RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I have not told my OH.

I am desperately hoping that I will wake up tomorrow and realise it was all a bad dream.

• Jeez Carl - sh1t one. rollercoaster of emotions for you tonight, I guess you were surprised at how good you felt as the session progressed and full of renewed optimism for Sunday, then bang like a sniper shot in the hamstring your hopes were at an all time low. Gutted for you mate. As Spoons says all you - can do is see how it feels tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Carter - not fantastic news either certainly in terms of Manchester, you seem to be taking the 50/50 verdict very calmly. However good news that you seem to have a physio on the job that knows their onions and can get you sorted! As I always say - there are plenty more marathons but only one of you.

If it is any consolation I had my worst session ever tonight. Tempo Tuesday on the treadmill was supposed to be 1 mile w/up followed by 5 miles at 7.40ish pace. Had to back the thing off to a walk at 4.1miles as I though I was going to heave ... walked for a few mins and started running again @ 8.45 pace until 5.5 miles and had to back off to a walk again as I was feeling very green again... jogged the last quarter of a mile or so to get the session done.
    Note to self - a pub dinner of Gourmet Mexican Burger with fries plus whatever the kids didn't finish an hour previous to the run isn't the best fuel for a speed session image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - as the boys said, lets hope it's just something minor and today you're feeling good. Don't put your passport away just yet.

Ricky - maybe you need to review you pre-run fuelling strategy image I don't suppose there is much point getting worked up about such things, there is more important things in life blah blah......obviously I would be extremely disappointed not to get to Manchester but there will be another marathon coming along shortly after. But I have been pleasantly surprised on more than one occasion since joining this thread so you just never know
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Think I am going to try and get in to see my physio today.

It feels a little better this morning. I can walk normally, I can stretch it and have massaged it loads, can stand on one leg. It is still tight.

Can I run on it ? No idea but I am going to have to find out before Paris as that is along way to go for nothing.
  • Sounds promising. Fingers crossed....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Cannot get in to see my physio until 6pm tomorrow night so I will have to run with that.

As I walked to work I felt  it more , particularly  on the bigger strides.

Very frustrating ....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I pretended today that life was carrying on as nornal and went to the running shop at lunchtime and Boots.

Stocked up on my gels for Sunday, drink bottle thingy, new running socks, anti chaf stuff, muscle cream etc.

On my way home, I decided that waiting to see the physio tomorrow night to find out if I could run on Sunday was a bit like a cop out. Not fair asking him if I can run really ...

I am still going to see him because I need him to do his magic, but I just wanted to know ..

So applied loads of deep heat, my compression shorts and off out into the cold I went.

Decided that I would do this on the running track as this would reduce any impact.

Over the fence.

Loads of stretching ...

I set off on mile 1. It was tough at the start but eventually I found some sort of rhythm. I was very aware that the leg was tight and I could feel it every time my foot landed.

It was very cold with a ridiculous crosswind on the back straight.

Completed Mile 1 in 8:56.

Carried on into Mile 2. During this mile I began to think that maybe with some physio and strapping I might be able to get round. Am I mad ?

Completed mile 2 in 8:48.

Mile 3 was easier. I began to stop thinking about my leg and concentrate on running. My mind was in overdrive. I am running but have clearly done something to my hammy. Should I just call this a day now. What if it really goes during the marathon.

Completed mile 3 in 8:29.

Overall 3.3 miles at 8:49 pace.

A decent run in the circumstances.

I have been back in the house for over an hour now. Leg is feeling ok. It is still tight but in a funny way it feels better for doing some running.

Is this normal ? What have I done ? Is it possible to run 26.2 miles with this ? or should I just call it a day and recover fully and run another day as there will be other marathons ?

My physio will get me to the start line if I really want him to. He is really good. Ultimately it is down to me to make the decision.

I do not know what to think anymore.

• Leaves it very late for you to make a call on travelling or not Carl image

How are you feeling about the possibility Paris isn't gonna happen this time?

More like myself tonight - did my 10 mile MLR in lovely spring sunshine @ MP. Averaged 8.32 pace for the run:

9.03 (w/up); 8.39; 8.34; 8.28; 8.29; 8.23; 8.29; 8.40; 8.21; 8.17

Felt a nice comfy pace and HR was nice and low @ 147bpm but my right knee started to get a little sore in the mid section but then improved in the last 3 or 4 miles.

Starting to get a little concerned - think it is runners knee. Would describe it as feeling a bit stiff and the outside of the kneecap is slightly tender to the touch/press ... Carter - do these sound like similar symptoms to yours? 
    I will need to try and manage this niggle as best as I can during the next 10 days of training which see my mileage peak (including two 22mile LSRs) before taper. I am wondering should I take a extra rest day or two at the expense of a couple of speed sessions to ensure I get the LSRs done?

• Typing at the same time as you Carl!

Well that run sounds encouraging - sounds like maybe a bit of strain on the hammy last night maybe rather than a full blown pulled hamstring? Maybe a combination of the physios magic and an easy run or two will help you run through it?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - that was what I was thinking. And why I went out tonight. Tomorrow night was just too late. Still need his magic hands to do some magic. But as you say if I had pulled the hammy properly I doubt I could have run 3 miles.

So if it is just a strain, do I run again ? it sortof feels better tonight after running. Maybe I will need to see what it feels like in the morning, do the physio and go for a short run early Friday.

Spoons - what do you think ?

• Sounds very promising Carl. Get down the physio tomorrow, get him to strap you up and onto the start line. Ask him whether you can race or just jig round. Then start at race pace anyway aand see how it feels. If it feels wrong early on then reduce to a jog and enjoy the event. 

Ricky - not you as well image get a massage, foam roll it, stretch it and have an easy day or two. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

We need to put a health warning on this thread.

Spoons started it.

Carter and I have followed.

Ricky is thinking about it.

Oirsih - what about you. Want to join the party ?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - my physio told me that some massaging, ultrasound, plenty of stretches and some of that tape stuff type thingy and I could get to the start line. He said that tape works as a temporary measure, something to do with blood flow. Obviously though, running a marathon could make the recovery time longer. I guess that's the decision we need to make.

Ricky - those symptoms do sound like some of mine. Like Spoons says, have a couple of easy days or maybe no running til the weekend. One good knee strengthening exercise is to do a one legged squat (the leg with the bad knee of course) on the stairs with the back of your foot over the edge of the stairs.

Plenty of stretching and exercises for me today. I even found out that our office block has soon stairs, they are to the left of the lift. I stopped on each flight of stairs and did some leg squats. Same at lunchtime too. I also took to the foam roller tonight for the first time in ages. While it was still sore rolling both ITBs the pain wasn't anywhere near as bad as this time last week. Early days of course but maybe the physio plus these stretches might just be loosening the old legs up. A couple more days like this and I plan to run again Saturday morning. I checked my training plan and from doing 50ish miles a week I have managed 11 miles in the 3 weeks or so since my last half.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - at this rate Spoons will have us planking too !!
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Out of the 6 RW Forum Six there is only one person who is not currently injured or nursing a niggle !
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Things I've learnt on this thread.

1) long slow runs should be run slowly

2) I do need to eat and drink properly before a long run and also take gels

3) I am not invincible, I need to stretch.

Anyone want to add anymore to the list of things they have learnt ?
  • Have never used & do not own a foam roller ..... like you Carter I am the worlds worst when it comes to stretching. That said my legs don't feel, and never have, particularly tight.

Will see how it feels tomorrow & maybe take the evening off.

I too have learnt the importance of correct fuelling pre a long run and experienced a bonk for the first time which was a useful learning curve if nothing else.

I have learned that speed sessions just after a heavy meal are a no no image

• I went to running club session after fish and chips once. Never again!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

People on the Manchester marathon thread have received their race numbers. I havent yet. Maybe it's a sign !!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Just been working on my list and here it is so far.

Passport

Medical Certificate

Convocation

Eurostar booking

Hotel booking

Euros

Metro Map - must download RATP app

iPhone charger

Plug adapter

Garmin plus charger

Runners

Socks

Compression shorts plus base layer pants

Base layer top

T shirt with name

Cap

Running belt

Gloves

Vaseline

Deep heat

Anti-chafe

Ibuprofen

Safety pins

Compeed for blisters

Lucozade Sport

Gels

Jelly Brans

Jaffa Cakes

Porridge

Water

Bag for stuff at race

Sweatshirt

Jogging bottoms

Strapping for Leg

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Shaving Foam

Razor

Tissues

Face Cream

Lip Balm

Baby Wipes

Sweatband

Running Tour Itinery

Maps and addresses for meeting points

Bagels

Banana

Nuts and dried fruit

Sweatshirt to discard at start

I am sure there are a few more things.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Your cheque book to pay for your extra backage allowance ??
  • Carl - Sounds promising. It may well have been the protest of a restarting machine rather than mechanical failure, so hopefully after physio things will seem a lot brighter.

Just try not to put your back out carrying all that luggage. It's just as well you aren't flying Ryanair, Michael O'Leary could retire on your ezcess luggage.

Carter - I think we have all cottoned on that we are reaching stages in our training where we can't be anything less than 100% prepared and there are no short cuts to be had. Gone are the days that I'd jump out of bed and  enter a half marathon on the day on a whim, I've no idea what's changed in the last 20 years but I just can't seem to do that anymore?

Ricky - Again fingers crossed it is something or nothing with your knee.

With everything going on here injury wise I feel blessed to have just a head cold and blistered big toe. I need to find another thread to whine on.

I didn't run yesterday, my motivation and energy levels were very low, it has been a pretty awful few days in the Oirish household with bad news piling up on top of bad news and with the emotion of it all coupled with this bug I had nothing to give yesterday so deferred my run and concentrated on eating and hydrating properly and dosing myself up on Beechams.

I generally feel a bit better all around this morning and am going to do my MLR shortly, I think 10 miles might clear my head in every sense.

As for things I have learnt whilst running....... 

Red wine is not the next undiscovered energy drink nor is it the perfect accompaniment to a pre race meal the night before a half.

Essex is still expecting the Nazi invasion and has removed all countryside roadsigns in anticipation.

Spanish

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  The injury bench is still looking quite full, but I've got my fingers crossed for Carl getting to the start line this weekend!

For me, training is currently going well, although I'm not sure if I'll be getting a sub-4 at the start of May.  I'll see how it goes on the day I think, and I'm not stressing about that currently.  The main aim for me for this one has always been to enjoy it, and I then can maybe go for sub-4 at another event later.  I did do 15 miles yesterday at 9min/mile and it was fine, but I'm not sure if I could have kept it up for another 11 miles.

Did anyone else here do Marathon Talk's Jantastic?  It finished at the end of March, and I found it really motivating particularly in that bad/cold weather we all had when it would have been easy for me to miss a session or three!  I didn't miss a planned session in 3 months (I did move a couple of sessions around and maybe didn't do things on the exact day I had planned, but that's not an issue). Since January 7th when Jantastic started,  I have wracked up some big (for me) numbers.  I know these aren't particularly impressive totals in the big scheme of things, but the consistency I think has helped me a lot and I stuck to 4 runs a week throughout Jantastic and hit my LSRs consistently.  I have moved to running being something I just do, rather than something I try and fit in.

- 49 individual runs (11 weeks @ 4 runs, + 1 week @ 5 runs)
    - 420 miles
    - 64hr 40mins of training

Things I have learned are numerous, but to add to the list:

- Don't stress too much about a "bad run".  They happen.  In a way it's good to have a bad run as you can learn from it by fighting through (assuming not injured), but move onto the next session; don't dwell on it.

- Getting some races in as part of the marathon training gave me a good sense of where I was with my pace/fitness, as well as practicing racing.  Again, following a bad race don't dwell on it...move on to the next one.  I have done 2 halfs and 1 10K since January, which I know isn't a lot but it has helped prove to myself that the training is working.  One of the halfs was comparatively rubbish and I dwelled on it too much.  I need to brush these little set backs off more quickly in the the future.

- Try not to overcompensate with food following an LSR.  I struggle with this!  I.E., I do a 20miler and then feel I can treat myself by eating way too much afterwards.

- Some kind of tape for the nips is a good thing.  I won't go into detail on this one image

(apologies for any typos....spell check isn't working for me for some reason).

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Oirish - just been in your county at Upminster.

It is snowing and absolutely freezing.

I am really hoping that it will be warmer in Paris as 26.2 miles in these conditions would be really grim.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish - hope things are better at home. I'm sure a good run will sort you out.

Big_g - some good consistent running there. I didnt find that Jantastic helped motivate me really as I am really motivated on my own, at the moment. If anything I found it a hindrance and felt guilty when I couldnt get out through injury. I dont think I will bother with it next year

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - I dont know if you saw this on the other thread ? Minni posted it, it's taper realted.

May the taper not have left you feeling fat and lethargic and the sniffles and niggles not develop in to illness or injury.

On marathon eve May your friends and family not text you ‘good luck messages’ after 9pm.

If staying in a hotel, may it be clear of Stag and Hen parties and may your room be some distance from any noisy air conditioning units, night clubs or someone who has just been let out of prison or returned from active service and that night been reunited with their loving partner.

If perchance you do sleep may you dream of forgetting your number or race kit or of not being able to find the start of the race or of oversleeping and missing it completely, in order that on the day itself you will wake up, remember your number or race kit, and find your way to the start on time.

May you eat a breakfast familiar to your digestive system.

May your transport be on time and free from catastrophic mechanical malfunction.

May the portaloos have few people queuing outside and plentiful toilet tissue inside

May your GPS unit and heart rate monitor be fully charged and may it find satellites
    immediately and link seamlessly with your chest strap….. and not someone else’s.

May you not be held back by runners slower than you starting too far forward and in turn, may you not spoil the race for others

May you not set off too fast and remember that if you feel you are running too slowly you are still running too fast.

Let the weather be 11 degrees centigrade during the race with a light following breeze and perhaps a hint of drizzle in the last six miles, then after the race may the clouds disperse and reveal 20 degree sunshine

May your timing chip remain attached, your shoelaces stay tight and may you avoid tripping over discarded water bottles or slipping on gel sachets.

May you not suffer a visit from the Gingerbreadman, or run directly behind someone who has.

May you not be impeded by idiots wearing personal headphones, passed by runners in fancy dress , athletes over the age of 80, your club mates, your partner or anyone off the telly.

May you see your supporters on the course and may your supporters see you and then when the race is over may they meet you at a pre arranged location and not change their plan and leave you thirsty ravenous and shivering as they struggle with the overloaded mobile phone network.

May your nipples and sensitive areas be free from chafing And In the final few miles may you avoid hitting the wall, resist adopting a run walk strategy and find the strength to f*@$% your legs, And on crossing the line may you wipe the phlegm from your cheeks and the crystallised salt from around your mouth and find the energy to smile for the cameras.
    And then whatever your time or your achievement, be it a personal best or an absolute unmitigated disaster, remember that your loved ones have tolerated you’re your persistent absence, your challenging moods and narcoleptic tendencies for months on end, so wear your medal or t shirt with pride, celebrate being one of the 0.1 percent of the population who have trained for and completed a 26.2 mile race and enjoy a few days of being treated like the hero you are, walking like a cowboy with haemorrhoids, and not having to run a step.

Amen

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Amen to that Caretr

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)
    Your cheque book to pay for your extra backage allowance ??

When I have done VLM, its a case of getting afew things in a bag, jumping on the tube and thats that. It does seem like a lot of stuff but all essential.

Also need a green ribbon or wristband as that is what marks you out as a RW threddie.

• Carl - Whatever you do don't tuck your green item in your back pocket for a single minute or rather than fellow threddies you'll will be flagging yourself up to every Parisian rent boy in the district as a potential customer.......... and that could really hamper your running style.

Also Upminster is the other end of the county and is very common and vulgar, we do not approve of their fancy ways and commonplace roadsigns even if we do have to suffer the same sod awful weather. I do not fancy running any long distances in this, I'm praying this spell will break before you run.

Anyhoo, 10.2 miles @ avg 8.27 in sucky weather. Why doesn't the snow just sodding land and settle instead of just blowing around getting in my face!? (Note the use of the word "my" there as obviously it isn't affecting anyone else image) If the idea was to lighten my mood it kind of worked, I was so glad to be back indoors

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - sounds like the run may have helped but we all know that family stuff is almost alwayss more important.

Good that despit artic conditions you got out for a decent run.

Big G - I did Jantastic up until I got the flu. It is a good idea as the first couple of months of the year are really tough for us mad runners. Always running in the dark and it being bitterly cold. So some will have done it to help motivate them to keep getting out as once a committment is made it has to be honoured. Others would have done it for fun. Others will have done it as they are extremely competitive and wanted to win.

Like Carter I did not need it for motivational purposes as this time round I had made a committment to myself to get out a minimum of 4 times a week as I wanted to put myself in the best possible position to do well on race day.

Now as it turns out I am going into race day having done great training but somehow not in the best of shape. And that is the lot of a marathon runner. It rarely all comes together and once every so ofton there will be a perfect race.