Options

RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options

Evening all...survived the hen weekend in Edinburgh....just!

Malcs im so looking forward to TR, cant believe that its in two weekends time, its coming round so quickly. How far did you run this weekend? Despite moving in 4 weeks ago I still haven't spent a weekend yet in my new home...first one will be next weekend, however I do feel like im settling in. I went for a run around the area today, managed to find a 9.3 mile loop....was nice but the only problem was alot of it was on country lanes with no pavements almost like I was in the middle of no where...not sure how safe it will be running it alone.

Edinburgh was a little messy. Made the mistake of opening fizz on the train at 11:30 on the friday....smanaged we all managed to last until midnight, just after the but,ers in the buff left. image I was alittle more sensible last night and didnt drink too much so that I could rwe then I got back today. I managed 8.10 m/m pace for the 9.3 miles but didnt feel as good as I normally do.

Hi Puffy im so tempted to come for a run over your way, it sounds like you have some fantastic routes. When is it that you go to Kefalonia? Ive never had that problem with my cap but i dont generally sweat that much....my nose just runs and sweats (im sure) instead as it never stops!

• Options

A huge congratulations Angela  you must be over the moon, to beat your PB by over 3 mins is amazing in the heat today...that's it im wearing my compression socks and having chai seeds for my next race....no matter what the temp is! I can't believe how many people you passed therre were loads! imageimageimage

Men are terrible for stopping you from going past. Worse was in the thirsk 10 I did last year, he let my male friend past who I was running with but kept blocking me and then racing me...it was a nightmare. The men in the local 10k races have been really nice though and let me happily pass them on Tuesday. 

Whats your next race?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - top result! Nice consistent pace there.

You don't need a medal, you got the main prize image  And all this on one of the hottest days of the year. You must be very pleased.

Mr P - nice 14! I'm struggling to make 8:40 pace on relatively flat ground. I've never run with headgear. I don't really like having anything on my bonce. That said it might be preferable to sun cream. Tried that last week and it was awful.

Have to confess I had to look up what a 'buff' was image

Sarah - good to hear you survived Edinburgh. Wow, 8:10 pace for that distance after a drinking weekend is extremely good. 

I did 16 on Sunday early doors when it was merely very hot. Took it slowly (9mm pace). Had to stop to stretch the calf and achilles quite regularly but it seemed to hold fine. 

With the weather we're having I hope we get the inevitable thunderstorms before TR24!

• Options

For some reason I keep on doing a silly keyboard shortcut that keeps shutting this down, so I am typing this for the 3rd time!!! image

Malcs, great 16 miler, and 14 for Mr P, and 9 for Sarah - I don't thinkI could manage much beyond 10 in this heat.  Not disciplined enough to wake up early enough that it isn't too hot - the joy of not having children!

However, I have devised a plan to keep me doing long runs, even though no marathon on the horizon.  I want to run the entire length of the essex way, though not all at once - there is a race that does cover the whole thing, so i am using the sections as planned long runs: http://www.essexway.org.uk/  RRR has already been convinced by the prospect of pub stops...

Sarah, I was wondering if I was paranoid about the men blocking my path, but now I hear you've experienced the same thing, I might get my pointy elbows out the next time it happens.  was so nice to be overtaking people even on that kind of distance.  Glad I was sensible and held back, though it did leave me thinking I could have gone faster, especially if I had been carrying water.

Planning on doing the Chelmsford Parkrun this Saturday.  My run britain handicap score has already gone from 19.3 to 16 this month - with another fast 5k, it could go down to 14.something, so I could win a prize!!  then of course TR24, and then that silly bike ride, that I'm regretting entering more and more each day...  How about you?  I guess there are lots of local race series around for club runners this time of year?

• Options

Im so jealous of your 16 Malcs.  9 min miles is spot on for our slow long runs....I wish I was disaplined enough to run more at that kind of pace. I always get carried away with myself and run out of time!

You have me worried about thunder storms now...that would be my worse nightmare as warming up afterwards would be so difficult...im guessing there wont be plug sockets for hair dryers and things....just incase!!

Angela it really does make a huge difference if you can pace yourself on your races...just like you did. Its all to easy to go all out at the beginning of a 10k and die later on, however if you can be disapliend like you were, I always find you do much better and you enjoy the whole experience. I love that feeling of over taking people, it just fuels you on to pass more image

Wow, your handicap is disapearing....I hope you get a prize, im keeping my fingers crossed for you. What prizes do they give out?

I have a half marathon this saturday but im going to run it at my hopefully marathon pace (been told its really hilly and tough, that together with the weather has put me off racing it). 

• Options

Hoping to extend it to 15 miles if I can. Spent 3.5 hours painting today and 5 hours cleaning so I didnt have chance to go running...im hoping it all counts as cross training!

Going to do a speed session tomorrow...first one in about 5 weeks, really looking forward to it.....but I have a feeling its not going to be as pleasant as usual with the heat in the gym (for £47 a month you would think they would have better air con!)

Been looking at the article you sent me....which session would you recommend for me to try? Quite like the sound of 8, do you think that is daft before Saturdays half?

• Options

Heya, I thinks they give an Adidas micoach, whatever that is to the most improved runner of the month - at the moment I'm #2, and then a set of headphones to anyone in. The top 10...  I think what this month has taught me is that I'm more suited to the shorter distances- not surprising being of west African descent....if only I was Kenyan! So my handicap is tumbling when I do short distances, but really hoping it'll translate to the half and full marathon.   On ur advise, trying to find a half marathon to do in autumn- currently trying to decide between Ipswich and Ealing, which are the last couple weekends of September.  Though I think November is a better time to race for an ideal time.

in terms of the 10k sessions, if u do them Tuesday or Wednesday, im sure u'll be fine for ur race at the weekend, as long as ur foot is all ok?  I did session 10 last Tuesday, and didn't exercise again until the race, but doIng short intervals at sub 7mm pace did make my 8mm pace seem relatively easy, so if u can stay disciplined in the race, that can only be a good thing...

i thiNk we'll do a section of Essex way on 11th rather than 10th August now... U free then?

• Options

But I think ur sensible to pace the race- in this heat, I think anything longer than an hour u have to be really careful about!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - discipline has nothing to do with it, I was going as fast as I could! image

It is nice to be doing longer stuff though. The LSR is by far my favourite session.

Plug sockets? Err....no. Well, I say that. Our friends are bringing their swanky new camper and I wouldn't be surprised if that has power. I haven't had the need of a hair dryer for a long, long time...

Sorry you didn't get out today. Have you not seen the (original) Karate Kid? Sarah-san , show me painta fence...show me wax on, wax off - of course it all counts as cross trainingimage

Angela - well done on getting into prize contention! 

Essex way looks great! Is that The Only Way In Essex?image (sorry, that was terrible, really terrible).

I should really get back to work... image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

That's a brilliant time Angela, I wouldnt like to race you at the moment, I would let you past though.

I work closely with a woman from a printers in Cumbria, she is from Kenya from Iten in fact and she loves running but she is quite slow, she was explaining to me that she wasn't a Kalenjin. very funny Malcs, better lay off the Essex jokes though till Angela's out of earshot. I like the Bleedin' Romford oneimage

wheres your half Sarah? I think 8 would be ok before Saturday. Still got all that Mara endurance in your legs.

were just pottering about ready to go to the airport but there is general strike today so I think we are going to be delayed image

• Options

Thanks Mr P- i look forward to your chivelry in case we race, and by some strange happenings in the universe I manage to overtake you!  What are your times for each of the  distances at the moment?

Marathon Coach Steve said I need to get the following times to be trying for a Boston Qualifier:

5k- 22

10k - 46

half - 1:38 (seems very similar to the 10k pace)

I'm currently at

5k- 23:08

10k - 49:42

Half - 1:56 (though that was my first race since I've been training properly...)

Enjoy your holiday!!

Sarah, I think I have to take what i said about the speedwork back.  I stole one of RRRs sessions for speeding up her 5k. its as follows:

5x 4 min @10k pace off 1 min recovery, followed by 5x 2min @5k pace off 1 min recovery.

I dutifully put it into my garmin last night, setting 10k btw 7:50 and 8:00, and 5k@ 7:10- 7:20...

Was running the session ok, though on the 3rd interval was starting to feel it, and really struggling to keep pace.  I even allowed myself 3 minutes rest before starting the 5k intervals... 90seconds into the first one, I gave up... walked home.... totally wiped out!!  tee hee!  I guess that proves 1 of 2 things:

1) you shouldn't do speed work 2 days after a 10k

2) I shouldn't do speed work on my estate where it is so easy to stop, and anywhere is less than 5 min walk home... image

And Malcs, yes, TOWIE!!!! though I don't watch it... based in south essex, closer to London... I live in the posh partimage 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - have a great holiday! I hope the travel disruption is kept to a minimum.

Angela - I reckon you'll see a big difference in your next half with those 5K and 10K times. 

Re. your speed session - we've all had days when it doesn't quite happen so I would just forget about it. It's very hard doing speed in this weather anyway (it is for me anyway).

Of course you live in the posh part - I wouldn't have expected anything else image

• Options

Think I might have to google that Angela, never heard of micoach before. I hope you win something...sounds like you will if your in 2nd place...not many people will be improving like you are in this weather!image Im a bridesmaid on the 10th of August in sheffield so I wouldnt be able to make the 10th/11th unfortuantley. Do keep me updated with dates though...fingers crossed I will be able to make one.

Malcs..youve got me wanting to watch karate kid now! I agree with you, speed sessions in todays heat is a killer....I didnt think I sweated when I ran until today!

Hi puffy,  did you make it to kefalonia ok? Hope you wasnt waiting to long to bored and youve started your holiday. My half is in Bishop Wilton, just north east of York (wolds half), supposed to have a festival/fair taking place to so im quite looking forward to it (but maybe not the 2-3 mile long incline that ive been warned about).

• Options

Angela, you still did fantastic with your speed session so dont worry. Like you said, your legs will be tired after getting your new PB on sunday (which is a tough speed session in my eyes) and todays heat.

I decided to make my own interval session up today using ideas from yours above and the ones from the magazine. I did this after my resistance training

I did a 2 mile warm up, increasing the speed from 8:57 to 6:40 m/m near the end 

I then did 3 x 4  mins at my best 10k pace (6:40m/m) with 90 secs rrecovery followed by 3 x 4 min just slower than 5 k pace (6:27 min/mls) with 90 secs recovery.

Cool down 1.5 miles at 8:20 -8:57 min/miles

total 8 miles average pace 7:52 m/m

I really didnt think I sweated when I ran (just sometimes get a small amount of salt on my head) however today proved me wrong...boy it was hot...but satisfying! 

• Options

Hi hi, seeems a non runner decided to do a couple of races this month, so far improving his handicap by 7 points and putting him well and truly in first place grr!!

sports massage tonight, so no running, but In other news, getting closer to that 6 pack, and I'm not referIng to the beer i'm sipping on the train home... Am just over 60kg now- was 63-v high for me- when I picked my wedding dress though... D'oh!!  Was aiming to get to 58, though I think I need to spend an hour a day on abdominal work for them to show... I don't know how Jessica Ennis does it!?!

• Options

I guess from the description of sweaT that u did ur speed work outside Sarah? It's getting to the stage it might be worth training in the dark! Would certainly be good prep for TR!!  I'm excited to meet y'all now image. And FYI carrot cake came out of the freezer yesterday to be iced today image

• Options

Can you find out where they live and sabertarge any future runs they will be doing this month and then get a PB this sat and win?

im envious of you, I ve been working ona 6 pack for over a year and im still no where near,  my BMI is 19.5 and %fat was less than 20% last time I did it and still no 6 pack, dont think I will ever manage it....I must be an apple!

I really cant wait to get my hands...or rather my taste buds on your carrot cake image

No running for me today worked 8:30-20:30 image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I got out for a nice 9 miler today in the middle of the day. I we're talking sweat then I think I'd beat all of you. It was pouring off me. 

Don't know how you all manage to be so quick in this heat. 8:40 pace was the best I could manage today. Still getting some pain around the achilles. Definitely have tight calves. I reckon me peroneals are like guitar strings.

Been using a rolling pin instead of a foam roller - hardcore!

Carrot cake will do the six pack plans no good at all Angela. I'm willing to help rid you of the temptation and keep your quest on track though. What more can I do?image

• Options

Hihi, Unfortunately, I don't think I have a chance of beating him... TR means I cant enter a race the last weekend in July, and I think I'd need to do 2 more at current form to get past him, so I will have to settle for 2nd, or worse!  It can all change - at 3rd at the moment...

6-pack - getting closer doesn't mean I'm there!!! flatter stomahc, but still not definition image

And well, the carrot cake, it came out of the oven rather domed, - too much baking powder according to my mum, so will have to adjust the recipe for the real thing.  But it did mean I had to level it off before putting the marzipan on, so, there was a bit for me to try.  Tooting my own horn now, it was deliciously moist... perfect texture.  But I found the nutmeg a bit overpowering... perhaps that will die down in the next week, but if not, it might be worth having it with some double cream to take away that spicey edge...  Looking at all the cakes, I'm not quite sure how we'll get rid of the rest...there are currently 3 cakes sitting in my living room, covered in marzipan, and waiting for their fondant icing coating tomorrow... then I will be making an earl grey sponge to go on top... I've been busying myself with the sugar roses, and sugar teacup and saucer as well - hoping I wouldn't have to make those parts again... but like bone china, sugar art can break... so I'll have to be really careful with them image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cake and decorations sound fantastic Angela!

Can you not find a Parkrun near the TR? It doesn't start until 12:00 on the Saturday so you have time to do the Parkrun and be back in time for registration image

• Options

Hmm that is a cunning plan... Now the seed has been planted, not much chance I wouldn't do that!!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/conkers/

8 miles away - 20 mins in the car image

TR24 registration closes at 11am - should give you plenty of time. 

• Options

But who will drive me there?? I'm coming by train- surely I can register for tr on Friday night??

• Options

Haha Malcs, thats so nice of you offering to help with the six packs!! Sorry to hear about your calf...hope its nothing serious and it improves with a bit if rest, the rolling pin and some physio on Monday. I thought we were mad enough running for 24 hours (even in a relay), you would have to be hard core to do a park run first!

Angela on a positive if you come 2nd/3rd this time...you can still aspire and work towards becoming first next time! It will be more difficult for that guy to beat you again aswell! Wow, you've been so busy with your cakes....you will have to take a picture of all the bits youve made and upload them so we can have a nosy....unless the cake is a surprise for your wedding of course! I bet the cake is delicious....I like nutmeg so it will be perfect image

half marathon in the morning.....thinking even marathon pace in this heat is going to be tough! The speed the other day wasnt easy!

• Options

Good luck at the park run tomorrow

If im driving down...I could superwoman!!!

• Options

i was gonna come on here earlier to get my excuses in early in case the parkrun didn't  go to plan- too much wine, it's too hot etc, only it wasn't hot- luckily I didn't need to.. Another pb 22:32 image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Aargh beat me by 30 seconds!!!!

we got her eok Internet very patchy though. Have run once six miles it was 39 degrees so up early tomorrow to drive to flat area for long run

• Options

Only 29... The time was actually 22:33 image

• Options

A huge congratulations Angela...I don't think it will be long before your beating my PB at this rate! How does that put you in the other rankings for best improved? 

thats dedication puffy running6 miles in 39 degrees heat and then getting up early to run today. How far did you manage this morning? What was the temp? Hope it went ok and you took plenty of water with you.

my race went better than expected yesterday. It was still warm but due to it being overcast it wasnt unbearable like it had been in the week. It was quite favourable for running if im completely honest. My plan was to run it at MP (7:20) as it was still warm and it was a hilly, tough course. The lady who wins our local 10ks in 38 mins has only got 89 mins on it twice in previous years

• Options
    Right...Race report....the wolds half marathon..Bishop Wilton;   The first half mile was down hill, then the next three miles undulating, this bit was quite pleasant and I managed to maintain an average pace of 7:20...perfect!  3.5-6.5 miles was uphill....this bit was tough. They described it as a moderate gradient on their race info pack...and it just went on forever, my pace slowed down to 7:44 m/m. The next half a mile was flat and on the road but this was then followed by a steep descent off road on a very uneven rocky path. I almost went over three times and just before I was about to slow down and become sensible (as I didnt want to risk injury) the path turned to uneven grass through a field around the bottom of a hill (Full of cow pats). By the end of this stage my pace was back to 7:35m/m and I decided that i would be happy with an average pace of 7:30 rather than 7:20 due to the terrain.   After finishing that section, it was then back on the roads. This was again undulating but it allowed me to pick up my pace alittle and pass a lady in front. There was a bike race on at the same time, but going in the opposite direction to us. At this point we seemed to be getting in each others way and no one seemed to know what side of the road we should both be on. Im surprised an accident didnt occur to be honest. I was running in the middle of the road at one section as the cyclist were to my right but one nearly wiped me out as he slowly drifted in to my path. The course was undulating until mile 11 and my pace improved to 7:33 m/m. At 11.5 miles another big hill came up...again this was described as a moderate gradient and lasted until mile 12-12.5. This was a killer...my legs felt alittle like jelly with the previous hills and off road section....however i was still over taking people (men) so i must have been doing ok.   The last 0.6 miles was down a deep descent again, this was so steep and fast I found it difficult to stop and again was scared about falling over or damaging my knees. This bit brought my ave pace up to 7.27m/m.     If it wasnt for the hills and off road bit I think 7:20 pace was very comfortable for me and I hope I could maintain this for the FLAT road marathon! I was able to hold conversations with those around me and take in the sites (on the undulating parts) and I didnt feel like I was racing.   I was third lady (which I didnt expect as I didnt go out to race) but actually got second place prize as the winner had entered on the day! I won an iron (which I was actually very pleased with as I was about to buy one. Pricing it up it costs between £65-£75 depending on which store you go to!   After the half I managed to do a 2 mile cool down (10m/m) so im now up to 15 miles for my long run.