2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• more eating today! bbq party while we all sorted flights and hotel and race entries for the Palma marathon. Probably ate another 2000 cals - I'll enter details on MFP.

Looks like LSR will be 15...

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Blowing a gale here this morning so may just do an easy run then leave anything with effort for tomorrow.

Nice consistent running Stewart.

Good luck Teknik and jason with the races today.image

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

LOL at your clean flat comment.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.  No parents today which is just as well because we were both stressed out by my folks and it leaves us to enjoy the F1 grand prix in peace.  Had a really good birthday present/treat from Chris this morning.  Double McDonalds breakfast! 

• Competing for slacker of thread award! lazy morning today after travelling to Harris yesterday (Got here at gone 11pm so not feeling too guiltyimage )

cool and windy (and boat was a bit bumpy)

brand new school in Tarbert but little else changed since we were last here over a decade ago. Relentless uphill on first half of HM!
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF another big run - well done on the 21 milerimage

MG that's a good run, well done

NN good easy recovery - in (lame) answer to your question, "it was in the plan..."image

Fiona well done on the 13 - hope you're felling better

Stewart nice couple of five milers, hope the LSR went ok

IJ good luck on the LSR today

HM happy birthdayimageimage

OH that's sounds like a tough course...

Jason hope your 10k went better than mine...

----

In short, too hot (26C), too hilly, was barely scraping HM pace, felt sick and as the route went past the car park at 3.5m, I CBAd and walked off the race.  This is becoming a habit...

Week's stats : 65.3m in 9h38, 8:51 av. pace @ 70% avg.maxHR

• NN hope the runs went well

Jason / tek hope the races went well today

Stewart good 5 yesterday, hope the run went well today

Slow 8 m at 9.09 for me this morning , legs felt good after the 19 yesterday so happy, 40 m for the week under the belt.
  • LSR was slow image, even sluggish image, achey image and baking hot image. Not enjoyable, and I cut the end short by a couple of roads just to get back quicker. Route should have been 15, I did 13.85 which isn't too bad.

16 weeks to race day imageimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks & well done to you.

IJ & MG,

Well done.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- sorry to hear about your raceimage

blowing a gale here and as the route is along an exposed coastline it was never going to be a pb day...And so it proved. I too managed around half marathon pace- Think I was around 12th in 37.38 by my garmin. Still, 43 secs slower than my pb in the wind and the 4 hills and at the end of a 400m month is not too bad at this stageimage

• Afternoon.

quick post before afternoon nap to recharge batteries for work tonight.

Fiona hope the weather improves for you, nice 13  out the way though so an easy day wont hurt.

HM4 looks like you are not only in competition for thread slacker but also thread seeing who can eat the most...lol..only joking..happy birthday  x x

OH what goes up must come down ..sounds a tough run,

Tek strange plan I must say !! you did nearly 9 miles yesterday and over 60 for the week...!! never mind, 

MG1 nice run especially the day after a 19 miler, well done on the 40 for the week

Jason, great time and overall position in windy conditions...and 400 miles for the month, awesome..

Bit warm and blustery here too, felt quite strong on my long run though, I made sure I go some serious hills in ready for some hilly races coming up....there was some cycling event going on and I kept being passed in all directions by bikes for the whole run, it was nice though lots of "hellos" and "hi's" made a lonesome run a bit more sociable, someone even gave me a flapjack at a feed point, I think they thought I was running the 55 miles , I didnt like to turn it down...lolimage

14.25 in 2.17 AVEhr 74% happy with that..

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse, it would be rude not to image

Jason, still a great time, nice one

Tek, if it helps any I was out at 7.30 planning on 14 and ended up cutting to 12.5.. Too hot even at that time and I struggled. Don't let it get you down mate. Think thbe got me a 49M week and the OCD police will be round with a straight jacket soon image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- nice to have company- especially company with flapjacks (all those carbs thoughimage)

mace- too hot at 7.30?? It is like winter here today!! Has anyone got any good running weather?image

4m recovery run to round off the week and the monthimage

Weekly Stats (recovery): 74.96m in 9.28.02 (7.35 av)

Monthly stats: 409.60m in 51.47.05 (7.35 av)

Next month is the first FULL marathon training monthimage

• Force 7 and coolish here in Harris.

yes NN the last 4.5 miles are pretty much downhill
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG nice 8 miler, and well done on the week's 40

IJ well done for slogging out the LSR

Jason well done at your windy 10k. Awesome monthimage

NN warm and windy - nice LSRimage

Mace image LOL image  Nice week's training

OH that's a little blusteryimage

---

End of the month!  17 weeks to go.  Month's stats 265.7m in 39h19, av. 8:53mm and 72% avg. maxHR.

• Tek - Nice total this week and month. Shame about the race today, but again it's better to bail early if things aren't going to plan.

Jason - Those numbers are ridiculousimage Well done on the 10k too!

Mace - Good run this morning.

NN - Haha, sounds like a nice run today. Wish someone would hand me food when I was out. Looks like you had a similiar run to me today, windy and pretty humid here.

IJ - Well done on the 14

MG - Good training this week

HM - Happy birthday. McDonalds and F1 sounds a good birthday to me!image

-------

14.08 miles @ 8:50/mile ave

Windy, humid and a bit too fast. Unexciting, which I suppose is goodimage

40.0 miles @8:56 this weekimage Pleased with that.

122.0 miles @9:16 this month, plus 22 hoursimage of hillwalking. Not enough gym time however, need to sort that out next month.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

SM6- nice runningimage

OH- sounds familiar....

tek- good month for youimage

just found out that i was 2nd vet and 1st county resident today. Shame I didn't stay for the presentations! Lol!

• 400 miles Jason, well done mate! I've a few mates becoming jealous of your mileage now!

mace - 49 for the week is good mileage, and as a recovering OCDer I'll allow it so long as it was 49.00 miles!!!

HM, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! image

Stuart, you beat me today! nice one! I got you for the month though, 163 for me for June, and 919 for the first half of the year. Not bad as last year was about 1030 and my only other year over 1000 was 2011 with 1170!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH it was into a Force 6 last year! image Never mind it'll be fun, I am looking forward to it image  but I'll pass on the cooked breakfast on the boat, been told about the fried eggs sliding about on the plates when the sea is choppy! imageimage

Nice stats Teknik, sounds like you are a bit under the weather the last few days. Onwards and upwards to Frankfurt! image

MG1 that's a good run the day after your long run.

Impressive stats Jason and well done on the placing especially with so many miles in the legs. I did think it would be 400, amazing for a month! imageimage

Good running NN and nice work getting a flapjack! image

Sounds like the heat took it's toll - Teknik, NN, IJ, mace (49m !? image) 15 or so degrees here I think but really windy.

A good run there Stuart and good stats with the walking too.

Happy Birthday HM4! image

I hope NP is feeling better.image

5 miles for me easy and just noticed I've done more miles than last year so far (I did have months out last year with the piriformis but looks good!) Another 50 mile week and stats for the month 206 miles, time 27:49:06, Av HR 163,  Av pace 8:06mm.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Right didn't get on here yesterday ran concrete part of a concrete path home shower sleep.... Knackeredimage

AGF well done with the long run mate image

MG1 another great long run imageand well done for getting out today.

NNwell done with the recovery run, and a nice long run for you todayimage glad you enjoyed the flap jacks.

Jason well done in tough conditions that's still a great result mate and 2nd vet

SC good couple of days running

Teknik sorry to see how the 10k went mate but I know how you feel, sometimes It's our heads that need more training, but it will come back.

Jim well done with the long runimage

Mace OCD police will be calling on you soonimage

SM6 nice long run mate.

HM4 happy birthday.

Fiona another great weeks running and nice to see you up on last year.

Well bad day here still have the head cold and after yesterday's digging up concrete and lifting about 3 tons and taking it to the tip, I woke up a little on the sore/stiff side but had arranged to meet up with my mate for 15 miles. But this turned out to be hard from the start running into a stiff wind I called it a day after 13 miles and walked the rest.... So even a silly old git like me can still get it so wrong. I should have gone short today.....

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Or gone back to bed NP! Get well first!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona and IJ- nice mileage you two! image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Take care NP, rest is no bad thing when unwell (as opposed to concrete breaking, carrying and running!! image) It's a real pain when things don't go to plan but you'll be flying again soon.

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

I still had lunch at the same time image!

Stuart,

It has been.

-----------

Thanks for the birthday wishes & well done on everyone's training.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Fiona, very windy out today, great stats for the week and month

HM, didn't watch the GP but by all accounts it was a great race, now that the kind of double I likeimage 

OH, good to take a break, Harris HM sounds interesting

Tek, tough conditions for your race today, great stats for the week and month

MG, another good run, nice stats for the week

Jason, wow a lot of miles this month, and a decent time on tired leggs well done

NN, nice stats for your hilly run

Mace, was warm here today but with a cooling gale I was glad to turn into it every now and then, 

SM, another with good stats for the week and month and that is a lot of hill walking, your legs will be very strong after all of that

IJ, won't be long before you're through the 1000 miles

NP, rest up mate 

------------------------------------------

15 miles and I was not feeling it today couldn't get motivated, but I got my behind in gear and got it done. windy up here toady made the run harder than it should have been

Stats: 15:04mi, 2:42:23, @ 10:48mm, 144(75%)

Week 38.4mi, 6:42:28, @10:28mm, 143(75%)

Month 181.8mi, 31:12:01, @10:18mm, 147(77%)

• IJ, Palma marathon sounds good to me !!

tek, your 3 miles took you over 1500 for the ytd, ....that bang on target for 3000 for the full year ( silver linings ),

Mg - That was a great lick for 19 miles - great work!

Jason - well done on the 10k. so 400 miles is not full marathon training - LOL  I look forward to next months stats...

NN- thats a very good 14 indeed, and it sounds like a run you enjoyed - double bubble !

Mace - thats good stats therapy. I have now weened myself off every mile must end in x.00 and feel better for itimage

Stuart - a very solid weeks training in a cracking time too....your training is really doing well.

Fiona - another 200+ month means that you will probably PB in Amsterdam without trying image

Np - Shit happens. your cross training on Saturday sounded "hard core" so I am not surprised your knackered.

Stewart- well done for winning the battle with CBA.....a cracking run !!

Well 70 miles for me last week. Think the average pace was about 9:30+ though - so very slow - but I just want the miles at the moment. Speed in August is the plan.

Another 7 miles this morning (7.35 to be exact) and will try to do a joglet later today.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart well done on the 14m, and good that you hit 40m this week - awesome hill-walking total as wellimage

Jason well done on the placings! Shame you didn't stay for the bling...

IJ well done on the month's total

Fiona nice easy 5 and great stats for the month - cracking paceimage

NP I think you should take a rest and shed the head cold.image

Stewart well done for sticking out the 15m.  Really good month's work, tooimage

AGF 70 miles! Good workimage.  Nice easy 7.35m this morning.

----

Decided to turn off the Confederations Cup last night and get some more sleep.  Feeling much better this morning, and did a 7m sub70% max. recovery.image

• 10 mile bike ride home, 45 mins and top speed 36mph down the hill. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But all that effort for just 370 calories? UNFAIR!!!! oh well, means I can have some sausages for dinner!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

Didn't do a double today however did do a slow 4.35 miles and hope to get out on Thursday evening.

• shame about the 10k Tek but sounds as if you've put it behind you now.

JSN good effort and just rewards (even if you didn't wait for them !image )

StewartC good long run in the wind

FionaC looks like wind might be behind us on Saturday image we might need it!

12.6 mostly on hill paths today. Quite a few ups and downs. Pity the postman who regularly used to walk the first 4 miles of this until they built a road to Rhenigadal.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stewart- the tough long runs where they feel like hard work are the ones that pay dividends on marathon dayimage

AGF- nice mileageimage

Tek- I too am trying to get more sleep this week- makes such a difference. After all, it is while we are asleep that our body makes the improvements from the stress caused by the training....image

OH- nice run- I bet the postman was a great runnerimage I know a couple of postmen who run well- the time on the feet must helpimage

Seems like I will get my bling- the 2nd lady home yesterday organises our Parkrun, and she has asked the organiser of the 10k to bring the trophies along to PR image

Nothing much to report here- 5.7m recovery run this morning and 8.xx easy pace this evening. Legs were a bit stiff from yesterday's 10k for the first 3m this evening, but loosened up after thatimage