Options

RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Options

Good work Ricky

great news Carter

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Carl - once a week, Saturdays, is treat night. I do not have the willpower to give up totally, it has been tried on many occasions before and ended in failure. Once a week satisfies my greed and I can carry on again tomorrow with the healthier option. 

My head is burnt and chafing is present; it's been a while since ive run in the sun so I need to remember to take appropriate precautions moving forward. !

• Options

Well done Ricky, a really good performance given the circumstances. I suspect that I, like you might find it hard work but it'll certainly blow out the cobwebs and if nothing else I'll have a better idea of where my fitness is at.

The weather down here is a lot cooler so as long as the wind is kind tomorrow, there is a fairly cold occasional breeze about which I can do without, I shouldn't have it too bad.

Carter - I'm with you on the totally giving up alcohol thing, I am fairly disciplined about my drinking but if I even try to consider a booze ban I seem to drink more!!! It is great to hear you are back with avengence.

Spoons - Good luck tomorrow

• Options

OK - swimming, BBQ's etc all done so time for a post mortem:

Official chip time: 1:43.59

1st half: 50.18   2nd half: 53.54 (gun time splits)  so a pos split of 3.36 . What that tells me if I could have sustained the 1st half pace I would have gone v close to the elusive sub 1:40.

That said there was an endless hill of exactly 1 mile at the 7 mile mark & that combined with what seamed like searing heat meant very few runners had a neg split.

Finished 285th from a field of 900 runners.

Wasn't feeling it this morning even when warming up so kinda knew sub 1:40 was never gonna happen before even toeing the line.
    I decided to give it a go though and kicked off at 7:30 pace. First 2 miles were through the town and were well supported with live music, hi-fiving guys on stilts etc. Remember feeling hungry on the first mile which didn't bode well. Bit of an uphill towards end of mile 2 as we climbed out of the town and headed for the famous (and incredibly scenic) Antrim Coast road. Stinging eyes from a heady mix of sun cream & sweat already at this stage!
    Dispatched the next 4 miles along the relatively flat coast road in relative comfort at around 7:35 average pace. Through 10k in 47.20 so all good in theory.

However the course turns inland after this and gradually climbs for half a mile followed immediately by a tough full mile long climb. This was incredibly tough and in between the high hedges the air was still & the heat was ridiculous. My pace dropped off considerably here & the first 1:45 pacer caught me at the top of the hill. Sub 1:40 hopes a distant memory at this stage.

Right turn at the top of the hill and some relief with a 0.8ml descent back down to the coast road so was able to get back to near target pace and pass 1.45 group again.

Back along the Coast road to Larne.. from mile 9 miles onward I was finding it tough and having to dig fairly deep. Pace dropped off to just over 8 min miles over the last 4 miles.

First Sub 1:45 pacer passed me again at 12 mile marker - realised quickly that he was actually almost 2 mins ahead of his target pace so didn't stress too much about that.

Ran last 0.1 ml @ 6.44 pace to the finish - relieved to have salvaged a sub 1:45 from what was a tough run... made tougher by going out in 7;30 for first half when I'm clearly not in 7:30 shape!

That said I was happy enough given the heat and the lack of training since Limerick. I definitely feel my endurance has ebbed away which is to be expected with only two runs over 6 miles since Limerick and even then they were only 10 milers. I also have only run 3 or 4 speed sessions since then also. So to be only a min & half down on my Omagh time on 31st March is ok I suppose given all of that.

4 of us car shared up to Larne and the other 3 had great success - one PB'd and the other 2 were in the prizes! The white 16.5 stone Kenyan PB'd with 1:33.04 and the two girls won F50 category & took 2nd in F45 category with a 1:39 and 1:41 respectively! I am convinced that you must get faster with age as I was the youngest of the 4 and also the slowest of the 4 today! They are all club runners and by the end of the journey home had talked me into coming to the club on Tuesday night!

Splits:

7:28, 7:44, 7:24, 7:34; 7:45, 7:48

8:18, 8:42, 7:43, 8:02; 8:06; 8:14; 8:10; 1.03

Baton to you Oirish! Good luck tomorrow & you too Spoons!

• Options

Oh and I had a quick dip in the sea a few minutes after to finishing to cool off! Great ice bath!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - great report and I love the "Great ice bath" comment. Would be enough to stop my ticker from working.

I think you did brilliantly. It was very warm and as you say you had not really trained for this since Limerick. It is always hard picking yourself up after a marathon and getting going again.

I would not worry too much about your endurance. You knowcked out a sub 1:45 HM for goodness sake. A few weeks of focused training and you will be there.

So going to become a club runner then. Its getting serious. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - hopefully it is not too windy down your way today. I went out for a run last night and it was very windy which was a hugh contrast to the rest of the day.

Go for it and give it a lash.image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Ive just been out and done a hilly 13.2 @ about 10:10. Felt very comfortable and there  was no knee issues at all. I have forgotten what it feels like when your feet and legs ache after a decent run though. Sitting in the garden and chilling for a bit now

Carter - know how you feel.

Went out last night for a longish trot. 9 miles with a good hill in the early stages. 7:59 miling according to my garmin.

I should be pleased with that (and I am) but throughout the run my ankle was still annoying me. Not painful as such. More of a dull ache and a continuous twinge that varied from my ankle to my leg to teh top of my foot.

As this has been happening on and off since my altercation with the cyclist, it is clear that I have done something. It is not my achilles as i could not run if it was.

So I have being doing some research.

It would look as if I have peroneal tendonitus as these tendons wrap around the ankle on the outside from the top of the foot and extend up the outside of the lower leg.

I have ordered a foam roller. Looks like I will need to be doing alot of self massage as well as stretching exercises.

Researching what I need to do.

Also reading the forums some people have had to stop running while others have run through it but have lowered the intensity.

As I tend to overpronate I will need to sort this.

More later when I understand it better.

• Options

A quick check in as I 

am on my phone and the Guinness is being poured as I type image my unofficial time 1:36:32

Happy enough with that as a marker for the summer after rubbish training and a diet of beer and rubbish in the build up.

A full review to follow later.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - fantastic result.  Enjoy the black stuff. You deserve it.

Spoons - hope you are going well with your mara in many a month.

• Options

Oirish - v impressive indeed sir. Well done! 

Enjoy the celebratory pints!

• Options

Okay here we go, first things first the chip time was 1:36:26.

A PB by 2 minutes so got to be happy with that. Especially as that is 4 weeks after my marathon and I haven't done a single speed session since then. That coupled with a eat all attitude and plenty of booze it went as well as I could of realistically hoped and certainly deserved.

The weather was very cool, breezy and overcast which wasn't too bad. The course itself was a mile or so route from the town center start out to the seafront and then a out and back twice before another town section to finish on. The plus side of this was as much as the breeze was in my face it was also behind me for significant portions of the route so it was not a problem. The race itself was delayed for 15 minutes due to traffic congestion so having ditched my bag had to endure hiding out of the cold in the changing tent for as long as I could.

Apart from that it was really well organised, marshalled and more sponge and water stations than I think I have ever seen, and the medal is pretty good too.

I even managed a negative split of 3 minutes. The great thing about today has been it has got my focus back, training gets serious again next week and Guinness shares may take a drop. I feel 1:30 on a kind course is a possibility this year with the right preparation and attitude and if i don't go on the lash the day before image

• Options

Oirish - that's brilliant well done

28 miles done today. A great day out on the trails. Didn't get lost once!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - there are loads of positives coming from today. A new PB. Your renewed focus on getting back into running. Setting yourself the sub 1:30 challenge.

You did some great training pre your marathon and today showed that you have really benefited from this. Just imagine what the art of the possible is.

Really pleased for you. You deserve it. image

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Spoons - 28 miles then. That is fantastic. You must be really please with that. Will leave Carter ask you what your targets for this year are. Suspect looking after yourself so that you continue to recover from your injury must be one of them.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish - brilliant running mate. That's a new target for us all to aim for. Enjoy the gusiness

Spoons - doesnt a 28 mile trail marathon mean you 'must' have got lost ? What was your time ?

• Options

Finish time was 5:08. Around 20 minutes of that is eating cake at checkpoints. My PB on the course is 4:45. There was a new course record today - 3:58. First time anyone has run sub 4. 

• Options

Carl - running goal is to get proper fit again whilst remaining injury free. 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - cracking performance considering you have been out injured for so long. Sounds like you are a top cake eater too image Are you aiming for a PB attempt at Nottingham ?

• Options

Spoons- that is a cracking outcome, all that and cake too? image

Carl - You captured my mood exactly, today's run was living off the training and mindset of my marathon preparation, everything since then has been barely ticking over. l had a "possible 1:30 in mind today but to be honest my legs had felt heavy and letharghic all week, there wasn't any oomph in my legs to go quicker and I quicklysettled on a pace. If I'd started off on 1:30 pace I think I'd have died on my arse in the latter stages today. I feel I left what I had on the day out on the course, and that's all you can ask for really.

I am looking forward to getting back out ther.

e now

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Some great running again - well done Oirish on the PB!  Also well done Ricky on grinding out a sub-1:45 on a tough day!

My training is going okay, with 2 weeks until Torbay Half.  I got a 16-mile LSR (about 10:15min/mile) in on Friday night, and although I felt okay generally it was very hot.  I did 2 of the last 3 miles at 8 min/mile pace and struggled, but I think that was due to the heat.  It is a bit cooler today, so I'll see how I go.

I also did a parkrun for the first time on Saturday AM.  At 23:01 it wasn't a great time, but was only a relatively few hours after the 16-miler.  Also, I had never done the course before and I think with a few tactics involved for the mixed-terrain course which has a narrow start (so I got held up and  a couple of hills to navigate I could get 22:30 fairly easily (10K PB is 43:40, on a fast course).  Anyway, it's a PB too but only because I've never done a 5K beforeimage  I'd definitely do it again; it's jsut a shame it's a 35min drive away from me.  If it was closer, I could see myself doing it most weeks.

It means I did 39 miles last week which is the biggest week since the marathon at the start of May and I feel pretty good.  I still haven't got my pace bnack though, which is frustrating me but I'll keep at it.

I'm not sure what I will do at Torbay itself; it is dependent on the weather.  If it's too hot, I'll just do what I can to get around and enjoy the event and the scenary.  If it's cooler, I'll probably give it a good bash and see how I get on.  Course record for me is 1:55 which I would hope to break from a PB of 1:43 that I did in March.  It's unfortunately not really a PB course though so I'd be amazed if I PB'd; to be honest, I'd be delighted if I went sub 1:45, but we'll see how it goes on the day.  I do have a bit of friendly compeition with my sister-in-law in the form of a small wager.  The slowest of the two of us has to get a round of drinks for 4 people at the beer tent after the race image  I think I am going to struggle to beat her though but, weather permitting, I'll give it a good shot.

This week, I'm planning in the region of 35-miles with a 14 mile LSR on the weekend, and then a relatively light week before race day.

Weight wise, I've made a couple of small changes and with the use of MFP I'm back below my pre-holiday weight so it's good to see that going in the right direction too.

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Ricky, oirish and spoons- great running. I am envious of you all, both for great half marathon runs and what sounds like a cracking trail run!

i am checking in from day one of Berlin. 35 minutes run this morning exploring our area before we went out for the day. Then hired bikes and did 4 hours of pretty much non stop cycling round miles and miles of city! I felt exhausted after and had to have a little nap before my dinner which I'm just off to enjoy.

• Options

Very jealous Alibali image .... enjoy!

Spoons - great time for what sounds like a tough 'un! Well done  image

BigG  - you seem nicely motivated again and sub 1:45 looks very achievable for you @ Torbay

Oirish - you have emerged, without doubt, as the thoroughbred of this thread - that really was a stonking time given your prep... based on that I think you will go close to 1:30 this year. Nice place to be!

So yes Carl - I'm off to the dark side of Club Running tomorrow evening. Will see how I like it .... can go several times before I have to commit to joining....or not.

So..... I have another half in 9 short days. A notoriously difficult last 6 miles so no heroics and think I will go out much steadier around 7.45/8.00 pace this time and be content with 1:45

• Options

4.7 miles recovery at 9.01 pace this evening.

Took the orthotics out... gonna run without them and see if I really still need them?? Feels much nicer running without them and feet feel a bit lighter also.

Although maybe I should stick with them for training & just take them out for races (nice psychological boost with a few grams saved on the feet!)

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So I decided that this week I am going to stop work taking control of my life and get back to running.

Now that I know what my ankle niggle is all about and having done 9 miles on saturday, I think I can manage it whilst running. Clearly I need to be a little careful but with it not having got any worse and with me actually doing stretches now that are specific to the peroneal tendons all might eventually sort itself out.

So tonight despite the legs being a little heavy after Saturdays efforts I did 6 miles.

Plan was 2 miles easy, then 2 maybe 3 miles tempo and 1-2 miles slightly slower.

I also added an ankle compression sleeve to my running atire to see how that would help.

It took me the first 2 -3 miles to get used to the compression sleeve and for me to stop being very aware of the ankle. Then for the last half mile or so, my ankle was talking to me again. More annoying rather than painful if that makes sense.

Knocked out the miles as follows :

8:19; 7:56; 7:28; 7:15; 7:12; 7:50.

Average 7:40 min miling.

As I said the legs were a little heavy after the efforts at the weekend, and mile 5 was hard to keep it going.

Really pleased with that. Going to ice the ankle / tendons in a short while. And of course there is te obligatory self massage. Have booked a physio as a precaution for the end of the week just to make sure that what I am doing is ok. I am also going to have my shoes checked as maybe I need a slightly diferent pair.

Will go for a run again on Wednesday. Maybe a little longer than tonight with some tempo miles again. Am most likley to lay off the track speed work for this week and next week until I am sure that the ankle will bear up.

I am planning the 10k on 23rd June as a training un and hoping that all is well to allow me a crack at the sub 45mins in my 10k on 7th July.

Having considered things, I will most likley follow the 55mile P&D training plan and add a few extra 20 LSR's in as I think these are important.

Like Spoons I want to concentrate on my fitness and staying injurry free. The bigger mileage plan is probably too much stress for me right now and I am not sure I can commit to the 6 days out of 7 running.

Feeling much more positive about things and hopefully I can get the weekly mileage back up keeping the ankle issue in check.

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Well done Carl. I know myself how work gets in the way of our precious running. I have also made a decision like you lately that actually, running means a lot more to me than work, so it is mount to be my number one priority. What has work done for me? (OK, apart from the money!) but running makes me feel good and gives me things to look forward to.

Also Carl that's a really promising run you just did and I can't see you failing to do sub45 10k sometime soon.

• Options

Oooooh well yesterday was tender, my right calf was a tad sore to say the least so I went for a gentle trot earlier with a little trepadition but thankfully after a mile or so of me wondering if I hadn't been a little premature hitting the pavement everything settled down and I felt fine so did 5 miles in total.  A damned long stretch afterwards seems to have done the trick.

it does seem like we are all finding our way nicely after our round of marathons, there is plenty coming up for everybody and fair play to Ricky for getting back at it with the Lisburn half so soon. 

This week's target is a decent speed session tomorrow, a steady run on Friday before trying to improve my 5k PB at Parkrun, which considering I've only ever done one timed run shouldn't be that hard. image After that it's a 16 mile LSR on Sunday and then I'll hopefully be back in the groove.

• Options
    AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Another lovely 5 miles in around 45 mins done here in sunny Berlin this morning. It is glorious. And I'm feeling strong and fit- being on holiday makes me feel so revived...

have also entered the highland Perthshire half marathon on 7th September so am really excited to have 3 half marathons planned before Loch Ness marathon at the end of September. I am aiming to run every day in Berlin- SOS even though my runs are not that long I will have done some decent miles this week image And there are just so many nice places to run to!

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

AliBali - really good that you can keep the running going whilst on hols. Have always found this to be a struggle but that might have something to do with the young kids. Berlin sounds like a nice place to run. 

Oirish - great that you have got back out there so quick with no major ill effects. The first run after a longish race is always full of trepidation. Sounds like you are in excellent shape and that there is much more to come from you this summer. 

Also sounds like really decent mileage planned for this week and that this should mean you are back in there.

if I can get another one or two good strong runs in with no further ill effects from my ankle then I will feel that I am back in the groove. 

• Options

Everybody very positive and all on the right track for once - some good summer running times ahead image

That was a great run Carl given were you are coming from at the minute.

My first club session tonight and have to say I enjoyed it despite the rain! Began with a mile or so jog warm up followed by lots of warm ups inc high knees, heel flicks, fast feet, strides etc.... then we were split off into various groups with the idea being each group was of a similar ability/pace.
    We than ran 4 x 7mins @ 10k pace with 2min recovery followed by several 60/80m strides. Final mile or so warm down jog.  Just over 6 miles in total all on grass playing fields.