RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ali - good effort to get a daily run in while on holiday 

Carl - sounds like you are over the worst of it with your ankle and well on the mend. 

Oirish - you are recovering well but don't you overdo it. 

So, tempo Tuesday has been replaced by lactate threshold Tuesday according to P&D, it doesn't quite have the same ring does it. Anyway, the plan tonight was for 8 miles inc 3 @ LT which, for me at the moment, I optimistically aimed at between 7:30 and 8:00 pace. Last week I only managed 2 miles @ LT but tonight I managed 3 @ 7:54. I'm finding that I've definitely lost being able to run at pace for a few miles compared to where I was 4/5 months ago. It was really hard going tonight but I hung in there and did it so I know I should be able to get back to my previous form. Little steps and all that but a significant improvement on last week so I am pleased with how things are going, especially as my legs were already aching due to the cycling I'm also doing

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - good effort there sir. I'm thinking if joining a local running club but it is focused on fell running. I have spent time today looking for some evening fell races to compliment my training. How did you find the people at the club ?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons - how is the recovery coming along ?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. I've just checked my splits for the LT pace and they were 7:36, 8:20 and 7:44. Some way behind the pace I got up to previously but a good effort anyway. I am aching all over today though...

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have been missing for a couple of weeks, I had a week off from running completely. And at the beginning of last week went into the gym to perform some strengthening exercises and found out I was not quite ready. Bloomin ached up until Wednesday when I had a massage scheduled. So I took last week off as well!
    Had a quick scan through and reading some positive stuff, Carl looks like he is on his way to cracking 45 mins and Spoons is eating the miles up as well as the cakes, PB for Oirish, well done. I do not envy you running in that heat Ricky and from your report which was great to read I think you performed great considering the conditions. Glad to hear Big G and Andrew are getting back strong and my old ITB disciple Carter building those miles back up, good on ya...
    I have got back into things this week albeit unlike AliBali I have had do with Edinburgh as opposed to Berlin, but I think it runs close :0)
    Got back into things on Monday and ran about 3.5 miles. I was feeling good and just thought I would run and see how I felt. Started off mile one with 6:45 felt good, then mile 2 6:30 and then started heading back over the fields and took my foot off the pedal and ran the last 1.5 miles just under 8 minute/mile pace enjoying the morning sun. Must admit it felt good to be back into it. Bit of conditioning on Tuesday and met my pal at Arthurs seat this morning and took and run down to Portobello beach and back taking in 5.5 miles at about 7:55 - 8:15 mile pace. Just been buddying my pal on a Wednesday morning as he is getting back into running and it is good to have a chat. Knees were not too bad this morning, don't know whether it was my paranoia, but I thought I felt a twinge of the ITB in my right knee. It feels ok now, I will see how things go.

It was interesting listening to the body after the marathon. Knees were aching at first and then a couple of days later it was the glute and back leg muscles that ached. I am not sure whether the cause of the ITB problems at the end of the marathon were that my muscle were just not that strong enough. I had trained up to 22 miles but the runs were mainly 45-60 seconds slower than the MP on the day, until the last 5-6 miles of the training run. I had eased off the gym training towards the end, so maybe if the muscles would have been that bit more stronger I could have had a stronger finish. You live and learn I suppose and I will have to see how I get on going forward.

Having a look at the Haddington Half marathon on 10th August and seeing if I can line up an autumn marathon (if the knees are up to it)... Good to be running again, although unfortunately work takes priority I am afraid image

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Nell- sounds good to be back! If I could ease back into running after a period of absence with sub7 min miles I'd be a happy lady! Hope Edinburgh's weather is lovely just now? I do love running there (my city of birth, and home town being Linlithgow) Edinburgh Marathon was also my favourite ever race so it holds a special place in my 'running' heart. And talking of autumn marathons- Loch Ness is sure to be great- go on!

I did another 45 mins round Berlin this morning picking a new route I hadn't explored yet. Found a lovely park.

• AliBali- soooo jealous of you being in Berlin! I lived in Germany for a year as part of my degree, and my trip to Berlin was one of the best weeks! Mind you, that was just after the wall had come down, so I bet things have changed a fair bit since then!!

Carter, good running from you, it seems the injuries are becoming mere memories on this thread.....

• Great pace there Nell & great to see you back & at it!

AliBali  - back to Berlin for the 2014 marathon? (think you've missed the entry for this year!)

Carter - a fell running club sounds good... after all your long runs in the peaks practically qualifies you as a fell runner I would have thought?! I went to my local club with two members who I know so it made it less daunting - everyone was very friendly however and keen to welcome & chat.... so a good atmosphere all in all and a bit of banter too!

I was checking my watch from last night and we ran the last two intervals at sub 7 min mile pace clocking over a mile for each interval - on wet grass. Legs were feeling it a bit this morning!

Rachel- we went to parts of the wall yesterday and are going to the 'east end gallery' part tomorrow where all the famous paintings are. Truly amazing! 

Ricky- yes please to berlin 2014! The thought had actually crossed my mind already as I've loved running here so much. Cue much eye rolling from my partner....

i have been thinking of joining a club for ages. You're experience sounds positive Ricky. Do you think you'll keep it up? I always feel intimidated to just go along and start. I always think everyone else will be far better than me. Anyone else a club member who can tell me to just man up and go?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

June 19th - Lisburn Half - Ricky

June 22nd - Wales Trail marathon – Spoons

June 23rd - Toad Hall 10k – Andrew

June 23rd - Torbay half - Big_G

June 23rd - Hampstead Midsummers 10k - Carl, Bruno

June 30th - Thame 10k – Andrew

June 30th - Mersea Island around the Island race 12.2 mile XC - Oirish

July 6th – Para’s 10M Colchester - Oirish

July 7th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

July 7th - Lake Coniston half - Carter

July 14th – Dartford HM - Oirish

July 14th - Whirlow 12:12 trail race

July 17th - Bamford Fell Race (5 miles) - Carter

July 21st - Olympic Park Anniversary 5M - Carl

July 21st - Dundee HM - AliBali

August 4th - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

August 4th - Helensburgh HM - AliBali

August 10th - Long Tour of Bradwell (16 miles) - Carter

August 24th - Thames Meander Marathon - Oirish

August 25th - Torbay 10k - Big_G

September 1st - Regents Park 10k Series - Carl

September 8th - Langham 10K - Oirish

September 8th - Salford 10k - Rachel

September 29th - Robin Hood marathon - Spoons

September 29th - Loch Ness marathon - AliBali

October 6th - Chester marathon - Carter

October 6th - Royal Parks HM – Carl

October 13th – Oxford HM - Andrew

October 20th - Yorkshire Marathon - Hannah

October 28th - Dublin marathon - Ricky, Bruno, Oirish and Carl

• Isn'tit great the difference a few weeks make? It was all injuries, doom, gloom and despondency on this thread a short time ago butitfeels like the tide has been turned for most. That is becoming an ever more impressive list of races we all have scheduled.

I am considering a few tweaks to my schedule the Dartford Half clashes witha long standing engagement of  Mrs. O's and as it would be my third race on consecutive weekends I am not really sure that I am going to get the best out of it after what are two pretty challenging races preceding it.  

I have another half in September instead in mind, The Pleshey Half on September 15th which will be three weeks after my marathon so I should be in half decent nick to push closer to the 1:30 mark. It is meant to be very picturesque so if nothing else it'll be a pleasant shuffle around the countryside.

Also I will be in the Perthshire Half on 7th September, my third summer half.

oirish- I will take it upon myself to declare the fact that the turning of the mood on this thread, and everyone's better luck, is down to my arrival. image

• Ali -Something had to happen and if you want the credit for it by all means fill your boots. Let's be honest we were fast becoming the Runnersworld equivalent of the lounge of an old people's home,all comparing our aches and pains and faulty joints.

I am envious of your time in Berlin, great city. Lots of happy memories and a fair few lost memories too.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Thanks Ricky, yes it is good to be back!

Not sure about the Loch Ness Marathon AliBali, not sure that will fit in with my plans. Lovely setting though....

What is the Perthshire half like AliBali?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

AliBali - sounds like you are having a great time in Berlin. Berlin marathon has a good reputation so might be one for the future.

Ricky - sounds like you had a great time at the running club. Will you be going back ?

When I was training for the marathon during the winter, I sort of trained with one of the local running clubs. At least  we were both on the running track at the same time. Must be something about London as never once did anyone talk to me, nor me them for that matter. The freezing cold conditions might have had something to do with that. But I always felt intimitated as they seemed to be so much faster than me. Whilst there are obvious benefits to being in a running club one of my challenges would be getting there early enough every week. But never say never ....

Nell - great to have you back. They were some really fast miles for your first time back out. All looks promising.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Last night I could not get out as planned as Mrs D was going out to friends and it was chucking it down with the wet stuff.

So I said to myself that I would get up early today and get a 6 mile run in before I headed for work.

Boy oh Boy. I must have been mad. I am definitely not a morning person.

First of all it was very windy. It was gusting out there.

My garmin was not quite sure what was going on and the satellites must have been all over the shop as it clocked a sub 6min miles for my first mile and a 10 min plus mile for my second. I could not have run the first mile in 6 mins. No way.

Having just uploaded the data, it was all over the shop. The route is way off course from what I actually did.

Really bizarre.

I struuggled massively and would say that this was a sh*t run.

My body was screaming at me that it did not want to do this when I should have been in bed. My breathing was all over the shop. I really struggled to get the legs moving in any sort of decent rythem.

I did 6 miles in 48mins with the garmin telling me that my splits were 5:54; 10:41; 7:55; 7:39; 7:52; 8:00. This gives 8min miling which is right but have no idea what was going on with the watch. Hoping that it was the blustery conditions and nothing much more than that.

The ankle has been ok both during and since so that is a positive. However the compression sleeve was pinching my achilles which was not so good.

Going to try and get a short run in tomorrow evening with a long run on Saturday or Sunday depending on the programe of activities / parties etc that the little 'uns have.

Maybe I just need to do a few more early morning runs and I will get used to it.

• My runkeeper app on my iphone did that once last year. Had me running 4min miles.... was quite an inspirational run with the nice runkeeper lady announcing my mile splits every 4 mins or so!

Little uns impacting my running too Carl! - had planned to do my Long run this evening (don't want to do it sunday as its getting a little close to my half on Wednesday evening) but was informed at 8pm I had a dolls house to build - my little marathon finisher is 6 tomorrow! Bouncy castle & 18 kids coming for a party on Saturday with work thrown in for good measure on Sat morning....sooo looks like tomorrow evening after kids go to bed for the long 'un.

Yes will def be back to the running club - not this Tuesday though (race following evening)

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hmm. I just wrote a long message and my laptop crashed before I sent it. So, to summarise, hi everyone and it's good to hear from you all !

11 miles for me tonight. The sun was shining so I hit some new trails close to me. It was lumpier than I thought it was going to be and I did an Oirish and got lost on the way. The undergrowth was also very wild and this resulted in it being difficult to run in places and a bit of walking took place. Anyway, it took me 1:55 so the base building is steadily improving. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  I did a 13 mile LSR last night; it was supposed to be 14 miles, but I somehow miscalculated the route and only noticed when I got home.  Doh!  Anyway, it ended up being 11 miles at 10min/mile pace and then for the last two I purposefully stepped it up and did them in 7:40 and 7:31, which I was really pleased with.  I was tired at the end, but felt good.

I'm planning a slow 6-8 tonight after work, and then hoping to get to a parkrun tomorrow for the second time in two weeks (my first ever parkrun was last week).

I've found myself looking at other marathons.  A few people I know are going to Florence marathon in November.  It looks a great place, but I can't really justify the time off work for it and flying out Friday and back Monday would mean two days off work, and being a teacher Mrs Big_G couldn't come either.  So looking at UK ones I looked at Bournemouth but at 50 quid, that's a rip off so I'm definitely not doing that.  Isle of Wight looks interesting, but I hear they sometimes get traffic issues getting over and back.  Therefore, top contenders at the moment are New Forest in September or Dartmoor Vale in October.  I fancy the New Forest one as it gets good reviews, but a 2-week summer holiday in August wouldn't be the best lead up.  Dartmoor Vale is local to me so logistically is much easier, but it's a b***** of a course.  I have done the Dartmoor Vale Half a couple of times and there is a massive hill, which for the marathon course I'd have to do twice, so not sure on that.  On the halfs I've done I remember thinking "Hmmm, I couldn't face doing this course twice!" so I can't really understand why I'm considering it....

I've got plenty of time, but it's strange I find myself looking at another one now.  After my marathon in May I had told myself I wouldn't look to do another one until next year but I find myself researching ones for this year anyway image

Carl and Ricky- I am inspired at you making time for your runs at any time of day and having the energy to do them after building dolls houses and other child related activity! I don't know how I will cope when I have kids!

nell- the Perthshire that'd is one of the prettiest and most pleasant halfs I've done. Last year was lovely weather, great scenery, wonderful organisation. And good value for all that was included. Start near a swimming pool so lively swim and shower after. Course undulating but not too challenging. Was my first race at 1:50:xx too which I'd been gunning for so holds nice memories.

Sorry, lovely months lively swim. not good at typing on the iPad. 

• Building up nicely Carter - stick with it!

Fifth run in berlin today and ended up doing just over 1hr35 as I ahem got totally and utterly lost... Fun though! Had just planned an hour.

Big G- let us know what marathon you pick. I never like the idea of marathon courses that are just two loops of a half marathon course- demoralising when all the half marathoners drop out.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Bit of cross training last night, back to the beloved football. Must say it was good to be back and managed to keep up with the game. Guys I play with are at a pretty good standard and demand the same so I was glad not to be shouted at too much. Wowza, legs felt it a bit though, but feeling not too bad today...great fun though!!

Hi AliBali, Just checked and I am on-call on the Perthshire half marathon date...bah!

I have enrolled for the Haddington half marathon on 10th August, hopefully will be ok for that I will be over in Languedoc before that but plan to get a bit of running through the salt marshes and along canal du midi...

Hi Big G, Funny I had a look at the Florence marathon but flights are a bit restrictive from Edinburgh...it looked good though.

I am with you on the kids commitments guys, sometimes it comes in handy though,  planning to get a short run in tomorrow morning whilst the kids are at their swimming lesson...then if I miss my Sunday morning run I can get a hour in when I take my son to his rookie lifeguard class on the Sunday evening. Rules out a heavy tea thoughimage.

My daughter was a bit of a tom boy when she was younger so doll's houses were not high on my agenda thankfully Ricky...she just wanted to go in goals, still does and is far better than her brother.. lol!

Never had trouble with times on the garmin Carl, one I had before suffered with condensation. Ankle seems to be improving then?

Thought about going along to a running club before but it is back to the family commitments and time. I do nearly all my running early morning to fit in with the family and maybe because of that I am your reverse Carl, much prefer a morning run to later in the day now.

I think the Edinburgh running clubs are supposed to be quite friendly, I know a few people who are members of various clubs and I am told you can just turn up and join in...

You seem to be doing ok now carter, still performing the strengthening exercises?

• So much going on here! Every now and then I don't get the email saying there has been a post, then I check and there's been loads!!!image

• People getting lost on runs? image I don't understand it myself image

I have just received an email with the details of The Para 10 I am doing July 6th, the course description will not be available until the day because it is all through a local wooded area, part of it owned by the M.O.D. but what I did love was the fact that as well as confirming there are two water obstacles it casually mentioned they are currently at waist height. 

I have looked at the website and there are some pretty spectacular course photos on there, as a non swimmer it could be the last image of me alive.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Oirish - sounds an, urm, "interesting" race!  Good luck with that!

AliBali, I ummed and ahh'd about the marathon, but I've entered Dartmoor Vale this evening (that's the two lap course).  I agree it's not ideal and I'm nervous about the two lap nature of the race, but it works out best for me.

The below profile is from the Dartmoor Vale Half marathon, and the full marathon is more or less two times around this, apart from the last mile or so which splits off towards the finish.  The bit where it goes from 200ft to around 480ft in less than a mile is particularly challenging....  You can see it's undulating back down though, so it's really a case of "what goes up must come down" image

I think I'll need to get some LSRs in on some hills though!

Carl/Carter - can I add my name to the list?  The event is Dartmoor Vale Marathon on 20th October 2013.

/members/images/465898/Gallery/DMV_0.jpg

Cor lummy big G, them's some hills! As you say though, what goes up....

• I must be insane - 13.1 miles just done in torrential rain & strong winds!. Off to wring myself out - back later.

• Big G - looks like a tough profile - you have a heart like a lion! Good long run with fast finish last night by the way.

AliBali - you must be racking up the miles in Berlin..... excellent stuff!

Carter - you are now getting some great base mileage in.. things are looking dandy for you at last - you are a patient man!

Oirish - that race sounds right up your street! I have a rubber ring & some water wings here if you need to borrow them??

I could have been doing with water wings tonight - rain was incessant... Out in winter gear complete with hat - I actually had to wring my kit out when I got back in... floods everywhere out on the roads! This was my long run switched from the normal sunday morning as I felt running it on sunday was  too close to my Wed evening race.

I had a good run: 1hr50mins for 13.1 miles.... avg pace 8:28 with last 3 miles sub 8 min mile pace - last mile fastest @ 7:45..... felt good and strong on the last 3 miles despite being completely sodden!