2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps no running Monday or Tuesday here but did more concrete breaking, more of that laterimage

Fiona I hope your feeling better and the blisters are also starting to heal, how long will you have to wait for the new orthotics?

Mace I felt the same on Monday and Tuesday.

Teknik that's a great couple of days training mate well done on your long run todayimage

MG1 that's a great double days training well done mate.image

SC that's a great two days of training for you mate.

SM6 nice running, you been looking atmy plan?.....(park run for speed)

Jim well done on the xcountry.

Well change of plan here due to how I feel and time left between now and the games, did 6 miles steady yesterday and a full days work digging, today was half a day digging and 6 miles on the trails. 

I don't think I'm going to be in half marathon shape I've had an issue with my hip and pirisforma and its back even after two visits to the physio so the plan is 5000m, followed by 5000m cross country and then the biathlon which is 3x1mile and shooting.after Monday I will start to introduce shorter faster stuff and from this Saturday do the Park run. Hopefully my times will come down over the next four weeks and this Saturday will be a base line marker. Long runs will be max of 8 miles and will be my hill twice a week. so that's the plan.....

• sounds like a good "back to square one" plan, NP

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona hope you're feeling better today

IJ nice gym work and well done on the club XC

HM well done on the run after work - I'm always too knackered in the evenings

Stuart nice windy 6.3m...PB attempt tomorrow?

MG blimey two hours of hard cross training ! Well done ! image

NP glad you're getting some runs in, in between the concrete breaking!  Good luck racing tomorrow.

---

Normal Friday here - massage, 90 mins toasting in the yoga room, then a 5.5m heavy legged recovery. Boy it's hot out there.image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

On top of NP and Stuart's Parkruns, here's the Race List

06/07/13      Harris Half                       OH, Fiona C
    06/07/13      Charmouth 8m                Night Nurse

Good luck everyone!image

• My next races are:

• Eccup 10 miler on Sunday (just outside Leeds)
    • Heckington 10 miler on 27th July
    • Lincoln 5k on 31st July

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ I've added your races...

On top of NP and Stuart's Parkruns, here's the Race List

06/07/13      Harris Half                       OH, Fiona C

06/07/13      Charmouth 8m                Night Nurse

07/07/13      Eccup 10m                      Iccle Jim

Good luck everyone!image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona and OH good luck with Harris half tomorrow.

NN good luck with the Charmouth 8m

Jim good luck with the Eccup 10 m

Well just a short recovery run of 4 miles for me this morningimage

• NP - At least you got out todayimage Your plan for August sounds good too.

IJ - Good luck on Sunday! Nice run last night too

Tek - Good training today. Tomorrow won't be an attempt at a PB, I will be taking it outimage

MG - Sounds like a tough double last night. Well done.

-----------

Planned 10 miles today after the tennis. Doesn't look like it's going to happen now... May go for a couple of miles later, but the plan for the rest of the weekend will be parkrun + gym/10/14. I'll be a day behind but as I plan an easy week running up to Dundee in a couple of week it won't matter.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

I'm having horrendous technology problems at the mo and 

will catch up with today's posts tomorrow when they're sorted hopefully!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Sorry guys, finding it hard to fit in running with work at the moment- will catch up with posts over the weekend. Just to wish Fi and OH the very best for the halfimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN and IJ - best of luck with your rces tooimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good luck wishes all! Know what you mean Jason, all a bit hectic here too. Just got supplies for tomorrow.

That sounds like a good weekend plan Stuart.

Sounds like a hot day Teknik - inside and out!

NP 4m is a good recovery run! I hope the hip is no worse.

Hope everyone has a good weekend running and relaxing. image Setting off at 6:15am tomorrow and will be back after midnight. I hope the weather is improving OH, a beautiful sunny evening here but still windy! image

Good luck NN and IJ. OH see you tomorrow, image I will be wearing a turquoise t-shirt, gilet, black shorts and bright green Saucony Fastwitches (unless I change my mind in the morning!!) and no Garmin!

F

• Baking hot 6 down the hill, along the river to the pub and back again. Then pilates.

Sausages and salad nowimage

• Morning.

Sorry,  not  been here for a few days, one of those weeks when I didn't seem to have time to sit down !!.

NP your plan looks pretty sensible, seems like life it busy and we have to do what we can , whats with the concrete breaking, whats all that about that for ? sorry missed a few days

Tek  hot yoga indeed, and you could do it in the garden at the moment

SM6 Have a good park run run  and enjoy your longer run tomorrow .

IJ mmm Pilates then sausages , must try that one, image

Good luck Fiona OH and IJ with your races, as for mine well image nice and hot and sunny while climbing the Golden Cap which just happens to be the highest point on the South coast, hey it will be an 8 mile PB even if I stop and have picnic half way round as I have not done 8 mile race before image

see you later, have a great day in the sun,image

• Hi Guys,  I too have not been around much, Apologies for that. Have been working or runningimage Nice to read up on whats going on. 

I hope all the illnesses, blisters and Minor injuries clear up and people have a good weekends running. Looks like some races are on the cards so I look forward to the race reports to hear about the frolics in the sun image

Things are well here. Just ticking on with some slow running. Trying to do as much as I can, hopefully another 70 Mile week this week. 12 Weeks to Berlin !!

• FionaC - big beard, crooked nose and no hair should stand me out amongst the wind swept drenched creatures. Eclectic blue Mizunos.

3 of us down from Orkney - Elspeth and Liz making up the other 2

Hope you don't have too bad a crossing!
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- congrats on the PB then, whatever happensimage

8.14m done this morning, including leading the troops round at Parkrunimage

Good luck to all the racersimage

• First things first, good luck OH, NN and Fiona. Meant to put that in my post last night, but forgot!image Sorry guys!

AGF - Good to here things are going wellimage

NN - It's good knowing your certain to PBimage 8 miles sounds a strange distance though.

Fiona - Sounds like an interesting colour combination for today!

---------

4.something with parkrun in there. Had garmin issues so not sure of the time. It's given me a time of 20:29, which is wrong. Think I'll be credited with 20:4x, this PB is proving harder to shake off than it should be. 

Went out too fast and struggled towards the end. Heat didn't help eitherimage Hope the times get posted quickly todayimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN and IJ - best of luck with your rces tooimage

• Best wishes to all the racers this weekend

SM6 a warm park run for you!

Jason nice 8.1 bet thE troops were warm if they were following you arounfimage

AGF thats a great weeks work , nice one!

NN hope the golden cap is gentle on you in the heat

Well that was a warm one this morning - 18 m at 8.40 av started off to quick then slowed to a sensible pace in the heat then finished with 3 quick miles so happy with that. Now off to friends wedding and trying to rehydrate , first of two weddings in two weeks, should be fun!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Right, time to catch up.....

Tek,

This is when I've got to get out if I want to run during the week as I don't have enough time in the mornings as we don't set the alarm any earlier than 6am unless it's needed for going away on holiday.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training and good luck for the weekend's races.  The technology problems have been sorted with a new laptop.  The trackpad & mouse buttons started to get over sensitive and it was a nightmare to use the laptop even when I plugged a mouse in.  The old one will be repaired with new keyboard etc & be used as a spare.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice recovery jog yesterdayimage

HM hope you get the stuff sorted

AGF good luck this weekend for hitting another 70

Jason nice running this morning

Stuart fingers crossed on the Parkrun timeimage.  Not easy in this heat...

IJ nice hot 6m - going to be really hot tomorrowimage. Good luck !!

MG super pace on your LR in this heat!  Enjoy the rehydratingimage

NN/Fiona/ OH I'm looking forward to the reportsimage

---

I've managed to CBA all week n the press-ups...must try harder.  8m for me this morning - 3m on the road alone, then 5m in the woods with the club.  Nice to see our 4 Ironmen (3M, 1F) back from IM Austria.  Nope, not tempted...image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM cross post - glad you're sortedimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

You're not the only one.  I don't know how my old laptop didn't go flying across the lounge.  Had it been Chris it would have happened, however Chris has just said it was a very close thing.

• wet 13.1! but good tail wind image

came in at 2h02 by Garmin

FionaC did well (as expected)

I predictably finished up in the harbour (well couldn't get much wetterimage )
  • MG1, well done for a good 18. I'm kinda glad my rin tomorrow is limited by a finish line at 10 miles!

Had a lovely day out today... cycled 4 miles to a pub across the city to watch the Lions rugbyimage unfortunately my weight loss plan was ruined by the Full Engish fry up with pints of shandy and pepsi and 900 cals of steak, bacon, sausage etc. Oops!

Then cycled 3 miles including a beast of a hill and parked at the end of the runway at RAF Waddington to watch displays by The Blades (4 small aerobatic planes), then the Red Arrows, then the Vulcan. Awesome.

Then cycled round the south of the airfield and back through the city. Total 21 miles and 700 calories burnt, so now I'm allowed some dinner!

• 20:46 - Not in the least bit amused with thatimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM Lol I know that feelingimage

OH well done at the Harris Half image

IJ sounds like a great day out !

Stuart - oh bugger image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Good luck to all the weekend's racers

Stuart, next time ....

Tek, that's a stonking 17+ fella

AGF  - big aerobic miles, great stuff.

NP - sorry to hear you're struggling, let's hope you're 100% soon

Make sure you hydrate well at the wedding MG image, well deserved after that 18.

Monday, Weds, Thurs off this week and i'll probably finish with around 30M but i think the extra rest was due and i've been sleeping for England image 

• Hi will catch up with all the posts later.

Had an amazing run, something totally different for me today, a real official FELL RACE !!. I was beginning to wonder if I had the done right thing entering what with the injury only just better, but I am fed up with not doing any races.

http://charmouthchallenge.co.uk/images/Charmouth%20%E2%80%98Challenge%E2%80%99%20Route%203%20July%202010%20Course%20Times_291259ZDEC09.pdf

not sure if that will work !! but basically we climbed to the Golden Cap, the highest point on the South Coast,

I cant write long race reports as I cant ever remember much but today is a race I wont forget

There weremany what I would call proper Fell runner types, I had to scrape around in the back of the shed to find something that resembled an off road shoe, not worn for about 3 years probably !!

Charmouth is part of the Jurassic coast and famous for the fossils, the beach looked awesome and there were loads of bathers and walkers supporting the sun was out and everyone seemed in such a great mood !

I started at the back temps high 20s here today !! and just plodded my way through the first couple of miles and was amazed to see people walking before .75 of a mile !! there was a 578m over 2.5 mile climb to start with then a very sharp descent over a miIe on gravel and grass and through nice smelly farm land am glad it hadnt been raining, it would have been treacherous then another 550 m 1 mile climb up the highest point !! I was still overtaking and I was determined not to walk and didnt until about 20 meters from the top Mace I think you said you had walked the Golden Cap before ? I had to stop, not to catch my breath but to admire the views , it was then I realised I hadn't really pushed myself but was pleased to feel so strong, but today was all about regaining my confidence with the ankle, once I got to that point I started to push a bit harder the worst was over, still plenty up sharp up and downs , I was holding off runners quite easily and one of the few that didnt walk most of the hills, I was less than 1 min behind a lady I would normally race in with and she said she had really pushed herself,the race finished at a school Fete where there was a Fire Engine and hey !!! we got hosed down by a hunky fireman a great way to cool down.

Not sure of actual time but 1.25 on the garmin 7.9 miles