June 30th – Thame 10k - Andrew

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM - Carl

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl 

• Options

Carter, really sorry to hear about your dog always a sad time when family pets pass on.

ricky, that vid is really lovely

oirish, really pleased that your injury during ur marathon doesn't seem to be anything too serious

interval training this evening, after 1.5 mile warm up I ran 8 x 400m with 200m recovery, 400m times were: 1.26, 1.33, 1.34, 1.28, 1.31, 1.31, 1.33, 1.31

my recovery times stayed fairly consistent although after the first 4 intervals I was walking the first 50m of the recovery rather than jogging.

Good work on the race calandar carter, can add Oxford half for me in october (ill check the date as I can't remember right now) would love to join you all for Dublin but I think the wife may kill me! easing her into two marathons a year gently next year with Brighton in the spring followed by Abingdon (3miles from home) in the autumn 

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

All I can say is that this thread is cursed !!!!!!!

• Options

Good 400's Andrew - 6.00 mml pace... impressive image

Carter - yes a workmate made the same observation about me being beaten by 5yr  old!

What has happened now Carl?! image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - what's up ?

Mrs C has made 2 statements tonight that have really surprised me. We took our mutt out for a walk on a new trail and I commented that it would be a good one to run. She then said that she could ride a mountain bike and join me on the trails. As you know our old mutt passed away on monday and Mrs C is currently online looking for another mutt for us !

• Options

Mmmmm  -  Mrs C chaperoning ur runs... is that a good or bad thing?

Mrs RickyW has been trying her hand on my treadmill recently. I even caught reading my Runners World the other day! 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - I've also been reading through the first few pages of P&D and it is quite technical, but I quite like that.  Having said that, I skipped some of the first chapter (I will go back to it though) to have a look at the hydration/nutrition section and it's good.  From what I've read so far, it appears I'm not drinking anywhere near enough water even though I thought I was drinking plenty.

Can I stick my name on the list for the two events I've got booked?

Torbay Half - June 23rd.

Torbay 10K - August 25th

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

May 26th - Wallingford 10k – Andrew

May 27th - Bupa London 10k - Carl

June 8th - Larne Half – Ricky

June 9th – Wargrave 10k - Andrew

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd – Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 30th – Thame 10k - Andrew

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM - Carl

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Big_G - yes, i agree with what you say. I think it will be a case of keep going back to chapter 1 as we progress through the book. Like you, I thought I was drinking enough water but I'm not. I also know that I need to cut down on the Magners !

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Carter - yes, I saw the bit about alcohol too.  Seeing it there in black and white is, errrm, sobering image

Flicking ahead to the 55mpw plan and I'm not sure if it's too big a step up for me at the moment.  For the marathon I did recently I think I peaked at 43mpw (for one week) based on 4 sessions a week.  I know I probably need to go to 5 sessions a week, but I'm a bit worried about the transition to be honest as I tended to be quite tired all the time based on just the 4 sessions.  Any thoughts on that?

• Options

Carter - the new house it great thanks. More importantly it's got loads of great little roads with hardly any traffic around, so perfect for trainingimage

• Options

Big_G, could be worth looking at your diet? if your getting tired based on 4 weekly runs you may not be consuming enough for your body to recover

• Options

Come on Carl - spill.

Got my P&D book yest... Long day in work so only a quick read at post marathon stuff so far - and i'm already doing that wrong! Looks like a good book tho.

Big G - when will ur 18 week plan start? Could you get some solid base training in building up to the mileage levels of the start point of the 18 week plan? I am not convinced high mileage is the answer anyway - I peaked at 60mls and not sure if I saw any benefit. As P&D advocate - quality specific sessions are prob more beneficial.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ricky - I haven't actually got a marathon in mind yet and have nothing booked.  I was half thinking of getting an autumn one in, but it may end up being next spring when I do another one.

From the mileage at the start of the plan and the advice in P&D I am ready to start their plan from a mileage perspective, but I am not so sure.  I don't want to over-train or get injured because of the increase.  You may well be right that gradually building a decent base may be the answer, prior to embarking on their plan.

• Options

Big G - as Ricky says - make sure you get a decent base in first. And are you doing all the easy running too quick?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Spoons - I've been doing my long runs between 10 and 10.5 min/mile.  In marathon training, I did "let off some steam" and did a 15 miler at 9min/mile, but other than that I was doing the long runs between 10 and 10.5.

I do what I would term a hard session with the club once a week (this tends to be intervals or hill sessions and is tough, but I tend to feel invigorated like I've achieved something afterwards).  My recovery run is at around 9min/mile and then the fourth run tends to be a tempo run at around 8min/mile or so, but I often mix this up a lot to keep it interesting.  How does that look?

Base training with a gradual build up to 5 times a week seems to be the best thing to do.

• Options

Sounds good Big G

Sounds like gradual build up is whats required

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Andrew - I somehow missed your post earlier.

I think/hope my diet is fairly good but always welcome comments.  A typical day is:

- Breakfast: either shredded wheat with semi-skimmed and sultanas, or porridge made with semi-skimmed and sultanas/golden syrup.  One and only coffee of the day.

- apple and banana in the morning.

- lunch is 4 sarnies (ham, or cheese), crisps, yogurt

- apple and banana in the afternoon, or some raw carrots/tomatoes.

- evening meals over a week tend to be something like pasta & meatballs with garlic bread, jacket potatoes with cheese/ham/beans, breaded fish with mash and beans, jackets with homemade chili, home made soup (broccoli/cheese, spring cabbage/lentil etc) with a fresh baguette.  The evening before a long run it'll be pasta or jackets.

- I always have water on the go at work, although P&D seems imply I'm not drinking enough water.

- I do get the Graze boxes, and have one of those a day.  I also have fresh juice every day and also shelled peanuts or walnuts most days.

- The above is a standard day, but I'd say we get a takeaway on average once a month (pizza, fish & chips or curry usually) and eat out once a week (pub meal usually).

- alcohol-wise, I try and limit it to once a week but on holiday this rule goes out the window.  Having said that, for the marathon I only drank in school holidays (my wife is a teacher) and totally abstained in between, which I confess I did find tough.

After a long run, I'll tend to have a pint of milk immediately when I get back as well as one or two bananas.

I wouldn't describe myself as ever being especially hungry throughout a standard day.

I'm 13st and 6ft 3 and 37 years old.  At my heaviest a few years ago I was 17st.  This time last year I was over 14st and the reduction in the alcohol I would say is the main reason I've lost the extra stone since then (and incidentally how I got quite a big PB in my half compared to this time last year).

Any comments welcomed.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ok so loads going on here today about p&D and stuff that I need to catch up on.

Would have come on earlier but phone battery died earlier today so had to wit until home and then needed to attend to kids as Mrs D was going out.

So last night I planned my normal tempo run going to Regents Park via Primrose Hill. Last 2 weeks I have only managed 3 pace miles and I was struggling to get the pace down and consistent so I was hoping for 4 miles at 7 min miling.

Everything was going well. Had managed the first 3 pace miles in 6:56; 6:55; 6:56.

I was pushing on to get mile 4 sub 7 mins when DISASTER descended upon me.

I was approaching / passing one of the smaller entrances / exits to the Park. As this one has high hedge growth on either side, not being a main entry / exit point,  it is hard to see if anyone is coming out so I normally move to the edge of the footpath.

With no warning an idiot, moron , image on a bike was coming through the gap in the hedge and crossing the footpath in my space. I had a split second to react to stop crashing into the bike and I lost my footing on the edge of the footpath and went over out onto the road SPLAT.

The moron just kept going........... he should not have been there as it the path that he came from was not a cycle path, and I have never seen a cyclist use it before ... maybe he was up to no good .....

It really hurt hitting the road as I was not prepared for it. I lay there for what seemed like an age but was probably less than a minute. One or two cars slowed but did not stop ... this is London and people generally do not intefere with anything unusual ...

Gingerly picking myself up. I realised immediately that I had sustained some damage on top of some cuts and grazes. My right ankle was in some discomfort and so was my right knee. It appears that in slipping on the kerb I went over on my right ankle and twisted the right side of my body. I also had given my body a good shake up in landing on teh road with a THUMP.

So being 2 miles from home, I had to hobble back as I was without phone or money (never carry it on these short runs).

So I am not a happy bunny. Last night was the first time since I started training for the 10k that I was comnfortable with the fast pace.

Today I am just not sure when I will be able to run.

My right ankle is still very sore but not swollen. The pain is predominately on the bone. I have iced it and been applying gel to reduce discomfort. Not sure if I have done any real damage and hoping that it will settle down.

My knee has settled a little from last night with it being tender on the left side going around the back. No bruising and again I have being icing it.

My lower back is a bit sore and I am going to have to strectch this when the discomfort subsides.

I did not see the point of going to see anyone today as they will most probably tell me that I need to continue resting etc etc and take it easy on the running front.

So my 10k a week on Monday is looking doubtful. I have not given up running it but I cannot see myself racing it.

The only positive is that this is not a running injury. It is one of those freak things that you cannot control. It just happens.

But I have been miserable today. Not good. image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Bloody hell Carl, what rotten luck. Hopefully it is just a 'knock' and you can 'run it off' quickly. Cyclists on pavementa are a pet hate of mine and I am quick to tell them so if they head my way. It would have been nice if someone had stopped and asked you if you were ok, people eh.

Big_g - well done on the weight loss and particularly the reduced alcohol consumption. I have always struggled with my weight but on my last marathon training I lost about 1.5 stone. However, since being out injured I've piled most of it back on. I've been good this week though until tonight but overall doing a lot better. 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Went out for a trot earlier and managed 7.5 miles. I found it quite hard going tonight and my legs were feeling a bit heavy. At least I'm slowly building back up again which is good. I'm due to start training for Chester in a couple of weeks so hopefully I will be ready for that. The knee started being uncomfortable straight away tonight but it didn't get any worse for a few miles. I got to 5.5 miles and the pain started to increase a bit. This time though the pain kept coming and going but I could carry on running. Whilst it still feels like it could go at any moment it does seem to be getting better, although I don't have too much confidence in it at the moment. Hopefully that will come shortly 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Crikey Carl - bad news!  As Carter said, hopefully you run it off and get back to training.  Presuming you get back to it and are in good shape on the start line, I still think you're going to do well at your 10K.  You've been posting some good times in training.  I smashed my 10K PB a few weeks out from my marathon, so the marathon training does help at the shorter distances.

Carter - for me regarding the weight loss it was 2006 and I came back from a great holiday in France but looked at some pics afterwards and I was horrified.  I jumped on the scales and they confirmed that I'd gone the wrong side of 17st for the first time and I was only 30.  I am tall, but I knew I was overweight and something had to be done.  

I was always pretty active at school, but Uni/job/life put paid to that and I knew I had been putting weight on gradually, but convinced myself I was still okay.  On seeing those pics I joined a gym and did my first Half in 2007, and that time stood until October 2012 (1:55).  I actually got down to 14st fairly easily (I chose that as that made me just inside the healthy BMI scale) and fluctated around there until last year where I decided if I really wanted to get faster at running I had to lose more, and I wasn't getting any younger, and I did 1:42 in March this year and I think there is better to come.

I'm definitely not overweight now, but I'm not ideal running weight.  It was actually relatively easy to get down to 13st in terms of food, but I did find the reduction in alcohol tough certainly in the first few weeks, but I am convinced it was the reduction in booze that made the difference.  I found it very hard to sit in a pub just sipping coke and, being honest, the reaction from my mates didn't really help.  Eventually they could see I was serious and they began to lay off the pi$$ taking a bit.  Getting down from 13st to 12st7 (if that's what I decide to try and do) I think will be harder than going from 14st to 13st.

The benefits were kind of cyclical for me.  Reduction in booze led to a reduction in weight, which led to me getting faster, which meant I was more happy with my decision to reduce the booze....and so on.  It also means I haven't lost training runs to a hangover!

I'll never be tea-total (I don't want to be...I love real ale!!) but the difference between now and this time last year is huge in terms of my intake.

(Apologies for the long, rambling post.  I know this is a running forum and not a weight loss one, but I thoight I'd share).

• Options

Carl - what a nightmare! Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery.

Big G - cut out the crisps and the wheat. Eat more vegetables. All that 5 fruit and veg a day is nonsense. Around 75% of what we eat should be fruit and veg. Also the idea that runners need to eat mountains of pasta is rubbish. It's really not necessary. Do that and the weight will fall off.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Cut out crisps ? Are you mad man !!!

I've just seen an interesting question on another thread - do people think physio sessions actually speed up the healing process or does it just make us think its helping and make us feel better ? I'm personally not convinced they work. I think that if I did all the stretches and strenghtening exercises that can be found on the tinterweb and increased the running slowly (both of these things I am currently doing, admittedly told by the physio) then my injury would get better. Would it get better quicker having physio as well I'm not sure. 

What are people's thoughts ?

• Options

The benefit is in diagnosing what the problem is and therefore knowing what exercises you need to focus on. We all have weaknesses....

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Spoons/Carter - I had a feeling the advice would be "cut out bread and crisps".  I'm twitching at the thought....image  Eat more veg/fruit is something to look at though I agree, although I don't think I do too badly there already.

Carter - I'm not sure about physios either, although I do use one when I feel I need to and it's nice to talk through stuff with "someone who knows".   I am not trying to annoy a whole industry as I know it takes a lot of knowledge/skill to become a Physio but a lot of it appears to be RICE and then stretching/strengthening.  I think I've only ever been told of one stretching exercise to do by a Physio that I wasn't already aware of (that exercise involved me kneeling on the floor, someone holding my heals, and me slowly falling forwards).  Speaking to someone about it though is reassuring.

I have had what I would term a "bad" physio and also a "very good" one.  The "very good" one also happened to be a runner and knew where I was coming from when I said "I'm a runner and I want to continue running, so please don't tell me to stop running unless you feel it's absolutely necessary".  The "bad" one didn't really seem to have much of a clue at what that particular issue was (it was a back injury) and was very keen to discharge me even though I had made little improvement.  I wish he had just said that he couldn't help rather than wasting mine and his time.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

OK. So I've now had 6 physio sessions and he has confirmed what my injury was (even though I told him what I thought it was on my first visit) and told me what exercises to do (which I could have got off here and other websites). How much am I benefitting from the physio if I still keep going for the next few weeks ?

• Options

Carter - possibly not much if you already have diagnosis and what to do to fix it. I only went once in the spring when I got injured. However - a mate of mine does sports massage so I get him to give the legs a going over every month.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Update on me. Lower back and knee seem to be much better today but ankle is still an issue. I am wondering if I have got some achilles tendon damage as the pain is bang in the middle of the ankle bone. It is not causing me too much discomfort whilst walking normally. I feel it when I am going down stairs and if I bang it. Going to give it a few days rest and see what it is like. Really not happy about this.