Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

Comments

• Hello lovely runners!

I did day one of week 3 yesterday. I had 4 days off between runs, for no reason other than it was impossible to get out sooner. I was working away one night and then OH was away. It's tough with a little man. But, it can be done and I don't think that 4 days off did me any harm. In fact, I managed to do all the running and didn't feel like I needed to stop.

The 3minute run was a shock to the system though. I think all the C25ks are pretty much the same. i use the freebie on the iPhone too, I also use Endomondo in the background which records my route and distance so I can see I'm improving. The app is good a it allows me to use my own music and I have downloaded 101 running tunes which gets me going.

Weather looks like it might turn nasty tomorrow morning which is a pain, so it may scupper my Friday and Sunday run as planned.

Everyone stay safe out there!
  • Hiya - so I finished C25K Week 2 today... got back just before the snow really kicked in! Feel great and really looking forward to stepping up to Week 3 on Sunday - weather permitting.

Bella - I downloaded Endomondo to record my run today - turned out I covered 3.8K in my half-hour run/walk! Amazing!

Does anyone have any advice about running in thick snow? Is it a bad idea in terms of excessive strain on joints/muscles etc? Or is the only danger one of slippage?

• I'm a bit gutted not to have been running today. The pavements are just awful here: thin layer of snow, turned to ice. I don't want to break any bones so skipped today.

• Hi Dom - Ill try to PM you (is that even possible here?) with my Endomondo details and we can 'friend' (if you like?)  Its a bit like Facebook for exercise (so no updates about what Im having for dinner, but it does tell you that Ive just been running!)

It is so motivating though isnt it!  I just got back from run 2 of week 3 and its told me I have a PB of 1km in 5m46s  Im buzzing!

I also have a 'fitbit' pedometer thing, which I love and which helps motivate me to move more on a day to day basis.  So Im always making myself walk up and down the stairs at work instead of taking the lift.  It was expensive, but I wear it pretty much every day and although I dont think Ive got fitter as a result, I do find Im less lazy when i know its tucked into my bra!  Fitbit can connect to Endomondo too, so it shows that Ive been walking as well as running.  If you really wanted, you could connect the lot up to My Fitness Pal which will monitor your food intake too!  

The interesting thing is, Endomondo tells me Im covering less distance in week 3 than I was in week 2, which is odd, but I think its because you run slightly slower for 3 mins than you do if you run for 90s.  Im not too bothered by distance - the whole beauty of the C25K is that its about time on your feet rather than distance covered. Distance comes later - but it is interesting to see.  Im sure that in a week or so I will start to get further each time.  I seem to remember this happening last time.

I woke up early and found no snow, so I braved it. There was an icy cold hard wind blowing off the sea and the pavement in parts was icy, but on the whole I could see it and managed to stick to the gravelly tarmac which has more grip. Had to divert my step a couple of times and did slip twice, however I did the whole thing and Im pleased I got out there.

No advice re snow and ice. I suspect that its just a slippage danger.  I have 'run' in snow and its just hard work, wet and cold.  I dont mind, but you probably need to stick to grass in case you fall and be aware of where you are stepping.  I spoke to someone in Millets last week who recommended using the ice/snow grip things you can buy to slip over your shoes - she said her dad uses them for running all the time when the weather is like this.

Lets hope the weather picks up soon as we can all get back to normal!

Katy - a day or two off wont hurt, just get back out there when its safe. I had 4 days off this week and then 3 days off with no ill effects - actually, I think the break did me good and I feel like my muscles have repaired and are ready for action!

• Hi all, 

Finally back out for second run of week four. It was good out there and managed to avoid running on too much snow (I'm a bit unsteady on my feet so really trying to avoid landing on my bum) but that did mean running round the dull streets rather than the river. 

I think I might be getting a little bit addicted as decided not to go out last night (long week and got back late) and then I was in a grumpy mood most of the eve. I might be getting to need my runs! Which is brilliant news ...

I picked up the endomondo thing too as I wanted to see how far I had gone. I would like to be somewhere near 5k at the end of week 9! 3.74k in 34 mins. Very chuffed as I was going pretty slow to avoid going over. The app also claims my max speed was 3.55m per km! I got very excited and then realised it was probably when I was running in front of a car. Or a mistake.

Now I'm weighing up whether to go out again tomorrow as it's onyl my second run this week ... knowing I should take a day off vs the psychological win of keeping the weeks on track ... hmm.

• Maisie - well done. Im loving endomondo.  And dont disrespect your PB!  

I am no expert, but I really do believe that your rest days are as important as your running days.  I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I think its almost like your body consolidates your training efforts and builds the next bit that you need to improve next time.  Its not a very scientific explaination but it makes sense to me.  Even 4 days off this week didnt give me any issues - in fact Im certain it helped me improve.

I think I may have screwed up my weeks a bit (I was trying to stay in the right week for the year IYSWIM) by having a slighty longer week than expected, but the end result will be the same.

• Just got back from Week 3, Day 1 run - coped with the step up to 3 mins continuous running at a time ok - but it's tough going running through the snow!
  • Completed week 2 session 1 of the zombie 0-5K this morning. I repeated week 1 to give my feet and lungs a chance to catch on to what was happening, and then I was hit with a couple of days of sleet and rain... Nothing like Britain, but enough of an excuse to stop me running. I don't drive, though, and I skipped a couple of buses in favor of walking home from work, so I don't feel too terrible.

Maisie: if your lower legs are uncomfortable, have you tried compression socks? I've been wearing flight socks on long-haul flights for 15 years, and I often wear them under trousers for work (I'm a teacher and spend long periods standing without moving around). Flight socks are thin and not comfortable inside trainers, but my local Adidas shop has knee-high "soft" compression socks that feel really good in cold weather. They also have tiny non-slip spots on the sole, so my trainers aren't bashing my ingrown toenails.

My major purchase this week was a foam roller. Since I have virtually no core strength and very tight muscles, I'm resolving to 5 minutes daily after my shower.
  • Ooh .. been googling long socks now Kate! But I think I'm going to get a pair of running tights in a couple of weeks and meanwhile I'm just going to have to man up! 

It's been snowing non stop here for about 12 hours so I stuck with my rest day and spent pm in the pub (not drinking still for January though!) I'd be very impressed with any beginners who got out there in the south of the UK certainly! Anyone braved it?

• Maisie - I went out yesterday (before the South East became the Arctic) in a pair of Karrimor running tight things.  Not a pretty sight, but I got them from Sports Direct for £15 and boy were they warm once I got going!  

• Maisie - I was out this morning! (Sorry to sound smug!) Had to just do laps of the park sticking to grass as all else was sheet ice - it's hard work trying to run through four inches of snow! Not going to get another run in till next weekend though so had to make the effort...
  • Go on you two! Sort of looking forward to forcing myself out tomorrow evening ... it's so pretty here.

And Bella, I think the tights are the way forward. I'm trying to limit buying tons of kit and reward myself every few weeks with something I know I'll use! Tights my next reward.

• Maisie - I have the kind of thighs that should not be seen in anything but baggy clothing, but I go for practicality and pray that I dont see anyone I know!  I resisted buying them for years, but Im so pleased I have as they really do the trick and are super comfy.  

And I wont allow myself any more shopping until I am a 3 times a week 30 minutes runner!

• Ha - I tried a pair of tights on last week to see and they felt really good but certainly not pretty! Made me feel the part though. And I reckon the more I feel like a runner the closer I am to being one!

Fessed up to a couple of friends today that I've put in for a 10k and have been running last few weeks. They were pleasantly unshocked! Another bridge crossed ... 

• THats it then. You have to do it.  Dont want to look silly do you!

Im looking for a couple of challenges to sign up for myself.  I will probably do the RfL in the summer but its 'only' 5k and I'd like to think I will blitz that by then.

Need to find a short Easter race I think.

• Running tights are on my list of goals... no company makes them in my current size image

They're all the rage here in Japan, though, and both men and women wear shorts over them. Some of the women have these funky skirts: quilted down, like a thin jacket, and wrap-around like an old-fashioned PE skirt. My goal is to fit into them by next winter, they look great!

Maisie, if the commercial sizes fit you, then I'm sure they look much worse to you than to anyone else, so don't be shy. Besides, you'll be running and everyone will be convinced you know what you're doingimage
  • I haven't been able to run since last Thursday - I've been in wisdom teeth agony and am having them out tomorrow so gawd knows when I'll feel well enough to run again. I can't help feeling that all my hard work will have gone to waste image

Well done all of you who have been out in the snow!
  • do the aps have to have gps to work? my phone is really old , but i have an ipod touch, not sure the tracking aps will work on that? i joined my local parkrun which does 5k on saturdays, so i know i can do 5k, and they time it for you, so i use that as my progress assessment, although week 3 was slower than week 2 due to snow , i have 33 mins, 31.15 , and 32.3 mins for my 5ks, quite pleased with them times for a newbie

• i googled what c25k meant, now i get it, i thought you were all like training for some mad 25k run lol  - seemed somewhat advanced for a new ppl thread - 5k is managable for starters image

• Hang on! So my app WON'T have me running 25K in half an hour by March? 

• if it does i will deffo start following it image

i want to get my 5k time under 30 mins  - slowly does it  - i get impatient and want quicker results 

• Curly - 5k in 30 minutes is a goal I can only aspire towards!!  Well done you.

25k?  Are you all mad?

Its on the last page, but who was asking about the GPS things?

Your ipod touch will be able to cope with the C25k apps.  None of them (that I know of) use the GPS function on my phone.  They just talk to you. Mine allows you to play your own music at the same time.

The alternative is to search for Robert Ullery Cool Runnings - which is 9 podcasts (just google it) and he talks to you while playing his music,  Its not an app, but a series of tracks.  I used this years ago with my old ipod classic which doesnt do 'apps'

My app is by Zen Labs and they also do a 10k and a half marathon one - so I will be moving onto those next!

Dom and I use Endomondo as well which runs in the background while I run. It logs your activity and speed and also your route, and you can review your history on the main website. I used it a few years ago before I got an iPhone and used to just plot my route on the map so you can see how far you have gone,.

• Hello! Another noob-ish 'runner' here, out of running for at least a few years- also had a baby in between, a little girl who is nearly 10 months! About 4 years ago I ran a 10k so am not a total novice but feel like I'm starting from scratch...

Was hoping to join in an active thread and seems there is a few people in a similar situation! I'm looking to do at least one 10k this year, and start doing regular 5ks with parkruns.

First run was Friday in the snow! Only managed about 13mins with a little walk in between but felt nice to get out there again image

Hope you're all enjoying your runs!
  • Hi Soph - similar sitiuation to me, except my little man is 18 months.  I did a 5 miler in 2009 (pre pregnancy) and came last but 1 at 58 minutes. Im hoping to do the same race this year and beat both milestones!

I also did the Great South Run last year with absolutely no training, because I told someone I would.... big mistake, but I did finish it in just over 2 hours and didnt die.

Welcome to our little group.  13 minutes sounds amazing!  Im about to move onto week 4 of  the couch to 5k running programme and Im dreading having to run for 5 monutes without stopping!

• i will look in ipod touch apps , thanks for advice

the snow is delaying my running and my achey right foot so i went swimming this evening instead and am shattered , swimming is much harder for me for some reason 

i love our parkrun, its deffo easier to run that with more effort than what i put in my own, as you have everyone else to keep up with , there were over 300 on the first 2 weeks in jan, last sat was about 150 but it had snowed loads and i guess people who normally bring their kids etc didn't come out  - not  very buggy friendly in snow 

• Hi Curly, the "Zombies, run!" app lets you choose either GPS or accelerometer, so you can use it ona treadmill or without connectivity. It plays your music and issues instructions (and sound effects image ) through your headphones so you don't have to look at the screen or press any buttons. I haven't tried any others, but I'm sure they all allow for running on a treadmill, so they must have a non-GPS option.
  • Mine works on a treadmill. I think most do.

I love the zombie idea!
  • Hi all - how's everyone coping with the ice? I should be doing Day 2 of Week 3 today, but the combination of a sudden load of work in London (I live in Oxford) and icy pavements means I may have to wait until Saturday... it's too dark to run around the park before or after work, and too treacherous to risk running on the pavements.

Bit gutted about it - I'd been sticking religiously to the run day-rest day routine for seven runs... worried that now having five rest days between runs will set me back a bit.

• Went for a long walk with buggy today- I'd feel alright running in the snow daytime but would be scared of slipping as it freezes up at night!

Bells well done on the great south run! I'm sure that bit of background running helps even though it was a while ago- not dying always a bonus!

Curly- def up for my local parkrun, though maybe not for a few weeks so I don't embarrass myself too much!

I've got zombies run aswell! Is pretty cool
  • All the apps say I need different operating system image I have 1st gen iPod touch , maybe that's why , I will manage with music for now . The snow is getting on my nerves now , it's frozen solid , bad enough working in it , I walked home from work , don't fancy running on it though