2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

I hope so.  I've got a race on Sunday and my neck is very painful at the mo.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Jason, if I listened to my body I'd never run!!!

AGF, good luck with MFP. I'm 10lbs down since I started using it in February, and about a stone down on the week before Christmas. I'm sure it's a major factor in my speeding up this year. That and 35 miles a week, of course!

______

tonight's recovery run was 10 miles, 94 mins. It felt hard and although my foot didn't hurt - as such - both were stiff and my running was quite fat and ethargic, as if I'd put on two stone or so and tried to run! Good to get the miles in, despite torrential rain the whole way, and hopefully, it'll be an easier club run tomorrow (I'm expecting 10 miles or so, and a fair chunk of cross country!)

• Jason do you have high fat dairy ?I am impressed on how you run on such low carbs, the only carbs to speak of are the apple and orange which would be well under 50ish grams for the day, still primal/paleo here, but between 100-140grams on long running days...and about 180 on race day...made up of the usual banana/fruits/veg sweet potatoes/wild rice ..no grains  for 2 months and I dont wake up starving now, image, had a conversation with a pal who attends slimming world image total waste of my breath, trying to convince her to ditch the low fat diet crap, RIVITA !!! what is that all about ??? imageI have lent her my Primal Blueprint book but I think its probably propping up the leg of her coffee table..image

HM4 take it easy  am looking forward to seeing your race result.

I shall be spectating this weekend, my son is doing his first half IM somewhere in Oxford.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- You got me thinking- I will have to try and keep a note! Looking back, I duid also graze on cheese, almonds and pork scratchings- so quite high calorie/ high fat foods there. I think that I can do low carb easily as long as I don't run faster than say mp. I have an unopened box of Crackerbread and Ryvita here if your friend wants themimage

IJ- Well, I followed my own advice todayimage I have never heard of a 10m recovery run though! lol!

Story of this evening:

Schedule says intervals....
    Head says 1 hour steady state....
    Body says short and easy recovery run....
    Result? No contest- body wins every time image
    To be fair, the schedule didn't include last week's 5k or Sunday's Castles either. The weather made the decision even easier-image 

• Tek good work with the run and press ups image

NN nice steady run earlier on

IC well done on the 10 recovery in the rainimage

5 m with .3 m intervals  tonight, legs felt a little tired, gym session tomorrow night to look forward toimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart it would be great to have you run with us. imageimage

OH sounds an ideal day to rest - will be great to see you at Harris! image Buttercups are pretty but grow far too fast!

Teknik well done on the MP test - it's early days and will get faster! Good going with the press ups too. I'm also down for the Harris half on 6 July. image

Nice run NN and pilates. I suspect that I have been doing more hills since VLM and that might go some way to replacing speed work - a little maybe? I certainly find it more enjoyable!

IJ well done on the run in the rain!

Jason I'm intrigued, what is in a spinach smoothie other than spinach? Pleased to hear you snack through the day - the first note of what you ate (meals only) made me feel like a real pig the amount I eat! image

Well done on the intervals MG1.

I felt like a little bit of speed tonight so did a treadmill run - 10 minute warm up followed by 4 mins, 6 mins, 8 mins, 4 mins, 2 mins at 14k/hr with 2 min recoveries between each at 13k/hr. Not exactly speed but happy with that as my first faster run in a long time. Will start on the tempo running soon.

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- spinach one is pint and a half ( or 3 huge handfuls) spinach, inch of ground ginger, big handful of coriander, chopped up lime, 3 bananas and a pint of iced water. Well done onthe speedy runimage

MG1- good speed session tooimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

40-50mph winds tomorrow morning with tree damage and possible disruption to traffic according to BBC weather. Should make the morning run bracing.... image I love the summer!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, hope you have enjoyed your rest day, well deserved

Tek, well done with MP run a tough session 

NN, a good 10 mile run and a low HR, to boot, 

IJ, hope you're feeling better after your recover run

HM, fingers crossed the shoulder and neck are better for the weekend

Jason, lol body always wins, 

Fiona, speedy session on the treadmill, I will have to wait until some of the leaders return from their holidays image

MG, well done getting through a tough interval session

-----------------------------

10 with some MP miles along to Dochgarroch and back, a fair bit of drift, plenty of time to work on that

stats: 10mi, 1:33:26, @9:20, avgHR 153(80%)

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on the MP run Stewart. As you say lots of time to work on it.

jason the smoothie certainly sounds interesting; I think it's the idea of banana in with all the savoury things that throws me a bit! 

3.4 miles this morning in glorious sunshine but breezy! image 

F

• 40 today image. Happy  and healthy. Here's to the next 40.

a jog with the wife in Hyde park planned and kings of Leon tonight.

happy days image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

AGF, Happy Birthday hope you have a great day image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on the 10.75m yesterday.  100 - 140g of carbs sounds like breakfast to meimage

IJ hope your feet feel better today.  Nice 10 miler yesterday.

HM is the neck any easier?

MG good run plus intervals

Jason awful weather!  Sensible doubleimage

Fiona - Harris addedimage...nice treddie session yesterday, and nice breezy recovery this morning.

Stewart good MP run - the drift will dampen as the mileage ramps up.

AGF wayhay happy birthdayimage...enjoy the concertimage

----

7.6m easy this morning, picked up 6footTekimage from his exams, then did 3m of 200/200 fartlek at roughly 5k pace / 140% of 5k pace.image

• I won't comment on my feet yet... don't want to tempt fate!

• We bumped into David Cameron this morning in green park. 

Me: morning prime minister 

DC; morning 

does not happen everydayimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

I will do.  I'm still waiting for my number to come thru image!  I do intend to take the race easy.

Stewart,

Thanks.

Tek,

It's a bit easier.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• AGF - Happy birthdayimage Think I'd have taken a different approach if I had seen David Cameron though.

Tek - Good running this morning

Hope everyone else is good.

-----------

6.05 miles @ 9:29ave.

Feet still hurt a bit, other than that a reasonable run. Need to pump in a good few miles before I go on holiday on Sunday morning.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Missed that one sorry.  Happy birthday.  Enjoy the gig.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday AGF! image Enjoy KOL.

Nice fartlekking Teknik.

Stuart just take the trainers on holiday!

4.5 miles easy for me; it's getting breezy out there.

F

• club run tonight; 2 miles there at a steady 9:20 pace, then 8.25 miles at a bit faster; total 10.25 miles at 9:05 pace (about 93 mins).

Feet okay, but ankles now sore! I really need to get some new trainers!

• IJ - Nice run tonight

Fiona - Well done on the easy run. I can safely say the trainers won't be going with me. I struggle to run in 18 degree heat here. it's going to be around 40 in Marrakech, I'm not trying to run in that!image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Happy new age category, AGFimage

2 recovery runs here toda. Legs felt really sore this morning- much better this eveningimage

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, another good day of training hope not so little Tek did ok with his exam

AGF, I bet that was weird bumping into the PM like that

SM6, nice running good to hear the feet are on the mend, enjoy the holiday

Fiona, well done with the 4.5 easy, and you're right a little windy out

------------------------------------------

6 mile JS run tonight, kept the run at a comfortable pace and worked hard on the inclines, decided to take a rest day tomorrow and do a little gym work followed by body balance

Stats: 6.27mi, 1:02:21 @9:57 avgHR 147(77%)

• AGF, are you sticking with your PBs or going for the "I'm a Vet now and that's it... new PBs all round" attitude?!

• IJ,  I think I will wipe the slate clean in 10 years time when 50 image. More pb's to come for me I hope image

• luckily I'm still beating PBs so not having to worry!

maybe no run tonight - got 9 miles left to hit my 35 mile weekly target, but have now been pursuaded to do the Newark parkrun tomorrow. Hope to make up with 15+ LSR on Sunday

• macemace ✭✭✭

jason - Spinach smoothie ? Sounds proper primal, oomphh image

AGF - belated returns, hope the PM bought you a pint image

Despite saying i wouldn't as i thought the £60 was a bit steep, i have ... entered Brighton 2014 image

I'm in the mood now, so i'm off to line up a few races

Great training everyone

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart good 6 miler, hope the feet are better

Fiona nice easy 4.5m

IJ well done on the 10.25m, take care of the ankle

Jason well done on the recovery double

Stewart he's got just 2 left - Maths paper 3 on Monday, then Latin Verse on Wednesday...and then the nightmare is over!  Nice 6 mile run, enjoy the rest and gym.

mace great newsimage...looking forward to hearing about the races.

----

Massage, hot yoga and just a little 3m recovery jog for me. Really warm here...