RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ali – congratulations on qualifying to be a fitness instructor image Sorry to hear your ankle is giving you grief, are you seeing a physio or doing stretches etc ? Are you going to spill the beans on the case you are sitting in the jury for ??  I worked in Scotland for 3 years a while back and occasionally travelled up to Dundee (I never found a beech there though !). Do you live in Dundee or just running the half marathon there ?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Rachel – 20th wedding anniversary ? You don’t look old enough !!! I hope you have a lovely race and picnic and well done for getting back out there image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Spoons – definitely one you would enjoy. How is your training going ?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

For those interested, here is my run from Sunday - http://app.strava.com/activities/65589333

Poetry in motion....

/members/images/633987/Gallery/Coniston_2.jpg

• Carter - A 14.2 mile half marathon? Even I've never managed that! image The photo does look beautiful. The background anyway.

I'm an earlybird, I wake at 5 o'clock or there abouts come rain or shine and regardless what time I go to bed or how I have slept. My body clock truly hates me.

So over the years I have tried to make use of this time, I'm wide awake and can't stand lounging in bed, besides if I just lay there until a reasonable hour that would be half a day a week I'd just fritter away staring at the ceiling. The upshot of this is that come the evening I've been on the go for quite a while and not at the peak of my powers.

On the plus side I have saved a fair bit on alarm clocks across the years.

• Oirish - tremendous running there... 7.05 for 7 mls is mighty impressive!

Great pic Carter! Thats one for your screensaver for sure... Also comforting to see you have less hair than me image .... oh and let's get one thing straight - in no way did I run a 5 m/ml ... I ran 5 one minute intervals at 5 m/ml pace for each one which is a bit different! LT was tough in the heat yes - and we are getting v high temps for a change. Forecast to be one of the hottest parts of the UK today @ 27deg!

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Carter- the ankle has been (touch wood) fine so far this week! Two good runs and all well at the moment so fingers crossed last weeks slight rest helped. 

Jury case is nothing exciting to be honest! Low life criminals doing petty shit!

i live in aberdeen so Dundee is not that far. The half there is lovely and finishes at Broughty Ferry which I don't know if you remember but it's really pretty! 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I popped out for a LT run at lunchtime and could only manage 5 miles with 3 @ 6:57. The knees were creaking a bit so I called it a day at that. 

• Ricky W wrote (see)

Oirish - tremendous running there... 7.05 for 7 mls is mighty impressive!

The state of me afterwards wasn't I can tell you, I was shattered. I was doing 1.5 miles fast with 400m recoveries and I did a double take when I saw my stats, in fact I scrutinised all the info thinking something had gone awry but no it was just a good session.

I am meant to have a rest day tomorrow but with it predicted to being cooler tomorrow but scorching Friday I might try and do it tomorrow, it's only a steady 8 miles but I figure do that, go for a PB @ Parkrun Saturday and then the 18 miler that is planned for Sunday and job done. I think the 18 in the heat is enough punishment for one week.

What is everyone's plans?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Friday - 20 miles

Sunday - 12.12 Fell race at Whirlow, Peak district

Carter- good luck for Sunday and that's a tremendous photo of you at your last race!

Rachel- get your butt on here ASAP to tell us how you've done tonight.

I took a rest day today as unfortunately had to go into work after jury service till just after 7pm...but tomorrow if I finish early enough am planning to do same as I did yesterday, get in 6 or 7 miles in the afternoon, as I really enjoyed it the other day!  Getting to run in the afternoon any earlier than 6.30 or so is a rare treat for me!  Case is going on until at least tomorrow so I will hopefully have Friday as my day off work this week and get to do my long run then... fingers crossed!

• Rest tonight after 3 sessions back to back since Sunday....

Long Run of 14/15 miles tomorrow evening as I'm off to Goodwood on Friday so no running over the weekend!

Come on Rachel - we are waiting with bated breath!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi all.  I haven't posted recently, but I'm still lurking every day.  Good to see the running is going well and Carl, good to see you're back out again even if it's still tentatively at the moment.

I've been getting the miles in regularly and had a planned club session last night.  However, I didn't get to the club session as there was a late change of training route to one I don't especially enjoy, so I did a 5x1K session by myself with plenty of recovery in between (plus 2 mile w/u and 2 mile c/d).  It had cooled a bit, but it was a tough session and the stats for the efforts were:  

Time         Av pace
    4:09.7       6:41
    3:58.0       6:25
    3:56.4       6:21
    3:54.5       6:18
    3:59.7       6:23, which is an average pace for the 1K efforts of 6:25.

I'm relatively pleased with that as I felt strong on the run, but also disheartened as I did the same session on the same route (the only difference being that it was with the Club and not by myself) back in March and the average pace then was more or less the same (6.24), so I seem to have plateued a bit image

Looking back through my training log, I'm pleased that I've kept the consistency going with a mixture of LSRs, speed sessions etc (I've done 300 miles since my marathon at the start of May, covering 41 training sessions) but it seems I need to tweak something if I want to improve.  Not sure what yet though....

Rest day for me today as I've ran 3-days in a row this week.

• imageimageimage

Ok, it wasn't fast and it wasn't pretty, but we did it!!!!

Thankfully it was a bit cooler yesterday evening, but even so, when we saw the route, we knew that it was never going to be speedy! It started on the athletics track (2 loops) then went into the park where we did 3 loops, there was a killer hill (and I do mean killer!!) so steep that it was hard to actually run up it! There were grown men in club vests walking it, so our first challenge was not to walk! At least before the up hill there was the luxury of a down hill, but again it was so steep, you couldn't get maximum benefit from it, it felt like you needed to keep the breaks on, to avoid taking a tumble!) I checked my Garmin after the first loop and we were under an 8 min mile, but there was no way I was maintaining that! By the time we finally made it up the hill, my legs felt like jelly, I must have used some new muscles somewhere, as I felt I had no power in my legs!

The second lap wasa bit easier as we slightly slowed the pace, but knowing we had to take on the hill a third time was enough to make you weep! But, we made it and by then I was geting into my stride and by the final loop round the track to the finish we managed a sprint! image

Time was Slo-o-o-ow (56:12) but this one wasn't about speed, it was about comeback! I hope to get closer to my 47:58 PB at the Salford 10k in September, which I believe is flat!

Oh, and we pinned our wedding photo to our backs, so lots of congratualtory comments too. All in all a fab night!!! Woo hooo!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/r90/p480x480/1000091_10151588189572155_718882666_n.jpg

Rachel- who cares about time for this one- you're back! Well done, sounds a fun but tough race, and your photos on backs looked ace image congrats to you both on many years of marriage and running!

Big g- good times, I'd be proud of those.

don't be disheartened it was not faster than you've done before. 2 factors immediately stand out: a) you did it with the club before. Competition (even subconscious) spurs you on a lot more than running yourself. I know if you were with other people you'd be pushing that tiny bit extra to beat/keep up with whoever was in front of you! b) temperatures in March were likely a tad more optimal than the moment's heat.

• Rachel - great stuff! Sounds like you both had a blast! comeback complete - well done.

Speedy stuff BigG! AliB is spot on .. when you did it with the club in March you will have naturally pushed a bit harder.

Well I ran my long run this evening as I'm away for the weekend. The temp was still 26 in the shade when I left at 7pm (was 28 at 5pm!) and when I got back just after 9pm it was still 22! 

I ran 14.1 miles @ 9.02 avg pace and boy was it hard work - I am hoping the heat was to blame as it felt harder than it should!

Right - off for some shuteye... Up at 3.30am to catch plane to Gatwick!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Rachel - excellent stuff, good to see you back in action. By the way, did Mr Rachel let you win ??

Ali - how is the jury service going ? How many years did you send them down for ??

Ricky - could it be that you are running the longer runs too fast ? If you are following P&D and your MP is about 8:30 they say you should be running between 9:21 - 10:12 per mile on your longer runs. Of course it could just have been one of those days and the heat not helping either

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Here are this weekends races:

July 14th – Dartford HM - Oirish

July 14th - Whirlow 12:12 trail race - Carter

carter- jury duty finished yesterday so I'm having a day off today before back at work tomorrow.  About to head out for 15 miles or so in the lovely Aberdeen sun (don't worry all you English folks it isn't nearly as hot here- only about 19 degrees I thnk...)

Welll.... turns out the weather forecast lied, it was NOT 19 degrees out there, it was freaking boiling and the view of the sun from my window was a bit deceptive...much stronger than I had anticipated...

Went out but knew straight away I wasn't going to do 15 miles in that kind of heat just past midday.  So I decided to do 12 and gosh was it hard.  10 minute miles and to be honest I don't think I could have gone much faster.

Ran along the beach for most of my run and at the end stopped at the beach and had a dip in the sea to cool off.  It was blissful.

Oh well.  Happy I got a long run in if not as long as planned.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Good stuff Ali. 

I went out at 3 with the intention of running 20. Like Ali, I found it really hard going especially as the first 8 miles or so were a gradual climb up into the peaks. I got to 12 miles and my knee started hurting. I hobbled to 15 miles and couldnt carry on anymore and ended up walking home. Some rest is in order methinks

You have to listen to your body carter.  Better walking home than ending up physically and mentally depleted trying to run the whole way.  At least we caught some sun today eh. Does lift the spirits, this weather.

• Seems like the heat is making everyone tough out their long runs. 

Rachel yes - yesterday's LR was Slightly fast however I ran the last 2 miles at 8.30 pace which lowered the average a bit.

30 deg forecast for tomorrow @ Goodwood! Factor 12 I fear may be futile....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Wow. Been busy the last few days with little time to do much so have not been on. Will read back tomorrow to catch up.

Well done Rachel for completing your comeback. You must be pleased.

Best of luck to all those who feel suicidal this weekend and go out racing.

I went out tonight with not much of a plan. Started off at reasonable pace over the first 2 miles, picked it up for the next 2, slowed a little for mile 5 and then realised that I could get a reasonable 10k time so I pushed and ran 6.25miles in total.

Conscious of the ankle all the way round but it is just there rather than painful which I know sounds strange.

Splits as folows :

8:20; 8:10: 7:46; 7:33; 7:57; 7:31; 1:52(7:14)

Average 7:51 min/mile.

49:09 for 10k.

Pleased with that.

With the tempratures supposed to be very high tomorrow I might have a rest day and go out again on Sunday (early).

Plan to enjoy the weather tomorrow. Little fella is at footie and I might just lay out on the sidelines and take in some rays.image

• Good morning all. Just to clarify I am not running a HM this weekend, logistically it would of been a nightmare getting there so scrapped the idea a few weeks back.

In all honesty I think a few more solid LSRs are in order for me now in my build up to Thames Meander Marathon, with 6 weeks to go I am concious of the need to spend time on my feet. The tempersture for today is around 30 but light rain tomorrow which suits me down to the ground for an 18 miler.

Everyone have a great weekend whatever you are upto. I look forward to the sunburn stories on Monday.

• Parkrun 5k this morning and managed to chip off 29 seconds from my PB coming home in 21:08.

God alone knows where that came from!

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well done Oirish, I guess it was hot but not too hot at that time of the morning ?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Well done Oirish. I did Barnstaple parkrun this morning in 21.29 which is a PB for me at that distance, although I've never done Barnstaple before. I genuinely thought Barnstaple would be 20-30secs quicker than my 'home' parkrun of Killerton (Exeter) but my PB at Killerton from last week was just 3-secs slower. Barnstaple is a good event though and I'd do it again image

• Colchester has two bloody horrible hills in it but isn't taking place next week so I might try another local run, flatter preferrably and see how close to sub 21 I can get. I'll probably discover that I am better on hills than I am on the flat.

Carter - It was fairly warm, I was dripping when I finished and another hour and it would of been murder but I think it was just about right being warm enough to be nice and loose without combusting once I got going.

18 miles in the morning for me, I am getting up nice and early to get it done. there is a pub garden with my name on it and I'd hate to let it down.