Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carl/Ricky, Yes just relaxing at the moment. Funnily enough I have been tired this week. More than when I was training hard....Just going to try and stick with the garmin and behave myself and see what happens at mile 20 ;0)

Thanks for the advise guys and yes, get yourselves up here next year!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nell - best of luck Sunday. Do you know what the weather forecast is like for Sunday ?

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Thanks Carter, so far looking at 12-14C with 7-9mph wind. I'll take that! Course goes along the East Lothian coast, so hopefully a cool wind coming off the sea....

• Options

Sorry gang - I'm really struggling to get online. Too busy at work and no internet at home. Have a good bank holiday and keep training hard!

• Options

not wanting to brag Carl but I have beaten Mo Farah stay completing VLM this year I managed my greatest claim to running fame by completing a race that Mo entered and didn't finish (I'm choosing to ignore yet the fact that he never intended to finish!) 

getting myself a Physio ap sorted for next week to look at my achillies in case it is something more serious than just tightness

Nell, those conditions look pretty good! Sure you will do great

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

...lol! That's what everyone keeps saying Andrew, which makes me nervous. But, thank you ;0)

Just popped around the corner and the digital road sign on the roadside was displaying the road closures message for the marathon.....little shiver down spine moment.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - you should brag and brag even more. Just goes to show that when you don't put the effort in you cannot complete a marathon. You put the effort in and somebody else clearly did not. Need to be careful not to mention his name just in case he is reading this thread and decides to sue me. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - exciting times. Just one more day of rest relaxation and carb loading. Enjoy the experinece. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Did not go out last night as it was chucking it down so went first thing this am. Not a great run if I am being honest. The ankle was quite sore so it made running difficult. I was trying out a support but am wondering if this was part of the problem as it would have restricted movement. Ran about 3.5 miles at 8:30 pace but really struggled to get any feeling of easy  into it. As the ankle was hurting I think I was try to compensate for it so it meant that my running style was all wrong.

really annoyed with myself at the moment as after my run on Wednesday I was feeling a lot more positive.

I am beginning to think I need to rest it to allow whatever damage I have done to repair itself. 

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Thanks Carl, Yes, just relaxing today. Went for an easy 2 mile run this morning to stretch the legs and just having a quiet day today.

Sounds like the ankle indeed requires a rest Carl.....I know it is not easy.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Afternoon all. What a glorious day it is. I'm burnt already as I've been cleaning the gutters and jet washing the drive. I wasn't built for manual labour ! Just off to take the mutt for a walk and stopping off for a couple of shandies. Will then come home and sit in the garden and enjoy the weather. 

Best of luck to all of you racing at the weekend and make sure you take on board plenty of liquids. And, of course, don't go off too fast !

• Options

Sounds like you may need to rest up a couple more days Carl image

I got out early for a little six miler this morning, but it was pretty warm even then!! I'm thinking the Salford 10k in September...will confirm once I've entered!! image

• Options

Carter - I got a bit burnt also on my Golf outing yesterday ... great weather again today! No running though - I have been busy with work, kids etc all day & am only just in from getting things prepped for camping trip tomorrow.

Early AM run before I go hopefully.... then off to campsite (Van Morrison is on in the grounds of the National Trust property where we are staying tomorrow evening image)... Hoping to get a trail run in on Monday/Tuesday while we're there.

Don't know what tinternet will be like at campsite  so Nell & Andrew all the very best for tomorrow & Carl for Monday!!

• Options

You have to love that strange relief you get when you notice that just where you have had a pain on your hip area all day that may be caused by IT band actually has a small visible bruise! For the last two yrs when ever I get bruising sensation on my legs I fear the worse until I see an actual bruise (just can never work out what I must have walked into, or if they are caused by self massage!) found a Physio so booking an ap for while I'm on half term to give my legs and ESP my Achilles the once over so fingers crossed nothing worse than tight muscles in need of stretching, strengthening and a little resting! Still gonna go for it tomorrow morn tho. Will let you know how I got on in the afternoon.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Best of luck to both Nell and Andrew today. Funny how we go from running in attic conditions to getting sun burnt. 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - maybe you would get better weather if you ran outdoors ??

• Options
    carterusm wrote (see)

Carl - maybe you would get better weather if you ran outdoors ??

A nice 9 miler in the sunshine this morning, it is ridiculous I went out in torrential rain on Friday and got soaked to the bone, today it was vest and sunglasses weather. I finally feel like I am back into the groove after my post marathon come down so happy days.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about Nell and Andrew's races later on and then it is all eyes on Carl tomorrow.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - great to hear that things are coming together again. Always takes a while after a marathon to get back into the groove. 

Not sure that I will be able to deliver the kind of performance that the eyes will be looking out for. 

I will give it my best and we will see what happens.

• Options

Afternoon all, well race prep could have been better, got the kids all ready to go in good time, got half way to the race and realised that I'd left my time chip at the house. Que mad drive back to pick it up and get the race as they are calling for runners to line up. Felt very weird pushing myself towards the front section of the pack rather than my usual let the masses go then fight with the crowds. Flew past the first k marker realising I needed to reign myself in a little, didnt need to panic, a large section was ran on riverbank grass which slowed the pace slightly. Pushed fairly hard throughout and managed to find something extra for the final two k, although final last k was ran through a field with horribly uneven surface so going quickly was risking a fall. Nice sprint finish to cross the line in 43.03. 

Would have loved to have knocked off those last 3seconds but its still over two mins off of my PB. So that's now 3races in five weeks. VLM, a half mara and a 10k PBs in all 3, half an hour improvement for the mara, under 1.40 for the half and now just off 43 for a 10k. Now for the Physio!

• Options

Looking forward to hearing how Nell has done, and Carl, don't worry how you do, with the problems you have had of late it's a great achievement just to be at the start line! There will be plenty more races

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Andrew - absolutely fantastic result for you. A great PB. With 3 races in 5 weeks it is no wonder you re heading for a on e session with the Physio. Enjoy the rest of today. 

• Options

Andrew - Great stuff there my friend, I think you are fully entitled to some TLC after 3 tiptop PBs.

I have spent a far less strenuous afternoon ploughing through the Sunday paper out in the garden and googling Trail shoes. Is there a reason all trail shoes are so ugly? I know they are going to take some abuse but they could at least start by looking half decent.

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

H Guys

Well here we go, Edinburgh Marathon today. Woke up to a perfect morning, Forecast was Sunny/Sunny Intervals 12-15 degrees, with a light wind. So was looking pretty perfect and to be honest the weather was throughout the Marathon. Had a mix of sunny intervals throughout. Got to the start at Regent Road eventually, I headed for the start and proceeded to take everyone to the London Road start (my wife gave me one of those I told you so looks) and we headed up to Regent Road (I let her lead). Come on I had a lot going through my mind...lol!

I was in the 4:30 pen as when I started training after the ITB issues I really had no idea how things would pan out. I knew I was hopefully going to be faster than 4:30 but thought I would keep myself on the side of caution.

I must say from beginning to end the support was great. The marathon spends a lot of time going down the East Lothian coastline and the villages and folk along the way were great, supplying us with jelly babies, water and even segments of orange. The only thing I found slightly annoying was the use of headphones, sorry if I offend anyone, but I did found on occassions being totally cut up by folk who obviously had the music blaring away and no concept and awareness of folk around. One woman went head over heels (luckily she hurt only her pride) I am sure she just lost balance and having the headphones on didn't help her balance. Quite odd as they are officially not allowed on the EMF Marathon, but the amount of people wearing headphones is amazing.

Anyway the numbers:

8:19, 8:03, 7:42, 7:41, 7:47, 8:03, 8:05, 7:58, 7:57, 8:02, 8:02, 8:00, 7:56, 8:08, 8:01, 8:00, 8:07, 8:10, 7:56, 7:56, 8:07, 8:08, 8:07,8;37, 9:00, 8:22, 2:47

Mile 1-2 was coming out of the start and around towards Meadowbank heading towards Leith. This was quite a congested area, but I manged to stay on the sides and get by where I could.

Mile 3-5 was pretty much less congested as we had the whole road and was a slight downhill in some places.

Miles 6 -22 I had noticed that the last 3 miles were quicker than I had anticipated and had to think come on Nell hold back a bit, so miles 6 - 22 were pretty much getting into a good rythym which I had found and just cruising along and to be honest, enjoying the run. When I got to Portobello at Mile 6 and saw my wife and kids, I gave them a wave, to which my wife shouted "You should be back there!" so no photos...lol!

Miles 22-25 - Mile 22 the ITB kicked in on the left knee (sh*t) was the operative thought, but I just tried to keep the composure and headed on. Mile 23 the right knee came out in sympathy (double sh*t) was then the operative thought. as you can see 24 and 25 miles I was suffering a bit. This was quite annoying as I had the energy to kick on here but the moving parts were not playing ball.

Mile 26 & a bit - Crowds were thickening now and the support really good. Right I thought, b*gger you knees I'm going for it now, I starting my mantra of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 keeping the cadence quick and posture correct. This seemed to help although God knows what people thought of this eejit counting up to 8 out loud...This seemed to help and with the support of the crowd and my little mantra going I seemed to almost forget about the knees and pick things up and finish with a little push.

I took SIS gels 5,10,15 & 20 miles (15 & 20 caffeine ones). Taking in water at the stations not overdoing the water. There were plenty of water stations so this worked out well. I think the nutrition went well, I didn't feel like hitting the wall, it was just the knees that let me down.

Finish time was 3:33, bit of a bummer really as I feel if the knees had held up I could have finished stronger. But then hey, last January I didn't think I would make a marathon.

The thing is fi

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

cont....

The thing is finishing the wrong side of 3:30, do I really want to leave this crazy wacky club with such unfinished business?

Hell, No!

Well, I have a bottle of Innis & Gunn in the fridge, with my name on it. I will leave you lovely people to savour it....

• Options
    Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

well done Andrew, super time and great feeling to get a pb ;0)

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Err Nell. 57 minutes better than expected is bloody great going mate. Sounds like the race went pretty much to plan which is great. Even miles 24-25, where you say you suffered, is excellent going bearing in mind the ITB issues. Already you are talking about your next marathon which shows what a great race you ran today. Well done and enjoy the I & G. 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Andrew - brilliant running, another PB is a great achievement, you're certainly in a rich vein of form. What's up next for you ? 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well, I've had a rather nice day today. Mrs C recently declared her desire to get a bike and get out and about. So this morning we went and bought her one. I wiped the cobwebs off my old mountain bike and we went out for a few gentle miles on the trails. I then fired up the BBQ and made a feast fit for a king. Obviously there were a few magners as we sat in the sun and chilled. Then we took Harvey out for a nice walk and swim and now settling down with a beer and more chilling

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Nell - absolutely mind blowing stuff from you today. A fantastic PB and something to be really proud of. That has got to be one of the best raced marathons that I have read about in some time. Great result. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So a stonking PB in the marathon from Nell and a really fantastic PB in the 10k from Andrew.

Next up me. Hmmmm .......  

Just back home in London after a 3.5 hour drive from Liverpool. Just realised that I am racing Mo Farah in the morning. Not sure I am ready for that but we will have to see what I can do.

Mrs D is talking about bringing the kids in to watch which is a first. So the pressure is mounting. People watching and some great results so far this weekend.