RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Haha a bottle of wine and half a bottle of port would make me forget alot of things Minni!! Glad that the fall didnt cause any serious injuries and your still up and running.

After my steady run today im feeling really positive about london. My legs feel great with no aches and pains and the 9 and a bit miles seemed like nothing (although at that pace I guess I shouldnt be surprised). I feel like the taper is doing what it says on the tin and helping my legs recover from the 15 weeks of training they have just done. Its amazing the fatigue that builds up which you dont tend to notice until you stop and rest and it resolves.

As discussed with you an easy 3 miles tomorrow and 4 x 1 mile reps @ MP with 1 min recoveries on wed sounds good. I will try and do a warm up before the race starts but if not I will use the first mile as a w/u and do 0.9 m reps instead.

I would love to meet up at the expo, I will text you when we are near to see if your around.
  • Plan for week 16

Monday; 3 miles easy + resistance training.

Tuesday; Rest

Wednesday; 1-2m w/u with 4 x 0.9-1 m reps with 1 min recoveries inbetween

Thursday; Rest

Friday; Rest

Saturday; Rest or slow 20 min jog

Sunday; 26.2 miles @ MP all being well!

Total miles; 8 + VLM....I cant believe its here!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

I know a bloke who used to go out with Tessa sanderson but she chucked himimage 

Are we letting him get away with that one or is everyone just ignoring it in protest?image

Minni - you're catching this falling mullarky from Angela. This thread is bad for you! 

Wish I could have come up and have a lucozade with you all on Friday but sadly logistics will just not allow image

Back to school this morning so school runs on Friday for me then packing for Wales.

Sarah - even though it's inevitable, it is kind of weird how, after months of preparing, suddenly race week arrives. Like it's unexpected but yet you've been waiting for it since December! And then of course the taper madness hits and you feel totally unprepared image

I remember arriving at the Expo for my first London with the BBC marathon theme music playing in the background - sent shivers down my spine.

I like the look of your final week. I'm running Tuesday & Thursday only with the option of a little jogette on Saturday which I could do with Mrs Malcs.

I have a massage booked for Friday. I was going to have it at the beginning of the week but my therapist said that she usually preps her runners for races the day before the race. I feel like I'm going for pro treatment when clearly I'm nowhere near image  Should be a nice end to the week.

Have a good 3 miles today.

• Hi Minni, yes it was erratic pacing if ever there was erratic pacing! Just like my first 2 marathons- whilst at the end of the race I certainly felt I would go on, I would have liked to think with even pacing at 9:30 I would have been much more spritely. I think I need to put more effort on doing marathon pace on fresher legs so I learn to control it at the start!

Mr P. so Tessa was a javelin thrower- no wonder she can't organise a decent half marathon!

Sarah, yes hoping 20 mile will allow some exploration though my relatives warn me it's quite hilly- it's close to the border of France and Spain and I believe there are some little hills around thereimage

Malcs!!! I haven't fallen over for almost 10 days!!! U can't blame me for Minni's fall image

So 1 week to the race for u all- so exciting!

1 week to taper for me- if I'm honest Sarah, now the weather is perking up and my injury niggles have gone away I'm really enjoying my training, so a bit sad I'll be stepping it back, especially with the rest I'll need immediately after the marathon. I'll be switching to more cycling, but with the improvements I've seen in my running the last few months I'm not sure i want this switch- no doubt when I'm back to just running it'll be raining every day image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've taken over your falling duties Angela!

• Hi Malcs....its such a shame your not down in London too, although im sure you will have a great time in Wales.

So far im loving my day off, think it was the best decision I have made, especially now everyone is back at work and the children are back at school...and the sun is shining image.

Tell me about it. All of a sudden race week is here, but then when I look back, I feel like ive been training for it for ever!

The taper madness had me last week, but this week im managing to stay clear of it, I am more positive and I am thinking if I can get round london after so little training last year, I will do it this year and will do it almost 30 mins quicker image (sounds alot when I say it like that). Had my training programme out from last year and overall, I had about 2 months of training, my long runs went up; 8, 13, 15, 17, 19, 22  and the most milage I did in one week was about 39 miles, but all the other weeks were in the high 20s-low 30s!

I wanted to cry when I heard the music last year whilst waiting in the red start...brought back so many childhood memories! Its so strange how things have changed...I was watching my parents run and my dad do london 20 years ago, and now its them watching me.

I couldnt work out if its good having a massage so close to the race. They do them at the expo's and pros get them shortly before the race, but Sam murphy advised against it, so I was a little confused.

One more run to go between now and london (unless I do a slow jog on saturday)!!image

• Hi Angela, hills are great...they make the flatter runs seem like a walk in the park...honest image. Ive always loved hills and mountains so I think that must help, although its different running up them, than looking at them!

How much cycling will you need to do after the marathon? How often do you think you will be able to get out on a run? Its so encouraging when you see huge improvements in your running...for me it definatley makes me want to do more.

• Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 15 (day 105) aim; resistance training + 3 miles easy

Well this was the last trip to the gym for me for at least a week. It was lovely to go in the day when its quiet and be able to go on all the equipment in a leisurely fashion. I did my normal circuit of weights and stretches and then went on the TM to do my last TM run for over a week.

I didnt put it on an incline and ran along at a nice easy pace. My legs felt great, I had no niggles and had to keep fighting the urge to go faster. Im so encouraged by the way im feeling....just hope im still the same on sunday, if not better.

Mile splits

1. 11-8:34

2. 8:34

3. 8:27

Only one more run (if I dont do a gentle jog on saturday) standing in between me and VLM.

Now to  go to manchester to see Pink!image

• Hey Minni... I hope that you haven't taken over my falling, at least not for another 7 days... then u can fall as much as you wantimage

Sarah, you're right the hills will be good training, but hills + hot + 20 miles = sore angela image

Cycling is like the marathon schedule- 5 times per week, though even longer on a bike than i would be on my feet- i'm doing a version of the beginner's schedule here: http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Prudential_RideLondon___Events/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100___Training/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100___Training_Plans.htm

I thnk instead of doing a ride on Saturday And sunday, that I'll do the long ride on Saturday, and do a semi long run between 10-15 miles at the weekend, and probably not d the wednesday ride, but instead do a 5-8 mile run or speedwork, just to keep something going on.  I do have a couple of races booked in and another i have my eye on.  basically when the ride happens I'll only have 9-10 weeks until bournemouth, so I want to be running fit enough to pick up a training schedule that close.  Have been trying to determine whether to focus on speed or endurance with the runs I can fit in.  

I'm now thinking sub 4 in autumn might not be that achievable with this bike ride getting in the way, although it could also give me a lot of endurance fitness without the risk of running injuries- imagine 40-70 mile bike rides every weekend will take me a lot longer than a 20 mile run...

Enjoy P!nk!!!

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I can't believe we're nearly there. The last few weeks of training seem to have really dragged. I did 10 miles yesterday in about 1hr 26 min, so 8:36 pace. I have to say my legs felt a bit sluggish, maybe because I overdid it a bit the previous Sunday, or maybe it was just one of those days. Still, it meant I was forced to take it fairly easy, and it was nice to be out running in the sunshine for once. I'm still feeling fairly confident, I think the main thing for me this week is to make sure I get some early nights so I'm properly rested.  

I'll be going to the Expo on Friday morning so unfortunately won't get to see any of you there by the sound of it. I'll need to get back home by early afternoon as I have a rare chance to pick my little boy up from school and take him to his swimming lesson.

On the subject of belts I've got a couple but find them a bit uncomfortable when I have gels tucked through all of the loops. On a couple of my longer runs I've just worn a pair of shorts with zip up pockets and stuffed the gels in there and it's worked fine, OTOH the pouch on the belt will be useful if I want to take a supply of jelly babies or other additional fuel so I'm not sure what I'll do.  

Angela - I'm sorry to hear about your experience on Sunday. I did the 10k a couple years ago and it was OK (apart from the "run through the Olympic park" bit which turned out to be a short detour through a building site) but I think the HM is a new event so I guess they had some teething troubles, although having people on the water stations is pretty basic stuff.

Sarah - I think Greenwich would be a nice place to go on Saturday. It's a nice area to walk around and there are plenty of places to eat, plus you have the maritime museum and observatory. Mind you, it will mean spending a lot of time on your feet which you may not want to do, and I have a feeling that much of the park may be closed off for some reason image. I've also read that you should be cautious about having a massage too near to the race as you may feel a bit sore afterwards if you're not used to it, but the last time I did the VLM I had a half hour one at the Expo on the Friday and felt better for it so I'm inclined to do so again this time.    

Mr P - I totally agree with you about "Longitude". It was a really interesting book and seeing Harrison's clocks not long after I'd read it was fascinating.    

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    sarah osborne wrote (see)

I couldnt work out if its good having a massage so close to the race. They do them at the expo's and pros get them shortly before the race, but Sam murphy advised against it, so I was a little confused.

Excellent, I was just about starting to run out of things to fret about image

Was this on a thread somewhere? Don't suppose you remember where? Did she say why?

I don't think it's going to be anything deep or heavy, just a gentle rub down. And I will have Saturday for it anything to settle down.

I usually feel much better after these things than I do before.

Glad to hear all went well today. Just one more jog to go then. woo hoo!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

http://www.albatrosslondon.com/imagelibrary/DoubleTree%20by%20Hilton%20Tower%20of%20London%20SkyLounge%20view%20(4).jpg

In the absence of any running, here is the view from the Skylounge at the Doubletree round the corner from where we are, I will be taking Mrs P for a cocktail the night before the race...

• Just watching the the terrible scenes on the news of the Boston marathon. Very scary. Can't understand why anyone would do such a thing. So sad.
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Yeah, absolutely appalling. Can't think of much else to say but my thoughts go out to those affected.

• Hi everyone,

Feels bit sombre now as just seen the scenes from Boston. Heart goes out to the families who have lost loved ones, and those that are injured.

Sarah- have sent you an email re the stamp duty image

Angela- sorry to hear about the run at the weekend. Were the muppet show employed as stewards/organisers?

Just back from a week in Keswick- managed to sneak out a few times whilst everyone was in bed for a 7-8 miler, and then ended up having to walk all day afterwards. At least I don't do it like the kids- they are like wee dogs running backwards and forwards the whole time...

Going off to the US (image) tomorrow for a conference so may not get proper look in till after VLM- Looks like you are all geared up for the weekend, best of luck everyone!

• Hey everyone,

Wow, its difficult to know what to say watching the events unfold in Boston.  So sad.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm feeling flat too but we must all get our heads into gear.  We have marathons to run. image

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Yeah, all we can do is get on with it and maybe find some way of paying our respects on Sunday.

• Twitter is saying u should put hand on hearts as u cross the finish...
  • I cant get over what happended at Boston. I didnt find out until we got back to our hotel just before MN and I looked at my texts and then watched the news. Its so dreadful. I dont understand how human beings can do that to each other, especially innocent people.

I think im going to find it difficult on sunday now, just thinking about all those affected by yesterdays events. I know its unlikely to happen at VLM and that its probably going to be even safer now with increased security but I still dont know if I want my friends and family coming down to watch just incase something does happen, I wouldnt be able to forgive myself.

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Cycling is like the marathon schedule- 5 times per week, though even longer on a bike than i would be on my feet- i'm doing a version of the beginner's schedule

I thnk instead of doing a ride on Saturday And sunday, that I'll do the long ride on Saturday, and do a semi long run between 10-15 miles at the weekend, and probably not d the wednesday ride, but instead do a 5-8 mile run or speedwork, just to keep something going on.  I do have a couple of races booked in and another i have my eye on.  basically when the ride happens I'll only have 9-10 weeks until bournemouth, so I want to be running fit enough to pick up a training schedule that close.  Have been trying to determine whether to focus on speed or endurance with the runs I can fit in.  

Angela your going to be so busy...I thought I was bad! You will be very fit by the end of it however image

• Hi Andy, talking to lots of people its supposed to be quite normal for our legs to feel a little tired and achy in the taper....Sam murphy had said to someone its our brains way of telling us to slow down and rest before the big day! I think 10 miles at 8:36 sounds great anyway.

That will be nice to take your son swimming. How often do you get to take him? Sounds like the perfect way to relax pre marathon.

Its so difficult to know what to do. I know that I need to do something and wont be able to sit about all dayn on saturday. But I dont want to do too much either. I guess if we are going to be on our feet a fair bit then I def wont do a 20 min jog sat morning.

What coloured start are you on again?

• Malcs wrote (see)
    sarah osborne wrote (see)

Excellent, I was just about starting to run out of things to fret about image

Was this on a thread somewhere? Don't suppose you remember where? Did she say why?

I don't think it's going to be anything deep or heavy, just a gentle rub down. And I will have Saturday for it anything to settle down.

I usually feel much better after these things than I do before.

Glad to hear all went well today. Just one more jog to go then. woo hoo!

I think it must have been on Adys thread as I only followed his and RRR due to the times that they were aiming for. It was towards the end of the schedule from what I remember...probably once he had started the taper. Like Andy said above though...some people do benefit form them also and you sound like one of them image

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)

In the absence of any running, here is the view from the Skylounge at the Doubletree round the corner from where we are, I will be taking Mrs P for a cocktail the night before the race...

What a magnificent photo, I love that bridge so much,running over it is def the best part of the race. Im jealous.... I want a cocktail infront of that view!

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Sarah- have sent you an email re the stamp duty image

Just back from a week in Keswick- managed to sneak out a few times whilst everyone was in bed for a 7-8 miler, and then ended up having to walk all day afterwards. At least I don't do it like the kids- they are like wee dogs running backwards and forwards the whole time...

Going off to the US (image) tomorrow for a conference so may not get proper look in till after VLM- Looks like you are all geared up for the weekend, best of luck everyone!

Hi clive, thanks for the email. Im going to phone them tomorrow morning.

Glad to hear that you managed to get a few long runs and walks in...nothing better than spending your days off outdoors getting some fresh air after been stuck inside the four walls of the hospital!

Hope you managed to get to your destination (and back to england) ok

• Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 15 (day 106) aim; Rest

Well...in retrospect, booking to see pink, might not have been the best idea when im supposed to be tapering...ended up spending 3 hours on my feet last night....but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Pink was fabulous, she put on a fantastic entertaining show. I would certainly see her again, although I would probably buy seating tickets if it was during the final week of tapering again.

I didnt hear about what had happended at Boston until we got back to the hotel. I was so shocked and ended up putting the news on until quite late to see what had happended.

Im still in shock today, I cant believe that there are people out there who would do that to others. My thoughts go out to all those involved.

After spending three hours on my legs yesterday evening they felt quite achey so ive tried to have a very lazy day today. Apart from doing a bit of gardening and walk around town (decided to miss the walk to town...mainly due to chris refusing) so I feel proper rested now, ready for my last run tomorrow (if I dont do a gentle jog on sunday)

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone still trying to come to terms with Boston, that poor little boy just waiting for his dad it's awful.

I think it will be a strange atmosphere on the day.

My legs are feeling quite good, I will have a run tomorrow, and although I'm not going to club on Thursday the route passes three miles from our house so I might get Puffy Junior to drop me off and I'll run a couple of miles with them and then run home.

Then we have a wedding reception on Friday evening before gettin g the train down on Saturday.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I've felt very flat too - not the normal race excitement that I've had over the past week or so. Haven't really felt like posting either. 

I heard they will be handing out black ribbons at the Expo and there will be a moments silence at the start. I'm sure races around the country will be doing the same.

Sarah - I really hope it doesn't stop your support crew from coming and cheering you on. I can completely understand your dilemma though.

Good to hear that you enjoyed the concert. I'm sure the time on your feet will not have had any detrimental effect.

I found the thread thanks. It was Sarah Connors who posted advising against massage so close to a race. In a panic I messaged her and she very kindly replied to say that if it's a deep tissue massage it can take time for the legs to recover. Hoever, if it's not so deep and you're used to it then it should be ok. I moved it to Thursday now anyway as I have some work commitments on Friday. Two full days will be fine to get over any issues.

Like Andy said, I usually feel better afterwards than I do before. Panic over...what's next on my list... image

Have a great run tomorrow.

Mr P - wow, that's an amazing view from your hotel!

I tried out my new belt on my jog today. Totally annoyed the hell out of me image

I had the water carrier on with a 330ml bottle. It was constantly riding up. Probably due to the weight to be fair. With just pockets and gel attachment it might be ok but I'll be sticking with my trusty high5 for race day.

Clive - you've probably already gone but thanks for the good wishes and I hope that your US trip goes well

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Hi Sarah. Just popping in to wish you the very best of luck on Sunday, not that you will needs loads of luck after such a good training campaign. Don't go off too fast !!! image

Good luck !
  • Hi Mr P, I feel so sad, just seen a picture of that young boy who died at Boston.

I hope that they do decide to have a minute silence at the start of the race so we can show our respect to all those affected by yesterdays events.

Like you said I think its going to be a strange atmosphere on sunday, but I think we have to all unite together and be strong.

Hope you have a good run tomorrow and thursday and a fabulous time at that wedding