RW Forum Six – Sub 4.30

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well done Emmy! image Now get that Flu beaten off.

• Waves back to FF!

Emmy- 13???!!  I shall live my spring marathon (s) through you this year as there is a distinct lack of one on my calendar this year.....

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Great news Emmy! I'll look forward to following your progress!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yay Emmy - congrats on being picked.

I'll follow this thread with great interest image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, thank you for all of the congrats here and on FB. It's been truly humbling to see myself amongst the others that have been picked and I hope to provide sufficient entertainment and info along the way. I've been back to the docs today and they've switched my medication to another form.... And I'll admit - today has not been a good day for me.

@RR - in comparison to you and RS - I don't think anyone could have looked as great as you two at the end of Amsterdam!

@Tenjiso - I'll write up the recipe tomorrow when I'm on a 'real' computer. It's really easy and if I'm with my niece and nephew - they love taking part and helping.

@VikW - Yep. That's the plan. I admit that I went a little stir crazy in planning this year but there's just so many that I want to do.

It started off with Malta and hearing how great the course was (it's all downhill), then Giantshead with GoldBeetle, Berlin with the Shades group, and others that friends have told me about as being good runs (Eco trail de Paris, Luxembourg etc.). In fact - One of the only reasons I'm running Paris this year is because of the thread from here! I never considered it before but with the group from here - it should be the highlight of my year.

@Clag/Orbutt- thank you! Lets see how we get on once FF has deliberated and come up with an idea for how to handle me!

@Flatfooted - I also wanted to say that if you wanted to move around A races (e.g. Focus on a different one than Paris) then I'm happy to do that too.

Now.... Can anyone confirm or deny reports that I've heard that there's red wine served en route in Paris? image
  • Emmy, I've just done my 14th of the year, and I know it's not the same for everyone but it's really slowed me down, in the summer I seemed to always be tapering or recovering (which I didn't do properly) but it might work for you, it does for others. If you decide to do the Eco Trail let me know and I'll try and lend some advice, they definitely do not serve wine, just the most disgusting flavour electrolyte I have ever tasted. Really interested in your friend trying out paleo, I've given it a whirl but am too chicken not to carb load and take gels in race. Have a great Christmas, don't get too drunk and enter any more races though.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Kate, I appreciate the advice from someone 'more experienced'. I found that during sept/October I seemed to be great form. I was racing every weekend (admittedly different distances - 25km, half mara, 10km, marathon) and found that towards the end I was speeding up. My last mara of the 'session' was Amsterdam where I PB'ed by 20 minutes after running a PB half marathon the week before in Cologne. My legs seem to work 'better' when they're tired or being worked regularly... But there's a fine line i think between worked regularly and working too much

I know that the marathon is a distance to be respected and thats one thing that i'm hoping to learn from here. I'm hoping that as they're "grouped" together - I'll be in a better position to recover and train.... But I've got no clue. I've never done this sort of mileage before so I'm happy that Flatfooted is helping me out.
  • Emmy do you record your run data anywhere, Garmin connect, Fetch etc?? just looking for an idea of training times over race times per mile.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Flatfooted- i've tried to use Strava but it's not connecting very well with my garmintrainer data and it keeps refusing the data. I'll see if i can upload it again and send you the link. I was keeping to Shades advice for training times:

Recovery: MP less 90secs/2 mins
    Long: MP less 30-90 secs
    Easy: MP less 30-60 secs
    Tempo: 1m easy, Xm@10km/Half mara pace, 1m easy
    Fartlek: 1m easy, Xm fartlek, 1m easy

MP was 10.45mm for Amsterdam.

If you want - I can send you what was my proposed plan for 2013 and you can let me know what you think?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Tenijso - Here's the recipe I mentioned

Low GI flapjacks- makes about 24

Ingredients:

• 200 g raisins and dates – finely chopped
    • 150 ml water
    • 250 g jumbo porridge oats
    • 120 g coconut butter – melted
    • 50 g desiccated coconut
    • 3 tablespoons agave syrup
    • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    • you will need a tin approx 27 cm x 18 cm – buttered or with baking parchment

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4
    2. Put the raisins and dates into a small saucepan with the water
    3. Heat gently for about 10 minutes – cool
    4. Add the fruit mix to the rest of the ingredients and stir well
    5. Tip mixture into the tin – press down firmly and smooth the top
    6. Bake for about 25 – 35 minutes until golden brow
    7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before marking into slices and then leave to completely cool. This will help them 'fix' together.
    I sometimes don't use dates or raisins and prefer mixed fruit. It's just using the same amount. I'd also suggest if you wanted to use chocolate - make sure it's dark (min.70% cocoa) and melt it before adding it with the other ingredients.   I'll wrap the cold flapjacks in brown paper or clingfilm and put them in my camelback to eat on the go.   This is another recipe that I've used but it's not as low GI as the one above.

Ingredients

• 4 ozs butter or marg or a mixture of both
    • 1 tablespoon sugar - preferably brown
    • 4 tablespoons syrup or honey
    • 8 ozs muesli or a mixture of rolled oats and dried fruit

Method

1. melt the butter, sugar, and syrup in a bowl in the microwave or in a pan on the stove

2. add the muesli/other in

3. spread into an 8 by 12 inch baking tin

4. bake at 180 degrees for 25 minutes

5. cut into bars while still warm and cool in the tin

6. ps you can make up the 8 ounces with dessicated cocnut, chopped dates etc that you want to use up - or add ingredients that you like - cocoa, cinnamon, chopped preserved ginger etc. And you can add a layer of icing or melted chocolate.
  • Printed!  Thanks Emmy.

Looks like something I could have a go at making with the kids, when I'm feeling brave.  Then in future I could simply give my daughter the ingredients and wait for my treats.  She's nearly five now, so it's time she started looking after me. image

Have a great Christmas!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    You're right about it being child friendly! My niece and nephew love making it... Although once they tried the coconut butter version they were converted!

Happy Christmas to everyone! As I'm still suffering with the flu - Christmas is postponed for the moment. I'd normally use this as an excuse to go running but I think that's out of the plan.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all, this is a shout out to any person more technically minded than myself image

I've tried uploading all of the data from my Garmin training centre to Strava so that FF can see it... it works for some but not for others. I get the error message: file empty. But when I look in the garmin training centre - all of the data is there and I can see it 'as it should'.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• Emmy - I sometimes have this issue and find it is generally down to my Internet connection being rubbish. I just keep trying it and eventually it transfers. How about transferring it from Garmin training centre back to your watch then from your Ant+ stick to strava ? A bit of a pain but might work ? I've also heard that people can view your stats directly on Garmin connect, do you know if this is the case ? I'm going to have a look now myself
  • Emmy - I am on Garmin Connect as apposed to Garmin Training Centre. On Connect you can add people to a list so they can view your training runs; go into My Profile Privacy to change your settings to whoever you want to view your stuff

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Carterusm - thanks for this tip. I've restarted the export twice thinking that it was a problem in the export but its always on the same files. I'll give it a go to transfer back from the garmin TC watch and see if that works. I use the wired Internet connection instead of wireless as I thought that it could be the cause on the first attempt.

You can use garmin connect to share data and store everything online. I'm unfortunately not using the garmin connect just the training centre that came with the original CD. When I tried to export the data and use garmin connect to store my data - my antivirus on both PCs went crazy and it kept blocking it saying "malware identified". So I gave up and went to Strava and never had an issue uploading 'new' content.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I went out for my first run since the flu. It was 3 miles and just a very gentle run but it felt great to be out there and I don't feel any worse for it. Definitely a bonus!

• Nice work Emmy. It obviously wasn't man flu then image
  • glad to see that you managed to get out there.........take it easy image

• Emmy - I have logged on to Garmin connect this morning to see the following message displayed - "We have resolved the issues that some of you were experiencing when trying to upload data via the ANT Stick". Maybe that was the cause of your problem.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Carter - Thanks for that. I'll try and give it a go when I can next get on the 'main' computer. Currently Mr.Emmy is occuping it!

I'm unfortunately too stubborn to have man fluimage

@FF - I'm planning to do a test run tomorrow of 10-12 miles at 11.30 pace to see how I get on and gauge how back to fitness I am before the Enigma Double next weekend. What do you think?

• Emmy, saw this and thought of you image

/members/images/727962/Gallery/chuck.jpg

• Well now that that is out of the way......

How did the run go Em? Any issues?

How are you planning to attack the double next week?  What i would like is two steady times rather then one a lot faster then the other, With this many maras planned for the year we need to injury proof you, I would like to acheive this with back to back runs and double run days.

So rather then one LSR at a weekend (say an 18 miler), would look for two LSR's of 15 miles on consecurtive days.

This will take more time but running on tired legs will prepare them for the year.

Thoughts Team?

• Out of interest do you have a Parkrun near you?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi FF, I managed 12 miles yesterday. It felt 'ok' and I stretched and rested a bit in the afternoon. I'll upload data to Strava to get precise breakdowns but I tried to keep it easy at 11min miling to not wear myself out. I didn't take on any gels/fuel and still felt ok which is a real bonus.

I managed 5.5 miles this morning as my recovery run.... Which turned a little into a tempo run as I managed 10-10.30 min miling for it. I feel strong and back to normal (if I can ever say that!)

At the moment I'm still planning on the double next weekend. I wanted to see how I felt this weekend and I feel a lot better. I'm going to make sure my diet is top notch this week (no crap, low GI etc)

I like the idea of back to backs. Should I be concerned that I'm not getting a singular LSR of more than say 15 miles? Or will my marathon mileage be enough?

In autumn this year I 'played' around with back to backs and did the following:

1 week (normally stretch week)

Sat: 18 miles

Sun: 10 miles

2 week (normally weekend after a marathon)

Sat: 15 miles

Sun: 8 miles

Would you keep them the same? Or play around?
  • Like it, how about switching the two around from time to time so every other weekend your longer run is on the sunday.

Sat 10 mile

3 x miles at 11mm
    4 x miles at target race pace + 15 seconds
    3 x miles at 11mm

Sunday 18 miler

10.45 mm.

it takes a bit of discipline, we can then reverse this and add a longer RP+ part in the sat run say 3*11mm, 9*RP+15, 3*11mm.

• Glad to see the weekend runs went well.......image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ok. I like the sound of that. I'm going to see if I can program my garmin virtual partner to do those mile paces.

What would you say is my target race pace (minute miling) for 4.30?

Thanks Seren! I was a little concerned that I wouldn't feel right but it was ok. It was my first real day back at work and it was surprisingly tiring!

@FF - I'm not sure if you'll see this before the morning. I was planning on 5 miles tomorrow. Do you have a preference for the session or can I just run it easy/tempo etc?

Also....I may have entered a few more races *blush smiley*..... I blame my friend entirelyimage it's not a marathon though....

3rd March: 10 miles race (Brugge-Oostende 10 mile race)

30th March: cretes de spa half marathon.
  • If your feeling good, go with the tempo, would love to see a quick 3rd mile, post you splits on here after the run.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me, FF. Okidoke, I'll see what I can do and post it on here afterwards.

Before I have a glass of bubbly - I wanted to wish everyone all the best for 2013 and lots of sporty greetings!