2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Some great running in the heat peepsimage

SC well done yesterday it's not always easy, nice stats for the week.

MG1 well done on your 8 mile today.

Teknik well done on light weight Mondayimage

SM6 well done on your 9.5 miles not easy in the heat. take water with you.

Jason enjoy your run later.

AGF well done on another super double day.

Well it's official I'm now a pensioner image..... So after a visit to HQ I returned home got changed and moved another 2 tons, this was to be an easy job but the tarmac paths around the house have crazy paving under it and I've had to remove that as well, another couple of days and all the ground work will be done and I can ease up a little and spend more rest time and quality running. On a plus side my core is now solidimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great report OH, hope you had a good trip home. image

Can't believe you are a pensioner NP, far too young!! image Nice parkrun and glad that your head cold has gone.

The 6 miles sounds like a plan HM4. As you do not like the wet/cold you must be loving this weather! image

Stewart I have thought of catching the bus out to Drum and running back, is that what you did? Nice run but that is a very tough hill, I walked the other way and really struggled on the downhill as so hard on the knees!

MG1/AGF good morning running.

Teknik hope you enjoy the recovery week. Mine was not meant to be but just ended up that way! Feel better for it as I was getting progressively more tired and struggling a bit with everything not just the running.

Stuart hope you recover ok, it is hot and we are certainly not used to it! Hope it cools down for your run Jason.

I was thinking a lot of folks would be struggling in the heat as I even felt it hot. One of my few runs in shorts and t-shirt this year. Decided to wear my old Fastwitches tonight, just love how they feel so must get used to the new ones and start wearing them more on training runs. 7 miles steady for me tonight.

F

• Warm but not hot here.Travelled back in the heat yesterday. Uig SYHA was very full with non British hostellers staying up until 1:30 in dormitories making a racket with lights on so not much sleep. image Next time B+B!
    Just a lazy day todayimage

• Thanks for the lovely warm welcome everyone image . Got my run in early this morning - it was pretty warm but i felt strong throughout so it wasn't too bad. Training for Amsterdam mara in October.  I think the squash game tonight did me in though.....might have some sort of lie in/down tomorrow

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I hope I do however the A3M is currently closed northbound due to emergency road repairs and the police don't know when it's going to be open which meant a fun drive home tonight.  Chris thinks the road may have collasped however with it being such a major road I don't think they will hang around repairing it.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• and another welcome Channonimage

• Good running boys and girls!

I ran the Eccup 10 yesterday - ten miles of hills and heat. Tried to push as much as I could, aiming to match my PB pace and struggled to do so... some miles were better than the target pace, some much slower. With 7 miles in 59:00 I had to run 25:10 for the last three to match my PB, and with more hills to come, doubted it. Last mile gave me a target of 8:30, which still meant pushing as most of the last mile was uphill! Got it though, 8:05 for that last mile and a shiny sweaty PB with 22 seconds spare. Lovely ice cream to celebrate!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

Thanks.  The twitter feed from Hampshire Police said they didn't know when it was going to reopen.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- take it easy with all this concrete shifting at your age! image Enjoy your life of leisure!

OH- great report- sorry to hear about the lack of sleep!

IJ- fantastic to get a pb in those conditions- well done! I bet the ice cream tasted goodimage

HM4- hope normal service is resumed soon....

I got my evening run done at 7 yesterday- still really warm, but my steady pace and my recovery pace seem to have (quit suddenly) improved by about 30 secs per mile for the same effortimage Early morning recovery this morning at 5.30- perfect conditions then- hot here again now!

• IJ Well done image
    Sea mist (haar) in this morning - good bye sun image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, enjoy the cutback week, well deserved

SM, it has been very warm of the last few days, makes a pleasant change, don't worry about the missed miles better to be fit enough for your next session

AGF, nice double yesterday

NP, sounds like back breaking work, you will be looking forward to being a full time athlete,

Fiona, yes, caught the bus to Drum, some of the trail through the woods were so steep, there was no way I could run up it, glad I've done I though, well done getting the 7 done was still hot out early evening

OH, I hope you enjoyed your lazy day, and have caught up on your sleep, not so nice up north, hopefully the sun will pop out later

Jason, that is some improvement, looking at the forecast it going to be another hot one

-----------------------------------------

A late recovery run last night after a committee meeting, 4 miles easy along the river and back down the canal side, just what the legs ordered

4.16mi, 44:13, 10:38mm, 137(72%)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart I always run with a bottle belt - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chums-14012-Quad-Fuel-Medium/dp/B0039K55IA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1373367723&sr=8-6&keywords=fuel+belt.  Holds about 800ml, great if you hate carrying a bottle in your hand.

AGF nice double totalimage

NP well done on the official retirementimage, although you do have seemed to have picked up a sentence of hard labour!

Fiona nice steady 7m last night

OH with the sun gone - get some runs in image

Channon enjoy the restimage

IJ nice PB at Eccupimageimage - tough day for a 10m race !

Jason nice 7m last night - great to hear about the step-change on the paceimage, and well done on the early run today

Stewart well done on the controlled recovery run

---

Sunny here but there's a nice breeze, so lovely running conditions.  8.2m easy on the road for me, then 6m through the woods with a few pushes with the club.  Feeling good image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Updated race list is here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497 or here http://nrwoolnough.wix.com/2013-race-list

and here...

19/07/13      Chudleigh 10k                  Night Nurse
    21/07/13      Fairlands Valley Challenge Teknik
    21/07/13      Dundee Half                     Stuart M
    21/07/13      Dinosaur 10k                    Mace
    24/07/13      Skylark 3k                         Teknik
    27/07/13      Heckington 10m                Iccle Jim
    31/07/13      Lincoln 5k                          Iccle Jim
    02/08/13      World Police and Fire Games 5k  No Pain
    03/08/13      Orion Forest 5m            Teknik
    04/08/13      Totnes 10k                     Night Nurse
    04/08/13      WPFG Half?                   No Pain
    06/08/13      WPFG 10k XC                No Pain
    07/08/13      WPFG Biathlon               No Pain
    11/08/13      Salisbury 54321              Teknik
    11/08/13      Isle of Mull Half               Andi
    15/08/13      Exeter 10k                      Night Nurse
    17/08/13      Nairn Half                       StewartC
    24/08/13      Thames Meander Emmy
    25/08/13      Torbay 10k                     Night Nurse
    01/09/13      Great Scottish Half Spark, Stuart M
    01/09/13      Moray Half                      StewartC
    01/09/13      Thanet Half                     Mace
    08/09/13      Maidenhead Half           Johnas

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

08/09/13      Titanic 10k                      No Pain
    08/09/13      Dunstable Downs 20      Teknik
    15/09/13      Ingatestone 5m              Teknik
    15/09/13      Bristol Half                      Night Nurse, Sophie B
    15/09/13      Stirling 10k                     Stuart M
    15/09/13      Lake Vyrnwy Half          Jason D
    22/09/13      Tonbridge Half               Johnas
    22/09/13      Great Langdale Half      OH
    22/09/13       Pleshey Half                 Teknik
    29/09/13       Loch Ness                    Spark, StewartC, Andi
    29/09/13       Berlin                           AGF, Emmy, Kaz
    29/09/13       Folkestone Half           Mace
    05/10/13      Harwich Discovery 10k     Teknik
    06/10/13      Chester                          Pammie, Doc Pete, Jason D, HazLot
    06/10/13      Royal Parks Half            Johnas
    06/10/13      Jersey                            MG
    13/10/13      Cologne                         Emmy (Half); sevendaughters
    13/10/13      Great West Run             Night Nurse
    20/10/13      Birmingham Half            MG, Sophie B
    20/10/13      Palma                             IccleJim
    20/10/13      Amshterdam                  Johnas (Half); Fiona C; Channon
    26/10/13      Snowdonia                    Jason D, OH
    27/10/13      Frankfurt                       Teknik, Johnas, Emmy
    28/10/13      Dublin                            No Pain
    22/12/13      Portsmouth Coastal       Zoe Windsor

• Well done Tek on the updated race list,lus nice running earlier

Jason good earlier doors run image

Oh sea mist sounds nice to run in the 33 0c

Stewart c good little recovery run.

Rest for me today, been at an outdoor trade show all day in the hot sun, so feel shattered, back to it tomorrow night image
  • Tek - Good run today. Might need to get myself something like that, although it's only really needed when it's hot. And that isn't often hereimage

Stewart - Nice easy run last night.

IJ - Well done on the PBimage

Jason - Sounds like the pace is coming to you, good stuff.

Fiona - Nice 7 miler.

NP - I'm not surprised your core is solid after all that lifting over the weekendimage

OH - Hostels aren't really the best place if you're wanting anything resembling a sleepimage

----------------

Even warmer today than yesterday, didn't even considering running. Meant to be the same on Thursday and Friday so I'm going to have to try to run after work. Problem is it was still 17 degrees when I came in at half 7 this morning.

• rest day for me today but back on a run tomorrow. Does anyone know of running clubs/groups that run on wandsworth common or tootiing common on a Monday, wed or sat/sun please? Looking for some company on my runs - especially the long ones on the weekend. 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Channon  - try trawling through the links here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/running-club-in-tooting/wandsworth/clapham/145541.html

MG enjoy the night off !

Stuart maybe just slow it down in order to get some miles in without meltingimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jim well done on the 7 mile PB great running in the heat.imageimageimage

Fiona I know you love running in the heat hope your new trainers are going ok.

Jason great running sir, the concrete breaking is getting close to finishedimage.

OH Hope the sun burnt the mist off.

SC nice running mate.

Teknik great  running today mate and great lists, but not sure if I will be running another marathon this year, watch this space for some big life time changesimage.

MG1 is that flower powerimage looking forward to running in spring next year.

Channon sorry cant help with that.

SM6 we don't get to run in heat like this that often but its easy to get used to.

Well mad dogs and English men go out in the mid day sun, so at 1pm I did a 6 mile Fartleck session and was very happy with the result. image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH- I want your sea- mistimage

Stewart- nice recovery

Channon- try local running shop?

Tek- good running and listingimage

NP- I am intrigued now....

6m recovery for me at 5am when the weather was quite pleasant- warm by the time I finished! Waited until 7pm for the evening run- can't leave it much later as it interferes with sleep/ recovery and the morning run! Didn't do much good- it was still 24 degrees when I finished. Going to have to take a drink on tomorrow's MLRimage Still, happy with tonight's run- steady effort 8.16m in 55.25 (6.47 av)image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

It depends what you mean by normal service as I've now got 2 grazed & bruised knees and a grazed hand.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.  

Today's run wasn't along the beach and wasn't 6 mile.  Because it was so sunny this morning I decided on my usualy 5k route with 3 laps round the lake on Petersfield Heath (which is about a mile) however towards the end of the first lap round the lake I went flying over a tree root and now have to very swollen & bruised & grazed knees with a grazed palm.

• Thanks Jason for the advice and Teknik for the link. 

HM4 - Ouch! that sounds painful!

• baking hot 6 mile recovery run - we didn't do the sprints scheduled! I pushed the pace onece or twice but happy just to run a few miles.

Should be cooler tomorrow so hoping for a midweek LSR.

HM4, be careful!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Shame about the haar OH. image

Welcome Channon, in the far North here so can't help I'm afraid!

Well done on the PB IJ!

Fantastic pace improvement Jason, must be all the miles catching up with you!

Good catching up tonight Stewart, hope the ITB etc eases off.

Sounds a great run Teknik and nice list, I'll have to think about what I'm doing between now and Amsterdam.

MG1 being on your feet all day and making smalltalk is exhausting, I hope you recover well today.

Stuart I hope you get your run, meant to cool down a bit the next day or so.

NP also intrigued here...but you seem happy to be running in the sun! I love it too.image

HM4, ouch! I hope everything is fine!

3.5 miles this morning easy in the sun image at 6am then 7 miles with the group tonight - both runs in shorts and t-shirt and Fastwitches which made running down a gravel hill interesting! image

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- nice running- ru ning on gravel is fine- just don't brakeimage

• Out in the kayak. Played with a colony of about 30 seals this eveningimage

• Fiona and Tek , yes small talk about grass and grass seed is very tiring in the sun image