Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

Stewart, Well done on your long run. Those extra miles will help in your next long run. 

Mace, Lovely to hear that you ran with your dogs. Lulu is the same - really keen for the first 0.5 miles and then gets into a rythm. Pleased you enjoyed it...sounds like they did !!  I also find that logs love chasing the runners in front image ( a pack type thing ) 

NN - she is getting fitter all the time image Good news about  your ankle !! Your brave with the ice bucket 

tek - another day for the streak image

OH - congrats with the race. Sounds like you made a good day of it and enjoyed it !!

Stuart - that hill walking must really help with leg power and endurance !!

Thats brilliant speed NP - Super work !!! Nice One.

10 miles for me today. Hard work still !!!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- good news with the ankle- fingers crossedimage

Mace- hope the weather improves!

Stuart- map? compass?image Good endurance training though!

NP- well done speedy!image

AGF- nice miles!image

5.7m recovery this morning and my legs were feeling the Castles' hills and the run back to the carimage, but they loosened up enough to run 8.1m this evening nice and steady in 59.13 (7.19 av). Happy enough with that consideringimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

I will try again with yesterday's profile- but in hindsight, it's pretty boring!image Not much variation....image

/members/images/469713/Gallery/castles.bmp

• Options

FionaC we'll be at Harris HM too (with a minimum of 2 ferry crossings each way) so no excuse! Stunning scenery there too - we spent quite a few holidays there when kids were young!
    JasonD I think I like a bit more variation but I suppose you did come back down?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH- it was a point to point race, but yes, I ran back to the beginning after the raceimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mace,

I intend to, however I'm more concerned with a shoulder & neck problem at the mo (the previously broken shoulder) so that's got a wheat bag on it at the mo.

---------

Well done on everyone's training & thanks for your comments on my weekend's runs.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Blimey Jason that's one serious hill!! Well done to you! Good that you managed to run today.

OH I think I will go, Skye was such fun and I don't think I've been to Harris. Will go look at your photos.

AGF well done on the 10, a good Monday run!

Stewart great long run yesterday, MP is tough enough at this stage never mind in the heat! Maybe see you tomorrow at JS.

NN great news on the ankle - had a laugh at the bandage causing more discomfort! image

Teknik nice easy run. image

mace shame you don't have the sun! Really unusual for it to be up here but making the most of it! image

Stuart that sounds scary, those hills are not good places to be when the mist comes down. Take care.

So happy that the ankle is ok NP! Sounds like you're still pining for those swims in Grand Cayman!

An easy 8 miles for me in the sun tonight before grass cutting (again!) and washing the car. Looks like rain by tomorrow night.

F

• Options

Jason nic rerunning today after the hills

OH well doneon dirty 30, sounds like fun

AGF that's a good effort for a Monday

NP looks like the ankle is on the mend

TEK hope you felt better on the easy run earlier

Fiona good run earlier, glad to see you still enjoying the mowing

Stewart  C good run yesterday in sun, good mileage all the same

5 mile tempo along the canal path at 7.38 av ,then a 1 mile cool down, kind of enjoyed it in a perverse sort of way

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Jason, wow that is a hill, and another double day to follow, you're a machine

OH, well done with the Dirty 30 I had a look at the photos the route looks stunning

AGF, well done with the 10

NP, I'm sure the international spinners can bowl faster than me, so I won't be waiting by the phone for a late call up, good to hear the ankle is improving

Tek, you're banging out those miles well done

Fiona, another good run and the grass at your place grows quick, fingers crossed the weather hold for this evening

MG, thanks mate, nice tempo along the canal at a good pace

------------------------------

Easy 4 mile run before body balance last night, I normally don't run on a Monday but coulndn't help myself it was such a lovely evening even if it was still very warm

Stats: 4mi,  42:39 @10:32mm, avgHR143(75%)

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Mace nice to get the dogs out on a good runimage

Stuart sorry to hear about the hill walking problems - hope your feet are less sore todayimage

Stewart glad you got some cricket in at last.  Nice easy run stats this morningimage

OH good race report and great picciesimage

NP nice swim and interval session

AGF well done on the 10 miler

Jason that looks worse than it sounded yesterday!!image

HM sorry to hear the shoulder is playing up again.  Hope the heat helped...

Fiona well done on the easy 8m (and more grass cutting!)

MG nice tempo runimage

----

10m easy for me this morning - 4m on the tarmac on my own, then 6m with the club through fields of buttercups.image

• Options

Jason thats a HILL !!  I did the Welsh Casles 2 years ago, stage 15 Red Kite/Drovers arms to Brecon it was about 12.5 miles and hammering down, a great event though, our club put a team in this year not sure how they got on though, must have a look

SM6 I hope the feet arent so sore today

Mace I cant believe its been cold where you are its been baking here in Devon..I would have gladly swapped weather on Sunday though

OH what a lovely race report and pictures,

HM4 do you have any physio for the shoulder ?

MG1 nice pace for that tempo, and I know what you mean about enjoying it in a perverse sort of way, thats what running seems to be most of the timeimage

NP nice swim and take it easy on that ankle (says she )image

Tek nice 10 miler and a field of buttercups how lovely..plenty of those round here too I love it, but also plenty of cows and cow pats..image

AFG well done on the 10, in waht way was it hard ? the distance or pace ?

Fiona nice 8 miler and your grass grows quickly I a glad I only have a small patio and a few tubs 

Stuart those runs are the best, no reason other than just " wanting to run"

Pilates and easy 5 miler at 71%, legs tired after sunday but  no issues with ankle today image

I went online to enter a nice tough hilly coastal half marathon at the end of this month I fancied doing just for the tee shirt but its full image there is one at Torbay on the 23rd, but its a good course for a decent time but I dont want to do it as I don't feel I would do well ( sometimes running is about a decent time ....and after all I said about my social half on Sunday )image    I need to get some tempo runs/intervals done first. Not done any since.......MARCH !!!! I have decided  NOT to run Abingdon but concentrate on Bristol (sept) and The Greatwest Run (oct), both half maras, I am confident I can train for a half at this point and I dont want to end up busting the ankle again training for another marathon this year then spoiling any chance of training for VLM 2014

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Kind of.  I told the doc I was starting to do the exercises I had last time and because some of the pain is also in my neck she's given me some exercises for that.

Tek,

It did thanks.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

10 miles on the treaddie today for me whilst watching the lions play image Happy days !

Jason - that looks liek a strength improving run - Nice hill work  !!

Thats a good tempo Run That MG - sure a few more of those will pay off later in the season...

stewart - I am with you - I love an evening run on a noce summers day image take them whilst you can I say !!

A sensible decision NN - that will certainly help with the confidence - especially if you want to enjoy your running in the next few months....bust a a gut in training to run fast at abingdon on a flat course may not give you such an enjoyable summer.   My 10 miles yetsrday was hard - "from a I am overweight and a little out of condition after 10 days of drinking and eating far too much rubbish type of way".

Iccle Jim - I am now back on MFP - as I want to lose a stone before berlin ( I need to if I am going to attempt a fast time)   

Teknik - sounds like an enjoyable run with the Club. Good man !!

• Options

Tek nice going through the wild flowers, beats Tarmac 

NN possibly a good move to take it a bit easier on that ankle over the next couple of months

AGF sounds like a good plan watching the rugby while on the treaddie 

6 easy miles tonight , a bit humid out there image

• Options

6 miles with the club this evening - incl 6 x 3 mins efforts with 1 min recovery. Bit slow on the efforts, most were slower than 10k pace! feet hurt, tight, sore and lazy. But at least I was running!

Hope to do a steady distance tomorrow, so that'll help!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nice running, guysimage

NN- think that it's probably wise not to run Abingdon

aGF- good luck with the weight loss

5.1m for me this morning and 12.12 in 1.30 this evening. Think Sunday's hills caught up with me tonight- legs a bit stiff and heavy- lol! 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

MG1 canal paths are great for faster running! image It was humid tonight but nice.

Well done on the run and body balance Stewart, nice catching up with you tonight.

Teknik sounds like you were running on my lawn - the buttercups are going a bit mad this year!! Nice run. image

Totally agree with you NN - if you know it's a course with PB potential you feel you have to race it. image I was just saying to Stewart tonight that I've not done any proper speedwork since March. I love this relaxed running but will have to be doing a bit of speed soon before the legs forget what to do! Pleased that Harris is another hilly one so I can just toddle round and really take in the scenery. image

Well done on the treadmill running AGF, was that not a really hot one?!

Well done on the efforts IJ.

Hope the recovery is going well OH and that your ankle is still ok NP?

A nice easy 2.5 miles for me before meeting up with the group and doing an 8.1 mile run. A few hills thrown in; a lovely night for it and great to run and chat!

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post Jason - not surprised the legs are feeling the hills - down would have been almost as bad!

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- yep, the guaranteed 48 hour later effect. Felt weak going uphill tonight and stiff on the downhills! Not much better on the flat either- lol! around 10 secs a mile slower than normal, but will be better by tomorrow. Hope so anyway- monster intervals tomorrow pm! imageimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, your club like their off road routes, beats running through industrial estates any day, well done banking another 10

NN, you know your body and vlm is a key race, hope you find another relaxed half to do soon

HM, hope the new exercises help

AGF, hats off to you sir 10 miles on the treadie, watching the Lions would have help pass the time

MG, well done getting the 6 done,

IJ, hope the recovery run tomorrow loosens up the legs

Jason, great mileage again not suprised the legs are feeling it, you have done some serious hill work over the weekend

Fiona, it was a lovely evening for a run, I'll have to see if I can get out with you speedier guys sometime soon

---------------------------------

JS tonight too the 6 mile group, a relaxed run with a few inclines to get the heart pumping, 

Stats: 6.18mi, 1:04:22, @10:25mm, avgHR150(79%)

• Options

Rest day needed methinks,and weather/work helping that decision today .
    3 mile "recovery" run which was hard on Monday then kayaking yesterday evening.
    Weather now wet cold and generally yukimage

Jason - nice to hear that you're actually human now and then image

NN "nice hilly coastal HM" in Harris at beginning of July ...imageimage
    (will be good to meet up FionaC image)

Tek MG1 FionaC buttercups - wild flower or pernicious weed?imageimage

StewartC - good you got the "summer"'s run in while it lasted!
    "off road routes, beats running through industrial estates any day" well said IMHO

IJ sometimes we just have to force ourselves. Good on you for keeping CBA fairy at bay.

AGF 10 miles on treadie?image Watching the rugby would have helped

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN sorry about Abo, but that does sound like a sensible planimage

AGF well done on the 10 miler and good luck on the weight loss

MG nice easy 6m

IJ well done on the club run. Hope the feet are a little better today

Jason nice day's work yesterday...good luck with today's intervals

Fiona good hilly run.  You've still got buttercups after all that mowing?image

Stewart well done on the JS run last night

OH well done on the recovery run and kayaking - enjoy the rest day todayimage.  I think we're in for some rain here, too.

---

Hard day here.  1m w/up then 8m MP test.  Bit disappointed with the 8:05 pace but the HR was lower and flatter, levelling at around 81%max, so on balance a "good" session.image

Then press-ups: 18/ 22/ 16/ 16/ 25 = 97 with 60 secs recoveries.  HM I'm amazed you did all this with that shoulder...image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Updated Race List - please let me know any additions or amendmentsimage

16/06/13 Purbrook Ladies 5            HM
    16/06/13 Hoy Half                           OH
    21/06/13 Nacht van Vlaanderen     Emmy
    22/06/13 Highland Cross Duathlon Fiona C
    29/06/13 Giant's Head                    Emmy
    30/06/13 Horndon-on-the-Hill 10k   Teknik
    06/07/13 Harris Half                        OH
    14/07/13
    21/07/13 Fairlands Valley Challenge Teknik
    21.07/13 Dundee Half                     Stuart M
    28/07/13
    04/08/13 World Police and Fire Games Half No Pain
    06/08/13 WPFG Biathlon                No Pain
    11/08/13 Salisbury 54321              Teknik
    11/08/13 Isle of Mull Half                Andi
    17/08/13 Nairn Half                         StewartC
    24/08/13 Thames Meander            Emmy
    25/08/13
    01/09/13 Great Scottish Half          Spark, Stuart M
    01/09/13 Moray Half                      StewartC
    08/09/13 Maidenhead Half            Johnas
    08/09/13 Titanic 10k                      No Pain
    08/09/13 Dunstable Downs 20      Teknik
    15/09/13 Bristol Half                      Night Nurse, Sophie B
    15/09/13 Stirling 10k                     Stuart M
    15/09/13 Lake Vyrnwy Half           Jason D
    22/09/13 Tonbridge Half               Johnas
    22/09/13 Great Langdale Half      OH
    22/09/13 Pleshey Half                  Teknik
    29/09/13 Loch Ness                     Spark, StewartC, Andi
    29/09/13 Berlin                             AGF, Emmy, Kaz
    05/10/13 Harwich Discovery 10k  Teknik
    06/10/13 Chester                          Pammie, Doc Pete, Jason D, HazLot
    06/10/13 Royal Parks Half           Johnas

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

06/10/13 Jersey                            MG
    13/10/13 Cologne                         Emmy (Half); sevendaughters
    13/10/13 Great West Run             Night Nurse
    20/10/13 Birmingham Half            MG, Sophie B
    20/10/13 Palma                             IccleJim
    20/10/13 Amshterdam                  Johnas (Half); Fiona C
    26/10/13 Snowdonia                    Jason D, OH
    27/10/13 Frankfurt                        Teknik, Johnas, Emmy
    28/10/13 Dublin                             No Pain
    22/12/13 Portsmouth Coastal        Zoe Windsor

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497

• Options

Afternoon,
    Jason great mileage covered yesterday, over 17 miles on tired legs is damn good going, without getting to carb/diet obsessed out of curiosity how did you fuel those 17 miles ?
    Stuart nice easy 6, and it would be a good idea to join Fiona for some faster sessions I am sure she will look after you image
    Fiona I was thinking today as I plodded around that NEXT week I shall add some tempo stuff, the lack of it didn't seem to slow you down in your half the weekend though.
    OH, enjoy the rest day and I think Harris HM would mean a little more than 2 ferry crossings from Devon to the start, as lovely as the race sounds..
    Tek a pretty good session there I would say , not an easy session and it reminds me how lazy I am being..lol...next week I will run faster.

Pilates and 10.75 miles @ 9.40s with AVE HR 73% pleased with that..bit humid though..yuk..

• Options

It's not so much CBA (fortunately!) just that my feet are bu66ered and running hurts! not so much today, so hopefully I will get a few decent miles in today!

• Options

"Amshterdam"
    typo? or just Tek's offbeat humour?

IJ - Hope feet recover soon

NN - just teasing image

• Options

OH .. I know you jest image..plus I have never been further north than Liverpool and I would probably get a nose bleed if I came up that far...image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- yesterday's fuel was a 2 egg turkey omelette for breakfast, spinach smoothie, apple and an orange for lunch, dimner after the run was turkey breast steak, iceberg lettuce and a bucket of full fat coleslawimage

IJ- listen to your bodyimage

pouring with rain and howling a gale here...,just over 4m this morning - more later, but speedwork on the track looks out as track is being used. Given the wether, I am not too disappointedimage