• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, great running yesterday, and a very low HR in this heat

MG, hope you enjoyed the rest day

SM, hope you can get out, certainly cooler in the late evening up here

NP, oooh the suspense, nice mad dog running from you yesterday

Jason, nice doubling again,

HM, ouch!, hope it is not too bad

IJ, nice recovery 6

Fiona, nice doubling from you too, hot out there yesterday a lot cooler this morning

OH, sounds like fun image

---------------------------------------------

Another JS sandwich 3 miles easyish before 6 with the group at close to tempo effort and 2 miles home, certainly a lot cooler by the time I finished but still very warm, happy enough with last night's session

11.1mi, 1:48:xx, 9:52mm, 148(78%)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice fartlek (in this heat !)...spill the beans !

Jason nice early recovery and speedy steady last night

HM on no, poor you!  At least you have a good excuse to rest up for a couple of days...

IJ well done on the hot 6m - hope the LSR goes ok today !

Fiona good early morning recovery and nice running with the club last nightimage

OH sounds great image

Stewart nice club sandwich - 6 @tempo is a tough run in this weather !

---

1m w/up then 7m at maraHR.  Came out as 7:59mm, so a 2 secs worse than Sundayimage, plus HR a bit higherimage.  I had intended to go out really early, but the Garmin failed to charge last night, and the delay meant it was a hot run...

• 2 secs over a mile is nothing Teknik image

NP - scuba diving career?

Welcome Channon.

Hi to everyone else. Keep up the good work. A rest day here image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason another great double yesterday and out early again todayimage

HM4 hope your ok and it won't put you off.

Jim nice running in the heat.

Fiona great double yesterday nice to see your out in your shortsimage

OH great to see your out on the water, I loved diving with the seals in Stranford lough a few years ago.

Teknik the HR will be up because of the heat, great running all the same.

AGF hope you enjoyed the rest day.

Well joined a new club and will travel up to Ballymena tonight to run with them, just finished digging out the footings for my patio walls that I'm building to going for a cold bath and showerimage

AFG spot on sir, I always wanted to open up my own dive school in Florida but the way things are at the moment that's a non starter. But when we where in Grand Cayman there where a few jobs advertised for instructors, its not about the money as the pay is crap it's about the way of life. Anyway I would need to be a PADI instructor, so looking further into it, I can do a cross over from Advanced diver and BSAC instructor. So the plan is to do that in Egypt at the end of November/December. That would then allow me to start applying for jobs image

• very interesting reading your forum. I am 70 years old with a half marathon best at 70 of 1hr 37min 04 secs in gale force winds. I am training for the Chester Marathon on October 6th. Fist marathon for 19 years my last on was 2hrs 44 mins 58 secs at 51 years old. Best 2hrs 32 mins 04 secs at 44 years old . Hoping for 3hrs 24 mins at Chester. Is this realistic or to ambitious. Running once a day on 6days a week averaging 44 miles per week but hoping to gradually increase to about 60 miles. What are your thoughts on twice a day running.

• Mel. Welcome.

i think you have this the wrong way around. With your talent, experience and wisdom I think it should be you giving the advice on this thread image. Tips hat ...

all the vest best with your target goal...

AGF

• AGF

always willing to learn from others, come on some advice

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek & NP,

It's not the first time I've gone flying running and I'm sure it won't be the last and I'm a bit tee'd off as I really want to get out running with this lovely weather.

Mel,

Welcome to the thread.   They are seriously quick times well done.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

The bruises aren't too ouch providing I don't kneel down on anything (and this includes memory foam).  The colour of the bruise on my left knee is awesome it's really come out quickly & my right knee is just starting to come out.  Chris has said that I'm likely to get a huge bruise on my hip as he can see the start of big bruise on my hip.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- sounds exciting!image

Tek- well done on the hot run! I can symathise as it got to me too!image

Mel- welcome and WOW! Cracking times! Carry on with what you're doing- it obviously works

HM4- glad no real harm doneimage

Change of plan this evening! Was supposed to do 12-13, but it was 28 degrees at 7pm without a breath of wind, so switched sessions around, running 8.01m in 55.17 (6.54 av). Got through 500ml of water as it was and looked like I had been thrown in a lake by the end!

• Good running folks

4.1 miles @ 10:31m/m for me tonight. Warm, but cooler than Monday. 10 planned for tomorrow, but looks like it's going to be utterly roasting. I'll see how I feel once I'm out.

• Jason, well done on the little recovery and tonights blast, great pace

Stewart C good 11 yesterday image

Tek nice run at good pace in the heat, whats 2 seconds image

Sounds good that NP

Hello Mel

SM6, good 4 , yes looks like another warm one

9 m for me at 8.34 av, quite warm but not like yesterday
  • Another change of plan - I wanted to do the club's rolling hills route then turn off and do an out and back extension to make it a god LSR. Turned off a bit early as I just had no energy and was running slowly so what might have been 18 miles was reduced to 11.5! It was still a good run as such, but not quite what I wanted!

My plan was to do 45 miles this week, but I think I'll let it drop - might still reach 40 though. 50 next week. Ook!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Just typed a long message and my internet played up so back to the start!

Welcome Mel! I do like doubles when in marathon training. It is meant to be easier on the more mature runner when trying to clock up the miles! Think we need some tips from you on how to get faster!! image

Well done all getting out on another warm day. 6 easy miles in the sun for me. Looking forward to a longer run in the sun tomorrow. image

NP, sounds like a great plan! image 

Have not given blood in years (turned anaemic and low BP) so made an appointment today.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Mel WOW  would love to hit them times, sounds like your well on track for a cracking time, tell us how you managed such great times in your 50's and 60's and what was your fastest race in your 70's to date?

Fiona nice running, hope the results from your check up are ok.

Jim well done for just getting out and running in the heat image

MG1 nice running image

SM6 enjoy your 10 miles tomorrow, we should all be getting used to the heat now.

Jason looks like a good session mate.

Well ran with the new club tonight which was a run out to a hill then hill reps on a loop, enjoyed this and even after yesterdays fartleck session I can feel a bit of speed coming back in to the old legs image

• Mel - based on current UK rankings your time when you were 51 would rank you 4th in the MV50 age group.

A time of 3hrs24 at 70 would put you comfortably at No1 - so ambitious but not ridiculously so.

• NP i am sure theres plenty of speed left in those legs image

4 m easy for me this morning, felt nice and cool image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

got the 12 miler done and dusted by 7.30 this morning, before it got too hotimage

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, got to expect the HR to be higher when it is hot, still a cracking MP pace

AGF, hope you enjoyed the rest day, well deserved you've been banging out those miles

NP, I'm sure you would make an excellent instructor, glad you enjoyed the club session and good news with the speed returning to the legs

Mel, welcome Mel, brilliant times I would also be interested to hear more about your running career

HM, good to hear it is only bruising hopefully you'll be fully recovered in a day or two

Jason, well done getting a run done in the heat, and getting your 12 miler done early this morning

SM, a good 4 mile run in the evening, expecting another hot one today

MG, well done with the 8 mile run and at a quick pace too, followed by a nice 4 mile recovery this morning

IJ, it is tough getting the long miles in in this heat well done getting most of it done

---------------------------------------

Went out around 7:30 last night for a 10 mile run, still very warm and hardly a breath of wind, kept it fairly easy,

Stats: 10mi, 1:41:19, @10:07mm, 143(75%)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF hope you enjoyed the rest day

NP love the plan ! Great idea image.Glad you enjoyed the session with the new club

Mel welcome.  Like the others said, fantastic times and I'm not sure I can advise.  I have a similar half time to you, and a similar goal, so I'd be interested to hear your progress. I don't double as my problem is endurance (lack of), so I work on longer, slower sessions.

HM hope those bruises aren't too painful todayimage

Jason well done on last night's sweaty 8m, and good early bird 12m this morningimage

Stuart nice 4m recovery last night

MG nice pace on your 9 miler, and good recovery this morning

IJ well done, I think we're all struggling a bit in the heat 

Fiona nice easy 6mimage

Stewart solid 10 miler last night, well done.

---

It was noticeably cooler first thing this morning, so I got the long run in - 18m @ 8:48mm, HR averaged 70%, last few miles had a 75% ceiling - so same pace as last week but HR 2% lower. image

• An easy 3.2 yesterday but slight ankle pain today. Thank goodness it's a bit cooler though. Trying to fit in runs around new baby's feeding times is actually a lot easier than I anticipated. Hopefully it stays that way.

Mel - amazing times! Really inspired me.

• Hi All thanks for the welcome Just a brief history of my running career.

Started running in 1981 after some of my work mates did the Bolton marathon. They all ran over 5 hours so I thought I could do better than that.The very same night went out in a pair of cut down jeans an old t-shirt and trainers. After 3 months with three weeks off through injury I ran the Barnsley marathon in 3hrs 19 mins 8 secs age 38. the following Easter I ran the Stockport marathon in 2hrs 58mins 49m secs then in the july Piccadilly marathon in 2hrs 44 mins 12 secs age 39. After that spent 3years running about 2hrs 50 plus mins then 2hrs 37 mins at Wolverhampton age 43.In 1988 I enteredLondon as an elite runner and ran 2hrs 34 mins 15 secs for 3rd o/45. However the year after in the form of my life I went through half way in 1 hr 12 mins 52 secs then at 18 miles the wheels fell off and I failed to finish.so not all is rosy. Since my 50s Im have had two long spells off with injury and illness but in 2011 stated training again. My current times as an o/70 are uk masters 5km championships 21.30 for 6th o/70. 10km 45.18 and half marathon 1hr. 37. 04. I do the park run and currently my best time is 21.20 for 82.68%. My training is a bit of how I feel but includes Lsd, intervals and tempo runs I am currently doing abou 42 miles a week but will start building it up to about 60, In my 40s I would do 70 to 80 miles a week. This Sunday I am running the Windmill Half Marathon at Lytham St A nees and looking for a good time. So there you have it just a brief history of my running career to date. Will keep you informed of my progress or lack of it. 

• Ran this morning 1 mile warm up then 3.68 miles at 7.15 pace then 2 mile warm down Looking good for Sunday

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mel,

That's awesome.

Tek,

My knees are quite sore still I'm hoping to go for a run at the weekend fingers crossed.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Mel - That is amazing. Those times at 70 are unreal, the vast majority of 25 year olds couldn't run those ( I know I couldn't when I was 25!). Good luck for Sundayimage

Channon - Well done on the short easy run yesterday, take care with the ankle though

Tek - Another great LSR, nice pace.

Stewart - That's a good low HR and decent pace for an easy 10. Well done.

Jason - Well done on the early 12. Wish I could get out at cool o'clockimage

MG - Nice pair of runs there

NP - Good hill running yesterday

Fiona - Another good couple of run yesterday and today

IJ - Well done on the 11.5, even if it wasn't the 18 you planned.

------------

A Garmin-less 9-ish tonight. I really don't do heat and humidity wellimage If the weather is like this next Sunday, I'll be doing no half marathon.

Tomorrow looks another scorcher, so non-running day. May hit the gym then pool. Parkrun Saturday then long/easy in some order on Sunday/Monday. First thing Sunday looks the best time for a longer run, or possibly even after sunset on Sunday evening.

Should hit 40 for this week.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mel- top running history!!image

Good running in the heat, guysimage

Sooo glad I got the 12 out of the way this morning! A 5.7m recovery run this evening- nice running nice and slow in the evening sun- just glad it wasn't longer or faster. Tomorrow is my recovery dayimage with 2 similar runs- so no early start tomorrow- well, not too earlyimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP looks like you had fun! Great that you can now run with a club.

MG1, Teknik and Jason sounds like you beat the heat today. image

Stewart nice easy 10 miles last night, js tonight? Met the Harriers on Tuesday and we ran back down the hill with them. A nice crowd and quite a few ladies around my pace! image

Channon and HM4 hope the niggles clear up.

Mel you are certainly a very talented runner, makes great reading.

Stuart the weather is never nice for long up here so I'm sure you'll be fine - or running into a gale and lashing rain!!

I took the day off today as noted above I'm sure this is our summer! Waited until the sun was properly up and out I went at 10am. Carried some water and had a great easy run on an undulating route, 14 miles at av pace 8mm. image Very happy with this weather.

F

• Interesting day with cricket.imageimageimage

Kudos to young (Aussie) Agar who turned the game around as 11th man in his debut test. Shame he didn't quite get his century (even if it is unpatriotic to say so image)
    7.75 miles for me tonight with JS on a warm evening. Discovered we'd forgotten to switch oven on for the tatties so had a quick trip to the beach to cool down.

Interesting read, Mel. thanks for sharing
    (I was born in Stockport and spent the first 18 years of my life there)

FionaC - impressive run in the heat (think I prefer Harris weather for running)

Nice double Jason_d

SM6 good you got the 9 in despite the humidity. Where's the half?

HM4 run at w/e might help disperse the bruisesimage

Hope the ankle niggle settles Channon

Tek Impressive to get 18 mile training run done the heat
    Likewise StewartC for your 10 miler

MG1 well organised to get (cooler) 4 mile done before 8am

NP With Mel on board, you've got no ground for retiring those old legs just yet image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Wow Mel that's some running history and good luck with the half marathon, there is a guy from Belfast at 53 won the Derry/Londonderry marathon in 2:30 which is a fantastic time for someone in my age group, but your times in your 70's are so more impressive. I problem most of us face is running injury free, if we can do that and be consistent that's when we are at our best band run the young guns in to the ground.

Hi one gear how's your running going?

Jason great 12 miles into the bank sir.

Sm6 nice running

SC that's a great rrun cannon nice running

HM4 let's hope you can get out, it would be a pity not to get out in this weather.

Fiona that's great running in the heat image

OH love the running and cool downimage

wwith after completing just over half of the footings I went out with a mate and ran up and down the Cave hill approx 8 miles and 90% on trails and approx 1200ft of a climb to the top image