RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• And I have a headache, and I keep sneezing... Though that could be hayfever.... Hmmm, eeek image
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

Yes, we have another guy in his late 60s and I can't get close to him in a 10k when he is fully fit. It really gives me hope because although I started running relatively late in life I still feel I have a plenty of good running years ahead of me.

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

My legs have been feeling pretty good thanks - the soreness and stiffness have completely gone. I'll do it again tomorrow and think about running again on Sunday.

I'm glad your run went well and you are feeling good.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Angela - I lost count of the number of colds I didn't have in my taper. It definitely could be hayfever given that it was like summer here today. Don't worry temperatures are dropping like a stone ready for the weekendimage

You should definitely consider entering the 26.2 comp next year. Getting to boot camp is a good enough prize in itself so it's worth a go.

Mr P - have a great birthday and enjoy the cakes!

Andy - many thanks. Yes, that was a great quote and so true too. Excellent photo. I'll be happy to be alive let alone running at 82!

Sarah - respect for being able to run at all so soon after VLM let alone running so damn fast!
  • AndyA I hope this older running is a growing trend (though secretly I don't as I wanna win a race one day!) - it certainly would be a nice counter to childhood obesity. So many non-runners try to warn me off running because it'll ruin my knees- I actually believe they're far stronger because of it, and when I have had stupid injuries from falling off my bike etc they have actually healed super fast, partially because as a runner I know what to do first but also because my body is used to repairing my muscles almost everyday the recovery cells are well trained- least that's my theory.

Malcs, miraculously the knee swell headache and sneezes all disappeared when I ate up the last bit of caramel chew chew ice cream- who knew we could add that to chocolate milk as essential items to have at homeimage unfortunately these ailments gave way to a night of nightmares about my wedding dress being made in the wrong colour with a nasty lace train attached which was too short and garish bling all over it and a red bodice.... Basically not what I've ordered at all!!!

I did enter 26.2 this year but clearly my story was too boringimage I'll try again next year though, for sure image

Sarah amazing run- I really want to join a running club for all these mid-week races!!
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

That seems like a reasonable theory to me. The thing is, any moderately demanding form of exercise is going to put a strain on the body and there may even come a point when one kind of activity is no longer possible and you have to take up another instead, but in general the benefits of exercise, particularly if its an activity you enjoy, will far outweigh the negatives.     

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Hiya Sarah, I got home and was starving, so decided not to run tonight and instead cooking dinner now. I'm quite tired after the first day back at work, so I'm quite happy to leave this one. I am after all in taper time.

Bike ride is the week after TR24 and the marathon is 6 October, so 2 months- been thinking about it a lot today and I think I'm going to take a fairly lax approach to the bike training whilst keeping the running up. I want to try and get upto 4 20 milers in before Bournemouth, so will forego a couple of my long rides to fit those in. I now have a running race each month other than August, so I think that will motivate me to continue some running training. Really hoping that 2 runs and 3 rides per week will keep enough of my running fitness so I can improve on whatever time I get in Halstead...

Its so hard to sometimes resist the urge to go straight home after work and eat. There is an emergency sweetie draw at work which I sometimes raid before I leave work and go to the gym, just to try to keep myself ticking over so that I dont drive straight home and past the gym!

Silly me, I forgot that the bike ride was the weekend after TR24. One of my friends who ran london this year is training for an iron man. She also went over on her ankle at the end of december. For that reason she hasnt done half as much running as she normally does, and has been replacing her usual runs with swims and cycling. Her time at VLM this year was identical to her time last year, which just goes to show that cross training doesnt necessarily have a negative impact on your running!!image

Will this weekend be 2 weeks before your marathon? If it is I did a 10m run on the friday with 7 miles at MP and then I did 15 miles on the sunday slow (MP + 1 min) if that helps? I have been getting all my schedule out so I can try to copy it for my autumn marathon....I wana be mentored again!image

Do I need to start advising my patients to have caramel chew chew ice cream rather than mulled wine now?

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    Evening everyone, still resting I must say its like having new legs! I've been allowed a beer tonight too so all good image

Sean that's a really good report, you can really feel the emotion coming through. Congratulations, you beat me anyway!

Good race Sarah, the only time I see 6:35 is when I wake up to my radio alarm image

Spent the evening making Cheesecakes to take to work as its my birthday tomorrow, I think mrs p will make a good meal so my race return at parkrun might be a little less than spectacular on Saturday.

No pressure Angela, but we're all watching you...;-)

A huge happy birthday Mr P imageimageimageimage, hope you have been feeling better for it and youve had a fantastic day so far. Cheesecake sounds good and totally deserved. What has Mrs P made you for tea?

Good luck tomorrow morning with your park run

• Hi Andy, im glad to hear that your legs have made a full recovery. How far are you planning on running on Sunday?

• Malcs wrote (see

Andy - many thanks. Yes, that was a great quote and so true too. Excellent photo. I'll be happy to be alive let alone running at 82!

Sarah - respect for being able to run at all so soon after VLM let alone running so damn fast!

That makes two of us...to be able to run at 82 is fantastic, I dont think I will still be capable....although with the way things are going I will still probably be at work running around shouting patients in to my room!
    How are your legs Malcs, have you attempted a run yet?

• I was so tempted to go for a run today....so strange not having to run on a friday. I really wasnt sure what to do with myself instead.

I had to go into town to sign the documents for our mortgage so I decided to walk there and back to get some exercise, fresh air and take my mind off running. After walking for 2.5 hours I got back home and actually felt quite tired...it felt almost like I had been running for 2 hours instead of walking for 2.5. After a short rest my legs felt ok again however so I went to the gym to do some weights. I was only going to work on my core and arms and then do some stretches, but once I was there I decided to do my legs too (but I did only do one set on my legs).

My legs and arms felt suprisingly ok and I was able to lift the same weights as previously, despite me last using them 11 days previously. My hamstrings are improving day by day. Normally I can touch my toes. Since the marathon I have been about 10 cm off being able to touch my toes, until today, today I was only 5cm away!!

• /members/images/644249/Gallery/298010_10200907194343030_741566424_n.jpg

This is the sign I had in mind all the way round Angela

• /members/images/644249/Gallery/11775_10151419152673310_302131805_n.jpg

And at the end with 4 of my friends from Maltby Running Club

• Mr P! Happy birthday image image

caramel chew chew is certainly a good recommendation now it's approaching summer- u can switch back to mulled wine in November!

great picture of Seb Coe- I shall have to remember that.  I'm partway through his autobiography at the Moment- so inspirational!

im having non-marathon related nerves... am run director for Colchester park run tomorrow... Eeeek!

• Ps, Sarah, how on earth do u get your arm above your head after 22 miles?

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Great photos, thanks for the birthday wishes, I've had a good day! Just sipping a nice malt image

We had a simple meal of steak sautéed potatoes and mushrooms while we watched the recording of the marathon, rock n roll eh?

hopefullyparkrun tomorrow, then I have to book some accommodation as we are going to Scotland for a week after the Sandstone trail (Ben Nevis that'll be fun) but I wonder if I suggested a last minute beach holiday mrs p might agree....

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - I agree with Angela, if I tried to lift my arms above chest height at the end of a race they would lock up. Great pics by the way. Is that guy in black just ahead of you a giant? 

My legs are fine now thanks so I will attempt a little jog on Sunday. Only a complete nutcase would do a 5 mile race 3 days after a marathon image

Angela - hope the park run direction went well. I'm sure it will do you good to take your mind off the taper madness.

Mr P - good to hear you had a nice birthday. Ben Nevis is amazing but I see your issue. A week would be fine post marathon but an ultra? I have no experience in this area. Have you done one before? 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - forgot to say, it sounds like your house sale & purchase are progressing nicely. Is there any talk of completion dates yet?

After our buyers pulled out two weeks ago we've had quite a few people back. Last weekend the agent showed someone round for a second viewing and they were very keen. However, she has called to say that, whilst she was going to make an offer she would now be buying the house two doors down.

This surprised me as it wasn't on the market yet. She told our agent that after leaving our house the other day the guy selling the house two doors down got talking to them, invited them to have a look and has done her a special deal. Sneaky git. 

Haven't seen him yet but when I do I will be mentioning that I hear he has a buyer and that we did too until some leech stole her from under us. Can't believe the cheek. I told my agent to send him a bill!  image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I've done this one before Malcs, I found it very different from road running, a lot of walking on the climbs, lots of natural breaks at stiles and hilltops,, stops at feed stations all help to break it up.  The last few miles are up frodsham hill through Delamere forest and strangely a tough climb is easier than a road mile in those circumstances, you just engage with it differently. I

• Heya,so park run direction was good- a record turnout again- 153 image

spent the rest of the day driving near Halstead trying to figure out the route, had a beer on the way home, then did my 4 miles marathon pace... David went to the pub to watch football and his team lost pretty badly, so a bit depressed, so we're sharing a bottle of red...d'oh! Also planning naughty breakfast tomorrow of bacon and eggs, then for the rest of tomorrow I'll remember I'm already 2 weeks away to my race... Eeeeeeek.... Have had at least 3 phantom niggles today....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

He doesn't support Newcastle by any chance, Angela? image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

lol indeed image

• Hi Angela, congrats on your parkrun. You must be so happy with the turn out. I need to try and go to a park run soon, although it might be the end of may before I have a free saturday to schedule it in. 

Went for an easy 5 mile run this morning. Went with a friend who I havent seen for a while as he injured her ankle a month ago. Was nice to catch up with her and have a run through the woods. Managed 5.5 miles at an average pace of 9:30 min mls. Right hamstring was still slightly tight but it is getting better.

I think my OH went through the same pain as your OH yesterday, although chris turned the TV off at 4 goals.....so glad I was in sheffield and he was in York, can imagine that he wasnt the happiest of people yesterday evening. It doesnt help that his close friend at work supports liverpool either!

Did you enjoy your bacon and eggs this morning? Did you manage a run today?

I felt great all the way round VLM and especially when I saw all my friends and family at the point where that photo was taken...hope I feel as good in my next marathon!

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Great photos, thanks for the birthday wishes, I've had a good day! Just sipping a nice malt image

We had a simple meal of steak sautéed potatoes and mushrooms while we watched the recording of the marathon, rock n roll eh?

hopefullyparkrun tomorrow, then I have to book some accommodation as we are going to Scotland for a week after the Sandstone trail (Ben Nevis that'll be fun) but I wonder if I suggested a last minute beach holiday mrs p might agree....

Glad to hear that you had a lovely day and managed to treat yourself to a nice malt and eat well. If you cant do it on your birthday, when can you??

How did your park run go today?

Ive just been booking our accommodation in skye, stonaway and ullapool, and our ferries today. I love glencoe and fort william. You will have an amazing time...unless Mrs P bought the beach holiday idea????image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Sarah - I agree with Angela, if I tried to lift my arms above chest height at the end of a race they would lock up. Great pics by the way. Is that guy in black just ahead of you a giant? 

My legs are fine now thanks so I will attempt a little jog on Sunday. Only a complete nutcase would do a 5 mile race 3 days after a marathon image

Lol, trust you to notice that guy...he is pretty big though isnt he ? I hadnt even noticed him until you pointed him out...maybe time to go back to the opticians!

Did you manage a run today?

I did think that I was an idiot after I had finished the race on wednesday....but saying that I found out that im third in my category in the road race league after 3 runs, so I might win a prize if I keep it up in the last race. I dont think I can catch 1st and 2nd lady up unless they walk the last race or dont turn up, but im still pleasantly suprised after taking the second race steady and not racing the other two flat out. The lady behind me in 4th has a combined time of 5 mins more than me, so again I would really have to mess up in the last race (or not make the start line) to slip out of third place!

• Hey Sarah,

yeah, we cancelled espn a few months ago to help with wedding saving, so David had to go to the pub on his own as none of his friends were free... Apparently he found a scouser to commiserate with, so even had whiskey!!!

whats ur best 5k time? With your speed you could be in with a shot of the female course record at Colchester- I even think I can make top 10 when I finally run it! image

glad your hammy is starting to feel better, but be carful it doesn't develop into something more.

decided against bacon and egg this morning in favour of oats and sultanas with milk.  Will put the bacon in our pasta dinner this evening instead.

met the women in my church who did VLM - the one in her 60s. She was disappointed With her time of 6h30, so is entering the ballot tomorrow image

i did 12 miles today- went for easy with miles 7-9 at MP- was going to be 7-10 but my body was feeling the effects of lamb and wine last night and really needed a pit stop, so had to slow down to allow me to get to a public toilet before the stopimage

• Thats so cheeky of your neighbour Malcs, I cant believe that they did that to you. Does that mean that they wont have to pay estate agent costs either as he sold it privately!! Some sneaky people about.

Up to now everything seems to be going smoothly with the house...but still I wont be celebrating until we have signed those contracts. No completion date as yet but im going to phone the estate agents were buying the house form next week to try to get an update. We had our house surveyed on friday so im dreading a phonecall from them telling us that we need to do work on the house or something!