/images/557163/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2015-01-18_at_16.01.26.png

What is interesting is that over the 12 miles I had 768ft of elevation gain and obviously the same elevation loss. Never really looked at this before.

Overall I covered the distance at 8:23min/mile average with miles 7,8,9 and 10 at MP of just under 8:00min miling.

A good run to finish the weeks work of 37 miles total. Legs are tired but ok.

This week is going to be an easier week with marathon training starting next week. 

• Carl a fellow garmin geek image loving all the stats on  my new garmin ! 

Nell the surprise will be when it takes me 8 hours ....... Im just going to keep the training going as it is and see what happens image Im pretty good at readding and responding to my body so will see how it all goes image  nice paces on your runs btw

everyone seems to be getting some nice long runs in image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So much great running by everyone over the last few days and I am short on time today to go through each one.

Will do so tomorrow. Promise.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - love the diagram. Now I need to work out what it means

• Canter – I believe a lot of the training plans advise to try and get 5 long runs into your plan. I did so last year and felt it really helped come the end of the race.

PS – the coffee is going down very slowly, there’s that much fat in it I almost have to chew it ! I need to tinker a bit with the flavours as well as the ‘standard’ variety isn't exactly pleasant. Chocolate is going to be my first choice I reckon. 

Ali – take it easy out there, move to the treadmill if you have too. Good work with the cross training and weights, this is something I've never been good at. 

Washwood – your other times would certainly indicate that you are capable of a 3:45. Your half PB is very similar to mine and I ran 3:36 at Manchester last year. I think that you can aim to go for 3:45 yourself but that means your slow runs need to be about 10:00 minute miles ! I too am on Garmin and Strava and I have my own spreadsheet with all the facts on figures from my running ‘career’ !

Nell – is that the picture of Canter in RW mag ?? I have noticed in the past that when I’ve put weight on or lost it I do seem to get a back ache, maybe it’s just my old body keeping me on my toes (although I am a heel striker !!). On my next run I will be sure to give it a try, thanks.

Carl -  your run looks more impressive on the classic Garmin view, it looks like you’ve run steep climbs ! A nice amount of elevation in your 12 miles too, maybe you are ready to venture further north for some proper hills !!

With 13 weeks to Manchester I am sort of winging my training at the moment. Pre-Christmas activities have put a dint into my original plan and the change of diet means I have removed any speedwork from the plan. This week I think I am going to do something I’ve never done before and that is attempt to have a third consecutive big week of running; previously I haven’t managed this due to niggles/injuries. The last 2 weeks have been 30 and 40 miles and this week I’m going to try and get in as near to 45 as possible. Obviously, if my body starts to moan at me I will cut back straight away. That’s the plan but we will have to see how the body reacts