RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Hello all!

Mr P. +1 for being jealous of your holiday. Sounds like lovely, relaxing place and definitely the right decision to go there than holidaying in Scotland. Looks like you have a couple of busy racing weeks coming up. What distance is the new race at Ellesmere Port?

Angela - Hope you are feeling better. When is the Bournemouth marathon? Will you have some time off after the bike race to recover before starting training again? I was wondering if you had considered joining a London based club? I remembered you mention how much you would like to join your local one a few posts back but it was difficult because of your commute.

Sarah - fantastic result on a really hard course. I can see you breaking sub 40 mins this summer. How much harder is the next race in four weeks time? Have you started training for York marathon?

I have promised to take a two week break from running to allow legs and toes to recover before starting any training schedule. I'm already missing it! I went for another sports massage yesterday and although it was torture, she has worked a miracle on my calves. I think a lot of my niggles come from having a weak core so I'm going to try and get into doing core strength training now. Hopefully when I start training for my next marathon ( Berlin in September ) it will have become a habit.

It was rival drug gangs battling on Sunday seemingly. Two dead bodies, crashed car and guys running about the street with guns. Really shocking.
  • Mr P it sounds like you had a lovely holiday. Where abouts did you stay? Im tempted to try to travel that way next year if all goes well. Sounds like you have alot of up coming races to keep you busy! How far is the ellesmere one? 

Angela im sure all your fitness will soon come back. If anything the rest may have done you some good. After doing isle of skye half im going to rest my running shoes for a week...think they need a rest, although two days into it they will probably be itching to go. Do your legs feel better for not running or are they raring to go? 

I know I was struggling to find a good and convienient 10 k and then several came along at once. Fingers crossed one more local at the time of year you want it will come up soon. You could have a look at the local running club websites (if you havent already) and see if they have anything.

I would still recommend getting your speed training in as it improves your marathon pace and makes that feel more like a doddle. I have tried to do one speed session a week + one long run as my two good quality sessions, the rest are just easy runs to build up the milage and time on my feet.

Your wedding and honeymoon will come round very quickly im sure.

Dotty, the next 10k in the series is actually supposed to be the easiest but im away in scotland that week so I will miss it. The one after is supposed to be the hardest according to people ive spoken to and going on the one this week and the description of the half marathon in the same area, I reckon its going to be tough. The one after that is supposed to be reasonabley easy though so we will see. Would love to get a sub 40 mins for a 10k but im not sure if I will get it this year or not.

I promised myself a rest after london but I still havent had it yet. When were up in skye im going to have a week off after the HM (if I can survive). Im going to start marathon training for york at the beginning of July but im still trying to keep my milage and long runs reasonabley high to make the training easier when it starts. 

Sounds like you had a fantastic massage. I had one last fri and could happily have another one again tomorrow, it felt painfully nice, if that makes sense!

I didnt even realise that they had gangs and things in edinburgh. Some horrible people about!

• Just went to the gym tonight to do my resistance training and 5.5 miles..was supposed to be 6 but I needed the bathroom! I found the run quite boring today...the less i do on the TM the harder I find it. Trying to save my legs for the park run on saturday.

forgot, my virgin page;

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/SarahAttwood

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

We went Katelios on Kefalonia, near Skala, lovely. 

Ellesmere port is a 10k, pretty flat, but judging by tonight's performance at running club it will not be a pb, too many souvlakis I think.

Angela I hope you feel better soon you're such a cheerful character I don't like to think of you under the weather. The Lake District will kill or cure you!  When I am on the PC I will post a picture of mrs P in our tent in June one year in Keswick, absolutely freezing.  

On our next trip we want to go up Blencathra and then down to Helvellyn, I have a thing about starting a walk from where we have already been, and there is a gap there, also I'd like to walk from Honister slate mine back over to Keswick. 

• Hiya Dotty, Bournemouth marathon is the 6th october- given this is my first proper cycle event and I'm still very much a beginner I'm not going to take it too seriously and am actually starting marathon training in the lead up to the ride.  I think I probably could get quite fast at cycling but I'm too scared to go out on the roads and really push it.  I have thought about joining a London club but I do much prefer running in Colchester- and I am hoping that I don't have to do this journey everyday in the coming years.  I suspect when I'm done with the wedding I might be able to arrange life a bit better so that I could make it home in time for one of the Colchester club nights.  My boss is really understanding about striking a work life balance that works for me as he appreciates for me to be creative I need to be able to get my runs in etc- we had a chat a couple months ago where he suggested I should be walking through fields to think through some of the problems we face.

Sarah, I think you're right.  My legs definitely feel raring to go and I'm scheming doing the parkrun tomorrow- starting to wish I had begged for antibiotics- the last bit of this cough isn't shifting and it's just annoying now- will pop into the pharmacy to get some cough syrup, and some brandy!! image. I also find TM running impossible now- when I did it in Dublin it was super hard!

Mr P, ur so sweet!  I dont much like me sick either! image. Looking forward to the photo.  We used to go to the lakes every summer when I was tiny/ we have family around there- Isherwood is a Lancashire name afterall image the last time I went was when I was doing my A levels- we were studying glaciation an I begged my dad to take me.  He got to drag me on walks and I got to see all the glacial landscape.  Really looking forward to going again/ we just bought an slr camera to get some good shots there :/)

• Hi Mr P, your resort looked lovely... the pictures showing the bright blue sky and sea, just makes me wish I was there now...im holiday sick!

Greek food is amazing, I moved  moussaka and kleftiko....mmmmm. I really want to go back to Greece now.

Ive never heard of Blencathra before but I would like to walk Helvellyn after I have done the three peaks. My friend has just done it and his photos are amazing.

Good luck with your park run in the morning.

Hi Angela your boss sounds amazing...where can I find one from like them? My friend who did London marathon this year got the same time as last year, however this year she mainly cycled due to her getting an inversion injury of her ankle and not being able to run for several weeks...reassuring that the cross training works!

Mulled wine works too (for infections) image. Good luck tomorrow if you do decide to run at your park run.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I was trying to post photos but they're too big image

• The only way I could put photos up on here was to upload them on facebook first and then save them from there on to my computer and then upload it on here...im sure there is an easier way!

Had a fantastic park run this morning. I started with a 1.7 miles warm up, the 3.1 race and then a 4.5 mile cool down.

I did the park run in York for the first time. It was a completley flat course but the wind made up for it. The course was one lap and two thirds around the path on the york race course. A quarter of the course had the wind behind you, but at that point I started to feel too hot due to the sun beaming down, so I was quite relieved when you went around the bend and there was a side wind to cool me down. After that then it was running into a head on wind, which was tough but luckily I managed to tuck myself in behind a man in front of me and then later two men infront of me, which helped.

My official time was 19:39 and I was the First Lady to finish. imageimage

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Wow!

I was 41st person, I didn't take my watch today and I pretty much got straight out of bed into the car so I forgot my bar code too. Lovely morning though, a short drive on the back roads through the forest, then the route is around a lake, then home for ten, brilliant.

• Well done Sarah, awesome Parkrun, and first lady too! That's excellent image. I didn't make it to Parkrun this morning. instead was focussing on wedding things.  My dad had always intended getting his Austin 10 ( a car he drove when he was at university and after) up and running, but never got around to it.  But my father in law to be reckons he can get it going, so we all went to mums this morning to have a look at it.  David's dad thinks he can do it, and so that will be my wedding car, allowing a symbol of my dad to be there on the day.  After that I went for a massage, and then started baking the bottom tier of my practise wedding cake,  it requires 5.5 hours in the oven, so I have just gone out for a 9 mile run.  Whilst I'm still coughing a bit, I wonder if it might be hayfever That's irritating my throat.

I'll post the garmin stast in a bit but pretty sure I did all 9 miles at aroumy my last marathon pace, which gives me confidence for a sub or near 4 in the autumn...

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

/members/images/376129/Gallery/taverna.jpg

/members/images/376129/Gallery/IMG_1222.jpg

/members/images/376129/Gallery/Katelios_beach.jpg

/members/images/376129/Gallery/IMG_1223.jpg

• Awh, you guys are making me so jealous with your great running and Angela just made it worse by mentioning cake!!! Now all I can think of is cake.

What a lovely idea to use your dad's car. I do hope they manage to get it running, Angela.
  • Dotty, my fiancé and I are going mad- yummy cakey smell, and we can't touch it for 2 months whilst I make and decorate all the other layers and put it together!!

• So, despite still having a bit of a cough, I decided I would go ahead with my 9 mile run, and that I'd do it on a hilly route as I have a 14 mile trail race in the Lake District next weekend.

I set out at an easy pace, and was flying. Was at the pace I was trying to keep for my recent marathon. I decided I would slow down if it felt to hard, but my legs kept taking me along at around that pace, so I thought I'd enjoy it after being made to rest. It was as if my body had decided after the marathon that it would make me sick so that it could rebuild my muscles to that higher specification to be able to run a marathon at that pace easily. Isn't the human body amazing?

The paces jump around a bit, but it was hilly:
    Mile 1: 9:50
    Mile 2: 9:23
    Mile 3: 9:46
    Mile 4: 9:19
    Mile 5: 9:30
    Mile 6: 9:18
    Mile 7: 9:33
    Mile 8: 9:51
    Mile 9: 9:15

The last 3 seconds were at 7mm pace too. I'm glad that this speed felt easy today, but not sureif it's because I'm faster or because I've had so much rest.

Does this mean I can do my sub 4 marathon in the autumn?    
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Err...yes image 

bit of both perhaps Angela? I keep saying it but I've always had my best results in other distances after a spring marathon.

• In the absence of cake and possibly tipped over the edge by Mr P's holiday photos, I consoled myself with a glass of wine or two. I don't think I could've shown as much restraint as you, Angela, with all those yummy cake smells.

I think you could go sub 4 but you have got a lot going on this year with the Wedding to organise. I find with each marathon I do, my confidence grows. It took me three attempts to run the full distance but now I know I can do it, I just have to work on pace and nutrition. Have you been looking at training plans? I've been looking at P&D, though as its 17 weeks to Berlin if I wanted to follow their 18 week plan I should've started last week!
  • Wow Puffy your photos are lovely, its really making want to go back to Greece. I sort of wish I was going on friday now instead of going to skye...although im sure I will enjoy skye too. Are the photos taken from your hotel? Such a good position next to the beach if they were.

Sounds like you had a lovely park run yesterday. The setting for it sounds lovely.

I hope that your father in law to be is able to get the car working Angela , like you said, it would be so nice to have something that your dad treasured so much at your wedding.

I think it was the thought of cake at home that made you run quickly and made it feel easy image.

Congratulations on your training run, I think the rest will have helped a bit although sometimes a good rest can sometimes leave you feeling a little stiff and wooden. I hope you will get your sub 4 hours, you deserve it. Im so jealous of your race next weekend...if it was on any other weekend I would have come and joined you.

Thankyou again for sponsoring me for the three peaks, im so grateful. image

Hi Dotty a huge thankyouto you as well for kindly sponsoring me and supporting the epilepsy society, I really appreciate all your support and generosity.image

I think you deserved wine after your getting such a fabulous time at your second marathon in under two months.

I really wouldn't worry about missing the first week of P&D training...you have loads of training, speed and endurance in those legs!!image

• Mr P I definitely think u get a bit of 'free speed' after training for a marathon.  My 5k pb was set the July after my London marathon in 2011 with no specific training.  I've never done particularly specific training for the shorrter distances but my pbs suggest I should be way faster at the longer races, so I still need to work on enduranc

dotty, yes we have the wedding to plan, but I don't think it will be too much work until the month or so before.  It's not until 24 may next year, so I reckon I could still do Paris or London marathon and then do all the last minute stuff.  We've already booked the venue and the church.  I play piano for a young persons choir at the church too, so we're trying to figure out a piece they can sing.  David is making the website and invitations, and I've already got my dress ordered, so we have almost a year to dress the bridal party and book the honey moon image

as for the training plan, I hijacked the plan that shady Ady followed in his Paris marathon campaign.  It's only 3 - 4 days training per week, so puttin in a couple of bike rides with that I think will allow me to improve on the base ive built this year so far.

Sarah, I think you might be right about rushing back for cake- it's sooooooo big!  We really wanted it more today- we went on a 54 mile bike ride!!! Furthest I've ever cycled!   Dunno how i'mgonna manage 100.  Well for the Lake District I'll make sure to do a thorough race report and if its any good perhaps u could do it next year.  I'm jealous about isle of Skye- really looking forward to hearing about that.  Are u going for a pb again?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Morning all. 

I'm back from the land of the kilt. I gave up on my mum's wifi early on in the week - too painful. Need to get her set up with another provider.

Dotty - belated congratulations on an immense result! I had a funny feeling you might succumb to temptation and go for it. That's an amazing time and even better when you consider your hip issue and the proximity to VLM.

We were over in Edinburgh on Thursday and Friday. I know you mentioned you were in the restaurant business - we might have been able to pop in and say hello had I been more organised. That said the time evaporated. 

Great race report. Mrs Malcs does the world's worst 'Taggert, there's been a murder' impression.

Sarah - the pocket rocket strikes again! You are absolutely flying at the moment.

How is the house move going? Do you have a completion date yet?

Angela - sounds like you are amazingly well organised for this wedding mullarky. Website? You need a web site these days? Do you have an iPhone app as well?image

Got anywhere in mind for honeymoon yet? You don't sound like you're the lay on a beach for two weeks type but I could be wrong. 

Best of luck for the weekend. Whereabouts in the Lake District is it?

Mr P -  thanks for the pics, I now desperately want to go away somewhere warm and sunny. We did have a bit of sun in Scotland but it wasn't particularly warm. 

Unfortunately we've had to kick our summer holiday into touch because of this house selling business image.

• Yippeeeeee! Malcs is back.. I was starting to think you didn't like us!

The race is in Keswick - bit more of a corporate race than my recent ones: http://www.greattrailchallenge.org/

My OH wants to get into graphic design... who knew accountancy was boring?... image so the website is a good opportunity to play with things.  It also means that we could organise say a rehearsal dinner and let people know about it in the few weeks before, rather than committing ourselves to it now when we don't know if we can afford it - also, most gift registries are online too.

I have succombed to the lay about on a beach holiday just this once - we're going to St Lucia, so he can play golf, and I can wave putters around frustrated that the ball wont go in the bloody hole! image  We do that in return for a lifetime of running holidays image  San Fran marathon 2015, Comrades 2016, Boston 2017.... that kind of thing image  We're just in the process of booking- I'm wondering whether there is any negotiation room.  The current quote comes in just under budget (£230 under) but I would really like to upgrade to one of those walk out onto the beach rooms, which is an extra £900.  I wonder if I can negotiate to get one of those rooms for the £230 if I book now....Anyone got any experience on that? I usually book my holidays on expedia about 2 weeks before I travel... :-S

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Your race loooks fantastic. I quite fancy doing a trail race some time. I like off road running but I don't get to do a great deal of it where I am.

St Lucia is spectacular. We went there for our honeymoon too. We stayed at  Sandals St. Lucia (there were two at the time - I think the other was called halcyon or something). Our one had a golf course on site but we didn't use it. Scuba was amazing - even just snorkelling was great in that water.

We hired a jeep and took it up to the volcano. I remember stopping to ask directions at one point and being surrounded by people, several of whom wanted to jump on the back and come with us! Nice but a little scary.

Ha - so does your OH know that he's signing up for this lifetime of running holidays? image Sounds like you have a better chance of converting him to running than he has converting you to golf.

Re. negotiation, yes go for it - there is always room for negotiation no matter what people tell you. You just need to be confident. That said I'll admit I'm pretty useless at it. 

• Hoorah, we're going for Sandals La Toc, which is the one with the golf course image

I tried to like golf - I even bought him golf lessons for us for his christmas lessons, but the last few times have resulted in me sulking for about an hour before we need to leave because its so darn boring.  I'm actually not that bad at it, I can hit the ball straight etc, but I just find it dull...  We had thought about the Halcyon but the reviews, whilst still excellent do point to it being a bit tired and run down (relatively).

Why don't you join Sarah and I for the Orion 15 next March- PROPER trail race and really really hard and muddy!  You'll love it!

He has already experienced running holidays... NYC non-marathon, South of France for a week fo marathon training... we're about to go to the Lake District for  a race.. we had a weekend in Reading Last year for the Reading half marathon- in fact he dragged me around the jewellery shops then looking at engagement rings... should have clocked that he was bessotted alreadyimage 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I'm so sorry I just booked to go back to the same place in July image. May was supposed to be a staycation but we couldn't face the weather. We booked direct with the owners and got a great deal if we don't mind moving rooms half way through. 

• Angela it sounds like youve already done loads ready for your wedding. Im sure you will be fine. Apart from getting my dress the year before everything else for my wedding was done the 6 months before and I dont recall having many last minute things to do. I cant believe that your having your own website for it. image

54 miles on a bike...im sure I would end up with saddle sore and would at least deserve the corner of your cake...no one would notice!!!

I dont think I will be going for a PB in skye as it is such a tough course/hilly and we will have spent about 8-9 hours in the car the day before, but im going to give it my best. My plan is to start of slower than I did sheffield half and if I feel ok near the end then it will be a mad dash to the finish. There is a killer hill at around 9-11 miles and then its all down hill! It was my second ever half marathon. My first took me 1hr 39 mins (edinburgh) and skye took me 1 hr 46 but I had planned to take it easier because we were walking up ben nevis the following day.

Your run is def in the diary for next year. What time are you going for?

Malcs  hi, hows things? Whats happening with your house at the moment? We are signing the contract for the house were buying on friday and the person buying ours is signing it on friday. Initially last friday was suggested as a completion date but due to some outstanding documents it couldnt be done. Were now hoping for the 21st june. Still dont want to get too

• whats up with this website....just stopped typing, I decided to start again and the whole site closed on its own and I lost everything I had written image

• right where was i

....excited just incase something goes wrong at the last minute. Hows your training going Malcs?

Angela I think your OH has the short straw...your def the winner in the marriage with all those running holidays planned. 

I would haggle..especially as you will be on your honeymoon. They normally offer you good deals.

Im with you on Golf, its so boring image, even crazy golf is terrible. The last time I played the latter I threw my club as I couldnt get the ball through the windmill...I was about 10 years old at the time though in my defence.

Mr P thats just rubbing it in image. Glad that you managed to get a good offer though.

Went to the gym to do my weights and 4 miles today. My legs ached like mad though and just didnt want to work so I stopped at 3 miles and went home. I cant work out if its due to wearing flat shoes all day (although ive worn them before and not had a problems) or if I might be coming down with something (although I feel fine but have been in contact with a lot of nasty colds today).....just hope there back to normal by saturday!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - aha, so you'rre going to the same place we went to then. We were there over 15 years ago. At the time it was amazing and I'm sure it will have got even better since then. 

At that time all-inclusive wasn't as widely available. It was only a few companies that did it. As a result I will confess to going a bit crazy on the food and drink. I remember lying on a lounger munching burgers in the midday sun just before going diving. Big mistake. That evening I was quite ill. Thought I had the bends (much to Mrs Malcs amusement). Turned out to be dehydration and a bit of sunburnimage

Had to spend the next day in bed but all was not lost. Got to see England vs Poland on the telly. Lying in bed watching footy on your honeymoon - not quite what Mrs Malcs had imagined. Certainly wasn't in any of the Sandals brochures!

I'm sure you'll have a great time even with the golf image

Mr Pimage

Sarah - that's great news on the house front. Exciting stuff! I genuinely thought we'd have moved in somewhere by now. Shows how naive I was about that one! Not all doom and glom though. We have just accepted an offer so we are back in the game again. Problem is there is nothing at all coming up. I believe they call it Sod's Law image

Training is starting this week. I had planned to start last week but Scotland got in the way. I did a 7.5 miler with 3 miles of pace in it and then a slooow 11 miles but that was it.

Need to get going because I want to do 8 laps at TR24 and at the moment I am in no condition to do that.

Where was the aching in your legs - all over or just one muscle group? I wouldn't have thought flat shoes would affect the whole legs - maybe the achilles, calf and arches. It may be just things catching up with you as you've done alot of speed recently. Couple of days rest and you'll be fully recharged.

I say all this but of course I have no idea. I'm as paranoid about these things as the next person. Don't take this the wrong way but it's kind of reassuring that someone with medical training is just as confused by these rogue pains as a layman like me image

• Mr P, how cheeky... rubbing it in like that!  I wish I could squeeze in another holiday, but aside from the cost, I just don't get enough annual leave- when I moved to this company I lost 5 days, and it really makes a difference.  Looking forward to the Lakes though- haven't had time yet to look at the Guide book and decide what to do other than the race.

Sarah for this race I'm just going to take it easy - its more about the views and experience- I suspect it will be hillier even than Orion 15.  I guess it wont be as muddy though.  I see this as a first longish run for my next marathon campaign - 4 weeks after the last marathon and 17 weeks until the next. I do think the time on the bike is really beneficial actually.  Since that marathon I've done 2 long rides of 3.5 and 4.5 hours - surely that can only help my endurance for the marathon.  Had a sports massage last night, and he had to work oon my forearms- finger muscles, mainly where I had been gripping the handlebars/brakes for dear life on the scary downhills.  My max speed was 25mph.  If I had no fear and actually pedalled downhill I reckon I could take that to 35mph... eeek!  As for your aches - have u checked your resting HR? That usually tells me when its time to take it easy.

Malcs I had no idea La Toc was so old! I was under the impression that it was new, but I guess the 'Grande St Lucian' is the new one.  There are 3 Sandals there now.  I've never done all inclusive before.  Used to do Halfboard when on family holidays with my parents, but now I usually get flights and hotels separate and eat out or pick up grub from supermarkets.  I always think of that Michael McIntyre bit where he talks about holidays and how despite spending all your life eating lunch, you think u don't need lunch on holiday, but instead survive on stealing rolls from the breakfast buffet image