Options

RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Kalimera image  Excellent run Sarah, I need a new iron too!

well I tried to prepare all day yesterday, tuna salad for lunch, and we went to an Italian for dinner sand I had a nice tagliatelle bolognese   No alcohol and an early night. I couldn't sleep though so we read till the early hours. I got out at eight and rather than drive I ran down to the village and did several laps each a third of a mile. There was a little bit if shade and a slight breeze, it was very nice seeing all the guys setting up for the day, they work so hard, they won't go home till after midnight. I kept going for eight miles then started the climb back to the hotloop carried in then looped around through the old village full of fruit frees and little small holdings o make up ten. It was hot again but I had quick shower by the pool and swam le couple of lengths. We'd missed breakfast by now so we wandered out to the nearest taverna for  a couple of fried eggs and coffee. There were several swallows nests in the eaves with little chicks in and the parents were flying in and out feeding them. So now I'm just waiting for the tour to start. Pace was around 9mm so will have to do bit of work when we get back To get back to pace. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - freakin' Nora, you are flytag at the moment, well done! 

Not sure you can register at TR until the Saturday. Would that scupper your parkrun plans?

Mr P - respect on running in those temperatures! 9mm in that heat is very good I'd say. Hope the holiday is going well.

Sarah - only you could get a podium finish treating a race as a training run image. Great result. Weird prize but it sounces like it was ideal for you. I'd be very interested to know what the other prizes were?

Can't believe how quick you are running right now. I'm miles off that kind of pace. That's not to say that I expect to be close to you (you're alot quicker than me) but at the moment I'm not even in the same ball park. 

I did two 6 milers at 8:50 pace today - one morning, one evening. Was partly trying to mimic next weekend and partly trying to protect this calf/ankle issue. Was quite sore in parts. Had to stop and stretch 3x on each run which helped a bit but I am concerned about whether 8 laps next week is anywhere near possible. Got a physio appointment tomorrow so I'm hoping she can work a miracle!

In other news we have had our mortgage approved! Next stage surveys. Spent the weekend clearing the loft out which was great fun in the July heat image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela, I got it wrong, you can register on the Friday.

• Options

Ello ello,

Yes, still very happy with that parkrun, especially as it really isn't far off what Marathon Coach Steve said my 5k time should be to go for a Boston Qualifier.  I think given this has come whilst not marathon training, I wonder whether I should get all the other distances down to their respective times before attempting another marathon (of course this is if I don't get a ballot place in London)  I'll be entering the Ipswich half marathon, but after that, there seems to be a distinct lack of local races, which seems strange.  Probably because there were about 5 on the same day as Halstead Marathon back in May!

Well done on your prize Sarah!  That's amazing that you actually got something you needed... and did a half marathon the same pace I did my parkrun image

Malcs, that's great news on the mortgage approval!  David and I went looking at some of the new homes a few weekends ago - unfortunately, if I want to keep my flat to rent out, which I do, we wouldn't qualify for the government 'newbuy' scheme.. annoying as I bought my flat on a similar basis, but it wasn't government backed- if that was still running, I probably could go for a house with just a 5% deposit.  We better hope our wedding guests are very generous so we can get upto a 10% deposit when we look to move- some of these new places are sooo amazing, and crazy big when you compare with an equivalent priced property in London... however, I wouldn't wanna live in London, so doesn't really matter I suppose.

As for runbritain rankings, my handicap is now 14.7, - I've improved by 4.6 handicap points this month, but it seems everyone did an amazing parkrun this weekend, and I have now slipped to position 7 - so I'm still in the top 10, but there's no way I'm getting 1st place... which is fine, I don't need a miCoach, I have a garmin... so it'll just be headphones... I already have quite a few sets, but if these are running specific ones, I guess that would be quite good... so no, I don't think I'll do another parkrun before TR24...

• Options

well done Mr P for getting out and running that far whilst on holiday and in that heat, even getting up at that time, it must have still been roasting. The most I ever managed to do whilst being on holiday abroad was 5 miles. It is a fantastic way of seeing your resort though, like you've described above. It's quite magical running around the beautiful scenery when most people except the locals) are still in bed. Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. How much longer are you there for?

hi malcs, I feel like I've lost so much of my speed after having that tittle mishap so I was so surprised when I won a prize on Sunday...obviously all those hills put off the good runners! Your pace is still great especially with your current injury/problem. I had meant to do two runs in one day ready for next weekend but didn't manage it! Hope it's not as difficult as I feel it's going to be! Have my head torch now! What did the physio think? Has it resulted in any improvement? 

Haha, the other prizes...I really did think I got the best prize. There was a deep fat fryer (not sure what runner would want that) a rice maker/cooker, some pans and a shovel and rake set amongst a few other bits and bobs I can no longer remember!!

congrats on sorting out your mortgage, bet your relieved. The cleaning and packing

• Options

Seeme to go on for ever, but it was worth it in the end! When are you heading down to TR?

had better get on an go to work but I will be back later (sorry Angela for not replying to your part)

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Angela I would just keep doing what you're doing and dial the long runs back in gradually, I think you'll find that when you do them your easy pace will be faster than it was before.

i did hear all Essex parkrun results have been out by about 31 seconds for the last two weeks though, shocking scandal.

Sarah we are here til Saturday.  We came over to another hotel today for a massage so I used their treadmill for half an hour at 8mm.  I'll try to get another run in tomorrow then somehow I will have to do fifteen on Sunday when we get back.

i hope you all have a great time over the weekend, look forward to reading all about it.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - that's a bummer about the newbuy scheme, I know you were hoping to take advantage of that again. I'm sure you're right about the value you get outside of London. Prices are just mental. It's bad enough here and we're on the outskirts!

I think you're probably right to give the Parkrun a miss on Saturday. Keep your focus on TR24 which I hope you will really enjoy.

I would go for another marathon Angela. Better to chip away at your marathon time in my opinion and you will be faster next time for sure.

Sarah - it's all relative. If you think you lost alot of speed then assuming that's true then it's only because you were lightening fast before image  

I don't think you'll have any problems at all at the weekend so I wouldn't worry about not having done any specific training for it. I kind of wish I hadn't now because I know what I have to 'look forward to'. 

This ankle pain is doing my head in. Felt it was healing nicely but just walking round Sainsburys today set the damn thing off. Weird.

No idea if the physio has helped or not. I can't believe it does any harm though so that's one thing less to worry about getting right. She said it's overuse. However, she didn't say stop running, in fact she said keep going to ensure things stay loose. 

What a bizarre array of prizes for a foot race! I reckon you're right, you did get the best of the bunch.

We're heading to TR24 on Friday, aiming to arrive around 3pm when the campsite opens so we can help Tigger bagsy some space. How about you?

Mr P - good to hear you're managing to get some running in while away. I'm sure you'll be fine for 15 on your return. 

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I just hope the weather holds. I can't imagine running through the night in a thunder storm! image

• Options

Hello Mr P, it's amazing that the Parkrun error would put me at the same time as u... Rather suspicious I think!  As for easy pace being faster, I'm not so sure- went out for a tempo run tonight, but the first 2 miles easy... I guess I was at about 9:30mm which is faster, but my breathing was all over the place- I guess I haven't done much long easy stuff for a while, but I when I got to doing mile 3 at tempo pace, which is my desired half marathon pace 8:20mm... Well, it got harder... I think this was all down to the heat though... I had a rather impressive drip on when I got back to the flat- it was like I'd run through a fountain!  

If its still as hot this weekend I think that perhaps Malcs and Sarah may stop talking to me image

my arrival depends on if I can leave work early- as it's schooL holiday, everything gets a bit slow with all the people with kids taking time off, so Im sure I can get out around lunchtime and arrive in tamworth around 4... Never been to euston station, so a littl intrigued for the journey- virgin trains runs on that line but s about 3x the price of the regular train- would be exciting though!

Malcs, are u familiar with KT tape?  It's been a lifesaver for me, allowing me to continue to train and race thru injury.  I can bring some with me- if we can get YouTube about ur injury we can tape it up for you- hopefully allow u to do many more than 2 laps at TR image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi guys!  Just popping in to say good luck with TR at the weekend. Hope you all run well and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun! image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - thanks so much! Very nice of you to think of us. How are things with you? Are you training for anything at the moment? Fully fit and injury free I hope?

Angela - I wouldn't worry, I'm in the same boat when it comes to moisture production. Actually my mate Nige (who is on our team at the weekend) is a world champion sweater - we'd both have to go some to beat him image

Thanks for the offer of KT tape. In all honesty I don't know what exactly my problem is. Physio said that the muscles in the calf and the tendons that run from them are all tired due to overuse. There's no specific injury as such, eveything is just tigtening in protest and then getting inflamed. 

Don't get me wrong though, I'm willing to give anything a try but I wouldn't want you wasting it on me.

How are you getting from Tamworth to Catton Park? Do you need one of us to come and get you or has that already been arranged? Did you have a look at Lichfield as an option? You can get a direct train and I think it'll be much quicker to reach from Catton Park by car.  

• Options

Morning

Is it just me, or is the forum playing up? Couldn't seem to get online at all last week via my iphone whilst up in Aberdeen. Maybe its a Scottish thing image

Looking forward to TR- will be down first thing saturday morning. did a wee 30 min easy run earlier- legs felt heavy though after hills and progression runs earlier in week so going to rest up now till Saturday.

Malcs- hows the ankle?

• Options

Hey hey, thanks Minni image

Malcs, I hadn't considered Lichfield- looks like that is one stop after Tamworth on the main line... Tigger had suggested Burton on Trent, but that would seem to involve waiting around for half an hour for a local train, and in which case, I may as well just get a taxi.  I've got the numbers of my team, so one of them is gonna fetch me when I come.

Looking forward to meeting all the TR24ers image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - the forums have been playing up lately. There's alot of people complaining on the bugs section. I think they rolled out some improvements and they didn't workvery well. 

Ankle is a bit of an unknown Clive. Had more physio this morning. We'll just have to see how it goes. Bit nervous as I had planned to attempt 8 laps. Right now that seems terribly over optimistic. You never know though - I'm trying to stay positive.

I think you're right to get a bit of rest in. Whilst it's just 6 mile laps they soon take their toll. I'm not running now until Saturday although with this ankle pain I'm paranoid about doing any harm.

Look forward to seeing you Saturday morning!

Angela - ok, cool, as long as you're sorted for a lift that's fine. I agree about Burton on Trent. Tamworth or Lichfield look like better options. I reckon Lichfield is just as close as BoT. That said, I'm not local and Tigger is.

• Options
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

been out by about 31 seconds for the last two weeks though, shocking scandal.

LOL...thats mean! image 

Hope you manage to get your 15 miler in....after all that travelling im sure you will be itching to put your running shoes on!

Malcs...thanks, although I need to get quicker!!!! We are aiming to get there for about 3:30 so not long after you...I cant wait now. Shall I bring my acupuncture needles see if they will help your ankle? Seems strange for them to say its due to over use and then say continue running!

Hi Angela when you put it like that (me running a half at your park run pace) I will stop complianing about loosing speed! If its hot still at the weekend...we will still talk to you dont worry...will just sleep at teh other end of the tent though image....just kidding!

Hi Minni Thankyou, its a shame you couldnt join us.

Clive I couldnt get 3G in scotland so didnt have internet access most of the time. See you on saturday

I did a 10 k race on tue...was a handicap race. Was quite nice doing it sort of backwards as it meant the female toilets were empty for me to use before my start. My handicap time was based on my best 10k time this season before I dropped that picture on my toe so I knew I wouldnt do great. I set of at 7mm pace and had planned to speed up at 5k, i managed to speed up to an averahe pace of 6:49 for the rest of the race but my legs just wouldnt go any quicker (think it was due to teh race on saturday), breathing etc was fine however.

I found out that I was third lady overall in the york and district road race league so I won a little plaque image

Did a 3 mile recovery run yesterday after my weights and im hoping for 5 miles tonight after my weights.

See you tomorrow/saturday

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - eeek, needles? I'll take the pain thanksimage

I believe the idea of keeping running was to ease the muscles back into use. By resting completely they are more likely to stay tight apparently.

Another interesting point the physio made was to pay attention to hydration in this weather. She said low fluid levels make the muscles more likely to tighten up.

We are going to try and get there a bit earlier now that we've found the camping opens at 12. That said, we're not the greatest at leaving the house on time so once we've faffed around for a bit we may end up being there at 3 after all image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I hate packing image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is going well at TR24...
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Looking forward to hearing how you all got on.

Malcs - I've had some lazy time since the  marathon.  The injury led to 7 weeks off running and although I'm back now (injury free) there have been lots of other things on that has meant training hasn't quite got back up to speed. 

I've decided not to do an Autumn marathon - my target was always going to be HM and with missing so many weeks I've moved everything back.

Great to see lots of you on here are still doing amazingly well!

• Options

TR24 was awesome!  FACT!  We're all entering as Solos next year....

NOT!!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - Great to hear that you're back to running now Minni. Thanks again for checking in - you have been such a help over the past 6 months.

Can't put it better than Angela - it was just brilliant. 

I have posted a (far too long) report on the 26.2 thread. 

Angela - I bet you a free flapjack that you do it solo one year image

I am a bit of an aching wreck today, how are you? 

Clive, Sarah, look forward to hearing from you.

• Options

Ok, I'm going to start writing my run report.... I tried this morning, but zombies erased it before I had a chance to post it image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I hate it when that happens Angela. I always do the long ones on an email first - at least that auto saves.

Look forward to reading it!

• Options

I was doing it on my blog, on the blogger app on the iPad, but was flicking between other apps and had forgotten to save it before doing that.  Now I'm typing it in the blogger on the pc, so wont have the same problem... image

• Options

Ok, my report is even longer than Malx, and I didn't want to take up the thread, but it does have some team photos on it.... the link is here:

http://longroadtoboston2016.blogspot.co.uk/

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Splendid report Angela. It was 24hrs so I think it had to be long to capture the enormity of the thing. I want to do it again next week too image

• Options

next week?  really?? why don't you join Claire and I on the 100 mile bike ride... *grumbles, why did i sign up to a cycling event when i'm a runner... cycling sucks!*

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

TR24 was awesome!  FACT!  We're all entering as Solos next year....

NOT!!

What.....I thought we were all doing it solo next year....im already signed up image

fantastic race report Malcs...cant wait to read yours now aswell Angela. Depsite not being at work today this is the first time ive sat down properly due to painting and cleaning the house...think I would have had a quieter day at work!

Was a fantastic weekend, and it was lovely to meet you (Malcs and family and friends, Angela, tigger, and the rest of the team. As already said by Malcs, it was like meeting up with long lost friends, due to the forum, it felt like I knew you all so well, even though I hadnt met some of you before in person. it only felt like last week that we was in Birmingham at boot camp, it didnt feel like over 6 months ago when I had last seen sarah.

i haven't done any running today, thought I would give myself a day off. Aiming for 6-7 miles tomorrow though. My legs have felt fine....think it was the massage and only doing 4 laps...unlike the 7 Malcs did and 9 RRR ran!

• Options

Hi Minni, lovely to see you back up and running. Did you do the coastal run?