RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Hi Andy, again I feel the same as you, I was over the moon with my time, but even more ecstatic with how I felt all the way round, the miles just seemed to disappear so quickly and I loved the whole experience, such a contrast from last year.

I used the foam roller on monday night and then did some self massage with the massage gel sample we got free in our finishers bag, which I think has helped but probably wasnt as good as yours. Luckily at work im up every 12 minutes to call in my next patient so I think that may have helped alittle yesterday. Not sure I would have been able to have run for a train like you though. With the exception of a minimal tiredness in my hamstrings my legs feel fine today...no idea how they will feel once I attempt to run tonight though!!

I wonder if it was around mile 19 when my watched played up then? I thought it was earlier in the race but I could be wrong. Last time I tried to upload my data from my garmin on to the computer it was a nightmare (computer hasnt been the same since it got a virus about a year ago) so ive not even attempted to down load it. Tend to use my ipad all the time now.
  • Morning Mr P, im glad to hear that you have taken some time of to rest and recuperate. Touch wood im not normally ill, but last year when I was I continued to work and train at the tail end of the illness and prolonged my recovery and I think even caused either a reactivation of the illness, or infection with something else similar straight afterwards. Now I realise the importance of rest and having time of to recover (doctors are always the worse patients...but im getting better).

I fancied chester marathon last year but I was on holiday. I think it sounds like a lovely race and with it being in your home town you will be at an advantage. No travelling, no site seeing the day before, can practice the routes etc. I think it is perfect. Like you said you have put in all the hard work now so all what you will need to do is maintain your fitness and endurance over the summer. I reckon you will comfortably get your sub 3:30 in October.

Whats the sandstone trail (if I have remembered the name correctly)?
  • Hi Minni,

Thankyou for your lovely words and comments. Thankyou for having faith in me and for all your support. For the last 16 weeks and especially in the final week I was worried about feeling as bad as I did last year. Even when I was running I kept waiting for that wall to hit and for me to start feeling pants but it never happened. I think I finally realised by mile 24 that I had cracked it and that I wasnt going to have a bad experience. I thought that all marathons would be painful, but ive realised with the correct training, rest and nutrition, they can be a fun and enjoyable event.

Im feeling excited about training over the summer now ready for york marathon, but im still wondering how im going to run 9 mins quicker....will see how training goes but I may have to do York as a stepping stone towards my dads PB, but we will see.

Like you I followed Ruths carbo loading plan, I did it on both the friday and saturday and feel that it helped.

What are your plans this week to keep you sane with not running?

Its the five miler tonight but im going to do it as a recovery run and see how I get on. My legs feel surprisingly ok at the moment but that might change once they start to run again. After tonight I wont run again until sunday at the earliest.

Whats the aim for your next marathon?
  • A Huge congratulations Dotty on a fabulous new shiny PB. Just think what you could do with the proper nutrition, less sight seeing and everything else...you will be flying round!

I saw two men in mankinis....one was in a green one and another was in a white one. The guy in the white one looked quite old. All i could think about was their costumes rubbing and how badly they would get sunburnt. I know my shoulders did! Did these guys practice running in their costumes do you think??

I think I would be tempted to take edinburgh as a training run to practice nutrition etc and then race berlin. Not sure I could physically race another marathon anyway within the next month, but ive only ever done the two.
  • Thank you Sarah. Good luck with the five miler tonight. Is it a tough course? Hopefully not too many hills! I'll be interested to hear how your legs cope. I was tempted to go out for a wee run this morning but then thought I'd better leave it for a couple of more days.

I was stuck behind the old guy in white but it was funny seeing the various crowd reactions to him. I just wonder how he felt at mile 20 about their cheers of support.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    sarah osborne wrote (see)
    "software for simulating satallite radio interference" your one clever man!! 

Does Mrs Malcs know you have been wearing her compression gear ???? 

Im thinking about York marathon already...need to knock at least 9 mins of my time....in a panic already!!!!

No, not clever at all really. Most of the fancy stuff was done by the guys with PhDs but I did manage to absorb a bit.

Mrs Malcs is still none the wiser so shh, keep the noise down!

Yes York is firmly on my radar too - funny really as my quads are still mush. But don't you have a small matter of a 24hr race and 3 mountains to climb first?!

Angela - have a great flight back!

Dotty - wow you really did start off well. I see what you mean about tailing off a bit at the end. Fantastic result still and shows that if you can sort the tail off out you'll be heading to 3:15!

Minni - I also did the carbo load that Ruth prepped for Ady and it worked wonders. 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Sandstone Trail, 33 miles, quite a climb too..

/members/images/376129/Gallery/st_map_main.jpg

• Hi all

Just wanted to grab the chance to congratulate everyone on their times at london, especially Malcs, Sarah and Minni.

I managed it in 3:47 in the end and i'm not too disappointed for a first go.

I found a post i wrote last year that said something along the lines of 'I want to do Silverstone half in 1:40 and London marathon in 4:30' ... great to see that after hitting 1:30 and 3:47 respectively.

All of your advice really helped with the marathon prep and on the day so thank you very much.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sean - that's fantastic! Well done. I hope you will be doing another one? With that HM time you are easily capable of thrashing 3:30 and beyond.

So what happened with the pen in the end? Did you still end up at the back?

Would love to hear a race report when you have time. How were those final 6 miles?

Mr P - Hope the cold is easing. Wow that looks like quite a challenge! I would love to do an ultra at some point. Looks like a very pretty course.

• Malcs - Thank you. Bigger congrats on your time, 26 minutes is outrageuos! I just wrote a really long report and my browser went mental lost it... I gave you credit in there and everything.

I'll write it again, in word this time, and get it on here asap

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Oh dear - yes, it's an unwritten rule of the forums that if any post is over a few paras you are always best copying it somewhere before pressing the commit button.

Also, if it's a long one then beware as there is a maximum length for a post. Don't worry just split it over several posts.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on!

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Minni - many thanks! And thanks also for the support and advice you have given to all of us on this thread. Thankfully I took your best advice of all - don't be shit!

Angela - don't worry, we certainly won't forget about you. The opposite in fact - all our attention is now on how you are going to do at Halstead, so no pressure image It would be nice to keep the thread going to see how everyone does in their autumn marathons (not me, I'm sticking to 10k's and HM's for the rest of the year). And of course we can discuss our training for SF 2015! It sounds like you have had a great holiday, have a safe trip back.  

Sarah - my legs were still a bit sore this morning but then I went to the gym and did half an hour on the cross trainer at a low level followed by some stretches and now I feel much better, although I'm not sure I'd fancy running 5 miles tonight. I did go to my running club last night but only so that those of us who did the marathon could have our photo taken wearing our t-shirts and medals, after that we went to the pub.

Sean - well done, I'm looking forward to reading your race report.

Dotty1 - well done as well, that's a great time!

• Hey hey Sarah, 7 stone! Yikes! U must be tiny image. My long run this week is 12 miles. I did 4 yesterday- meant to do 6 today but not had time to fit it in with travelling...

AndyA, thanks image I'm a bit concerned that my autumn marathon is too soon after Halstead, especially with the 100 mile bike ride inbetween.... Hmmmm what to do?
  • My London Marathon 2013

Due to slow transport services I only managed to arrive at the start area about 20 minutes before ‘KO’ and wasn’t even nearly ready to go, not a fantastic start. I quickly found my way to the green, packed myself up like an old donkey (with carb gels) and made my way to the lorries. Once I had dropped my bag off and only had myself to worry about I made my way to the already completely packed pens. I didn’t have as long as I’d have liked to suss out my best tactics for getting into a more advanced pen, but had a little walk down the line and spotted a marshal chatting to a runner (distracted), so I quickly crept past him and turned my body away from the other marshal and managed to get into PEN 7 undetected. I was aware this wasn’t where I wanted to be, but that I had also just bypassed thousands of people in 8 and 9 and I made my way around to the far edge (as you lovely people advised) front of 7 and therefore, that was a heck of a lot better than I had been looking at 2 minutes before.

At this point we observed the 30 seconds silence for Boston, which by the way was universally flawless in the area I was in, both runners and spectators absolutely quiet. Once the whistle blew to signify the end of this, there was a big cheer and, to my surprise, they dropped the ropes between Pens. To which I looked around and swiftly took advantage of the situation, I went as far down the side as I could and my journey was finally ended around level with the 3:56 pacer and in sight of the 3:45 one. In this regard, I was pleased.

Things started moving and in the early miles I was pretty relieved at how much space there actually was. Obviously I was going to be running where I wanted exactly, but there was definitely to sign of slowing to anywhere the feared complete stop that had been mentioned. I tried my absolute hardest to stay with the pace that was dictated to me by the crowds, always remaining conscious that I should only take the gaps that opened up. I know that MALCS said to avoid jumping on and off the curbs etc, but at a lot of points in the early miles I definitely found it far better than staying in the stressful crowds. Every time I made my way up onto the paths it was due to being cut up and being left with the choice to either expel additional effort in slamming on the brakes, or moving up the curb and continuing there. I definitely feel like the route using the effort to continue momentum was the better bet than using the energy to slow down and then have to speed up again.

• In the middle of the race it was SOO WARMMMM, in the suburbia type areas, there was no wind and I was getting rather too warm for my liking. I took on as much water as I could and just ploughed on. I cruised through the miles up to Tower Bridge and felt good at that point.

At halfway I clocked 1:45:53 and was taking things at the pace that came naturally (if not a little slower to be careful). But from soon after halfway and onward, I deteriorated a little then a little more. MINNI was spot on with forecasting my endurance wouldn’t be where I needed it, and although I didn’t feel overly ‘tired’ my legs did start to give up on the pace side of things. My knees hurt and calves were not keen on me either. I took 3 or 4 pauses to stretch out and then shuffled on toward embankment. Once I was nearer 20 miles the heat eased, I assume with the breeze from the Thames. I managed to stay concentrated on taking water on-board every other mile and kept consuming my carbs gels every 4/5 miles even though near the end they were truly disgusting after being slow cooked at 200 degrees in my pockets for the previous 3 hours (NB, Lemon Lime SIS gels are way less ‘gross’ than orange when warm).

Thankfully, time is linear and eventually the end had to come and after more than 3 1/2 hours I was within the last mile (and a bit). Then end still seemed so far away but I just kept saying to myself that if I keep going the end comes quicker. By this point the only time I wanted to beat was my brother’s 3:52 and I was watching my pace and time obsessively, making the required calculations way more times than I’d like to admit. It was almost as though I was a goldfish, every time I finished calculating that my current pace would bring me in with minutes to spare, I started to work it out again ‘just in case’.

• Long story short, I blooming did it, and I did it 5 minutes quicker than anyone in my family ever has before. So I’ll choose to ignore the nearly 8000 people in front of me and just focus on that. My legs wouldn’t work and when I finished I was very much of the mind-set that it was all a very stupid idea and that everyone around me were similarly stupid for submitting themselves to such a thing voluntarily. It’s fortunate that I didn’t write this then really, lol.

Something that did help was that on my way to my charity’s meeting place some elderly ladies stopped me to congratulate me on finishing and told me how incredible I was, that helped a lot actually. What also helped was that she had to ask me how long her son might be before he finishes as he is about 6 miles away.

Anyway, that’s me, first marathon done, looking forward to applying in the ballot on Monday.

Thank you all for your advice and help along the way. And well done on all beating me in the race, (swines) ha.

Sean

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sean - very well done.  You've every right to feel pleased.  You will have learned so much from this marathon and I'm sure you'll knock loads of time off that next time. image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sean - great report! You did a fantastic job there. Nice work on the pens - respect for getting so close to the 3:45 pacer! There's absolutely no doubt it would have been much harder for you if you'd been at the back.

London is always warm. It bugs me when they say on the commentary that it's perfect conditions for running. Ask anyone doing it and they will tell you it is a long way from perfect.

I agree with Minni - you will have learned more than you know from this. You also got a load of things right, which is very hard on your first attempt. You didn't go off too fast. You took on the gels at regular intervals and crucially you managed the mental side well - this is critical for a good finish.

If you don't get in on the ballot do a smaller marathon instead. You'll find it easier to pace properly and if it's earlier in the spring and not in the capital then it might be cooler too.

Most important of all, come back here and share the training journey. Whether it's with us or on another thread you will benefit massively both from the advice and the moral support.

With your HM time you should easily be aiming sub 3:30 next time and longer term even quicker than that. Get that endurance up (that was pretty much all I focused on this time) and you will decimate your already very good time.

Well done once again!

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Sean - nice one, it sounds like you ran a really good race. Next time I'm sure you will get under 3 1/2 hours now that you have the experience - I've only done three marathons but I've learned a huge amount each time, both about running the race itself and the training and preparation.

Malcs - I meant to say before, I read your race report on the other thread, that is really inspiring stuff! There is a quote which has been going around since events in Boston, I'm not sure where it originates from - "If you are trying to break the human spirit, marathon runners are the wrong sort of people to pick on", and I think your experience illustrates that perfectly.

Angela - Wow, you've got a busy year! I tend to leave gaps of two or three years between my marathons and don't do too much cycling so I can't offer much advice I'm afraid. One for Minni I reckon.

In case anyone is interested you can see our running club's marathon finishers photo here - I'm the one on the far right.

http://www.h90j.org.uk/

The guy next to me was the oldest competitor in the race (he's 82), so I look forward to discussing all of your training plans for the 2050 VLM.

I have to say the finishers' t-shirts were much smarter than usual this year. 

• Well done Sean! Great first marathon- dont worry, ur still much faster than meimage

Malcs- finally got around to reading ur race report- couldn't agree more about the benefit from 26.2 and I didn't even get to the bootcamp!

AndyA - great pic image so inspiring when u see people running in their 70s and 80s! Our parkrun event director is 70 and came 3rd in his age group, and someone from my church in her 60s did this as her first marathon- she's been training for over a year working towards it- I hope I'm still running when I'm that age...

So tonight I'm planning 6 miles with the middle 2 miles at MP
  • Dotty we must have been running quite close to one another at some point then as I was near him then aswell! image

Yesterday, my left leg felt great but the hamstring in my right leg was quite tight when I first started running. It loosened off at about 3 miles, when I stupidly picked up my pace. To be honest if my hamstring hadnt felt a little tight, my legs would have felt normal and as though I hadnt even run a marathon on sunday.

The course had one big long hill (mile 2) but that was it. If I was still being mentored I think I would have been told off about last night (I did the first and third mile at 7:09 m/m, the 2nd mile at 8:02 m/m and the last two at 6:35 m/m - opps)!!

Was worried about my legs afterwards but we had about a mile walk to get to the car and then I did lots of stretching. They feel fine today but im going to rest now until sunday 

• Malcs wrote (see)

No, not clever at all really. Most of the fancy stuff was done by the guys with PhDs but I did manage to absorb a bit.

Mrs Malcs is still none the wiser so shh, keep the noise down!

Yes York is firmly on my radar too - funny really as my quads are still mush. But don't you have a small matter of a 24hr race and 3 mountains to climb first?!

I dont wana sound like one of those annoying people, but my legs have felt great, with the exception of a slightly tight right hamstring when I ran yesterday they have felt normal. My 5 mile recovery run didnt work well yesterday, managed to run 5 miles in 35:38 in the end image - got a bit carried away - opps!

E I forgot about those...im sure they will all be good preparation for york (fingers crossed). need to start practising running twice in one day

• Looking at the map, sandstone trail looks tough Mr P....good luck

• Hi Sean a huge congratulations on a fabulous first marathon time (identical to mine). I suffered like you in my first marathon due to a lack of endurance, but I concentrated on that area this time round with Minnis help and found the whole run fantastic this year. I loved every minute of it, such a contrast from last year. Im so glad that I had a second attempt and didnt let the horrors of my first marathon stop me and haunt me forever.

Well done on pen jumping too, im impressed

• Hi Andy, im loving the photo. Your club put it up on the internet quickly! The 82 year old gentlman certainly doesnt look his age.

I had to give my top to the OH as its too big for me....again image

How are your legs today after the cross training?

My right hamstring was tight when I first started running yesterday and then loosened off my mile 3. Other than that my legs felt great and as though I hadnt run a marathon. I even managed some sub 7 min/mls....although that wasnt entirely intentional!

• Hi Angela...im alittle heavier than that now....the joys of sitting on my bum all day made me gain alittle weight, but my BMI is more normal now at 19.5!

How did your run go today?

12 miles sounds a nice distance to run this week. At what sort of pace?

How long is it between your bike ride and marathon?

• Hiya Sarah, I got home and was starving, so decided not to run tonight and instead cooking dinner now. I'm quite tired after the first day back at work, so I'm quite happy to leave this one. I am after all in taper time.

Bike ride is the week after TR24 and the marathon is 6 October, so 2 months- been thinking about it a lot today and I think I'm going to take a fairly lax approach to the bike training whilst keeping the running up. I want to try and get upto 4 20 milers in before Bournemouth, so will forego a couple of my long rides to fit those in. I now have a running race each month other than August, so I think that will motivate me to continue some running training. Really hoping that 2 runs and 3 rides per week will keep enough of my running fitness so I can improve on whatever time I get in Halstead...
  • 12 mile I was thinking of easy with the last 4 at MP? Do u think this is ok?
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone, still resting I must say its like having new legs! I've been allowed a beer tonight too so all good image

Sean that's a really good report, you can really feel the emotion coming through. Congratulations, you beat me anyway!

Good race Sarah, the only time I see 6:35 is when I wake up to my radio alarm image

Spent the evening making Cheesecakes to take to work as its my birthday tomorrow, I think mrs p will make a good meal so my race return at parkrun might be a little less than spectacular on Saturday.

No pressure Angela, but we're all watching you...;-)
  • You guys are soo mean! Trying to make me succumb to taper madness!! Well I'm having none of it... Though I am concerned tonight that my knee is mysteriously swelling....