2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Tek - Good training today. Latin Verse sounds, emmm, interestingimage Maths was more my thingimage

Mace - Well done on getting signed up for Brighton, something to aim for nowimage Even if it is 10 months away.

Stewart - Nice run last night, nice pace for it too.

Jason - Well done on the 2 runs yesterday

-----------

7.35 @ 9:34 ave 

I was soaked by the time I had ran half a mileimage Other than that a good enough outing. Done a few sets of strides during mile 7. Didn't really pay attention to my HR monitor. Since I only slept for an hour and a half today, it was likely to be a bit high.

Hopefully sleep better tonight and get 12-13 done tomorrow and maybe 5-6 very early on Sunday.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Good running, Guys

SM6- weather similar here- with a howling gale!

Mace- breakfast and lunch today was a kale, avocado and banana smoothieimageimage

I had a morning off this morning as my legs were still a bit sore. loosened up nicely tonight though for a storming session! I was lucky to have company for a tempo session on the track- I find tempo runs the hardest to run solo! The plan was to run 30 mins at around half mara pace, followed by 10x 400 at 10k pace with 200 recoveries between. Very happy with the run in the conditions as I managed a total of 8.81m in 53.27 (6.04 av) A good place to be in the middle of a series of 90m+ weeksimage A real confidence booster! 

• Evening..
    AGF happy 40th for yesterday..sorry I didn't get chance to post yesterday..hope you had a good one..and enjoyed the Kings of Leon,

Fiona well done on the double day

Mace 60 quid for Brighton !should be worth it if the infamous Brighton Marathon thread is anything to go by !!..lolimage

Tek well done on the hot yoga, hope you carb loaded sounds tough

SM6 are you going somewhere nice ? good mileage over the last couple of days and good luck on the long run tomorrow

Jason I have had an avocado and a banana today, also some spinach...but NOT ALL MIXED UP TOGETHER !! it just seems so wrong..great running and mileage for you on that bizarre diet, and I agree the tempo runs are the hardest to do solo

Stewart just an observation, I see you always note your HR ..do you try to keep most of it well under 75%? it may help minimize drift on the longer runs.

HM4 I wont get chance to post again till monday as I am going away so good luck for sunday dont take it too easy though..

Well I decided to get the dreaded tempo run out the way having looked at a P&D  schedule for Bristol Half 

1 mile warm up then 4 tempo (ish) bugger !! what a wake up call..image

Really hard work, took ages for legs to get the message !! plus strong head wind
    8.09...8.12..8.11...7.45 the last one wasn't down hill it just took that long to get going !!! then 1 mile cool down and collapse !!  a long way to go me thinks image
    ave HR 82%

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- try it! 1 1/2 pints ish of kale, 2 bananas and 1 pint of iced water. Whizz it up then add 1 avocado and whizz again image yum! Well done on run in tough conditions!

• We have 50 people coming for a BBQ today and it looks like rain. Brill image

#onlyslightlystressed

• AGF - Hope the weather holds out for your bbqimage

NN - Nice tempo pace, even if it did take you 3 miles to get into itimageI'm off to Morocco tomorrow, can't wait. Don't think I've been further than Inverness in the last 4 yearsimageimage

Jason - Nice running, sounds like a bit of a beast of a session.image

-----------------

11.77 miles in 2:00:00image for me this morning, including a parkrun of some sort. I was even propping up the rear at parkrun for a brief spellimage

If I'm up really early tomorrow, I'll throw in something like 5 with 3 @ 90%

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart nice run yesterday in the rain - don't know how you coped on so little sleep! Well done on today's totalimage

Jason - tempo run then some intervalsimage.  Monster session!

NN "Jason I have had an avocado and a banana today, also some spinach...but NOT ALL MIXED UP TOGETHER !!"imageimage.  Well done for braving the tempo run...

AGF eek!  Hope it goes ok

HM and OH good luck for tomorrow!image

---

9m for me this morning - 3 on the tarmac then 6 through the park with the club.

---

Races

16/06/13 Purbrook Ladies 5            HM
    16/06/13 Hoy Half                          OH

• Well  done everyone who ran yesterday, Sm6 have a great holiday , AGF a belated happy birthday, raining here in Brum so hope the showers miss your BBQ 

Tek nice 9 this morning

16 m for me this morning in 2.18  at 8.39 av , longest run since Rotterdam ,  a right mixed bag of conditions  - windy, rainy and sunny 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN & Tek,

Thanks.

------

Well done on everyone's training.  Running number still not arrived however they've said they'll sort one out tomorrow.

• Enjoy tomorrow HM4
    Thanks Tek

Windy and wet today but due to drop to 9mph tomorrow albeit a head wind.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

AGF- good luck with the BBQimage

MG1- well done on the long runimage

tek- nice run- not too muddy I hopeimage

OH- 9mph? You won't even notice itimage

Not much here today- 8m trail run this morning, including our parkrun taken fairly easily in 20.15. Off out for a short plod in a bitimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Another 6.55- first 200m of June out of the wayimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Gosh, looks like it'll be a 400m month Jason?

Have fun at the races HM and OH. image

MG1 sounds like a good run, lots of variety!

Teknik the run through the park sounds nice. image

Stuart, heat aside not so sure I'd feel safe running in Marrakech!  Hope you have a great time. A strangely pleasing set of numbers for your run today! image

AGF I hope the BBQ is going well.

NN not surprised the tempo felt tough, not an easy run, well done.

mace is Brighton around the same weekend as VLM in 2014 (13th)?

12 miles easy for me this morning. image Breezy but sunny.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- nice runningimage not sure about the 400- recovery week the week after nextimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

I like the sound of a recovery week! Is that three weeks regular and then one recovery? What % of mileage do you do?

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Supposed to be 3 weeks and then week cutback to about 70%. But cos I did a trial of the first 2 weeks, it will be 5 weeksimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

I guess I'm only on 50mpw so not really at a level where I need to cutback but will do when I do more miles. 18 weeks tomorrow til Amsterdam so the relaxed summer of running begins! image

F

• macemace ✭✭✭

Fiona, it's the week before VLM so 6th April. And 50M a week is enough to be taking a recovery week I reckon. That's what I've been doing for the last 3 or 4 weeks and will be cutting back to about 35 next week. 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona - I agree withmace- recovery weeks are important in long term mileage building

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sounds good to me! image Will take a recovery week the week after The Highland Cross (week after next).

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NN, I do try to keep the HR around 75% but if there are any hills the HR shoots way up, a tough tempo run 

AGF, hope the BBQ went well

SM6, another good run yesterday, hope the speedwork went well

Tek, well done with the 9 mile run

OH, good luck with the Hoy Half

HM, good luck with the Purbrook Ladies 5

Jason, well done on reaching 200 for the month already

Fiona, well done with the 12,

MG1 well done with the 16 in tricky conditions

Mace, 60 quid is a bit pricy

-----------------------------------------------------

11.5 miles for me yesterday, took on Leachin brae for the first time and made it to the top, the plan was to run up to the mast but my sense of direction is poor to say the least I ended up doing about three miles too much as I ran down the Great Glen way towards Drum image

Stats: 11.52mi, 2:00:53, @10:30mm avgHR152(80%)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG good long run yesterday - nice paceimage

Jason nice double, and congrats on breaking 200 alreadyimage

Fiona well done on the easy 12m

mace hiimage

Stewart nice running yesterday

---

It was supposed to be the first long run of the plan this morning, but I felt lousy, so cut it short to 13.8m.  Kept a lid on the HR at 75%max, pushed the last mile to get the average pace to 8.58mm.

Another week over!  60.6m in 9h00, av. pace 8:55, av. HR 72%max.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona & Stewart,

Thanks - race report is below.

Tek,

Hope you're feeling better now.

--------

Everything looked as though it was going to go wrong today as the 'bag boy' said he'd got a migraine so didn't provide his services which was also going to include chauffeur duty.  However after getting to the race and chucking my change of clothes bag in the boot I had a race number wrote out for me as this still hadn't arrived in yesterday's post.  Did a warm up & walked to the start and was hoping that the rain wouldn't show it's face as it was drizzly before the start.

Checked my watch about 2-3 min after the start and was surprised and pleased to see 11 min miles as this was the pace I wanted to run at so I didn't end up walking at any point as it's an undulating/hilly course.  By this time the only thing behind me was the sweep person.  The first mile was a real surprise (10:34). I slowly made my way thru the field and kept overtaking people until the very last person I overtook who sprinted past me towards the finishing tunnel - there wasn't a sprint in me. I was disappointed in the goodie bag which was just a bottle of water and a medal as usually there's a money off voucher for Alexandra Sports, however they were let down by the person/company who does the bags with only 2 months to go & didn't have enough time to arrange a replacement.  However it's still a well organised race.  Decided to jump straight into the car without getting changed to see how the bag boy was & when I got in he was still in bed with the migraine just beginning to go and groggly waking up.

Splits :-  10:34, 10:32, 10:29, 10:57 (the really hilly mile), 10:16 (downhill mainly) and I accquired an odd .02 miles which worked out to 9 min miles.  Ave pace 10:33.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, hope you're feeling better soon well done getting a run in

HM, congrats, well done with the race and the report was good too image

-------------------------------------------

5 mile recovery run, I'm still feeling a little delicate after the wedding I attended yesterday

Stats: 5.02mi, 54:52, @10:56mm avgHR 138(73%)

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- well done on toughing it out. Hope you're feeling betterimage

Stewart- well done on the run- and making navigational 'adjustments' image

HM4- well done on the race and report

18m nice and steady in 2.13 for me this morning after a lousy night's sleep. 30 min recovery jog later onimage

• Well done HM4image

Sounds a good run yesterday StewartC followed by wedding
    Did you have good weather too for your recovery run today?

Nice 18 JasonD

Tek 13.8miles is still a "long" run by your previously published definition

Just in from Hoy. Very warm day for us (but not as hot as 25C last week).
    My son won won race in 1h12:55 ! image

My time was a tad slower at 2h03 (but managed to pick up 3rd in age group)
    (Also got medal for first team, but not one of qualifying 3 runners and one was my son ...).
    A little disappointed not to get in under 2h but not surprising after last week.

Walked down for a cool down swim after run with Elspeth before seeing son T get his silverware.

Out for family meal now (3 of offspring home)

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps sorry for been AWOL, at work and not enough time in the day to do everything, managed a good weeks training with a bit Moore speed and a few more miles with 13 on the treadmill this morning at dark o'clock. Reading back some very good training and dieting going on with a good few adding more speed. HM4 well done with your race with more training and more miles your times will come down.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Thanks.  My pb is 48 min something so I know quicker is possible.  I've got the funny feeling that I'm saving myself for the club championships image!

OH,

Who cares about the time you got 3rd in your age group!  Well done.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH- Sounds like a good family effort! 1st and 3rd in category!!image

NP- Checked up on you on Fetch to make sure you were ok and still loggingimage. Guessed it must be w**k keeping you awayimage. Well done on the training

Got my 4.2m recovery run out of the way- legs feeling surprisingly freshimage

Weekly stats: 101.13m in 12.53.57 (7.39 av)image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on Leachkin Brae yesterday Stewart and the easy miles this morning. Just go left at the gate and uphill to the mast. image

Teknik a great run for not feeling so good. Hope you feel better now? image

Great report and well done HM4. imageimage

Well done on the sleep deprived run Jason.

OH fantastic family outing by the sounds of it! Well done on the 3rd place and to your son for an outright win!! imageimage 

Good to hear from you NP. Not long til you're free to train any time! image

A great morning, warm, a bit breezy but dry. Decided to do a fartlek so 5.5m av pace 7:36mm. image Pushed it on the uphills, took it easier going downhill. Nice to stretch the legs a bit.

Weeks stats 50 miles in 6:44:36, av pace 8:06mm, av HR 163.

F