Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Ricky - I see you on run Britain but I've not seen much of you on strava for a while ?
  • Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Oirish - I can't make Dublin as me and mrs carter are in the algarve (already checked but no marathon being run !)
  • Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Rachel - if you enter your email address and password you should be able to log in !!! image
  • Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Spoons - have you entered any races now you are recovered ?
  • Options
    Oirish - not sure if mrs Ricky W will be going to Dublin ... Will see how she behaves herself @ Limerick image

Carter - have probs with uploading to strava on lappy for some reason ... Tried twice recently but no joy image

Carl - feeling any recovery today?

Rachel - email admin on runbritain. I had a prob registering and they sorted quickly.

Tempo Tuesday for me - 6 miles on treadmill in 47.38 - 1 mile w/up @ 9.18mml and then 5 @ 7.40 pace. Knee didn't feel too bad - treadmill def easier on it.
  • Options
    Carter - difficult choice. I guess it how it feels on your next attempt to run will be critical to your decision?
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Just in from work. Feel really good today. Can walk up and down stairs normally and got a real bounce in my step for some reason. If I fully extend my leg, I can feel the hammy pulling against me so I will just have to rest it and enjoy another slice of apple crumble with custard. The joys of not marathon training !!!!!

Will be back on in a while when I have checked that everyone is asleep.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've picked up a niggle, which is annoying as this week is supposed to be my last big week before my taper. I'm going to have to ease off for a few days though unfortunately.

It's an issue at the back of my left knee, and although not incredibly painful it's impacting my running style and I think related to tight hamstrings. I was planning a 22-miler this week but if I don't get to do it this week, I won't do it at all and hope the mileage I've done already will be enough for May 5th.
  • Options

Carter - hope the shortish run goes OK. No races entered yet. I'm still in base training mode and slowly building up.

Big G - when's your marathon?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Spoons - my marathon is on 5th May...
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)
    Physio said that the ITB didn't feel as tight as last week but there is a bit of swelling around the patella. He massaged both areas and did the ultrasound on a higher level. He has put some of that kinesio tape on the ITB and told me I can try running with it and see how it goes. If it helps then this may get me to Manchester. When asked if I run Manchester would it make it worse he said it wouldn't but it would delay the recovery. We are looking at about 6 weeks total rest with stretches etc for it to realistically mend properly. So I guess it's getting to the stage where I am going to make a decision soon. I will go for a shortish run tomorrow and look to do a longer one at the weekend and I guess I will have a better idea of where I stand then

Carter - all sounds encouraging from where I am sitting. Hopefully the short run goes okay. At least your physio is not saying do not do it. So the trick is going to eb about managing to rest it enough ebfore Manchester but get enough running in without overdoing it. The inclination to try and make up for lost runs will be natural is not something I would recommend. Your runs should be about maintaining fitness levels and not stressing yourself too much about pace.

Sounds like I have decided that you are running !!!!!!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Big_G wrote (see)
    Spoons - my marathon is on 5th May...

Big G - You have done the miles so do not stress. Ease up this week and start your taper early. You will benefit more than you think onmarathon day.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Carl - I am already thinking of a new target in the event of me getting there. Currently, I am between 4:00 - 4:15 but that is of course subject to change depending how things go. Right, off out to do a few miles....hopefully !
  • Options

Hope it went ok Carter???

• Options

Fingers crossed Carter - pretty much crunch time with tonights run for you.

Big G - I am the 5th May also and am also in my last big week... prob good advice from Carl to just start tapering now. Missing your last 22ml LSR will probably have no impact on your marathon however pushing through it and exacerbating your niggle undoubtedly will.

I did a 10 miler on an undulating route tonight @ MP .... originally my MP target was 8.35 pace but as training has progressed I am starting to think 8.25 is doable. So.... I ran this pace (slightly faster actually) and it felt ok - and has given me more confidence that I can sustain 8.25 pace for the race. Spoons - what are your thoughts on my MP? As a reminder my recent HM was 1.42 and was a very even split run averaging 7.47 pace.

Splits this evening: (8.23 avg for 10 miles; 8.20 avg for the 9 miles at MP)

8.54 (w/up), 8.32, 8.06, 8.26, 8.25, 8.16, 8.27, 8.20, 8.16, 8.10

• Options

Spoons - one more question.

Should a taper include speed sessions? Or is it all easy running?

• Options

Big G - a 4 week taper will work well. If this week is a mega cut back then next week could be almost a normal week (a bit less than a normal week but a bit more than a 75% 1st week of taper).. Just drop the long run a bit.

• Options

Ricky - speed sessions - Yes absolutely. Training should carry on the same as normal, just reduce the overall mileage. Week 1 do 75%. Week 2 do 50%. Week 3 do 25%. If you drop speedwork and tempo runs etc you get stale and sluggish.

8:25 pace sounds doable based on your half time. Did it feel comfortable enough to carry on much longer? Have you done much MP running in your long runs? They are the best test.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    4.4 miles @ 11:15.

I got to the normal 2.5 miles and the knee started to go. This time, however, the pain wasn't as bad and I didn't have to stop. For some reason, when the knee started to hurt, I started to land on my mid-foot rather than my normal heel. I then kept switching between mid and heel strike for about two miles which made the pain bearable. It did seem to help but surely I can't adopt such a strategy for Manchester ? Still no nearer a decision but definitely more positive than this time last week. I think my next run will be on Friday to see if I can go a bit further
  • Options

Hmmm positive but not very good. Rest up tomorrow and we'll see how Friday goes.....

• Options

Not great Carter image .... still headed in the right direction though. Hopefully a further improvement on Friday's run.

Spoons - yes I felt comfortable and no more tiredness in the legs than at the 10ml mark of an LSR i.e. I felt much the same at 10mls as I would halfway in to a 20+ ml LSR. I did some MP running in my earlier LSRs but haven't done any in my last 2 LSRs.... however I feel I have progressed well over the last month so how I felt running MP in those earlier LSRs seems less relevant to my current pace tbh.

• Options

small steps Carter! image

I am seriously trying to get my running back on track now...can't sit around watching you lot forever!!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    It feels strange not having to go out running but Indo miss it. Recovery run of 3-4 miles planned for Sunday.

Spoons - how best to train for a 10k ?

Carter - feel for you mate. But it wa a slight improvement so lets see how you feel today. And hopefully Fridays run will be better.

Ricky - you can kill 8:25 pace based on your training and if it comes together on the day. Go for it. Get used to that pace during the taper as it needs to be your best friend on race day.
  • Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Rachel - good to hear that you are getting back in to some regular running. Any plans for an Autumn marathon or are you waiting for a while before you decide ?
  • Options

Carter - Even an eternal optimist like me is starting to worry a little about you, on the plus side you are up and out there and have found a way to cope, let's hope friday brings good news for you mate.

Hopefully all these last minute worries are a rite of passage on this thread image Look at Carl full of germs and a near nervous breakdown and boom!! nails it. What with Big G picking up a niggle too I'm going to feel like an outsider if I don't hurt myself soon, I'm worried i haven't enough tme left to develop an injury. image

Rachel - How has it been going for you? 

Ricky - I have been having similar quandries about my pacing too there are a couple of factors at play here. When I started I just wanted sub 4 but my training was erratic and once I put that in order I was edging in my mind towards 3:45 although my natural instincts is to harbour hopes of better.

After my 1:38 half I was confident I was capable of 3:40 but the course is by all accounts a bit tough and not particularly fast so i find myself going around in circles in my head. 

Spoons - Are you familiar with the Halstead course? Any thoughts? My training has included 8:30 MP miles and I am happy enough at that but does a course have a significant impact on times? I like hill running and think too much is made of it sometimes as hills have to go up as well as down surely or is that over simplifying things?

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Rachel - everything is looking more positive for you now image

Carl - I bet you will be glad to get back out there. Which 10k are you targeting and do you have a time in mind ?

Ricky - I reckon you're on for a very decent time in your race, training seems to be going very well

Oirish - same for you. Have you looked at the course profile to see where the hills are to make sure you save a bit for them ?

Well, I have woken this morning to find that I have a bit of a pain in my knee. This time, however, it is the other knee image

• Options

Carter - Oh dear not good, it may be from over compensating when you adjusted your running style yesterday. Still at least it flared up before your physio appointment so you can cover it when you see them.

The course i am doing described itself as 'undulating'.

I have looked at the course on mapometer and the elevation graph looks like an ECG. I can't see any terrfying hills but it is a constant up and down so rhythm and pacing could be tricky I suppose.

The total elevation is 999ft, how this compares to other courses I don't know.

Another tempo run this morning and I'm unlikely to be able to run until Saturday night at the earliest now. I travel this afternoon to this funeral.

Splits 8:12 8:00 7:56  7:58 7:53 7:36 7:35  9:10

I felt pretty good throughout and nice and strong at the end and was pretty pleased with it.

• Options
    Carl D wrote (see)
    Rachel - good to hear that you are getting back in to some regular running. Any plans for an Autumn marathon or are you waiting for a while before you decide ?

I'd love to do an autumn marathon, but as that would mean starting training in a couple of months,  I think that's unlikely. I want to let my hair properly grow back first. So it's more likely that I will try again next spring. It's gutting, as I really want to get back into marathon training, but I'm going to focus on shorter distances and speed till then image

• Options

Oirish - I've not run Halstead although I know many that have. I agree that hills don't slow you down as much as people make out as you get to run down them too. As long as you have done some hill training.

Carl - 10km? Where did that come from? image have a look at some training plans online. They are much the same as marathon plans, just slightly shorter in distance and faster in pace....

• Options

Good lengthy tempo run Oirish - and don't you be tempting fate on the injury front! I am almost afraid to say but my knee is feeling better all the time now and I have been sticking with the full programme of training this week - everything crossed.image

Rachel - that sounds like a good plan... book yourself a few 10ks summer/autumn and focus on them and then maybe build a good base of easy running over the last few months of the year in preparation for New Year training for a Spring Marathon.

Ok on the speed sessions during the taper Spoons.