RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Good morning! Heading off to London this morning so wanted to wish everyone a great time on Sunday, just incase I don't get a chance later. Looking forward to all the race reports.

Angela - have a brilliant holiday, hope you get nice weather.

Minni - fingers crossed that shin behaves itself and repairs quickly.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Dotty - have a great trip down and an even better race! image

Sarah - sounds like you were in the park to me. The blue start is a fenced off section of Blackheath common - you'd know if you were in there. Mystery solved image

I woke up a bag of nerves this morning and it's only freakin' Thursday! I will be at my wits end come Sunday.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - how is the packing going? Are you one of these hyper organised people or a last minute fretter like me? image

Did my last run earlier today - warm up mile then one at 8mm and one at 7:50mm followed by a warm down. Still felt sluggish but I'm not concerned about that.

Just back from the leg massage which was fantastic. I could feel alot of tightness in there just being eased away. Two days rest should be plenty to recover from any after effects but to be honest I feel like I could run right now.

Bring on the nosebag! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm heading off first thing in the morning too. 

In case I don't get a chance again, good luck everyone especially Malcs who is not at London.  Really look forward to hearing how you get on Malcs.

Run well and don't be shit folks!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Also just want to say that I know Sarah is going to have a cracking race. image

• can anybody tell me is beetroot juice good 4 you image
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I made another trip to the gym at lunchtime but without the mishaps of yesterday. I did 3 miles on the treadmill - 1 easy, 1 @ MP, 1 easy, and a few minutes on the cross trainer. I'll probably do a couple of miles on Saturday morning but otherwise that's it, training over!

Sarah - thanks, yes it can be a bit frustrating with us both working that we miss the stuff that goes on during the week, so we have to try and make up for it at weekends. We have a trip to Thomas Land on Saturday week to look forward to though. That was a good final run by the sound of it, I reckon you're well set to do a good time on Sunday. Have a good trip down tomorrow.   

Mr P - You may be thinking of the Gallows Corner roundabout which is pretty big, although it has a flyover rather than a footbridge. Or maybe the Ardleigh Green crossroads on the A127 which has a footbridge (but no roundabout).

Malcs - In my experience the DLR is normally OK, pretty busy but not horrendously packed. Getting on at Stratford I'll be sure to get a seat anyway. That's some serious eating you are doing! I started off well this morning by having granola, fruit and yoghurt (my favourite breakfast) at home and then picking up some toast with marmite on the way to work, but I'm finding now that I have cut down the number of miles I'm running I don't quite have the same appetite. Mind you I bought some Reese's peanut butter cups yesterday which are the food of the gods as far as I'm concerned so I might just eat another 20 packets of them between now and Saturday.

Angela - have a great holiday!

Minni - I hope you feel better by Sunday. Have a good trip down.

• Hi everyone,

In the USA at the moment so not able to get online.... Just wanted to wish everyone luck in respective marathons this weekend, thinking of you all.

Enjoy!!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - many thanks, much appreciated! 

Minni wrote (see)

Run well and don't be shit folks!

Ha - best advice ever! image

What's the latest on the knock?

Have a great trip down. It's hammering down with rain at the moment and blowing a gale. Don't worry, it's just getting itself out of the way for Sunday wher it looks like conditions are expected to be pretty good.

yes, Sarah is going to totally cane it.

Andy - all the eating starts tomorrow but like you I've also found my appetite has decreased. We will see how I feel tomorrow though. Never heard of peanut butter cups but I do like peanut butter. 

Mr P - on behalf of most of the runners on Sunday, have you found those shorts yet? 

Clive - many thanks! Good to hear you're over and installed safely. Hope it all goes smoothly.

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Malcs,

Yeah the eating really starts in earnest tomorrow but I thought I would start easing myself into it today, although I haven't got very far. Peanut butter cups are an American thing, you don’t see them so much over here - they are basically peanut butter covered with chocolate. It's the combination of sweetness and slight saltiness that does it for me. Mmmm…

Hi Clive,

Many thanks!

• Thankyou Dotty, good luck to you too. Hope you had a safe journey down to London and you have an amazing race.
  • Hi Malcs...mystery solved!

Hmm i would say im quite organised as I brought everything down to my parents last week as I knew I was getting the train down yesterday and couldnt be bothered to carry it all with me. Just decided to unpack everything though and then re-pack, just to make sure its all there. Just made my tuna pasta for lunch tomorrow and got a bagel out of the freezer...im so looking forward to carbo loading this time...although I might change my mind by tomorrow afternoon! My appetite is certainly not down, within 30 mins of eating im feeling hungry again!

Glad that the massage went well and your legs feel great...can you believe that it will be all over in under 72 hours!
  • Thankyou Minni, I hope your right. I have a feeling that your going to smash your target too....cant believe its almost here!

Hope you have a safe journey down and that I get to see you at expo tomorrow afternoon.
  • FF2, its supposed to be, but I wouldnt be trying anything new on race day or the day before for that matter!
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Cheers Clive!

Evening, got home from work early and have a day off tomorrow. I have got a cold though, so I know it probalby doesn't work but I got some first defence, can't hurt can it?

I think I have caught it from Mrs P she has been so poorly, but I also suspect several other people.

If it gets bad on Saturday I will have to defer but at the moment it feels manageable.

Cheers Clive!

I had a Tuna sandwich and a pot of M&S Pasta with spinach for lunch, baked potato and a home made pizza tonight - a naan bread spread with tomato puree and mozzarella and whatever else is fantastic.

Still no shorts, but I might just go get some new ones tomorrow.

• hey Andy, I did actually enjoy myself yesterday, it was nice to be out running with a huge group of people some being in the same boat as me. It took some of the anxiety away, although surprisingly im not actually feeling too bad.

Thomas land sounds great....the perks of having children : )

Your 3 miler in the gym today sounded nice, certainly easing yourself down.

I havent heard of reese peanut butter....gona have to keep an eye out for it now, although they might be too sickly for me. I wish I could say the same about my appetite....im constantly feeling hungry. Im not sure if its because I havent drank any alcohol for 3 weeks so overall ive had less calorie intake or what, but you would think I would be fine due to cutting down my milage!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Malcs - I'm a bit worried about you running your marathon on your own since everyone else in the country will be in London!  I hope you can post your time asap.

• Thankyou Clive, hope all is well.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Puffy - you'll be fine. 

• Hi Mr P. So sorry to hear about your cold, although its better to get it today than on saturday. Is it just a head cold or on your chest aswell? So hope its not the latter and that your still able to run on sunday. Whats first defence?

Sounds like you have already started carbo loading : ) I like it, your pizza sounds lush.

Hope you find your shorts.....getting new ones might not be ideal!
  • Lol Minni....Malcs could be the leading man : )
  • Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 15 (day 108) aim; rest day

Less than 72 hours to go...and counting. I cant believe its almost here, im getting all excited again.

Had a lazy rest day today. I was on a course in Sheffield this afternoon finishing my training for the insertion and removal of nexplanon. Ive finally done enough of both to be signed of as competent so I can now have my own clinics at my GP practice.

Doing this really took my mind of the big event on sunday although I did manage to get talking to two of my patients and my trainer about running some how!

Since getting back to my mums, ive unpacked and then repacked and made my tuna pasta ready for the journey down tomorrow morning. Most of my bag appears to be taken up with food!! Even though the carbo loading doesnt start until the morning, tonight its lasagne for tea.

Im sure I will get chance to come on here at some point tomorrow and saturday, but just incase I will wish everyone a good run on sunday now, good luck and thankyou for all your support...I couldnt have done as well so far without you.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Lol Minni....Malcs could be the leading man : )

Ha - even if I was the only runner I reckon I still wouldn't win image.

Minni - I will certainly be online as soon as I can. I expect nothing less from everyone else too! image

Sarah - from what you've said I think you're firmly in the organised category of packers!

I think my body must know that feeding time at the zoo is approaching. I'm effing starvin' now. Maybe I'm catching this off you?

Maybe a bit early to be looking but the weather looks pretty decent for Sunday, both here and in Wales. Got a bit more wind in Wales though!

It's been fantastic following your thread Sarah. Your energy and enthusiasm shines through in every post. You've trained magnificently well and if you don't get a seriously good time then something will have to have gone terribly wrong. 

Have a great trip down. Enjoy all the food over the weekend and have a fabulous race on Sunday.

• As soon as im capable of using my phone (and have a signal) Malcs I will post my time on here...thats a promise.

Dont be so harsh on yourself....I have faith in you, your definitely a winner in my eyes.

My mum made a huge lasagne for tea....everyone kept giving some of theirs to me, so I have been well and truely stuffed since 8 pm! glad you have your appetite back...ready for tomorrow.

I hope the weather man gets it right this time.

Thankyou Malcs, thats such a lovely thing to say...youve helped to make this thread and so many others so thankyou for being a fantastic part of mine and everyone elses journey.
  • Finally got my official time from the first 5 miler last week 35;26 (11th lady) which im quite happy with as I didnt go all out and had aimed for 7 min mls.

My time for yesterdays race, according to my watch was 32;46 for 4.21 miles (didnt time the warm up) and my average pace was 7:47 (MP)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

Well done on keeping to your plan on the 5 (4.21) miler!  Nice to say hello.  Although had to look a bit of silly sausage asking other females in your club, all who seem to have blonde hair, are you Sarah? image  Anyhow, you're right I did drop out.  As said before the race I've not been feeling too good just had no energy.  I had a stomach bug that lasted for about a week leading up to the very hilly 5 miler, then this week suffered empty legs.  I think I'm just about over it now so can start to think about training again.  It's just one thing after another at present, but I have to try and remain positive and think there's many out there worse off.  I will be back and running strong soon for sure!  On that note have an excellent run on Sunday, keep strong, believe in your training and enjoy the atmosphere!  Best of wishes!!

• Hello,

Wow, so excited for all of u-- ur probably all on ur travels now image

This is turning out to be a great training camp- not yet trained but gearing up for an early morning 5 miles. My relatives are vegan, so since arriving I have been too- will be interesting to see how this effects my energy levels for the week- so far so good- we had a lentil bake for dinner last night- it was yum image

We are going out for dinner on Sunday night so at least I'll be able to have some meat after my 20 miler image

Lots of luck and hugs etc pre race- cant wait to read all the race reports!

Xx
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - have a great first run. If you are going to be eating lentils all week then it's not your energy levels you need to be concerned about image

Sarah - very kind of you to say so. I've had a blast from the minute bootcamp was announced.

Had the clippers out this morning and done my race haircut. Ummed and ahhed then just went for my usual style. image

So, let's start a carbo load sharing session. I'll get the ball rolling. So far today:

1 x bowl of all bran + 1 weetabix + museli. Wholemeal bagel + jam. 200ml orange juice.

Stuffed already image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say the very best of British Sarah!

You've done the training so time to trust in it. Nerves are a good emotion!

Have a great day!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I've had some scrambled eggs image  we'll be having Spaghetti Bolognese for tea and I'll have some pasta with pesto  at lunchtime.

All Bran Malcs?  You might be in the queue behind Angela.

I've taken today off to get ready.  Mrs P is feeling a lot better but I am in the beginnings of the sore throat  stage now.  we've decided against the wedding reception, so we'll get an early night and unless I'm actually dying we'll travel down tomorrow.  I did run Chester Marathon once with a cold, I managed 3:46 after severe cramping in the last mile.

Sarah I can only echo what Malcs has said, it's been hugely inspiring and entertaining following your training, great to pick up tips from Minni.

I bumped into Gazelle on the way roundlast year, I'll keep my eyes open at the start but I expect you'll be ahead of me all the way round even if I do manage 8mm pace.

I'll be onlkine all weekend, sad image