Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- nice fartlekingimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Very impressive mileage Jason! Well done on a speedy parkrun in the midst of a longer one!

Nice early long run AGF, how many are you planning?

NN tiredness is terrible when running as I found out today! The legs just will not play along!

MG1 nice long running too with a speedy finish!

Surely you're not old enough for a dinosaur 10k mace image Well done on the parkrun PB and for psyching out teacher! image

Very sensible not to do two speed sessions in a row Teknik. Nice fartlekking. image

HM4 hope you get out.

Will do a race report in next post.

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Highland Cross

Apologies for the long post!

Set off nice and early (6:45am), to team mates house for a last coffee then on to collect other team member. Then on to catch the bus which takes us to the start at Kintail. Arrived there at 10am and nodded off on the way over - still catching up on sleep!
    Headed into the bothy to chat to folks, useful to have cover when the midgies are on the rampage! It was ok today as a bit of a breeze. Had the usual 'what to wear' dilemma then schoolgirl error - decided nice and mild out so left the jacket in the bag to go back to the start.
    Rain started just as the helicopters were firing up and they shouted go! I found it a bit cold and soon soaked through. It stopped after a few miles but sodden. Ran with one team member until he fell back at mile 4, did hang back but he was toiling a bit so ran on. Other guy up ahead. The run starts to climb at mile 5 til mile 7 and by then my legs were telling me they were definitely not up for a hard run so I fell in behind folks run/walking. Not much chance to pass really as parts of the path are single file only but I was happy with that.
    Miles 1-10: 8:04, 7:39, 7:56, 9:10, 14:10, 12:05, 10:17, 9:06, 8:00, 8:41
    A few water crossings before the main one - 15 large steps later I was across, feet sodden and suffering from a monster stitch. Road then very stony and rough and feet getting blistered but just decided to do a steady pace, nothing daft. WRI tent around mile 12 but decided against cakes and sandwiches!! Then onto what they call the yellow brick road and an undulating road to the quarry to pick up the bike
    Miles 11-19.11: 8:20, 8:38, 9:03, 9:04, 8:35, 8:47, 8:19, 8:23, 8:14, 0.54

So then the changeover and run time of 2:53:14 - took 10:46 to change as frozen and hands would not move! But worst of all rain pelting down and no jacket.

Made the mistake when I set off on the bike of pressing stop and not lap and did not realise til later when I wanted to see how long I had left on the bike - gutted!

So the bike ride started cold and got colder. It is mainly downhill and I was just frozen. I considered stopping every time I passed an ambulance and ended up actually talking to myself to keep going. Tried drafting which was great on the few uphills but then I can't keep up on the downhill or flat. Lots of water right across the road so soaked from above and below.
    Eventually made it to Beauly and the finish line - so happy!!! Before I was off my bike they were wanting to haul me into an ambulance and I could hardly talk, the words would not come out. Then got cramp in my calf but got caught before I fell off the bike! Anyway team mate there at the finish so I evaded the ambulance and managed to get back to pick up warm clothes. Finish time 4:43:00. Other team members were 4:38:49 and 5:02:18. Winner was a local Dr in a stunningly impressive time of 3:16:55 after a 2:00:10 run and 17 minutes ahead of 2nd place!
    It s a great event and the volunteers are truly the stars of the day standing about in those conditions.

Feeling fine now as had a nice bath (hot!) and some toast!

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace I'm not surprised the teacher was a no-show.  Top running, particularly on your own.  Great PB!! imageimage

HM hope you got out for a run or twoimage

MG well done on that 17 miler - good running

NN good stuff with the weights. Hope the LR goes ok today.

AGF super long run - I saw the stats on Fetch and it was a great flat HR print too.

Jason nice double again - super mileage this monthimage

Fiona image that sounds like a real hard-core event.  Great racing and good report too - hope you've warmed up now!

---

LSR of 15m for me this morning - averaged 9mm and 70%maxHR, and only a couple of blips towards 75%max on the hills.  Now just trying to psyche myself up for those sodding press-ups...image

week's stats: 64.4m in 9h26, 8:48mm av. and 72%max HR avg.

• Options

Flipping eck FIONA that's hard core !! if you could see my facial expressions while reading the report you would have laughed image very well done and make sure you keep warm eat well and rest now

Jason awesome mileage going on...and thanks yes I will be careful..its just great to be running reasonably well again, I have had 2 non running days this week, still icing after every run and doing plenty of stretching and strengthening exercises for the tendon several time a day.

AGF blimey !! well done on the 21 I didnt realise you were up to 21 already, I hope you have built up gradually !!image

Tek nice long run and great mileage for the week

Todays 14 went great felt really strong despite yesterdays weight session, best long run in months  2.13 for the 14 miles @9.30s... 7 minutes quicker than 4 weeks ago on same route at that HR , a few good hills...but cool fresh and breezy image super run dead chuffed 

AVE HR 74%

off to bed now for a nap to recharge batteries for nightshift.

• Options

sounds like some great runs going on! RW web has lost its links to the forums (at least on my browsers at home and work!) so not been able to get on as much. Pooh.

I reached my 40 target last week, supposedly the first week of ncreased mileage leading up to the October marathon. I'd done 2 x 35 miles in the previous two weeks, and had still averaged 35 a week since January. This week's got a 5k race in it so I'll have to take it easy Tuesday, and did "just" 14.x today, though it was pretty slowish, 2:20 = 9:56 pace.

New trainers bedding in nicely now...

• Options

NN hope the legs are feeling ok today after the run and class, great exercises for building strength but always leave my legs sore

Jason good stuff yesterday , that's going to be a mega mileage month for youimage

Fiona  great effort  yesterday, that sounded a hard core race

Tek  nice 15, enjoy the press upsimage

steady 5 this morning in 8.51 av, four weeks left before  2 weeks holiday , so want to make it them good ones.

• Options

MG - Good running today

IJ - Well done on hitting 40 miles for the week, I'm hoping to get back to that from next week.

NN - Nice long run today, good pace and HR

Tek - Excellent running for the week, well doneimage

MAce - Nice 5k PB, good stuffimage

Jason - Some nice runs in there

AGF - You'll be in fine shape for Berlin if you're already banging out the 20+ runsimage

Fiona - Sounds a tough run, well done on a great timeimage

OH & HM - How were the races last weekend? 

Hope everyone else is wellimage

---------------

Just back from Morocco a couple of hours ago, and I don't think I've ever came back from holiday so tired! Probably explains my poor run today.

Anyway, I've managed 3 runs this week. 2x5k treddy efforts in Marrakech and a 5miler today that was much harder than it should have been. I appear to be 5kg lighter (77kg, down to 72) than I was when I left last Sundayimage 

Also had a couple of days hillwalking, which saw us summit the highest mountain in the country on Tuesday (Mt. Toubkal, 4167m). Quite ridiculous how the body reacts at that sort of altitude...

Aiming for 40 miles next week.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on the long run Teknik and hope the press ups went well! image Nice weekly stats!

NN great run by you too. image Good to hear the tendon is behaving and great that your legs were not heavy after the weights yesterday.

MG1 are you going somewhere warm? image

Good news on the trainers IJ.

So that's my cutback week done, mileage very low (33 -34 ish) but will get going again next week. image Have to sort out yesterday on Fetch as it's now predicting my marathon time as 2:22! image Will split the run/cycle but will probably leave all the Garmin stats on one as it gets a bit complicated! image

Rest day today.

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- great run and that is some improvement!image

tek- nice running again. How did the press ups go?image

SM6- sounds like a great holiday! Most people gain weight on their holsimage

Fiona- Gret report and racing. The cutback week will pay dividendsimageimage Not sure if it will get you down to 2.22 soon though....

18m for me today in exactly the same time as last weekimage Short slow recovery run planned for later and then I start my recovery week image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post Stuart, good that you had a nice holiday. Sounds like you'll need another to recover!

Jason, I wish! image Nice running today.

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Just back home from a weekend in Enniskillen and no time to get on here lots of reading back fantastick running Jason and Teknik even if you pushed the pace a bitimage.

Mace great parkrun looks like the teacher is run scared of you mateimage

MG1 great long run this morning.image

NN well done on your running and gym sessions, your right I'm not going to miss working shifts image on Leave now and won't be back in work again image

Teknik great running today.

SM6 sounds like you had a nice time away.

Jim well done on the 14 today.

Fiona that's a great race report, you must have felt very cold if you where wet through to the skin, but would wont make the same mistake againimage Glad to managed to warm up in the bath. did your toast get soggy?image

After yesterday's run up and down my hill it was followed by the Red Arrows flying up and down Belfast Lough and over the castle in Carrickfergus. We then had to rush off to Enniskillen to look after the Granddaughter as mum and dad where attending a wedding so we stayed in the Lough Erne resort, spent the rest of the day feeding ducks and chasing the granddaughter around, think a long run would have been easierimage did two miles on the treadmill ( told it was the same one Obama used) then swam a mile in the pool. Will get my long run in tomorrow, it's great as I can now change things about as I don't have to get up for workimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- sounds like a busy timeimage Just thinking to myself about how many miles I could log without work!image Happy Retirement, mate!image

4.25m recovery run done and dusted to round off the week. A pleasing week with the 1 hour sub 2.45 MP session, the pace of the pyramid intervals and the weekly mileageimage Next week- recoveryimage 

Weekly stats: 107.06m in 13.33.00 (7.36 av)

• Options

Definitely hardcore Fiona!image
    Great report - (almost) felt we suffered the pain with you!

Lazy w/e here with quiet on call. Weather not great either.

Jim - good 14

mace - just assume kid's teacher handed it to you image
    and your PB clinched the deal!

MG1 - the joys of the varies of British weather! Well done!

SM6 - 2:03 last week on a hot day, a minute faster than last year, but not under the 2h. Son took 1st prize in 1h12m55. I had hoped to do a little better but that was probably unrealistic after Dirty30. Analysing, I was doing OK up to the top of the big hill (mile 7), but then made the mistake of forcing my pace down the other side which slowed me up in 2nd half.

AGF - a long first LR indeed!

JD - impressive training withe the occasional parkrun thrown in)image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on the 14m - good to see the improvements image

IJ good run today and well done on the increased mileage

MG nice steady 5 miler

Stuart how did you lose weight on holidayimage - oh, yes, the hillwalkingimage.  What was the advice you posted a few weeks back about shoulders and press-ups?

Fiona you deserved the rest dayimage

Jason well done on the 18m and the recovery run. Great week's stats!!

NP well done on Obama's treddie and the swim. Hope the LR goes well tomorrow, and happy retirementimage

OH hope you managed to put your feet up a bit

---

Finally plucked up the courage to do the press-ups...23/ 28/ 23/ 23/ 33 = 130, 2 min recoveries.  The last set was really hard.image  Max rep test for the next session...

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP sounds like you had a great weekend and the training can really begin now!! image I'm sure you gave the treadie a better workout than Obama did!

Another quality week there Jason. Nice.

OH nice to have a relaxing weekend when it's rubbish weather but you have been busy with races recently. Two weeks 'til Harris. image

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Oh and GFA entry opens tomorrow. imageimageimage

Cross post Teknik, well done with those press ups!

F

• Options

one useful achievement this weekend - have replaced web browser on my (htc hero Android) mobile. can now contribute to forum using my mobile again image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Looks really high tech OH! image

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH- I need a wider screen now! image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Fiona, well done on what sounds like a brutal event, great report too, hope you have thawed out completely

Tek, another great week and long run/press ups today, 

NN, glad you could run after your gym class good run today

IJ, good mileage for the week well done with the long run today

MG, another good run from you well done

SM6, well done get some runs/hill walking in on holiday  

Jason, great stats for the week

NP, good luck with the long run tomorrow, well done with the swim and treadie run

OH, lol browser needs a word wraping function

--------------------------------------

managed to get some cricket in on Saturday..... 2 overs before the heavens opened and that was the end of that.  Decided to get my long run out of the way, it is the very first time I've ran long in the evening , at least it wasn't raining, Garmin blip from mile 14, it couldn't record anymore laps so lost a mile before I deleted some old activities.

Stats 17 mi, 2:53:xx, @ 10:50mm, 139(73%)

Weekly Stats: 45.8mi,  7:41:36, 10:18mm 145(76%)

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stewart- it is a pain but you candelete old runs while training. Just stop the watch go into history, select delete oldruns and away to go

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Jason, thanks for the heads up I didn't realise

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

AGF - image ... i really don't enjoy the heavy sessions nowadays and they're becoming few and far between. Not sure if that's an age thing or the running, probably a bit of both

Fiona - good stuff, sounds like a right slog. Sorry, but i had to chuckle at " ... wanting to haul me off in an ambulance and i could hardly talk " But you know that's going to do you good image

Tek - impressive pressing again, 33 on the last rep is good going and i'll have a few quid on you hitting a good 50 on the maxt test

NP - RETIRED ??? I thought that was next year ? Obviously i haven't been paying enough attention image

Stewart - can't imagine 2 overs being enough of a fix image

A bit more than planned for last week's cutback @ 41M which included the parkrun pb then a series of 5 Freedom parkruns yesterday ( Shorne Woods - which wasn't marshalled and we got lost image, Maidstone, Whitstable, Margate and Pegwell Bay ) Yesterday was meant to be all easy but i ended up doing 1 @ easy, 3 @ MP and 1 @ Threshold ... naughty boy image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Still no GFA entry.....

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

jason, as in no confirmation ? what's the process/deadlines ?

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done on the technical adaptationsimage

Stewart sorry about the cricket (again), but well done on the controlled long run, and great week's statsimage

mace nice cutback week - the multiple parkruns sound like a fun ideaimage

Jason - do the GFAs get oversubscribed too?

---

7m easy for me this morning, all ok here.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Just called VLM and the link should be up a bit later today. image

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason thats some stats for a weeks training, bloody fantastic but think it would break me at my old ageimage....

OH think I need a wider screen on my Ipad image not sure whats going on there.

Teknik well done on todays run and yesterdays press ups, I still cant do them since I broke my wrist last year.image Just cant put the weight down on it when it's bent.

Fiona hope you warmed up and the legs are ok.

SC well done on the long run and nice stats for the weekimage

Mace great weeks stats and thats a great park run mateimage

Well the next 5 weeks of training like a pro so this morning I got the OH to drop me off in Belfast and ran home, it's only right that I make sure she still gets in to workimage I'm going to do this a couple of times a week as it's a nice run finishing with a big hill at the endimage so 13.66 miles avg 7:36 pace.

Weeks Stats 43.5 miles running 1 mile swim, injury freeimage and starting to flowimage

• Options

Fiona, Your made of hard stuff. Is it determination or stubborness that drove you in in that rain and cold. Well Done and as others have said a great report.  I met the change of race made a nice change !!  I am not sure how many long runs will do - but hope to get 6+ in. We will see.

Teknik, Thanks W.r.t heart print. It make it look easier than it felt image A nice long run for you too and super running for the week - good pace overall.

NN, 7 mins quicker then 4 weeks ago shows some serious progress in your running. Top stuff. hope the ankle is now a thing of the past !!

Iccle Jim, Well done on the week. 14 is 14 no matter how fast !!

Stuart, sounds like a nice holiday in Morrocco. Well done for managing to get a few runs in whilst awa y- shows good dedication that image

Jason - awesome running .....again and nice Parkrun win too.

NP, congratulations on your retirement. I know you have been looking forward to it - so I hope you enjoy it !!

OH - Lazy weekends are good every now and again.  and after some of your long runs/races you deserve it.

Stewart - well done on the 17 miles and avoiding most the rain !

Mace - I hear you. !!!  However 5 parkruns in 1 day sounds like a similar type of punishment - especially when you run all of them quite fast !!

All "ok" here. 5 miles yestreday and 7 miles this morning. hoping for another 60+ mile week this week image