RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Good luck tomorrow Carl! Sounds like a great finish ... on the Olympic track - will be a great experience. Just keep the image of Mo winning his golds in your head and you will fly!

Long run early doors tomorrow for me image

• just back from a 17 miler - avg pace 9.15 at a nice low avg HR of 139.

Pleased with this as my LSR HR for my Spring Marathon training was pretty much always 143 for the same pace.

Much cooler this morning which made life easier - just 19 degC when I got back in at 9.30am.

AliBali - think you are racing today too (as well as Carl)? Good luck  !

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I started at 7:30am this morning, which is quite early for me.  It felt much cooler as well, and I'm pleased I got 20 miles in at 10min/miles.  That takes my weekly total to 45, which is a record for me too image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Well done Big G. 45 miles in a week. It is some time since I was close to those lofty numbers.

Ricky - great pace from you this morning. Looks like you are in fine form and this summer running agrees with you.

AliBali - if you recovered enough to run today hope it goes well or went well as it must be done by now.

Cooler today. Much better running conditions but now need a good old thunder storm to freshen the place up.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So been there, done it and got the t-shirt.

You do this race to enjoy finishing in the Olympic Stadium. Other than that it would not be my first choice.

It was a relatively flat course with some undulations. But the course was way too narrow particularly at the start. It meant a lot of jostling and weaving which is not ideal. I also had somebody stop right in front of me no more than 0.25 miles in. He got no mercy from me or anyone else as it could easily have been carnage.

The OP is not big enough for a single loop, so there was a lot of out and back legs with many sharp turns. Additionaly the terrain was varied as it went from grass, to sand, gravel, tarmac, concrete etc.  And there was a couple of 100 metres in the bowels of the stadium before coming out onto the track.

That said I am pleased with my time. 37:43 with splits as follows : 7:29; 7:30; 7:29; 7:46 and 7:29.

Considering I was not as well prepared as I had wanted a 7:33 min/mile avg is pretty good. And this was on top of my 5 miles from last night and was nearly 5 mins quicker.

So a PB. image And I have got to be pleased with that.

If I run it again (assuming that it is on next year) I will make sure I am closerr to the front.

Going to see if I can get another 6 miles in in about an hours time. This will then have been a good week from a mileage point of view. Have completed 25 miles so far. image

• AliBali123AliBali123 ✭✭✭

Fab running by all, well done.

carl that's a smashing time. Well done! Are you feeling fine now? I salute you going for another run.

did the Dundee Half today. Feeling really disappointed- just didn't go my way.

Course begins in forest, couple of miles of gentle uphill before some long slow downhill stretches. Felt really strong and happy. Weather was ok too, cooler than its been. Sun came out later but nice starting temperature. First 7 miles was fine and on track for the 1:48 I wanted to do, or had in mind. Hit 7 in 58 minutes dead on which I was happy with.

my dad and partner were meant to come to mile 7 with lucozade but when I arrived they weren't there. It unsettled me as I was looking forward to the fuel didn't getting cheered on. Found out later they got a bit lost.

all in all the race is quite undulating and some 'up down up down' sections mile 7-9 really tired me, and I just started to feel shit. Don't really know why, just nothing in the tank, legs felt dead. Could feel myself slowing. 

10-13 were a disastrous succession of miles where I just ground to a jog. The heat was really upping now and there was a lot of road sections which were very exposed with no shade. I got passed by what felt like bloody everyone in the whole race. Tough hill about mile 10. Was all I could do to not walk.

from mile 11 it is generally downhill. Thank God or I would have been even slower.

Dont think I even sped up for the last mile, couldn't. Totally weird feeling- my legs weren't sore, they felt fine. I wasn't out of breath, or panting. No outward signs that I was struggling but my legs just had nothing in them.

crossed the line in 1:54 and honestly I'm feeling quite gutted. Slowest half marathon I have done in nearly two years!!! Wanted so badly for it to go well and make me feel like I am actually getting better at this running thing... Any words of advice greatly appreciated and gladly received. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

AliBali - really feel your anguish on this one. 1:54 is still a good HM time considering the course and conditions. Running is as much mental as it is physical if not more so and something like not seeing people and getting a drink when you are expecting it can play havoc with the mind. And then before you know it you have begun to loose time and then you panic about loosing time and then you need to focus to bring it home. 

I would just put it down to a bad day at the office. One of those things. not every race goes to plan and it is often the little details that alter the course of events..

Put it down to a experience and assign it to the history books.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So I did get out for another run this afternoon. Week one of P&D says 12 miles LSR for today. having done 5 miles this morning I thought about doing 6 this afternoon. As it was only going to be 6 miles I set myself a target of going sub 8:30 miling. as this was not a proper LSR I thought going a little faster would be ok. 

It was really hot compared to this morning and when I got back to the car it was registering 34deg.

By mile 5 the heat was taking its toll and I was beginning to get dehydrated. I had left the water back at the car while the little fella was playing footie. 

But I did manage the 6 miles in 8:24 min/ mile avg. Really pleased with this.

So 31 miles in total for me this week, a new PB for 5 miles (having never run a 5 mile race before), and my first double run in a single day.

A good weeks work. 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

And I did not even mention my ankle. So that has also got to be a good sign.image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ali, I'd echo what Carl said. Try and put it down as a bad run and move on, and try not to over analyse it too much (I know this is easier said than done...). Also, don't underestimate the impact of hot weather, even if it was a little cooler today. 

Carl - a good couple of runs today! Nice one. 

I'm just watching the Ashes before turning over to the final stage of the TdF. image

Thank you Carl and big G.

i am going to try and do that; leave this behind as a bad day/one off. After all I have plenty of races coming up at which to do better. This one was just a tough training run, is how I'm gonna see it!

i hate that I am so obsessive about goals. I really beat myself up if I don't meet them, and I shouldn't.

• AliBali - don't be too hard on yourself... 1.54 is a decent time given the heat & the difficulty of the course image .... There's always the next one.

Good running Carl - great 5 mile time coming from a patchy period of training. Well done sir!

great LR today BigG! You are getting good mileage banked too.

Well that's my first 4 weeks P&D done - 41 miles this week.  Tough session scheduled for tomorrow - 9 (5) LT .... Might swap things around and do thursdays 10ga run tomorrow instead given my LR today and club speed session on tues. LT run will then be on thurs when I'm feeling fresher!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky - sounds like a tough week ahead. How have you found the P&D training plan compared to the plan you used for your Limerick outing ?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

So this week will be interesting. I am off to the States with work in the morning and do not get back until Saturday am.

it is a multi city trip so hopefully I will be able to get some sessions in to keep the momentum going forward. I cannot see how I will do over an hour on the treddie ? Will have to get up at the crack of dawn I suppose.

• Very different Carl - the relative lack of speedwork is weird - for limerick I had at least two, usually three, speed sessions per week (tempo, hills & intervals)

Seems to be more MLRs & lots more MP running during the LRs ...... P&D don't seem to advocate slow LR's and point out that running slow trains you to .... run slow. This contradicts most other opinions of the Long Slow Run.

Anyway - I'm going to stick to it and trust it to see how it works. I am stretching the LRs to a few miles longer though & replacing a recovery run (seems to be 2 of them per week??) with a speed session at the club.image

Which US cities Carl? Outdoor runs an opportunity for sightseeing?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Ricky- have brought my P&D book with me to study it again. I suppose an L4 session is a bit like a tempo run.  But people swear by this training plan so there must be something in it. 

I will be visiting Pittsburgh, New York and Toronto. So it would be nice to get out and get a run in in Central Park but not sure where my hotel is relative to it. 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. A busy weekend for me so I’m catching up with what everyone has been up to.

Ricky – sounds like you are enjoying P&D at the moment. People on other threads also seem to be adding a couple of miles on to their long runs

Big_G – well done on the long run and the record weekly mileage. Like Carl, it’s been a while since I have reached such a high number.

Carl – great news that the ankle seems to be getting better, hopefully you can now focus on running. Have a good week over the pond and try and get out for some runs and explore

Ali – as everyone else has said, don’t worry about it. We have all had bad days and I’m sure there are plenty more ahead for us all, even the elites; if its good enough for them then its good enough for us too I reckon. When I first started running I also used to beat myself up if I didn’t hit a target or a goal, now I don’t worry about it and just carry on.

So, Saturday morning saw me venture out into the sticks to run the route of the Mickledon Straddle fell race. Thankfully the weather had cooled right down otherwise it would have been brutal; it was hard enough as it was - http://app.strava.com/activities/68423642.

Later that afternoon I went out with Mrs C for her C25K run.

Sunday, Mrs C and I cycled around Ladybower reservoir and we are both seeing some improvement with our cycling fitness.

Last night I took the mutt out for a run in the peaks and we did a nice 3 mile recovery run.

• Extremely manly run there on Saturday Carter - some elevation! Tough climbs at mile 3 & 4 and then on the return @ 9 & 10!  Interesting to see you controlling the pace on the descents!

Great session.image

• Oh Jeez I hate turning my back on you lot, I end up speed reading like a demon to try and catch up. In short impressive stuff all around in what has been some pretty unsympathetic conditions, everything is that little bit tougher in this heat.

Ali - Ditto everybody elses comments. Park it up and move on, your drink strategy went a bit awry and it wasn't your day. I know how annoying it is but nothing you can do about it now other than torture yourself over it. 

I did 20 miles yesterday and 48 in total for the week. I am fairly happy with how things are going although I was bushed by the end yesterday. Only 5 weeks left to my marathon, this I can assure you will be my first and last summer marathon.

• 5 weeks to your marathon eh Oirish?! Wow that hasn't half snuck up! Surely the heatwave will be long gone by then and you'll be able to have a good crack at it and put the Halstead incident behind you.

I usually have a rest day or 3 mile recovery run the day after my long run. Today I broke my own rule and set off for a 10 miler after yesterday's 17ml LR.  it was a warm humid evening and the legs felt tired from the word go. Given that I have a tough session ahead at club tomorrow I listened to my head and cut it short to 8 miles. Found it tough on tired legs this evening image

• Ricky - It falls on a Bank holiday weekend, I am almost guaranteed rain!

I'm finding in this weather that I need to be on the ball with my post run maintainence - warm downs, rehydrating, stretching etc which I can be a bit lazy with, as the heat saps me that degree or two more. I'm a big fan of the cold bath treatment too.

You were brave giving another run a shot following your long run, part of my enjoyment of my LSRs is the home mile knowing I've nailed my week and have a rest day coming and an afternoon of leisure. Yesterday was rest day and today I did 10.45 miles @ 9:04 avg in disgustingly humid conditions, really uncomfortable and my legs were tired at the end.

I have a birthday dinner with my youngest later, she is 20 today and I feel well ready for a bit of feast. 20. Bloody hell and you think Marathons sneak up on you!!!

• 20 is your youngest Oirish?! Flippin heck u must have been a child bride!

The club session went surprisingly well given my weary legs and the humidity.... We did 10 x 75secs @ 1500m pace with 90 sec recoveries. Sounds easy but was tough enough! Covered 2.27miles over the 10 reps averaged 5.41 pace. Last rep was particularly all out quick @ 4.45 pace!

This was my first VO2max session which i have to say I quite enjoyed in a strange sadistic kind of way!

Oirish I always imagined you as a bloke in your 20s! Lol! Obviously not.

ricky- sounds a great club sesh! Fast! 

Thanks all for encouragement - was feeling so disappointed yesterday/Sunday but feel lots better now. Helensburgh half on 4th Auguit will be another chance to do well.

i had a nice recovery run in London yesterday as was there with work. 3 miles in the VERY hot sun! Today was working all day and just flew in to Aberdeen tonight so a rest day.

carl are you in the states yet and how is it?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

This site is having a few issues and I wasn't able to access this thread at all yesterday (I was getting the "Oooops" message).  I was having a play this morning and I noticed that I was able to click on the little green arrow (next to the last poster's name) and that got me back into the thread.  Very irritating though, and I think Ben RW is getting some stick about it on some other threads, which are then subsequently vanishing as well.  They need to sort it out though, as it's embarassing.  I see that Carter hasn't been on for a day or so, so I've PM'd him as I have seen him on other threads.

Anyway, I got 14 miles in yesterday, and started at around 8pm and finished at gone 10pm.  It's the first time I've ever ran that late and I quite enjoyed it.  It was a cooler evening yesterday anyway, but running in the evening was quite refreshing and I got it in at MP (9 min/mile).  I didn't set out to do this, but after a couple of miles I felt quite good so stepped it up from the planned 10min/mile.  I know this isn't perfect as I'm supposed to be following a plan, but I just thought I'd go with it.  

I did notice that I got shouted at by car drivers more often than usual; I got shouted at 4 times, but I didn't hear what they said and just ignored them anyway (I'd imagine it was along the lines of the very original "Run fat boy, run").  I don't often have issues when running in the morning or after work, so seems to be something to do with evening running.  I drank plenty when I got home, but I'm still thirsty this morning which is a downside of evening running.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Big_G - thanks for the tip. I have been struggling to get on this thread as you say. Good running last night !

Ali - glad to see you're over your previous race. Whats the plan for Helensburgh, PB attempt ?

Ricky - lovely VO2 session but you just take it easy and dont overdo it !

Oirish - sounds like the marathon training is going well, have you a time in mind yet ? Oh, and by the way, you old git !! 

Monday night I had my LT run. It was due to be 10 with 5 at LT but I found the heat hard going so I managed 7.5 with 3 @ LT, still a good session though. This morning it was another hot one and I have done 11 miles @ marathon pace

Carter you are fitting in a lot of quality runs! 

Yes I do want to attempt PB at helensburgh. There is no reason why not and from all the reviews it is apparently a good flat course unlike Dundee. 

• Just popping by to say hi *waves* been quite busy of late, but the running is plodding on image 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

And there was me thinking that it would not let me on because I had crossed the pond !!!!

Being on planes in the States is a dangerous business.

My flight into Pittsburgh on Monday was quite eventful. A stom was in full flow as we came into land. The pilot must have got his approach wrong as when he came out of the clouds with landing gear down and ground approaching plane quite fast, I noticed that we were not lined up with runway. I would haev thought this was first hint in pilots manual. We had crossed the airport perimter fence and then the pilot aborted the landing. Just as well as he was at about 70deg to the runway. As he pulled up with the plane shaking like oone of those rides at Alton Towers, he siad that he was low on fuel and would make a decsion about circling the airport waiting for the storm to pass - it was very heavy rain, or fly onto Cleveland in Ohio. He must have lost his bottle as he just flew straight to Cleveland. We did fly back onc the storm had passed, maintenance had checked the plane and some fuel was added. 3 hours extra on the journey. So happy days but great to be alive.

Have got 2 sessions in on the dreaded treddie in the hotel gym. 5 miles yesterday morning and 6 miles today. Boy do you overheat on these things. I am longing for an outdoor run and hoping that I get this in in New York tomorrow morning.

Good running from everyone. 

Oirish - I had forgotton about your summer marathon. as you say there is a good chance it will be raining. Imagine running in the heat of last week. 

Had a great thunder and lightening storm here in Pittsburgh last night. Was in a cab going downtown to meet my supplier for a evening cruise on the rivers through the city when the heavens opened up. Could ot see more than a few feet. Fortunately it blew overand teh river cruise was quite pleasant.

keep it up folks. image

• Carl - "going downtown to meet my supplier" image suddenly your recovery doesn't seem quite so miraculous image Still glad you are safe and sound being caught up in the whole plummeting to the ground in a  burning fireball thing can play havoc with your training.

Ricky - good speedy session there, I'm contemplating going over to the dark side and joining a local club just to get more focused when I do speed sessions rather than the ad hoc approach I have now.

Ali - You seem to have mistaken "young" with "immature", I believe that in an odd way Dundee will prove the ideal preparation for your next race. We all learn from our  mishaps and I bet you have never felt more determined? That's the beauty of running you can just get back in the saddle (metaphorically) and move on.

Carter - Great running from you of late. As for my planned pace, I think the weather will be the final decider. The idea of running myself into the ground in this heat does not appeal and the potential for being too ambitious and suffering big time is quite huge. If it is hot I'll take sub 4,  kinder conditions and I'll go 3:45. I figure that I can always pick up the pace if it feels good. This is more a fun attempt to be honest than anything else. Got to leave something in the tank for Dublin.

Big G - Good running sir. My theory is that in the evenings people are more fed up with their own days and sub conciously resent you bouncing along when they feel done in. I take it as a reverse compliment but then I take everything as a reverse compliment.

Rach - "waves back" don't be a stranger.

8 mile plod for me tonight, enjoy what ever you are doing this evening

am visiting my folks for the night and got in a 3 mile ish hill run tonight with my mum. (She is sadly but undoubtedly a hugely better runner than I, she also did dundee at the weekend and having not raced a half marathon since 2006 she cruised round in 1:44......)

tomorrow I am doing 18 miles. My dad has just started trying to get fit and is doing a bit of running so I have agreed we are going to do a slow 5 miles in the morning then I will go on to do another 13 on my own after. Wish me luck!