RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. It's been one of those weeks where stuff has come up at home and I've not been out for a run since Monday. I hope to rectify that later today with about 18 miles up in th Peaks. There is a big orange thing in the sky too so it should be lovely up there !

• Hi all,

A fairl quiet week for me after last weekend's shenanigans, ony two runs a good ills session that pushed me pretty hard and a pleasant 9 miler last night just ticking over at 9:00 m/m pace.

Tomorrow is part 2 of my week of daft events, a 10 mile cross country race with two water obstacles thrown in. Once again it'll represent a new PB as 10 miles is a new distance for me, even better than that I have other 10 mile road races later in the year to destroy that PB. So 2 PB's in seven days image 

It doesn't start until 11a.m. so with predicted temperatures of 29c that waist high water could well be a relief rather than an obstacle. I'll give you the full run down tomorrow at some point of how it goes, I am even pacing someone for a sub 28 minute 5k Parkrun beforehand so it's a busy old morning.

Alibali - A steady couple of weeks should see you right I reckon, you are right to choose rest as your preferred course of action. Fingers crossed all will be tickety boo come race day.

I'm a big fan of running in the heat, I run wherever I go. India in Monsoon season was a highlight, the locals use to set themselves and their electric fans up on their verandahs to watch the silly white man go past each day.

Ricky - I had about half a dozen dead bugs stuck to my forehead after my run the other evening, it was not a great look.

Carter - You don't do things by halves do you? You seem to be either injured or thrashing around the hillside like a lycraed Julie Andrews. The hard times definitely seem behind you image

Carl - When I bust my foot I was still hurting first thing in the morning for quite a while, the first few steps were excruciating as my achilles refused to play ball but it was actually running on it that got rid of it, hopefully your physio will give you the thumbs up and you'll be back at it again. If you are half as bad a patient as Ime than it has been a frustrating period.

Have a great evening all and I will have a report for you at some point tomorrow afternoon, it may be a little later on as I am off to watch the British Army v New Zealand Army knock seven shades out of each other in a Rugby League match tomorrow afternoon, 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Best of luck tomorrow Oirish. 

Well, I set of at 3:00ish for my long run and according to Mrs C it was 30 degrees. All I know is it was chuffing hot as I was slogging up the first of 3 biggish hills. This called for a rethink of the route as there was no way I would have made all 3. After about 7 miles I was struggling to breath properly, my feet were on fire and I lost some tape that was covering my delicate nipple ! The next 9 miles were hellish and I had to walk in places as I was struggling to breath still. I covered the 16 in 2:48 which isn't actually far off my planned pace, but boy did I struggle. 

• Gosh, you don't pop by for a day or two, then there's so much to catch up on!!

Well, I intend to run a 10k n Wednesday evening. image It is our 20th Wedding anniversary, so we are going to break the mold of meals out and do a 10k together. It is going to be roastingly hot, but it's not till 7:30, and we can take a picnic in the park for later..should be lovely. I'm toying with printing a weeding pic to pin to our backs, or is that just too sicky?? Either way the heat and hills should prevent the ususal competitive streak, and I'm excited to enter an event again. My first since the marathon last October!! image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Rachel - I'm not sure a picture of you weeding is very romantic image

• oh ha ha Carter...typical, focus on the typo,rather than my romantic gesture!!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

This would have been a week where work got in the way so not running has not been so much of a problem.

But I am busting to get back out there. This has been a very frustrating few weeks for sure.

Oirish I think you could be right. I am fairly happy that it is time to get back out there. Some mornings the ankle feels fine and others it is stiff as a board. I could not make my physio today but am booked in for Monday. I am going to go to the running shop tomorrow to get my trotters tested and I might treat myself to a new pair.

And I might sneak out (now don;t tell anybody) for a few miles over the weekend.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - best of luck with your parkrun and 10miler tomorrow.

AliBali - I hear your fristration but a week or two's rest will probably have made a big difference.

Carter - sometimes the are other things taht need to take priority and its funny how this time of year seems to be when everyone struggles to get the full weeks training in. WE had no such trouble during the cold and miserable winter just gone by. Your recovery has gone well and you are in good shape so a few days out will not be much of a problem for you.

Rachel - back running a race. Well done to you. Bet your competitive streak comes out on Wednesday.

Ricky - another good little session from you this week. Ticking over nicely. Will have to try and catch you up as I need to be able to stay with you for at least the first mile when we get to Dublin later this autumn.

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Oirish- you are truly daft. That event sounds FUN!

rachel- your plans sound lovely. I enjoy evening running. I feel you get a it of a 'second wind', I normally feel quite energetic, and the evening sky is lovey too! Enjoy, and go on, be a big romantic and do the wedding (not weeding!) pics thing...

• Oirish best of luck tomorrow -looking at the weather forecast I think you will indeed be glad of the steeplechase sections!

Rachel - good on you - a race at last image

Carter great run - tough terrain in tough conditions!

I have busy weekend ahead and am also off to Goodwood next Friday for the weekend so am having to do some major juggling - so tonight I ran my long run which was 13mls with 8mls @ MP. Splits looked like this:

9.18; 9.05; 8.19; 8:16; 8.21; 8.25; 8:25; 8:19; 8.21; 9.04; 8.45; 8.51 

Total distance was 13.1 mls in 1:52.xx with avg HR of 149

My intended MP is 8.20 so I pretty much nailed that in the middle 8 of the session image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Great splits there Ricky, nice and consistent. 

Rachel - have a lovely, romantic evening and remember, if Mr Rachel crosses the line before you, he has let you win image

Enjoy the weekend everyone, looks like its going to be a scorcher

• Nice splits Ricky

Carter - mid afternoon heat long runs can be a killer. I'm sure they make running on a cool day seem so easy though so worthwhile.

• Carl - you will have no problem staying with me in Dublin trust me!

found it a fairly tough session last night... Legs felt tired when I set off .. No doubt still feeling the effects of the 10 miler the night b4!

• Good afternoon one and all. I hope you are all enjoying the sunshine?

A good mornings work from me. I got up to take part in our local Parkrun, I had promised to help a friend try to get a PB which was 28:07 but more of that later.

I had packed all my gear for The PARA 10 Endurance race I had at 11 - clearly it was important to allow the sunshine to really get going before we set off. Despite the cross country aspect of The Para 10 I decided to not go with my trail shoes but stick with my ZOOTs as my trails are fairly padded and the thought of them holding water wasn't that appealing  I also figured the paths would be dry and hard which thankfully paid of handsomely.

So after walking into town I did Parkrun and managed to cajole a 23:17 time out of my friend, by cajole I mean shout a stream of encouragement for 5k. Admittedly she looked like she wanted to thump me on several occasions but we were both ecstatic with her result.

So it was in a good mood I made my way the short distance to Para 10. Picking up my running pack I was thrilled to discover I was number 665. What is 665?

The number of the beast's next door neighbour. Boom tish. image

Anyway after milling around we were called up to near the start and did a quick warm up under the supervision of an Army PTI and managed to punch a fabulously good looking woman next to me square in the jaw during a star jump, she took it very well and had a little flirt which just goes to show what have always said - wooing, charm, hearts and flowers are all very well but nothing beats donning a vest and punching someone to really spark the romance. 

Anyway a quick read of her back tattoo and we were off, the runners first, alongside the runners and dogs and followed 10 minutes later by the "Tabbers" carrying 35lb backpacks. image 

For the first couple of miles I was ticking over nicely as far as I could tell, I forewent any timing devices as I figured waist high water wouldn't be a good mix and how prescient that proved to be. The heat was severe and my mouth was hideously dry by the time we reached the first water station just after 3 miles so took on as much liquid as I could. After 5 miles we reached the first water obstacle which was a 25ft crossing of a river at just over knee height, I adopted a high leg action rather than wading straight through it and got across fairly quickly and the cold really revitalised the legs.

Oh and did I mention there were camoflagued soldiers firing blank rounds at us and yelling at this point? 

This was followed by a mile of wooded trail and a fairly hilly section before another water station and then a half mile to the next water crossing. This was much deeper, how deep? If you were to slip over with your first stride and then trip over an underwater branch you discover it comes upto your neck. At some point I cut my knee, not badly but enough to be annoying and as I tried to regain my feet looked up to see a race photographer capturing the moment for posterity with a massive grin beneath his camera we tells me I must of looked ridiculous image

After scrambling up the muddy bank I was by now pretty tired, although nice and cool after my quick dip. It was another couple of miles of trail and finished with a run on roads for the final stretch. At some point I jarred my right leg on an uneven path and my calf tightened almost immediately "Oh deary me" or words to that effect I said and gritted it out to the end. I was just so tired, hot and bothered by this stage but there is something about a finish line that always gives me a surge of energy and managed a fairly decent sprint at the end even if my face was as contorted a

• as an OJ Simpson alibi.

A solid old lump of a medal, excellent  goody bag and a pretty darned fine t-shirt all earned the hard way and a great feeling of satisfaction achieved. The unofficial finish time was 1:22 something.

This was another tough event but really enjoyable.

I can't wait to see those race photos image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Oirish - well done fella. I will have to remember those pulling tactics ! And another PB too. 

I am currently sat in a beer garden in lake Coniston. It is absolutely scorching up here but it is stunning scenery. I've registered for tomorrow's race and while I was in the queue I was toying with the idea of running the full marathon instead but I soon knocked that on the head when I heard how hot it is going to be tomorrow and I saw the profile of the course. Right, I'm off to the bar....

• Great report as always Oirish! Sounds like you had a blast - v decent time too for a trail run with water obstacles... good stuff image

What a cracking day - just in from an evening of BBQ'ing and downing a few Corona's on the decking. Feeling very summery indeed

Carter - bet it's beautiful in the Lakes this weekend....yes I think you would have quickly regretted the full after a few uphill miles in the scorchio sunshine! The half will be a tough enough ask - all the very best for tomorrow & enjoy.... a dip in the lake after is on the cards I reckon!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - what a fantastic report from you. You have a way with words my friend. 1:22 for 10 miles in todays heat with a few water obstacles thrown in while being shot at is a fantastic PB. a really fun race and a great time too.

I reckon that there is much much more to come from you this year. And of course you had also helped someone achieve a PB at 5k distance beforehand.

You are becoming a legend on this thread. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - sounds like a great setting for a race and avery interesting pre race diet !!

With the heat you have made the right call. You have been getting in some pretty good mileage so it would be tempting to run the full distance but it might have just been a little too much too soon.

Better to be safe and all that jazz so I reckon you made the right call.

Best of luck tomorrow and take it easy.image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So today I went to the running shop. It is not far from where I work but I never seem to have the time to spend during the week. So back into town to see what they had to say.

I explained that I have had some ankle issues and that I wanted to see if my current set of trotters were the best ones for my running style. My trotters are Addidas Supernova 5's and I must admit that I have never been 100% happy with these ones. My previous two pairs of trotters were the Supernova 4's and they were fine.

This running shop does not put you on a treadmill nor hook you up to a computer.

They put you in a nuetral set of trainers and you go out onto the pavement where they observe you running up and down in a straight line.

The initial analysis was that I have a fairly neutral running gait. Then back into the shop for some squatting exercises with my feet firmly planted on the ground. This suggested that my right foot ever so slightly overpronates.

The very first time I had this done in Runners Need, ( a good few years ago) they told me that I had a nuetral running gait, and the next time I had it done by Addidas (about 18 months ago) they told me that I overpronate.

So today it felt somewhere in between.

it was time to try a new set of trainers. The first pair I tried were the Asics GT-1000. Up and down the street again. They felt ok and they confirmed to my helper that I overpronate ever so slightly on my dodgy ankle.

She then got another opinion as with my ankle issue she wanted to be sure. This person explained that between the Supernova 4 and 5 range that addidas moved the support in the shoe and that as a result it flexes differently which probably equates to why I have never been that happy with them.

She suggested a few other shoes to try and after a few more runs up and down the pavement in different shoe types I settled on the Mizuno Inspire 9 range. Felt very comfortable, much lighter than my trotters and seemed to work with my running style.

I found the whole experience really pleasant ( I am not good with shopping even when it comes to getting stuff for me) and must have been in the shop for over an hour.

Really pleased with myself.

I am going to try them out tomorrow and am planning a 2-3 mile gentle refamiliarisation run to help break them in but also to break me in after taking it far too easy for the last few weeks.

If this goes well, I will visit my physio on Monday and assuming he says that I am good to go (no doubt he will tell me to take it slowly and not to go too quick too fast and not to overdo the milage) I will use this week as a tranistion week into my marathon training for Dublin.

Getting a little excited as it has been a very frustrating few weeks.image

• Carter - Good luck today, I don't envy you one iota though on another hot day. I think the Marathon idea would of proved to be one of your sillier notions. A good solid half in this heat will represent a highly respectable return to action, I await your race report with interest. Go get 'em!!

Carl - I think the general consensus is more bellend than legend image

Where did you go to get your new footwear? Was it "Run and become"? A few years ago I went to their Victoria store and had a similar experience, the lady who served me was the owner and is considered a bit of a legend in running circles herself in matching runners with shoes. Although it is suprising how difficult it is when someone says "Run to that lampost and back" to actually run properly.

It is amazing how it feels when you slip on "that" pair. Everything just feels right, wearing my Zoots felt like putting on a pair of slippers. It was love at first sight.

Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll be just dandy. I'm pencilled in for a marathon August 25th but part of me is pondering this, when I first contemplated doing it the weather was atrocious, I was well aware it would be considerably warmer but it is getting all a bit more real and after my last two races I have to seriously consider whether I really want to put myself through it. Plenty to mull over.

Abi - enjoy your race this week, your romantic tale brought a tear to my eye. I think you should go for the photo idea, it's sweet.

• Good stuff Carl - I switched from asics kayano to mizuno wave inspires at the start of my limerick training (initially WI 8's and then WI 9's). I also found them much lighter feeling on the run and less 'clompy' (tech term!).. I have been well & truly converted after previously wearing nothing but asics. Good choice!

I actually took the bold/foolish step 3 weeks ago of removing my custom orthotics to further reduce weight/increase comfort. Fingers crossed no ill effects...yet.

However with 1000mls running between my two current pairs a new pair are on the cards. Considering trying the Mizuno nirvana (more support) to compensate for not using the orthotics. Also am tempted to try something different again - new Brooks range looks good. always in pursuit of something better - the grass always seems greener and all that eh?!

I have a stupidly early flight on friday and running opps will be limited on my boys weekend away so hoping to start my running week today with a 10ml GA after Mrs RW comes back in a sweaty mess from her mid morning spin class. Will make for a busy week as I need to squeeze all sessions in culminating in my LR on thurs night.

Oirish - how are the legs? hope you are not feeling to many ill effects from yesterday's assault course!

Go Carter!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Oirish - yes indeed it was Run and Become.  I have never bought running shoes there before but had seen loads of people running to the lamppost and back . Many looking ridiculuous in their suits and weeekday finery with their trousers rolled up so that the shop staff can see the foot and ankle clearly.

My wife thought me crazy yesterday going back into London town to a shop close by where I work. Decided that trying to explain to her that I wanted to get the right pair of shoes and needed to spend quality time picking them out was too much effort.

And I have to admit that it was a great experience. Clearly their methods for matching shoes to people attracts loads of people. In the hour I was there there was a constant stream of people running down the pavement to the lampost and back. Some still managed to look ridiculous even though it was Saturday and very quiet out on the pavement compared to the working week with all te adjacent coffee shops and sandwich shops closed.

Every pair I tried on felt good but the careful eye of the shop assistant picked out that my new Mizuno's gave my feet the best alignment tyhrough the running stride. They also fitted like a glove.

Really positive experince. image

Carter - safe running in that heat. .

• Ah the wonders of the rolled up suit trouser leg and trainer combo. I often imagine foreign tourists returning home and describing this quaint custom they saw. Lots of businessmen in peopleled up trousers running for 30 secs in their lunch hours.

Feeling pretty good today, I took the dogs out early doors for a quick bolt around the park before it all got to hot for the three of us and had a good stretch afterwards. I have taken to giving my legs and lower back the once over with a TENS machine after races and LSRs and it really does work a treat in loosening everything up, I think the high temperatures relax the muscles too so all in all feel plenty fresh.

I do not envy Carter running in this heat.

• TENS machine Oirish - are you preggers ?? Lolll - whatever works for you sir.

Feel for Carter - headed out in the midday sun for an easy 10 miler - boy was it hot! 

Lovely run, birds singing, smell of ripening barley in my nostrils... doesn't get much better than this!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

My bleedin' garmin is not worklng. image

A few weeks off and having left it in its cradle expected it to be charged. Blank screen. What might have gone wrong. The charger is working as the magnetic pull of the cradle is there just no flippin' juice getting to the watch.

Technology ..... image

Am currently recharging my old Nike + watch.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

A quick check in from me gentlemen as Internet connection is hit and miss. Full report to follow tomorrow when back to civilisation. Highlights are - its flaming red hot up here, topped out at 32 degrees apparently. The "trying to pull a woman by smacking her in the face before a race" tactic didn't work. The build up to the race wasn't ideal due to too many beers. It was red hot out there. My feet were on fire running on "rocks". It was a very hilly course indeed but gorgeous scenery. I found out I don't like Kendal mint cake during a run. The lake Coniston half marathon measured 14.3 miles on my watch. A quick dip of the legs in the river after the run did the trick as I hardly feel stiff at the moment. It was a hell of a hard race today but I came in at 2:15 which I'm quite pleased with. Did I mention it was red hot too ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - you are a star for running in conditions like that. Bet your glad you were only doing the half.  Red hot you say ............

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Ricky W wrote (see)

Warranty?

Ricky - yes have been thinking along these lines myself. Bought the watch online so if I need to go down the warranty route it might be challenging.

After much messing about with it over the last hour or so, I have eventually managed to get it to turn itself on. It might be that it was as dead as a dodo but not sure yet. It started showing taht it was 100% charged but then kept saying that it had a low battery. Recently it said that it was 88% charged and now its saying that it is 77% charged.

Am hoping that it had just got knocked off its cradle and ran down the battery. Lets see. Technology can be quite annoying at times.