Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Morning - last minute decision - I'm off to a local fun run this morning. 4.5 mile lap - you can do 1, 2 or 3 laps so a half marathon ish. I can always pull out after a couple of laps if I CNBA lol. Looks warm out there. Not a cloud in the sky.

Carl - I also love ice cream. I've recently discovered Solero. Only 97 calories each so you can eat 3 of them rather than a Magnumimage

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Have a good run Spoons. 

Im going out for a few steady miles later. How far depends on how the knee feels. 

Healthier eating starts from today and reduction of alcohol intake

• Options

Wonder how Carl got on?

Had a brisk enough 12.1 miles this morning @ 8.15 pace avg. I need to run 40 secs a mile faster than this for sub 1:40 next Sat... It feels like a massive amount image

• Options

woohoo Spoons - go for it... 3 laps please!

• Options

3 laps done! 1:40 / 7:50 pace. GF got a trophy as well image

• Options

Excellent Spoons - well done! I would take that pace next week in my HM.

your GF deserves a trophy anyway just for putting up with you I reckon!

• Options

Hey Sicknotes! 

So much activity on here and oodles to cover. I grabbed a few days away in the Greek sun, or "Research" as far as the Taxman is concerned but I was very disciplined and ran everyday, It was a quick pack and dash and we were very fortunate with the hotel, it was bloody fantastic.  It'll come as a suprise to most of you to learn that I didn't get lost once, but in my defence my route was up a mountain and back down so even a chump like me hasn't too many difficulties knowing what direction I should be heading. Up followed by down.

I ran in the early morning before the heat got to much (and before a single local was awake) and the whole change of scenery worked wonders for reestablishing my motivation to run.

Back home last night and this morning got up and did 12 miles along the riverside, which in the sunshine was a really pleasant way to start the day. 

I've sped read to catch up with everything that has been going on this week so in no particular order hard luck, good luck, well done that is awesome, unlucky mate, better luck next time, welcome to the thread and oooh sounds painful.

I think that pretty much covers everything and everyone. image

I've a HM next Sunday which will serve as a good test of the state of my fitness after a bitty training regieme after my marathon. I seem to be either okay physically but find my motivation and concentration waning or feel well up for it but the body doesn't seem to want to know but I don't think I have done one run lately where it has all come together. Maybe next weekend is that race!?

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons - excellent time considering how much moving house has got in the way of some decent training. Looks to me that you are back.

Oirish - good to hear from you. I was wondering if you had got seriously lost on a training run but a holiday sounds much better fun.

Been a busy day with the family today after my short trot so did not get a chance to post before now.

10k done for me. What a lovely day for running. Great sunshine but not too warm when i was running with plenty of shade being provided by the leafy route.

The park was very busy with people out and about. Start and finish area had a lot of support. Cricket matches were being played as well so overall the atmosphere was great for a race.

About 500 runners I reckon. Paths slightly narrow during the first lap until the field spread out. Well marshalled.

My splits were as folows : 7:15; 730; 7:30; 7:29; 7:30; 7:26; 1:49

So overall 46:29 which knocked 29s off my PB from Monday.

This was a much better race from me. More of a consistent pace throughout and considering that I had not run since Monday I have got to be pleased with that turn up and run result.

Just need to get back into the saddle properly now, stop work interfering with my training and see if I can get sub 45 over the next few races.  image

• Options

Carl, Spoons, good running this weekend guys. Carl, that's a great run, I've no doubt you will break 45 very soon!

ive not had the chance to go out despite the gorgeous weather. Had a nasty cold for the past 3days. I ran with it on Friday when I did those 2miles. Felt rotten in the evening so not been out again since, means ive not had the chance to test the achillies further but it's felt pretty good generally and I've continued to beast it with the roller and let's face it, any excuse for a spot of self massage! (Is that getting less funny yet?) so fingers crossed as soon as I'm feeling better, I can hit the trains again.

• Options

Nice work Carl

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Carl you're obviously making good progress, and pretty quickly.  Well done!

I've missed all the nice weather working this week but am happy I still managed to get myself running 6 days.  Not a huge amount of miles, around 25, which is a lot less than last week, but work has been hectic so it's been a case of little and often to keep me sane.

Finished this week with 4 miles on the treadmill tonight after work.  Next week busy with a wedding on the Saturday and trip to Berlin on the Sunday with my partner but going to try and run every day before the wedding and then run in Berlin every day too!  I love running in new cities!

• Options

Well run Carl - v even splits. Congrats on the PB ..nice habit you are getting into!

Alibali - little and often is good... Keep you ticking over nicely - yes running in Berlin will be great way to take in the sights!

I have had my biggest week since pre taper for Limerick... 35 miles for the week (4 runs) image

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

That's good for mileage for 4 runs Ricky!  Fitting in a lot of quality miles there!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Have just had a sneak at the training plans in my P&D book. Am tempted to go with the 55-70 mile per week plan. I hear you all say that I must be crazy and you are right. This means that I need to be able to comfortably run 15 miles as my LSR on the first weekend of the 18 week plan. With training starting for Dublin in 3 weeks time, I need to start putting the miles in again.

Ricky - looks like you have already started training for Dublin with your weekly mileage back up to 35 miles.

AliBali - looks like you have another busy week ahead of you but running little and often is better than not running so good plan.  

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

June 2nd - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

June 8th - Larne Half – Ricky

June 9th - Wargrave 10k - Andrew

June 9th - Southend HM - Oirish

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd - Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Carl, Bruno

June 30th - Thame 10k – Andrew

June 30th - Mersea Island around the Island race 12.2 mile XC - Oirish

July 6th – Para’s 10M Colchester - Oirish

July 7th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

July 14th – Dartford HM - Oirish

July 21st - Olympic Park Anniversary 5M - Carl

July 21st - Dundee HM - AliBali

August 4th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

August 4th - Helensburgh HM - AliBali

August 24th - Thames Meander Marathon - Oirish

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 8th - Langham 10K - Oirish

September 8th - Salford 10k - Rachel

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

September 29th - Loch Ness marathon - AliBali

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM – Carl

October 13th – Oxford HM - Andrew

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - good running today, was that your first race in your come back ?

Oirish - welcome back mate 

Ricky - a good week for you, what's up next for you ?

Andrew - hope you're feeling better soon, take it nice and easy until you are fully recovered. 

Alibali - 25 miles in a hectic week is still good, it happens to us all when stuff gets in the way. 

Carl - another PB mate, very well done. 45 mins is definitely on the cards for you this year. What made you chose the 55-70 plan ?

• Options

That's a lot of miles Carl, and more importantly a lot of time spent running.  If you're going to do that, build it up slowly and at the first back off at the first sign of a niggle.  These forums are littered with tales of people sticking rigidly to a high mileage plan through thick and thin and ending up crocked.

Sometimes the people putting these plans together forget that 70 miles would mean an average of 90 minutes a day running at MP for a 4 hour marathoner: that's a lot to fit in and sometimes means you end up sacrificing the quality runs just so you can keep up the quantity.

That said, if you can do it with a sensible plan and stay healthy you'll certainly get quicker.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  I've been a way for a week or so , so haven't been posting.  We went to see Jack Dee on the Friday, had a wedding on the Saturday and saw Muse on the Sunday at the Emirates (Muse are my favourite band and are brilliant live).  Then, we went to York for a few days before having a night over in Birmingham and them home on Friday 31st.

I got a 6-mile run done in York (around the River Ouze) and a 6-miler in Birmingham (around the canals) so with the 11-miles I did yesterday I feel I've kept things ticking over whilst being on holiday.  It's the first time I've ever got out for a run whilst on holiday, and I managed not to balloon in weight which is a bonus!

I had never been to York before, but it's a great city.  I may see if I can do the marathon in 2014 (2013 sold out very quickly) as I can see it being a great city to run around.

Then, on the Saturday 1st I was marshalling my Club's main event - the 32-mile Dartmoor Discovery.  I have never marshalled at an event before, but it was a great event and I am pleased I was a (very, very small!) part of it.  2 of my club mates each made the event their 100th marathon so they're now part of that famous club.  It was organised so they each had 100 as their running number which was a nice touch I thought.  It's got me wondering if I could train do the event next year, but it is reknowned as a pretty brutal course although the scenary is stunning.  Hmmm - decisions, decisions!

• Options

Carter - 2nd race - I did a little 5 mile race last week. I've got another 5 mile race on Thursday. And a trail marathon on Sunday......

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Good stuff. Are you racing the trail marathon ?

A pleasant run down by the canal and river at lunchtime and managed 4.3 miles without any knee pain. I have resumed my stretches and exercises so feeling hopeful that I can manage the ITB now. Chester training starts tomorrow........

• Options

Good news Carter

No I won't be racing - it will be nice and slow. I'm nowhere near marathon race fit.

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Started the week off with a lovely run to get the last of the day's glorious sunshine here.  Just over an hour, and about 6.5 miles.

Counting down the days till my week in Berlin and a week's running in a new place!

• Options

BigG - you've been busy... Sounds like you have had a grand old time to yourself! An ultra would be great - all about getting two back to back LSRs in each week in training from what I gather - huge time commitment to get the training in though.

Carl - I was having the same thoughts about the P&D 55-70 also and am Tempted . Dave gives some good advice on this though - maybe the 55 is a smarter option?

Carter - marathon training tomorrow! Wow full circle since I joined this thread 6 mths ago! 

Alibali - nothing beats summer running. I ran 4.5 miles round leafy country lanes this evening at recovery pace mostly with faster last 2 miles.

• Options

with regards to the P&D, could you look at the higher milage programme  but miss some of the 5 mile recovery runs in favour of rest days?.  The greater intensity of the mid week runs appeals to me but im not sure I could commit to that many days running everyweek with two small kids.  thnking that as my next mara is in April it wont work as well through the winter but may be easier to stick to for an autumn mara like you guys as you can make use of the early mornings and late evenings to get your runs in around work and family. I may use the 55mile plan for Brighton in April and then if that goes well, up the distance to the 55-70 plan to train for Abingdon in Oct next year.

its torture reaading about all your lovely sunny runs on here, my cold is still in full flow and feeling awful so still no running for me image even more annoying as i have physio this eve and so cant report on how the achillies has been reacting to running!

• Options

Andrew - YES - lots of people start with the schedule and tweak it, usually dropping the recovery runs first. I would start with the 55 first and if it goes well try the 70 next time.

• Options

A nice 7 mile cross country jaunt around the woods for me today, avg 8:35 minute miles.

It was a nice change from the norm and certainly tested the old joints. I came back dripping with sweat feeling fairly exhilirated to find my race pack for this weekends half sat on my doormat which always gets the old juices flowing.

So tomorrow is an early speed session followed by sitting down to watch the Lions opening game. I am now doing that prerace thing of umming and ahhing over what pace to run on Sunday, I am torn between giving it a lash and aiming to hit 1:35 or treating it as atraining run and doing it at Marathon pace so as not to jeopardise my next week's training.

No doubt I'll change my mind on a daily basis only to get on the start line and go for it anyway onceI get caught up in the occassion!

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

I love running through woods/forest.  Favourite terrain.  It certainly does test the joints, especially my ankles I find!  But is as you say exhilerating and I always finish feeling quite exuberated. It's nice getting to see some scenery too and not just roads/traffic.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ali - I'm a big fan of off road running too. I am 5 mins from the Peak District so have plenty to chose from. 

Andrew - Ive also opted for the 18 week 55 miler. 

Oirish - a nice session in the sun for you today. Go for it on Sunday image

So, day 1 of Chester training today. Gone is tempo Tuesday and in its place P&D have a lactic threshold run. The plan was 8 miles with 3 @ LT which is about 7:30 (haven't finished reading the book yet so not certain what pace I should be running at). Anyhow, I did 4 easy miles and then managed 1 mile @ 7:39 and another at 8:09. I was absolutely blowing half way through the first LT mile so could only manage 2. The old legs were like jelly too which is to be expected after the last 3 months. Still, it's not too bad and at least I'm off and running

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Can I ask a stupid question and can someone tell me what this P&D is that I hear you all speak of?

• Options

AliBali - P&D is the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger & Douglas that a few of us have purchased recently & intend to follow their renowned training plans for autumn marathon!

Oirish - nice to see you back! Ihave a HM on Saturday and have same pace dilemma.
    Ran a tempo run this evening - 1 ml w/up @ 8.30 and then 5 mls @ just under 7.30 pace. I had been targeting 7.35 pace for Saturday for a sub 1:40 but based on tonights run (which was hard) I think is out of reach given a bit of a fall off in fitness/training over last 4/5 weeks.

still contemplating giving it a go though but the sensible head says to go out maybe 7:45/7:50 and give myself a chance at least of a PB.

Heat may have been a factor this evening (19 deg in the shade) plus it was my 3rd consecutive run which is the first time I have done that since before Limerick (felt a bit tired as I headed out on my run). That said weather forecast for Saturday is warm & sunny also!

Carter - good running considering your layoff/injury woes!

Rest day tomorrow apart from 18 holes of golf booked for 4.52pm!