2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ nice 5.4m. Sorry I should have said good luck for the race today image

HM glad you're ok

Jason 26" waist !image I think you need to google "running shorts for boys with unfeasibly large thighs" imageimage. Good luck at the Welsh champs tomorrowimage

Stewart well done on the 6 miler - great improvementimage. Good luck for the race!

---

Well I did drink too much last night but I still PB'd !!  20:29 for my local 5k Parkrun. 

Splits:

1m - 6:30(6:30/m) 173/182bpm
    1m - 6:46(6:46/m) 190/196bpm
    1m - 6:41(6:41/m) 199/201bpm
    0.09m - 31(5:36/m) 201/205bpm

That was the target for this year. Job doneimage

• Jason - 26" shortsimage What height are you? I weigh roughly the same as you, and 26 inches is closer to my quad measurement than my waist image

Stewart - Good running, nice that you're seeing a bit of improvement.

IJ - Good luck for the race

Tek - Great running, I'm rather jealous of some of the times you've been running recently, especially as only a few months ago I had marginally better 5/10/HM times than you. I think you've beat them all recently! It's all coming together nicely for Frankfurt nowimage

-------------

New trainers were staring me in the face so went out for a slow 5k last night. Then got really really drunk and slept in for parkrun, oops! I'll do 5 or 6 miles later, when I'm in a fit state to run!

Edit: 5.99 miles @ 8:48ave

Took out my 2nd new pair of trainers today and got really carried away at the end. Actually having grip under my feet for the first time in months felt good!image

• Never in my adult life have I worn a pair of 26" shorts, I may have just about squeezed briefly into a pair of 30" as I touched 18 ... and now ... wellimage

Triple for me today. 8am OW swim (early as County Show Day); 8 mile run at 9:30 then sea kayaking this afternoon. Rib sore but bearable.

Nice PB Tek image (obviously helped getting those joints well oiled image)

StewartC even slow miles are miles in the bank

Hope the 5 miler went OK IJ

FionaC - 7 miles on a treaddie - well done for sticking with it

SM6 I get bored in pool after 30 lengths ...image
    Too Drunk To Run  (RW offence? penalty: additional miles when sober? image)

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

SM6- I am 5 10 . Tut- tut at mossing Parkrunimage

Tek - excellent news on the PBimage Did you go off too fast in the first mile? If so, you might squeeze some more seconds off next timeimage

OH- sounds like a busy day! Glad rib seems to be on the mendimage

stewart- hope the race went wellimage

ij- looking forward to your race report tooimage

Parkjog for me this morning and glute still there, though getting better. trooed again this evening and felt nothing on an easy run. Think I will turn up early tomorrow and do an easy mile followed by some strides to see how it fels. If it is ok, I will race, if not, I will go for a long slow run....

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

It has been quite an eventful day, the youngest won a few quid at the highland dancing and I managed to miss a turn off and ran a bit over 10 miles image

The race itself was really well organised, there were only 91 competitors so a small field and it only cost 7 quid to enter.

The race started at the Games, three laps of the track and then out onto the road, I was pleased I manged to get round without falling on my face, the first few miles were on the road with a gentle climb out of the village and then onto some nice trail paths through the woods, the underfoot conditions were good, the path climbed steadily up until mile 4, and then it was down hill and back out onto the road got to mile 6 went through the marker and missed the turn off, it wasn't until I seen the 7 mile marker I knew I had made a mistake so I about turned and headed back, I was not at all happy with myself but I knew I had to just work a little harder overtaking runners I had prevously passed, the last three miles were really tough, I dug deep and started to pick off the runners ahead finally catching a guy I was running beside between mile three and four, it was a nice finish on the track and fortunetly I managed to get in before the mass pipe band would have block my way to the finish

splits: 8:41, 8:39, 8:52, 9:05, 8:07, 8:22, 8:25, 8:14, 8:08, 7:51, (0.35)7:17

Stats: 10.35mi, 1:26:53, 8:24mm, 168(88%)

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH sounds like a good day, I hope the rib continues to improve.

IJ did you get that PB?

Stuart, new trainers are great, like magic shoes! image

AGF hope you are feeling better?

NP how is the recovery going post World Champs?

Fantastic PB Teknik but the way you're running you'll PB again fairly soon!

Jason, great statement that about the inner Kenyan! image Good luck, hope the glute has settled.

Stewart how was the race?

6 miles for me this morning on the treadmill - typical that whilst reading last night got horrid cramp in my calf and still limping this morning hence the TM. No problem with it so 4 miles at 7mm. Then a 5m recovery run tonight. Had a great afternoon chatting to my friend's Dad up here on hols about his days as a coach and working with Spedding, Foster and others of that era! image Inspiring stuff.

F

• The five miler today was great! it was a guaranteed PB as I'd never raced 5 before, but still pushed the pace like a mad idiot. I managed the first two miles quicker than at last week's 5k and I've a feeling I was only a couple of seconds shy of beating that time at the 3.1 mile mark. Missed checking my watch at that point as I was busy spilling water over myself! Didn't think I'd slowed, but the 3rd mile had lost 12 seconds and another 12 slower for the 4th, though I picked up a bit for the 5th. It should be my last "fast" run for a while, so good to finish on a good one. 13th PB of 2013 and 11th in a row. Lovin' it!

7:09, 7:06, 7:19, 7:31, 7:16. Finishing time 36:21.

(that's an average pace of 7:16, compared with 7:07 for the 5k and 7:27 for 10k)

Tomorrow's 20 miler is gonna hurt!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Well done on the inch loss.  That would work out to about a size 8-12 waist for a woman depending on the manufacturers measurements.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training & good luck to those racing today.  I went for a run after work yesterday 2.46 miles and have a day of decorating planned (glossing the bathroom, & hopefully painting a couple of ceilings).

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart good 6 miler last night.  Glad you're enjoying the new trainers!image

OH lolimage.  Good day's training and good to hear the rib is a little better.

Jason hope the glute is okimage.  I think I did go off a bit too fast (but, then again, I always do...)

Stewart great racingimage and great report

Fiona nice treddie tempo and good recovery too. Hope the calf didn't play up last night.

IJ great PBimageimage.  Your training must really be paying off ! Good luck on today's 20

HM well done for getting the run in after work, and enjoy the decorating todayimage

---

Long run for me this morning.  The day started off sunny and warm but fortunately clouded over.  The run was 6 x (1m easy, 2m @ "MP"). Splits were 9:33 7:49 7:58 9:11 7:54 7:45 9:22 7:59 7:57 9:23 7:53 8:09 9:21 8:02 8:04 9:16 8:00 7:50.  The MP miles stayed under 83%max right to the end.image

Week's stats 69.1m in 9h46, 8:29mm av. and 73% avg.HRmax 

• 20.2 in 3 hrs 11. $H!T it hurts now!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ well done on nailing the 20image

Stuart - sorry, I forgot to say, I think your 10k time is safe for a while - no chance of me hitting that pace this yearimage

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, congrats with the new parkrun PB, I liked the way you did your long run today, and great stats for the week

SM, new trainers are nice well done on the runs 

OH, sounds like you've had a busy day yesterday, glad the rib appears to be getting better

Jason, glad the glute feels ok, 

Fiona, glad the calf turned out to be nothing more than cramp, well done with the runs

IJ, nice 5 mile run yesterday and getting out to do 20 today, recover well

HM, well done getting a run in

-----------------------------------------------------

4 mile recover run this morning the legs felt like lead during the first mile but loosened up nicely during the run, I've decided to ditch the long run today but will probably go out for a short steady run this evening probably around 6 miles

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Wow lots of reading back, had a couple of late nights at the athletes village and the closing ceremoney last night and didnt have time to post my runs on Fetch or get on here.

AFG hope your feeling better mate.

OH sounds like your feeling better with your triple training session yesterday.

Fiona great treadmill interval session then a double training day for you, sounds like your dad kept great company and would be very intresting talking to people who coached some of the greats. Did you get hime to sort you a planimage

Teknik great park running and a new PBimage well done mate and a great long run in the bank.

Jason love the inner Kenyanimage fantastic weight loss, I know what you mean about finding trousers to fit, even 30 inch are hard to find in the shops. But size 26 bloody hell. Some great fast sessions mate hope the glute is OK for the race today.

HM4 well done on your running.

SC Well done on the racing sounds like a nice family event.

SM6 how did the parkrun go in the new trainers?

Mace your right this running game is a funny thing, well done on the interval session and its more in the bankimage

Yesterday I did the Parkrun and took the 25 min train round for a few to PB so well done to them. Today I up and down my hill, funny but I have missed this over the last couple of weeks.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I've given up on the decorating today.  I forgot how much gloss stinks!

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Oh flippin eck !! I knew this would happen..a few days not posting and so much to read !!

Just quickly spotted NPs posts and reports from the games, well done indeed fabulous results, running ,jumping (diving) and very dramatic but great reading race report from the steeple chase..

OH and AGF hope you are feeling better.. please take care and dont do too much too soon

will catch up properly when I have read all the posts..

15 miles for me today in 2.23 nice and easy a few good hills ave hr 73%...longest run and highest weeks mileage (50) since march !!

10k race on Thurs image or in other words 6.2 miles at half marathon pace..lol..as thats as fast as I can run these days

• Rest day today. Rib a bit sore through night but OK today.

Probably doing local HM (Kirkwall) next Sundaty but will be treating as a training run (for Langdale and Snowdon)

29  years marriage celebrated quietly.imageimage

NN maybe not posting but you're certainly not training. Good luck on Thurday.

NP "Today I up and down my hill, funny but I have missed this over the last couple of weeks." possibly akin to coming back to coming back off a holiday to the comfort of home cookingimage

StewartC - sometimes you have to listen to your body
    (says he with vitual hands over his own earsimage)

Tek good long 18

IJ well done on 20.

JSN Hope the pain in the butt is improving

HM4 - hope you enjoyed yesterday's run.
    Maybee the smell of gloss paint will encourage you out again ... image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done getting out HM4.

Teknik and IJ nice long runs. Teknik that sounds a tough one with the MP miles, I would not have managed that today! image

Stewart sounds like the recovery running a wise move, you don't want to risk injury when running so well. image

NP great that you got some folks a PB! My friend's Dad is coming down to the club on Tuesday, he wants to meet the folks there.

Building up the miles nicely again NN.

OH/AGF hope the recoveries are going well.

17.15 miles for me this morning, the first long run with a couple of the ladies in the club. A great run, uphill to mile 8 and constant chatting then a nice downhill run back so easy pace - av 8:17mm and HR av much lower than recent long runs. image This was day 1 of my new plan. image 

OH Congratulations on the 29 years!! imageimage

F

• Hi all, missed some excellent running, victories and PBs in the last few days, good work all.

Finally back home today after 29 hrs of travelling but couldnt resist a little easy 4 to get the legs moving again, first run for 5 days, legs felt good considering, certainly easier running on firm surfaces than white sandy beaches, hopefully jet lag wont be too bad tomorrow .

Time for bed !
  • Fiona superb running as usual !

MG1 29 hours ! well done for getting out after that journey.

OH have you done Snowdon before ? its amazing

Tek just seen your long run on fetch !! a  brilliant run

Stuart C pity about that bit extra yesterday, a nice stong speedy finish though all those miles are making you very strong !

• MG - Well done on getting out after travelling for that long!

Fiona - Nice long run, great pace and a good low HRimage

OH - Congratulations of the 29 married years. imageMy parents 29th anniversary was just a couple of weeks ago.

NN - Looks a nice easy 15, and a good total for the weekimage Good luck for the 10k, I'm sure you'll manage it faster than HMP!

NP - Well done on the hill run, and good stuff on pacing for the 25 minute runnersimage I never got to parkrun yesterday, too hungover!

Tek - That looks a very tough run, I quite like the idea of it right enough.

HM - Well done on yesterdays runimage

IJ - Thats a good time for the 5 miles, and 11 PBs in a row is bloody good going. I think I'd have to race 11 new distances to manage that!!

Stewart - Well done on the 10 miler, even if you ran a wee bit too far! I take it the course wasn't signed very well?

I done the Dundee half a few weeks ago, and there was a full mara run alongside it. Apparently there was absolute carnage due to the poor sign posting of the course. The 1st women, and 2nd man supposedly both clocked up 28 miles...

-----------

12.18 miles @ 8:35 ave 163aveHR (81.5%)

I knew I was running a bit quicker than I should, but I actually expected my HR to be higher than that. It never crossed into the 170s oddly, so could pass that off as a longish MP run. Happy enough with that.

43.8 miles for the week, like NN, I think that's the most I've done since March. Albeit it was off 6 runs, I managed 40.6 from the 5 runs I aim to get in. Happy with that. Aiming for about 41-42 next week from 5 runs.

• some excellent running everyone. did a slow 12 yesterday ( 2:18 with some walking) and a meduim 5 this morning. Motivation is waning. Marathon in otober feels so impossible at the minute - the 12 yesterday felt so long and this mornings 5 was done with very heavy legs. When will my running start to feel normal again?

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Welcome back MG1! image

Stuart a good surprise to get a faster run at a low HR, nice! 

Channon we all go through times like that but it's all miles in the bank - just keep going and things will improve! image

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, good of you to be a pace runner at parkrun, nice hill work too

NN, thanks just hope I don't peak too early, nice low HR for your long run today, good luck with the 10K

OH, hope you have enjoyed your rest day, lol at the virtual hands over ears image, congrats with the 29 years too image

Fiona, my thoughts exactly, sounds like you really enjoyed your long run today

MG, welcome back, well done getting a run in after such an epic journey

SM, it was only a small sign next to the turn off, nice run today at a decent pace good mileage for the week too

Channon, I'm sure the mojo will return just keep at it

-------------------------------------------------

6 miles steady this evening started in the rain, but eased off after a couple of miles, only 10 for the day it was suposed to be 20 today, but I'll do that run in a couple of weeks, Nairn half next weekend plan to race this one if the conditions are right, so it will be an easier week for me

Stats: 6.23mi, 1:00:19, 9:41mm, 144(76%) 

Week: 57.3mi, 9:14:26, 9:40mm, 147(77%)

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening allimage Lots of good running, but I expect no less!image

OH- congratulations on the 29 yearsimage

Well I turned up to the 5k this morning early to try a warm up mile and some strides to see if my glute was ok- felt ok, but I was determined that I wasn't risking anything. As it happens, no problems except for slightly heavy legs, but this was just down to the hill session and the 10k track session this week- not the best 5k preparation- lol! Added to this was the course- fantastic and fairly flat for the most part- but coastal and totally exposed and, alas the promised 5mph winds were replaced by something a little fresher! Not too bad, but enough for most of us to lose around 30 seconds in the second mile and around 10 in first part of third mile before the turn. All in all, I was a little disappointed at first with my time of 18.03, but in the context of the conditions and my highest ever mileage, to be 7 secs off a pb isn't too badimage 5k before the race, 12.xxm straight after to make up the long SLOW (oh, it was....) run and a pm 4.2m recovery run to finish off the week. Good news is that my schedule has me doing lots of speedwork over the next 8 weeksimageWeekly stats- with a few miles lost through glute thing: 96.61m in 12.23.49 (7.42 av- pace ) Best news of all- glute issue totally goneimage 

• Hi guys,

Not been around these parts for a while,just checking in to say im still alive and kicking,cancelled my Nessie plans for this year due to Mrs YC expecting our first baby mid October.

Running wise ive still been going out every week and getting in between 25- 30 miles a week,didnt have any plans for races this year  until a young lad i work with wanted to do Dundee half in July,hes never ran much before and im glad too say i give him advice on building up sensibly and on the day i paced him round the half in 1.57 xx,he was over the moon with that and so he should be,as i soon as i crossed the line the old racing buzz came back for me and have been thinking of entering the great scottish half in early October to see how close i can get to my pb (1.49.03).

Mrs Yc is fine with this even though its quite close to her due date so gonna make my mind up this week.

Consistent easy mileage has even put a little bit of pace back in my old legs again so alls good

• Good to hear from you YC and good coaching image

Glad the glute's OK now JSN

NN never done Snowdon before (and only raced outside Scotland twice!image) but looking forwards to it.Will also be my first unaccompanied race as Elspeth will not be coming down with me.

SM6 you're making me feel old!image Good running

Channon everyone has down days. We can't be 100% motivated all the time (although a race date does tend to focus the mind a bit)

FionaC - good long run image

Plan - Day off so middling run today (9/10)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

Congratulations.

YC & Mrs YC,

Congratulations, hope everything goes well.

--------

Thanks & well done on everyone's training.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on yesterday's double.  Great week's total - you're really clocking up those milesimage

NP well done on the parkrun pacing, and good work on your hill

HM good you got some done, at leastimage

NN nice long run and well done on getting back up to 50m againimage

OH congratulationsimage. Enjoy the run todayimage

Fiona well done on the long run - great pace and HRimage

MG welcome back, hope you're not too jet-lagged

Stuart well done on that speedy 12 - good week's mileage too

Channon keep on plugging away - you'll turn a corner soonimage

Jason sorry you just missed a PB at the Welsh Champs - well done on a big day's total, a great week too, and glad to hear the glute is ok.

YC welcome backimage

---

6m recovery at sub70%maxHR this morning, legs very heavy from the weekend. 

• 10 miles done this mornning followed by short paddle this afternoon
    (and no paracetamol since yesterday)image

• OH - Good running, and kayaking(?) todayimage

Tek - Nice wee run today, not surprised the legs are feeling heavy after parkrun and yesterdays tough LR!

YC - Good to hear you are still getting the miles in! I think the Great Scottish half course this year is meant to be pretty damn flat, not that it wasn't flat before...

Jason - Nice 5k timeimage Good mileage again this week!

Stewart - Impressive total for the week, even without a long run in there. Good luck for next weeks half.

----------

4.6 miles @ 9:08

Hadn't really wanted to run today, but it makes things easier for me during the week as I now only have to run twice (a 6 and a 10 hopefully) between now and Friday. Felt harder than it should have, but that might be due to having run 9 of the last 10 days which I haven't ran as consistanly all year.

Back to work tonight so doubt I'll continue quite as consistanly, but if I can run 40 mile weeks off 5 runs until the end of next month I'll be confident for my half in October.